Page 35 of 115 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... He looks like an in-shape Zion.
    No, just nope! Zion is an All-NBA FREAK in physical terms. Toppin's a good NBA athelete... On the topic of who to draft, Pokusevski is the highest potential guy who I think might be available at 11, but he's definitely not the safest best...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, just nope! Zion is an All-NBA FREAK in physical terms. Toppin's a good NBA athelete... On the topic of who to draft, Pokusevski is the highest potential guy who I think might be available at 11, but he's definitely not the safest best...
    You don't pass up on ubers for raw players just because they might have potential. That's how you end up with Samanic over Clarke.

Plus who knows what an in-shape Zion would look like athletically? Most of what is so amazing about him is what he can do at that weight.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't pass up on ubers for raw players just because they might have potential. That's how you end up with Samanic over Clarke.

Plus who knows what an in-shape Zion would look like athletically? Most of what is so amazing about him is what he can do at that weight.
    People also said that about LeBron. And Shaq. And....DeJuan Blair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all of them, their weight/size was a part. The ones who weren't Blair didn't need the weight. Blair wouldn't've need it as much either if he could shoot. I'm not saying Zion doesn't have skills. He definitely does. I'm saying that he'd be way more guardable if he didn't outweight most centers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1) Depends on how likely you think Poku is to realize said potential (and whether or not you think Toppin will bust, because he's never been close to being even a bad NBA level defender; he's really bad defensively).
    2) We've seen something that resembled an in-shape Zion at the start of this season... And yeah, the thing that makes him freakish and unguardable is that combination of mass, speed and hops.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You talk about saddiq Bey I think. He could be a solid pick imo, he improves a lot this year with Villanova.
    I like him.
    Yeah, the other Bey (Tyler) isn't going in that range.

He needs to rebound better, but besides that, he's big, strong and athletic enough to where he can be a plus defender. He'd have to get better at passing to be a true first option, but if defensive potential with elite offensive skills was enough to get Walker drafted, it's enough for Toppin. He looks like an in-shape Zion.
    I realize his skillset is more so along the lines of a big wing, like Siakam or Kuzma than it is a traditional big, but very difficult for that type to be a first option in today's game.

Even Siakam, he kind of is, but his efficiency has plummeted in the role and they're really more of an ensemble cast.

What the Spurs need, is a combination of go-to scoring and playmaking, but the latter is slightly more pressing (White is the only young player who can make plays out of p-n-r). That's primarily why they should be looking to trade up and targeting Avdija, Hayes or Haliburton. That and 1.5 of the first two are international, so if by chance they become a star, they're far less likely to force their way out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Depends on how likely you think Poku is to realize said potential (and whether or not you think Toppin will bust, because he's never been close to being even a bad NBA level defender; he's really bad defensively).
    2) We've seen something that resembled an in-shape Zion at the start of this season... And yeah, the thing that makes him freakish and unguardable is that combination of mass, speed and hops.
    Im not agree with the D argument if Toppin is bad then what is poku ? He can't guard nban players now.

I agree about the potential argument and I could be wrong on a few yeaes but Spurs needs ready players not a project like poku.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just started looking at players. It's gotta be Toppin. Trade up if you need to. It's gotta be him. He's one of the ubers this year. Thinking he'll fall because of his age, so there's a good chance he's there between 7 and 11. Make the move.
    Ok with that. He could be what the Spurs needs and you're right in another post offensively He will Be Ok but He needs to be a better defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point, Sam pretty much has to be a legit All-Star to make him the better pick than Clarke. Brandon's already a good NBA-caliber rotation player and still have room to improve. I'm obviously hoping Luka makes that jump, but there's something to be said about just picking guys who are good players and not worrying about age. Look at Brogdon and Murray as another example -- one which I think led to the Spurs picking White the next year. There's a difference between actual upside and theoretical upside. Like Murray's theoretical upside might be higher than White's because he's longer and a bit faster. But that supposes Murray becomes a much better player in like every facet to a point that is just not realistic. He's not better than White and in most likelihoods, that will not change. I think Sam's theoretical upside is higher than Clarke's, but I am much less sure that the actual upside is.

But yeah, I do think I'm being bullish on Toppin and that may be unwarranted. I'm seeing a guy who is dominating his level of ball and can do so without dominating the ball. That means he can work with the young guards on the team, and his range and handles makes it to where he can fit with Poeltl. I think Toppin could even slide up to center in small-ball lineups, so in the event Samanic becomes a rotation player, I could see all of the young players sharing the court for stretches. I'd worry about the holes in his game later. First, the defense should be good with White, Johnson and Poeltl. And the team needs a go-to scorer more than they need an ace. The D will improve by not playing Forbes and by having guys buy in, but the offense relies too much on inconsistent players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I realize his skillset is more so along the lines of a big wing, like Siakam or Kuzma than it is a traditional big, but very difficult for that type to be a first option in today's game.

Even Siakam, he kind of is, but his efficiency has plummeted in the role and they're really more of an ensemble cast.

What the Spurs need, is a combination of go-to scoring and playmaking, but the latter is slightly more pressing (White is the only young player who can make plays out of p-n-r). That's primarily why they should be looking to trade up and targeting Avdija, Hayes or Haliburton. That and 1.5 of the first two are international, so if by chance they become a star, they're far less likely to force their way out.
    I think the play-making will be fine as Walker, Johnson and White continue to grow. I'd like for the team to get another PG to actually run the second unit, but they don't need to draft such a player. I also think having a guy like Toppin will open up play-making for other players because he's going to have a lot of gravity, especially as a roll-man or as a cutter. I could totally see the Spurs bringing in a guard if DeRozan leaves. I think Beli and Forbes are on their way out, and the team will replace them.

But I like Avdija a lot too and wouldn't be mad at all if he's the pick higher up. Don't know much about the PGs though. I don't know that I'd consider them worth trading up for AND giving up on getting a good forward. Not saying they're not. Just too many unknowns. Obviously though, if PATFO thinks a guy is worth it, you have to trust them. I haven't loved some of their recent picks, but they deserve a chance to fail at a high pick before I assume the worst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Greg Oden . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tier 1

Avdija - possibly the fastest forward in the draft. Crafty on offense, like Manu. High level bball IQ, like having another Derrick White on the team. Knows what it takes to win. Guaranteed not to be lost on the court. High chance to play on the main squad in his first year.

Onyeka Okongwu - one word: Defense. Allowed 15 points in the paint for 15 games. Switchable. Imagine having Anthony Davis on defense, that's Okongwu. Would help our defense instantly.

Toppin - Equivalent to Blake Griffin. Will struggle on defense when switching against guards.

Tier 2

Tyler Bey - perfect Spur personality-wise. Defensive beast. Best as a 3.5, will get abused by big and strong forwards though. Has a nice post game, mid range shot is money. High floor, probably not a high ceiling.

Precious Achiuwa - Major advantage in size and athleticism. Capable of playing as a big wing. Very switchable on defense. His body is NBA ready, looks like he spends a lot of time in the gym... Has almost 0% body fat (exaggeration). Bball IQ needs to improve.

Patrick Williams - young, potential to be a wing. Has good form on his shot. Not very explosive, so ceiling may not be high. Huge gamble, may turn out to be a Paul George/ T-Mac type or may bust hard like Josh Huestis.

Isaiah Stewart - Big body, not super athletic. Huge wing span. Very strong. Old school 4 unless he works on his agility and shot. Potential to be a modern Zach Randolph

Tier 3

Jalen Smith - comparable to Serge Ibaka
    Paul Reed - Stromile Swift vibes, but maybe better
    Daniel Oturu - Lamarcus Aldridge vibes
    Zeke Nnaji - Jokic vibes
    Xavier Tillman - Dwayne Dedmon vibes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This video shows the good and bad of Tyler Bey

He has more good towards the second half of the video, probably because he got better as the season went on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tier 1

Avdija - possibly the fastest forward in the draft. Crafty on offense, like Manu. High level bball IQ, like having another Derrick White on the team. Knows what it takes to win. Guaranteed not to be lost on the court. High chance to play on the main squad in his first year.

Onyeka Okongwu - one word: Defense. Allowed 15 points in the paint for 15 games. Switchable. Imagine having Anthony Davis on defense, that's Okongwu. Would help our defense instantly.

Toppin - Equivalent to Blake Griffin. Will struggle on defense when switching against guards.
    You eliminated Wiseman and Anthony Edwards because they wouldn't be available, right?

In any event, that First Tier looks pretty good. Can't disagree in the least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deni is number one by the mile. Unfortunately I can see the Warriors taking him as he may be perfect in their system as another playmaker . Patrick Williams I think is going to be a really good player from what I have seen. He will be the realistic pick at number 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You eliminated Wiseman and Anthony Edwards because they wouldn't be available, right?

In any event, that First Tier looks pretty good. Can't disagree in the least.
    Honestly, I just have a sense that the Spurs have invested too much on Poetl to give up on him and move onto a new center... Thats why im not really considering centers to be taken if we land a top pick.

Anthony, well, i watched an interview with this kid and he couldnt be more Anti-Spur. If you want to lose brain cells, listen to him speak...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing with Patrick Williams is he probably wont be a contributor until his 2nd or 3rd year. I dont know about other Spur fans, but im hoping for a game changer this year to turn it around and help the Spurs return to former glory... Or at least be good enough to be a key cog on offense or defense to help us be compe ive / consistent again. Patrick is too young and his body leaves much to be desired... Almost has as much muscle as Kyle Anderson which worries me about his work ethic...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This video shows the good and bad of Patrick Williams, 1 hour of good info

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, I just have a sense that the Spurs have invested too much on Poetl to give up on him and move onto a new center... Thats why im not really considering centers to be taken if we land a top pick.

Anthony, well, i watched an interview with this kid and he couldnt be more Anti-Spur. If you want to lose brain cells, listen to him speak...
    I think they know talent trumps all. Just with Murray, Walker and even White wouldn't stop the Spurs from drafting an elite guard, the Spurs will draft Wiseman without considering Poeltl. That's even more true given that Jakob will stilll be a free agent when the draft happens and could end up getting a big deal from like Detroit. Can't speak on Edwards too much, but if he's got the talent and he's there, you do it. If we're talking 11 or 10, you don't pass up on elite talent for anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm warming up to Patrick Williams... My observation is that he takes no ugly shot. Every shot is a good shot. He has a smooth style to his game. Lack of first step and explosiveness is still a concern.

My tier 2 board changes:

Precious and Pat are equal
    Tyler Bey
    then
    Isaiah Stewart

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they know talent trumps all. Just with Murray, Walker and even White wouldn't stop the Spurs from drafting an elite guard, the Spurs will draft Wiseman without considering Poeltl. That's even more true given that Jakob will stilll be a free agent when the draft happens and could end up getting a big deal from like Detroit. Can't speak on Edwards too much, but if he's got the talent and he's there, you do it. If we're talking 11 or 10, you don't pass up on elite talent for anything.
    Yes, I know you're really convinced of that (talent precedes everything) but we will just have agree to disagree. Spurs love their continuity.

As far as Edwards goes, Spurs also love good character. I'm telling you, there is no chance in the Spurs would draft a bad apple even if that apple was elite talent... Especially not after Kawhi. This guy's ego is through the roof. I'll believe more on your first point than I would ever believe your second.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiseman is who I want more than anybody else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I know you're really convinced of that (talent precedes everything) but we will just have agree to disagree. Spurs love their continuity.
    I just don't think that's an opinion. They don't work that way. Their defining move was drafting a center when they already had a HoF center. They literally don't care about that and are perfectly happy to play guys out of position if need be. They'd be much more inclined to draft Wiseman and start him next to Poeltl than they would be to pass up on Wiseman because Jakob's there. And again, you're ignoring that Jakob won't even be there, because he's a free agent who's at least going to look at other teams. By no means would that prevent the Spurs from drafting the top talent in the draft. I think you can disagree on his talent (I don't know much about him and haven't been in love with the little I've seen), but I think the opinion that the Spurs draft around players is objectively false.

I also think it's weird to think the Spurs have "invested" a lot in Poeltl when they don't even start him when healthy. You might mean that they'll keep him because he was part of the Kawhi trade and that letting him go would be losing out on some of the value they got from their future HoFer. But at some point they'd have to let that go. If they think Wiseman is the best player in the draft, then passing up on him to not look bad for moving on from Poeltl would be a worse mistake than taking that bad package from Toronto in the first place.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we have no assets to land wiseman guys

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just don't think that's an opinion. They don't work that way. Their defining move was drafting a center when they already had a HoF center. They literally don't care about that and are perfectly happy to play guys out of position if need be. They'd be much more inclined to draft Wiseman and start him next to Poeltl than they would be to pass up on Wiseman because Jakob's there. And again, you're ignoring that Jakob won't even be there, because he's a free agent who's at least going to look at other teams. By no means would that prevent the Spurs from drafting the top talent in the draft. I think you can disagree on his talent (I don't know much about him and haven't been in love with the little I've seen), but I think the opinion that the Spurs draft around players is objectively false.

I also think it's weird to think the Spurs have "invested" a lot in Poeltl when they don't even start him when healthy. You might mean that they'll keep him because he was part of the Kawhi trade and that letting him go would be losing out on some of the value they got from their future HoFer. But at some point they'd have to let that go. If they think Wiseman is the best player in the draft, then passing up on him to not look bad for moving on from Poeltl would be a worse mistake than taking that bad package from Toronto in the first place.
    For sure the Spurs will Go with the BPA. I don't know if they will draft a pg tough with Murray and white but everything is possible with the way they draft.

we have no assets to land wiseman guys
    Lottery luck.

Thread Information