Page 55 of 115 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2866
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't have to be the same size as a guy to guard him. I know nothing about Vassell. I'm not sure I even want to know. But we're talking about perimeter players here. Positioning, instincts and tenacity go way more important. Plus, the idea of checking stars with guys one-on-one went away six years ago. Run good, switchable defenders and help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And, fwiw, I already said I changed my tune about Vassell and Williams, I would rather draft Patrick. But if he's no longer available by the time the Spurs have to pick, Vassell is still a pretty solid get. The kid seems like a sure thing as a 3 and D guy for years to come in the NBA. He has almost no weaknesses on defense, aside from the fact that he could put on a bit more weight, but taking that away, he has everything on that side of the floor: lateral movement, awareness, active hands, relentless motor. Pop would cream himself over Vassell's defensive rotations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf? Theres a difference between what position they play and what size their position usually is. Im referring to the latter. LeBron is a 1 but you shouldnt have ing Murray guarding him. Weird argument you have here. Vassell doesnt have the size is my clear point. He cant guard Kawhi, George, or LeBron. Not Giannis, Siakam, and more.
    To me, this is kinda the whole football mindset. I get we have different povs but mine is more you plan for your division and then you're conference. Siakam and Giannis are non-factors to me. We play them twice a year and Giannis is MVP so nobody is really guarding him. Vassell totally can guard George Paul. If the random no-name Mavs wing players can hold him to 4-17 and Portland the year before kept him in check then I have faith. The Lebron comment was a joke btw and no rookie wil be able to guard Kawhi anyway.

The majority of the best players in our division are shorter than Vassell. The majority of the conferences best players are shorter than him and his lack of weight won't be an issue. Though he should put on 15 pounds by the time he's 23-24. He's a stick, I will give you that, but he has length to help him. I'm not expecting an All-star. Honestly I want our role players filled in first before we pull of KA's "luck into a superstar draft pick plan."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like a 3-D guy like a few other posters have mentioned. The Spurs defense has been terrible the last few years and a lot of it has to do with not having a legit 3. If the Spurs get a good 3-D defender than the Spurs can start to become a good defensive team again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't have to be the same size as a guy to guard him. I know nothing about Vassell. I'm not sure I even want to know. But we're talking about perimeter players here. Positioning, instincts and tenacity go way more important. Plus, the idea of checking stars with guys one-on-one went away six years ago. Run good, switchable defenders and help.
    Sure, but I dont know about you but for the last several years we havent had a competent switchable defender who can effectively guard the Giannises, Siakams, LeBrons.

Are you telling me size doesnt matter to guard these guys and its just positioning, instincts, and tenacity? They will literally shoot over Vassell or play bully ball and cause him to fall over. I just disagree, strength and length matters a bunch and im tired of seeing an undersized team. Look at the Clips, size helps them defend because they have all these lengthy defenders. Marcus Morris is not some defensive stud but he can check Doncic because he wont be bodied by him. Doncic absolutely abuses Patrick Beverley... Who is an example of what you describe here of "positioning, instinct, and tenacity".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs need to be willing to trade up to get their guy, whether than's Toppin or Neismith or Okongwu or Williams or whomever else. I'd prefer to get a pick if the team is trading any of their rotation players as opposed to just moving up, but for the right guy you do it. I wouldn't be opposed to moving down if the team's guy is taken, but only if the deal gets the team a second first-rounder this year. I like the middle of the draft for front-court depth. Ideally, such a pick comes for a DeRozan trade, with the Spurs getting their guy with the higher pick. But you do what you can.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like a lot could change. Heard chatter that teams may draft more known prospects, like a Tobbin or Vassell, because of the virus and changes its caused. May cause some prospects to drop that may not have in previous years...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised more people aren’t on the Precious Achiuwa hype train, I think he’s exactly what we need

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is gonna be a long two months

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surprised more people aren’t on the Precious Achiuwa hype train, I think he’s exactly what we need
    He looks like an undersized center to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep ..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but I dont know about you but for the last several years we havent had a competent switchable defender who can effectively guard the Giannises, Siakams, LeBrons.

Are you telling me size doesnt matter to guard these guys and its just positioning, instincts, and tenacity? They will literally shoot over Vassell or play bully ball and cause him to fall over. I just disagree, strength and length matters a bunch and im tired of seeing an undersized team. Look at the Clips, size helps them defend because they have all these lengthy defenders. Marcus Morris is not some defensive stud but he can check Doncic because he wont be bodied by him. Doncic absolutely abuses Patrick Beverley... Who is an example of what you describe here of "positioning, instinct, and tenacity".
    Doncic has owned Morris one on one. He's torched everybody on the Clippers the last two games including PG,#2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just miss being able to say... "We have a LeBron stopper"

you Kawhi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic has owned Morris one on one. He's torched everybody on the Clippers the last two games including PG,#2.
    Doncic would score double that on DeMar (close to the same size as Vassell)

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA + #11 for #2

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic would score double that on DeMar (close to the same size as Vassell)
    Doncic got over 40 in game 1 against the Clippers and would have had another 40 point game had he not gotten in foul trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah your right from what I’ve heard he wants to be more of a forward tho but I do think he would be best as a small ball center. Seen a lot of people compare him to Bam Adebayo. I mean having a big forward like pat Williams would be good too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with Dejounte (see? It can happen!), even though one on one defense isn't as important as it used to be, that doesn't mean size and length aren't as important as they used to be on defense. Those things will always be part of the game in close outs, grabbing contested rebounds, getting to lose balls, blocking vision, disrupting passing lanes, etc.

You can have the grittiest, smartest defenders of all time but if they are all under 6'6" you are going to get torched.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic got over 40 in game 1 against the Clippers and would have had another 40 point game had he not gotten in foul trouble.
    Doncic's breaking Kobe's record against us then...

I just want someone to show me tape of Vassell guarding a legit >6'7" and >220 lb forward (or guard, whatever) because Spurs fans really think he's good at doing that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To get whom? It's not worth it, imho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah your right from what I’ve heard he wants to be more of a forward tho but I do think he would be best as a small ball center. Seen a lot of people compare him to Bam Adebayo. I mean having a big forward like pat Williams would be good too
    Precious is my 1B. He's one of the strongest players in the draft and wont be bullied by the players I'm mentioning here. His lateral quickness is good, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Four inches is not a foot. They'd shoot over a 6-1 guy, not a 6-7 guy.

Keldon Johnson and Derrick White are both good Doncic defenders, and White's shown to be a perfectly fine Leonard defender for two years in a row. You're not going to stop stars in today's league, but you certain can blunt their impact enough to allow your offensive players to win.

I don't prefer a shorter guy over a taller one. I prefer a good defender over a bigger body, though. You don't not draft a player because there might be a guy too big for him to guard. That's especially true when you're talking about drafting a three to guard a four.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can have the grittiest, smartest defenders of all time but if they are all under 6'6" you are going to get torched.
    Tony Allen?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    which 2 months?

Silver says he's thinking 1 Dec is too early, but no decision.

Probably 300K+ dead from Trash-Made Pandemic by 3 Nov,

maybe more when the flu season is supposed to make it all worse.

Thread Information