Page 72 of 115 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2866
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're referring to Jalen as a Rui clone, I think that's not a good comparison. Rui loves taking inefficient mid-range shots and tries to play like a Kawhi clone...and fails badly at it. I think the dude is a blackhole on offense because he needs shots to be effective. As you can tell, not a big Rui fan lmao.
    Where did I ever mention Jalen Smith’s name? Is this a Jalen Smith thread?

I said that Luka sucks against NBA compe ion and in all likelihood will continue to suck against NBA compe ion. He lacks aggression and eye hand coordination is not on par. Odds are he will end up being a bust for a 1st round pick, even at #19. Until the kid shows something management shouldn’t make roster decisions/draft selections based on Luka being on the team.

Rui had a good rookie year. Quick google search and you can find 2 different references rating him as having the 6th or 7th best season out of his rookie class. My opinion is that having a “Rui” on this team would be great.

obviously you don’t like Rui’s game. I’m not looking to argue or go back & forth with you on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka in all likelihood will be a bust. Rooting for him, but just being realistic.

A Rui Hachimura clone would be perfect
    He did his year in Austin, and got one game’s worth of Real minutes and did quite well. He’s further ahead after one year than Metu is after two. Not sure why your even mentioning likely bust at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where did I ever mention Jalen Smith’s name? Is this a Jalen Smith thread?

I said that Luka sucks against NBA compe ion and in all likelihood will continue to suck against NBA compe ion. He lacks aggression and eye hand coordination is not on par. Odds are he will end up being a bust for a 1st round pick, even at #19. Until the kid shows something management shouldn’t make roster decisions/draft selections based on Luka being on the team.

Rui had a good rookie year. Quick google search and you can find 2 different references rating him as having the 6th or 7th best season out of his rookie class. My opinion is that having a “Rui” on this team would be great.

obviously you don’t like Rui’s game. I’m not looking to argue or go back & forth with you on this.
    Oh, sassy. I misunderstood you. That's all. Sorry papi

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, sassy. I misunderstood you. That's all. Sorry papi
    Wasn’t trying to be rude, apologies if I came off this way. Carry on

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're referring to Jalen as a Rui clone, I think that's not a good comparison. Rui loves taking inefficient mid-range shots and tries to play like a Kawhi clone...and fails badly at it. I think the dude is a blackhole on offense because he needs shots to be effective. As you can tell, not a big Rui fan lmao.
    Never was a big fan of Rui either. I was suprised he went as high as he did. Blackhole is about as accurate as it gets for him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Smith has shades of Pascal Siakam. The glaring difference is Smith doesn't have Siakam's driving ability (which is a huge part of who Siakam is). But that's how I see Smith could be. Maybe Smith can develop that part of his game in the future? I did see one or two plays where he attacked the basket on a closeout.

Let me put it this way: I think Smith's versatility on defense is better than Patrick Williams' right now. It's not even because Pat doesn't try, because he does. Smith simply has the intangibles and footwork (which may be due to the difference in their athleticism). Not saying Pat won't improve or become better.
    Do you think he can move well enough laterally in space to switch out on wings (or 4's)? I'm skeptical... I think he checks alot of other boxes though. He might be able to compensate for what I think is a liability by putting in work on his lower body.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you think he can move well enough laterally in space to switch out on wings (or 4's)? I'm skeptical... I think he checks alot of other boxes though. He might be able to compensate for what I think is a liability by putting in work on his lower body.
    He moves better than most of the (tall) forward prospects I have watched. He moves his hips correctly and the footwork is excellent. I haven't been doing timestamps for the previous videos I've posted, but I'll try to do some tonight when I watch more tape. He guarded bigs twice his size in college so I don't see why NBA 4s would be an issue. If you mean chasing stretch 4s, I still think he's fast enough. Same with wings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He moves better than most of the (tall) forward prospects I have watched. He moves his hips correctly and the footwork is excellent. I haven't been doing timestamps for the previous videos I've posted, but I'll try to do some tonight when I watch more tape. He guarded bigs twice his size in college so I don't see why NBA 4s would be an issue. If you mean chasing stretch 4s, I still think he's fast enough. Same with wings.
    Good to know...and yes I was referring to chasing 4's and wings..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick one I found at the 3:00 mark

Not a great example because the player didn't move around much. I'll try to find some more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quick one I found at the 3:00 mark

Not a great example because the player didn't move around much. I'll try to find some more.
    Better example: check out 7:01 mo7888

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely has that twitch you always look for I can easily see him guarding 2 - 4 with no problems he has the foot speed and his lateral quickness is very good. The thing I like about the kid is he a total package in that he is a great defender getting you second chance points off rebounds and blocks he has a high basketball IQ just knows where to be. On the offense side he gets points around the rim he has good hops being very athletic he has decent mid range and projects to be a decent 3 point shooter.

The other thing is just like his at ude the kid seems very well grounded and seems to have the desire to get better definitely won’t worry about him not doing everything he can do to become a better player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He definitely has that twitch you always look for I can easily see him guarding 2 - 4 with no problems he has the foot speed and his lateral quickness is very good. The thing I like about the kid is he a total package in that he is a great defender getting you second chance points off rebounds and blocks he has a high basketball IQ just knows where to be. On the offense side he gets points around the rim he has good hops being very athletic he has decent mid range and projects to be a decent 3 point shooter.

The other thing is just like his at ude the kid seems very well grounded and seems to have the desire to get better definitely won’t worry about him not doing everything he can do to become a better player.
    Duuuude, the rebounds he makes when the game is on the line is insane. He also knows how to tip the rebound to his teammate kind of like how Tim Duncan used to do. He thinks fast and seems like a winner. I've been watching these games and he REALLY makes his presence felt at the end of the games. The big thing to me is he doesn't need to have the ball in his hands to make an impact. I love these kinds of players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better example: check out 7:01 mo7888
    Good find...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Smith covered by draft-related Podcasts. Pull them up on your preferred podcast app or just google for these episodes, they're not hard to find

Prep2Pro episode 35, timestamp 1:08:57. From August 2nd, these guys are way down on him.

Draft Dummies episode 6, from May 8, timestamp 61:29. Not as down as Prep2Pro.

I have yet to watch full games though these podcasts do point to some with specific examples of what they see and use in their judgements.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen Smith covered by draft-related Podcasts. Pull them up on your preferred podcast app or just google for these episodes, they're not hard to find

Prep2Pro episode 35, timestamp 1:08:57. From August 2nd, these guys are way down on him.

Draft Dummies episode 6, from May 8, timestamp 61:29. Not as down as Prep2Pro.

I have yet to watch full games though these podcasts do point to some with specific examples of what they see and use in their judgements.
    I'll give it a listen because I try to be as unbiased as possible. I love what I see so far though. Not sure how in-depth they will go or if I will agree or disagree. We will see.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't remember if I made a video post about him before and the control panel search feature is disabled, so if I'm repeating myself apologies in advance.

Saben Lee - 21 y/o junior.

32.9 mpg, 18.6 pts, 4.2 ast, 3.5 rb, 6.4 fta, 1.5 st. 48.3% fg, 32.2% 3pt. 75.2 ft%

Listed measurements: 6-2 with a 6-9 wingspan

MISC stuff pulled from the Draft Dummies podcast episode 21 timestamp approx 32 minutes. 1 of only 11 college players last 10 seasons his size or smaller to have at least 24 dunks in a season. 86th percentile pnr, 88th percentile iso, 91st percentile pull-up jumpers

Frequently mocked as a second rounder or undrafted, I'm not projecting him as a future all-star. , maybe pick 42 or whatever the Spurs have in the second is too high as there could be better prospects there. I just think he's fun to watch (probably a lot less fun if he doesn't get that 3pt shooting better). I think I'd enjoy him as a 3rd string/2-way point guard. I enjoy his craftiness around the rim, and the dunks help.

Peachtree Hoops scouting report

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/ZachMilner13/sta...41871197163521

if this tweet linking works :

Painted Lines Scouting Report:

Lee ranked in the 92nd percentile among non post up finishes around the basket ... Least season, Lee attempted over 200 free throws (2nd in the SEC)

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lee ranked in the 92nd percentile among non post up finishes around the basket ... Least season, Lee attempted over 200 free throws (2nd in the SEC)
    Not gonna make any direct comparisons here, just gonna say that the Spurs had a pretty successful 6'2" guy who was great at finishing in the paint...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually liked what I saw from Lee. Like I would prefer him to Weatherspoon, but Quinn is already on the team and isn't so bad as to not remain on it. Maybe he leaves to go overseas or something. Anyway, yeah, Lee seems like a heady player who isn't afraid of the moment, and he has good athleticism. If his defense is good, he'll get a shot in the league. For the Spurs, they'd need to lose a couple of guards before they can think of using a pick on one that isn't special. But Lee's penetration is at least intriguing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we are considering 2nd rounders now. Abdoulaye N'doye.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So with both Saben Lee and Aaron Nesmith (40% of the lineup), Vanderbilt was 11-21.

The NBA must be salivating.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So with both Saben Lee and Aaron Nesmith (40% of the lineup), Vanderbilt was 11-21.

The NBA must be salivating.
    They weren't a good team. But for what it's worth, Nesmith only played 14 games before he was hurt. Vanderbilt was 8-6 in those games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They weren't a good team. But for what it's worth, Nesmith only played 14 games before he was hurt. Vanderbilt was 8-6 in those games.
    Good point but that 8-6 was against early season non-conference patsies -- the kind than an SEC doormat like Vanderbilt feasts upon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft Dummies previously did an episode focused on the Spurs draft with some Spurs blog writer or something.

Episode 13, from June 27

It covers Okongwu, Vassell, Okoro, Avdija, and Williams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prep2Pro comments on Jalen Smith:

-doesnt know role in NBA
    -best skill is rim protector on weakside
    -wildly immobile
    -hips narrow
    -cant chase people off the ball
    -would get beat up in general
    -no change in direction
    -weird prospect
    -defensively brutal
    -fine gamble in the second round
    -defense bad, offense fine enough

Okay.... My first thought? Who the are these guys, objective ? Their scouting of Jalen ing sucks.

I'm gonna give their ty takes a chance and watch a few more games just to review each of their points and see through their lens. I don't want to address each point yet with my emotions and preconceived notions about Jalen. I want to make sure.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 08-31-2020 at 12:36 AM.

Thread Information