Page 38 of 115 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could our disjointed offense for most of the season and their (likely better) offense be the reason for the staggering difference? Just saying... We ran a ISO centric offense ( DeMar) whilst they ran a transition heavy offense... Brandon's stats could be inflated.
    Clarke pretty much does on offense what Poeltl should be doing. He runs on the break, he cuts, he rolls, he finishes, he gets put-backs. That's definitely a style that can lead to better offensive stats. Lyles is just a completely different player, and his ability to space the floor definitely suggests he fits better with a DeRozan/Murray/Aldridge starting lineup than Clarke would. But had they run White, Walker, DeRozan, Clarke, Aldridge, I think Brandon would've been just fine. It would've taken some adjustment, but they could've stuck with that front court longer than they could with Poeltl and Aldridge together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could our disjointed offense for most of the season and their (likely better) offense be the reason for the staggering difference? Just saying... We ran a ISO centric offense ( DeMar) whilst they ran a transition heavy offense... Brandon's stats could be inflated.
    They play a faster style that is suited for his talent for sure but Brandon is talented. It's not all dunks, he can shoot some (though not in volume), and he's skilled with a hook shot, very efficient getting his shot against bigger guys and is a decent passer. He's a very solid player overall. He would look great with the young spurs. IMO, it was a miss by the Spurs. Not like a Jokic sized miss, or Jimmy Butler sized miss, but still a miss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clarke pretty much does on offense what Poeltl should be doing. He runs on the break, he cuts, he rolls, he finishes, he gets put-backs. That's definitely a style that can lead to better offensive stats. Lyles is just a completely different player, and his ability to space the floor definitely suggests he fits better with a DeRozan/Murray/Aldridge starting lineup than Clarke would. But had they run White, Walker, DeRozan, Clarke, Aldridge, I think Brandon would've been just fine. It would've taken some adjustment, but they could've stuck with that front court longer than they could with Poeltl and Aldridge together.
    Yea, I agree with that too. He's definitely more offensively skilled than Jakob and also can shoot some. Not a guy that you can completely ignore at the 3 either. Has some kind of midrange game too, I have seen him take shots outside the paint, unlike traditional rim runner bigs or traditional Jakob type center.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kinda seeing the light regarding Centers who have no outside game are kinda obsolete- If Poodle was playing with Tony, Timmy, Manu he would have been a perfect fit big guy setting picks and grabbing rebounds. However, with this team we don’t have enough shooters/playmakers where you can go a whole game and only get get 2 or 6 points a game. I guess that will be a question that Poop and RC will have to answer if they don’t want him I hope they can work a trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Clarke played for SA Murray still was here and Clarke wouldn't get the ball as much as in Memphis. There's a difference playing with Morant or Murray. Even Tyus Jones is a better passer than Murray.

"He runs on the break, he cuts, he rolls, he finishes, he gets put-backs." - That describes perfectly what Poeltl does, plus setting screens (he's the overall leader in screen assists in the bubble).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who gives a about Clarke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Clarke played for SA Murray still was here and Clarke wouldn't get the ball as much as in Memphis. There's a difference playing with Morant or Murray. Even Tyus Jones is a better passer than Murray.

"He runs on the break, he cuts, he rolls, he finishes, he gets put-backs." - That describes perfectly what Poeltl does, plus setting screens (he's the overall leader in screen assists in the bubble).
    Yes and no. It's true that when Poeltl scores, he scores in those ways. What he doesn't do is constantly look to score in those ways. Clarke is constantly putting pressure on teams by being so aggressive. That provides the vertical spacing needed to make non-shooters work. Especially as a back-up there's no reason why Poeltl should not have developed a play style where he's already running down the court full tilt and bullying guys for rebounds en route to dunks. Even Eubanks is better at that.

Here's a video about that:

Hopefully at this point we can start to move on from the emphasis on Clarke in this thread. I brought him up basically to say that Toppin's age doesn't bother me and to introduce the idea that there are different level's of "ceilings" when talking about a player. The point was not to rehash the gripe from last year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and no. It's true that when Poeltl scores, he scores in those ways. What he doesn't do is constantly look to score in those ways. Clarke is constantly putting pressure on teams by being so aggressive. That provides the vertical spacing needed to make non-shooters work. Especially as a back-up there's no reason why Poeltl should not have developed a play style where he's already running down the court full tilt and bullying guys for rebounds en route to dunks. Even Eubanks is better at that.

Here's a video about that:

Hopefully at this point we can start to move on from the emphasis on Clarke in this thread. I brought him up basically to say that Toppin's age doesn't bother me and to introduce the idea that there are different level's of "ceilings" when talking about a player. The point was not to rehash the gripe from last year.
    Good video, thanks

I'll have to watch more Toppin. I haven't watched a lot for 2 reasons, 1 of course that he was usually ranked as a top 6 pick, and 2 being that his defense looked incredibly bad.

But I suppose that if he could be a big offensive weapon that shouldn't be ignored. Spurs will need other ways to generate points than just the young guards running around. Maybe the pluses outweigh the minuses.

I'll also have to watch more Deni, likewise with him I haven't watched a lot because of how high he's usually been ranked and out of Spurs likely reach.

---

Back on Samanic, it's looking like if the Spurs didn't want the safer older role players like Clarke or Thybulle and wanted a young, raw potential guy, then maybe Bazley should have been the guy. 6 months younger than Samanic and doesn't turn the ball over 4 times per 36 which Samanic has managed to do in both the g-league and his limited NBA minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Back on Samanic, it's looking like if the Spurs didn't want the safer older role players like Clarke or Thybulle and wanted a young, raw potential guy, then maybe Bazley should have been the guy. 6 months younger than Samanic and doesn't turn the ball over 4 times per 36 which Samanic has managed to do in both the g-league and his limited NBA minutes.
    Another argument for Clarke or Thybulle over Samanic - they match Derrick White's timeline. Based on how terrible he's looked, Luka will need years before he's ready to be a rotation player. Hollinger was also unimpressed with him when he was reviewing D-League players a few months ago:

As for Samanic, the Spurs’ 2019 first-rounder has played heavy minutes for Austin but seems a long way away from being a good G League player, much less helping the varsity. Samanic is 19 and physically immature, so to an extent, these were known bugs when San Antonio selected him with the 19th pick. But Samanic has a mammoth turnover rate for a stretch big (20.6 percent) with few assists to compensate – he committed a dozen miscues in two games this weekend, with just one dime. He hasn’t been able to nail down the “stretch” part of his job description either (30.7 percent on 3s).

The good news for San Antonio is that 29th pick Keldon Johnson seems further along – the high-motor swingman is a straight-line driver with a big motor who had a 25-point outing against Sioux Falls on Thursday. He still needs to tighten up his outside shooting (26.5 percent on 23s) and find teammates more often rather than just driving to score, but the 20-year-old seems on a trajectory toward becoming a helpful player in the mid-term future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who gives a about Clarke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clarke had a better statistical season as a rookie in the NBA than Samanic did against G-Leaguers. Samanic was one of only two players with a negative Win Shares rating on a team with a 24-18 record, and had the worst Offensive Rating on the entire team. He'll need to improve dramatically next year to merely be a better-than-average G leaguer. Clark is already an impact player in the NBA, and will likely be better next year. Right now, I'm guessing the Spurs would be thrilled if Samanic ever has a Clarke-like year of 12 ppg, 6 rpg, and a +3.4 BPM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Clarke won't win you a championship. You find players like him in free agency for cheap. So who cares? Spurs took a reach and we'll see how it pans out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably been discussed, but I think Milwaukee could be a spot for Rudy Gay.

Ilyasova and DJ Wilson after the turn of the new NBA season adds up money-wise and of course add in their pick they're getting from Indiana. Maybe they could even negotiate Ilyasova into moving his guarantee date back in return for a partial guarantee of 1-2 million.

Maybe Milwaukee will be desperate enough in what could be Giannis' last year to make that kind of move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably been discussed, but I think Milwaukee could be a spot for Rudy Gay.

Ilyasova and DJ Wilson after the turn of the new NBA season adds up money-wise and of course add in their pick they're getting from Indiana. Maybe they could even negotiate Ilyasova into moving his guarantee date back in return for a partial guarantee of 1-2 million.

Maybe Milwaukee will be desperate enough in what could be Giannis' last year to make that kind of move.
    I don't know if the Spurs could get a pick for Gay. If they like Wilson, maybe that would have to be enough. Or maybe the Spurs would have to find something to toss into the deal like their pick and/or rights to overseas guys. As far as the guarantee date, I think the league was able to get all of those pushed back to five days after the player's team is eliminated, so the teams should be able to do the deal. Remember though that non-guaranteed money doesn't factor into trade salaries anymore. I haven't looked at they numbers, but maybe that deal couldn't work now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Clarke won't win you a championship. You find players like him in free agency for cheap. So who cares? Spurs took a reach and we'll see how it pans out.
    You can literally say the same thing about Poeltl -- actually more so, because it's easier to find good centers for cheap now than good PFs. I'm perfectly happy to get off the Clarke tangent, but the idea that 12/6, high-efficiency and strong-impact role-players are a dime a dozen is just not right.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can literally say the same thing about Poeltl -- actually more so, because it's easier to find good centers for cheap now than good PFs. I'm perfectly happy to get off the Clarke tangent, but the idea that 12/6, high-efficiency and strong-impact role-players are a dime a dozen is just not right.
    Exactly. Poeltl was traded to the Spurs, not drafted by them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. Poeltl was traded to the Spurs, not drafted by them.
    Um, he was traded as a key part in a deal for a superstar. Like we can argue that it was a horrible deal, but in no way was he filler in the exchange. If Poeltl can have that kind of swing value in a trade, how does it make sense to argue that a rookie who's already as good as him, is younger and is in a much better contract situation a meh player?

I just think people feel like 12/6 guys with Clarke's metrics grow on threes. They really don't. He'd've been on of the top guys on the Spurs with that production.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Um, he was traded as a key part in a deal for a superstar. Like we can argue that it was a horrible deal, but in no way was he filler in the exchange. If Poeltl can have that kind of swing value in a trade, how does it make sense to argue that a rookie who's already as good as him, is younger and is in a much better contract situation a meh player?

I just think people feel like 12/6 guys with Clarke's metrics grow on threes. They really don't. He'd've been on of the top guys on the Spurs with that production.
    he was no key part and a 2nd year player, 22 years old. He was a filler that fit the bill best.
    oh, btw: Clarke is not better than Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're still talking about Clarke in a thread about the 2020 draft pick?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok question for Ragas and Chinook with regards to Precious Achiuwa do you see him as a good pick for us and who do you think is better him or Clarke?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Few players drafted at #19 are going to win you a championship. I think the point most people are making here is that Clarke would have given immediate value, and Samanic definitely did not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was no key part and a 2nd year player, 22 years old. He was a filler that fit the bill best.
    oh, btw: Clarke is not better than Poeltl.
    Yes he is or at least they're equal. Objectively, Clarke out played Poeltl this year.

Why do you think a guy drafted in the top 10 two seasons before is filler? Do you think the draft pick was filler too? Do you think Hill was filler in the Leonard trade too just because he was a third-year, 25-year-old?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, sometimes people forget how rare it can be to find a legit strong impact player. There was a post the other day about Dejounte where someone said he won't be a star, but will only be a good role player like Andre Iguodala... if Dejounte plays with the impact of a prime AI at any point in the next few years, the Spurs will be absolutely thrilled.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok question for Ragas and Chinook with regards to Precious Achiuwa do you see him as a good pick for us and who do you think is better him or Clarke?
    I don‘t know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you mean to say Clarke? It's a weird comparison unless there are rumors that the Grizz want to trade Brandon for a late-lotto pick or something. It's just derailing the thread more.

In general, I'm fine drafting Precious. I don't know anything about him, but on paper he fills a need. Looking at the stats, the dude seem raw, and I wouldn't draft him over Toppin. But I still trust PatFO to do the right thing.

Thread Information