We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    I’m not a fan of a 17 game season or expanded playoffs. The current format was fine. We don’t need more playoff teams.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I think they just wanted to have the revenue from an additional playoff game in the first round. It's already awkward to have them divide up the four among CBS, FOX, NBC and ESPN. Should be a little bit easier with six. But I'm not looking forward to all-day playoff football next January. It's just too involved, especially for two days straight.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    How is an odd number of regular season games going to work with respect to home and away? Are they going to have 16 neutral field games each season now?

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    How is an odd number of regular season games going to work with respect to home and away? Are they going to have 16 neutral field games each season now?
    yes, so nobody needs to give up a "home game" to london or Mexico if they don't want to.

16 neutral field games, to be played either internationally or in non-NFL cities. Maybe San Antonio, St Louis or Portland get a game. This matchup is an NFL-decided "marquee matchup" inter-conference game (one that would otherwise not take place in the regular season, but is high profile, such as having a Patriots vs Packers game more often during the Brady-Rodgers era for example... maybe the Packers play the Chiefs again to compensate for no Mahomes-Rodgers duel last year?) to be decided by the league based on how popular they think the matchup would be. The matchups would be subject to change every year based on how the NFL thinks would draw the best ratings.

This 17th game may ultimately make a difference in the standings, but it wouldn't be considered in tiebreakers (last priority).

Jacksonville owner has asked the league to play 2 games in London every year, so they'll still be giving up just 1 home game.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I think they just wanted to have the revenue from an additional playoff game in the first round. It's already awkward to have them divide up the four among CBS, FOX, NBC and ESPN. Should be a little bit easier with six. But I'm not looking forward to all-day playoff football next January. It's just too involved, especially for two days straight.
    I've always lobbied for 7 playoff teams per conference. I don't like the 17 games idea that much, but it might be fun. But 2 teams getting a first round bye is just ridiculous. It should be the ultimate reward for being THE BEST team in your entire conference all regular season, not merely one of the two best.

Plus, tripleheaders on wild card weekend will be amazing. Talk about a January stocking stuffer.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Imagine the sports world reaction when the first 2-7 matchup upset happens. It'll be pandemonium!

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    They should just go ahead and make it 8 playoffs team per conference. We all know it's going to end up there sooner or later.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    I thought the idea was to have an additonal regular season week but with teams still playing 16 games so that they could get 2 off weeks.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I thought the idea was to have an additonal regular season week but with teams still playing 16 games so that they could get 2 off weeks.
    Not a chance, it’s definitelt to add a 17th regular season game.

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    17 regular season games don't make sense at all, tbh.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Just a stupid change that didn't need to be made. Instead of trying to fix the current flaws and issues they completely ignore them in favor of this nonsense. The NFL is dying.

did they drop a preseason game?

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    players not neutering goodell's suspension powers

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    players not neutering goodell's suspension powers
    Yeah that’s the part I’m maybe most mystified by, how did the players approve a CBA that didn’t address his ability to suspend at all?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Not a chance, it’s definitelt to add a 17th regular season game.
    yeah, now instead of the 4th preseason game, teams get a bye that week.

would have been much better to just have the regular season start that week, and give teams a second midseason bye, imo

a preseason bye is next to worthless. you'd much rather have midseason byes to give players a chance to get healthy and avoid wear

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    more money for the owners tbh

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Only the 1 seed gets a bye. Dumb.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Only the 1 seed gets a bye. Dumb.
    That is dumb. Should've made 6-7 a 'play-in' game instead.

Thread Information