Page 2 of 212 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brother just text me and said his restaurant ignored the orders to open at noon and opened early. People are starting to come in.

I'm surprised that you guys haven't closed restaurants down yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas is several steps behind. It's patchwork solutions right now. , he said his boss said "we're not at the 10 people or less stage yet".

Wut

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not. It's Texas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not. It's Texas.
    His boss's boss said that "no one has the authority to tell us to close right now".

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His boss's boss said that "no one has the authority to tell us to close right now".
    They should be shamed on Facebook for spreading the virus.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zero babies are killed by abortions. Fail.
    People start out as unicellular organisms. 3 yr old don't know that, but anyone who has graduated high school should. I assume you never took a biology class, and that is part of the problem here.
    When I feel those ORGANISMS kicking and doing somersaults at 5 months, it's you who are in denial that they are not babies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should be shamed on Facebook for spreading the virus.
    All I'll say is it's a pizza place in La Cantera.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When someone goes through IVF, they often produce a dozen or more embryos (conception). Typically 2-3 of these are transferred in the hopes that one or two will grow to a fetus.

The remaining embryos are usually discarded. Is this mass murder?
    I get where you're going with this. It's a grey area between conception/implantation/pregnancy. If pinned to it, I personally believe once we have a heartbeat, you're a human being. That's what? Like a month after conception?

The reason I make this point to RG specifically is because he's adamant about testing, and rightfully so and his rationale is "lives are at stake".

Someone so strong in their beliefs and quick to label others as "morally bankrupt", a champion of social equity and who cements their beliefs with "facts and science" comes off hypocritical when they're so dismissive to life and disapproving of consensus science that defines when life starts.

That's all.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get where you're going with this. It's a grey area between conception/implantation/pregnancy. If pinned to it, I personally believe once we have a heartbeat, you're a human being. That's what? Like a month after conception?
    A lot of women don't even know they're pregnant at that time.

The reason I make this point to RG specifically is because he's adamant about testing, and rightfully so and his rationale is "lives are at stake".

Someone so strong in their beliefs and quick to label others as "morally bankrupt", a champion of social equity and who cements their beliefs with "facts and science" comes off hypocritical when they're so dismissive to life and disapproving of consensus science that defines when life starts.

That's all.
    I mean I guess you could say that anytime liberals push for life saving measures, but then in the reverse liberals could call conservatives hypocrites when they decry abortion but support war, the death penalty, castle doctrine, George Zimmerman, etc., etc.

Second, there is no scientific consensus on when life begins.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/10/scienc...s-life-begins/

Finally, when life begins isn't really important to the discussion of abortion IMO because the discussion should revolve around how much autonomy we allow women over their own bodies. If there is an unwanted presence in one's body, they should have the right to remove it regardless of how it got there. We have limitations on how long a woman can wait to do this because we believe at some point the baby does not depend on her to survive.

If we get to a point where embryos can be removed and grown outside of a uterus after 3 weeks, then I might be more inclined to support an abortion ban. As it stands I don't believe a woman has an obligation to carry an unwanted pregnancy for 40 weeks just because she had sex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can confirm that hospitals here just aren't testing very often. Patients have to meet pretty strict criteria to be deemed "high risk" and get tested. By contrast... nearly every person who walks into an ER with a fever or sniffles will get a rapid FLU test, regardless of why they actually came into the hospital. But tests for the FLU and other common viruses are cheap and readily available. My su ion is that there are a lot more community acquired cases that we just don't know about. I'm told that the criteria for testing is going to change in the coming days though and that tests will become more available. We'll see.
    Some clinics don't want the tests because they don't want people whothink they have it to come to them. They want someone else to worry about it.

If I was in charge I would treat this as an invasion, I would use Homeland Security the FBI and the National Guard. I would roll out testing in every city and insist on manufacturing of test kits. I would treat this virus like removing lice from the head of a child.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of women don't even know they're pregnant at that time.

I mean I guess you could say that anytime liberals push for life saving measures, but then in the reverse liberals could call conservatives hypocrites when they decry abortion but support war, the death penalty, castle doctrine, George Zimmerman, etc., etc.

Second, there is no scientific consensus on when life begins.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/10/scienc...s-life-begins/

Finally, when life begins isn't really important to the discussion of abortion IMO because the discussion should revolve around how much autonomy we allow women over their own bodies. If there is an unwanted presence in one's body, they should have the right to remove it regardless of how it got there. We have limitations on how long a woman can wait to do this because we believe at some point the baby does not depend on her to survive.

If we get to a point where embryos can be removed and grown outside of a uterus after 3 weeks, then I might be more inclined to support an abortion ban. As it stands I don't believe a woman has an obligation to carry an unwanted pregnancy for 40 weeks just because she had sex.
    I guess the woman can have autonomy over body as long as she's not an unborn fetus. At that point anyone can just scrape her out.

You can't really compare killing an unborn child to killing someone in self-defense, killing someone because you're at war or killing someone because they're convicted of murder. If you can't draw distinctions between those then there's something ing wrong with you.

I think it's quite telling that someone can be convicted of double homicide for killing a pregnant woman but if a pregnant woman decides to abort the fetus then that's fine.

Personally I'm pro-choice I just don't see the argument in the way you presented it.

It's also interesting when a woman has a miscarriage and she's very upset about it, people say she lost her baby. No one says she lost her fetus or she lost something that was possibly not even alive yet. So it's all based on her feelings no one gives a about the unborn. If he says it's a baby and names it then all of a sudden it's a baby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some clinics don't want the tests because they don't want people whothink they have it to come to them. They want someone else to worry about it.

If I was in charge I would treat this as an invasion, I would use Homeland Security the FBI and the National Guard. I would roll out testing in every city and insist on manufacturing of test kits. I would treat this virus like removing lice from the head of a child.
    Agreed. Lack of testing is irresponsible.

Like I said a while back, the US is ill-equipped to deal with this situation. Clinics don't want to deal with it, plus the reimbursement rates are probably not worth getting staff infected and having further down time. Again, a situation where the economics trump patient care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess the woman can have autonomy over body as long as she's not an unborn fetus. At that point anyone can just scrape her out.
    its the mother that has to deal with the pregnancy against her will, not the fetus.

You can't really compare killing an unborn child to killing someone in self-defense, killing someone because you're at war or killing someone because they're convicted of murder. If you can't draw distinctions between those then there's something ing wrong with you.
    i dont think a self defense comparison is that far off. having to deal with months of pregnancy can be painful, exhausting, unsettling. birth involves incredible pain and often times leading to vaginal tears. if somebody threatened you with that amount of pain, you'd be justified in acting in self defense.

i'm not saying they're identical, but the comparison is there. nobody is saying the fetus/baby (not interesting in the semantics) is an intentional wrongdoer or anything like that

I think it's quite telling that someone can be convicted of double homicide for killing a pregnant woman but if a pregnant woman decides to abort the fetus then that's fine.
    i mean thats a question of what legislatures put into law. it's not the case in every state. that's not really answering any scientific questions about life/viability

Personally I'm pro-choice I just don't see the argument in the way you presented it.
    what's your justification, just out of curiosity

It's also interesting when a woman has a miscarriage and she's very upset about it, people say she lost her baby. No one says she lost her fetus or she lost something that was possibly not even alive yet. So it's all based on her feelings no one gives a about the unborn. If he says it's a baby and names it then all of a sudden it's a baby.
    thats a question of semantics (why they say baby instead of fetus).

and i dont necessarily see an issue with that terminology because abortion is associated with the unwanted pregnancy, where the woman has to suffer through months of pregnancy and painful birth against their wishes, as opposed to somebody who wants to go through that to have a child and then that gets lost along the way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas is several steps behind. It's patchwork solutions right now. , he said his boss said "we're not at the 10 people or less stage yet".

Wut

So basically they are waiting till it gets worse.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I feel those ORGANISMS kicking and doing somersaults at 5 months, it's you who are in denial that they are not babies.
    You can attempt to re-define "baby" as much as you like, but that set of cells cannot survive outside of the host any more than the set of cells that comprise my kidney can, were it removed.

Maybe next you will define my appendix as a baby? I am a murderer if I have it removed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eyup.

Hays county is though, declaring its own emergency after the first case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More babies killed today by abortion
    Liberal response kill more
    Don't forget the killings in Chicago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The need for a test was one of those readily identifiable things that a competent administration would have started on day one of understanding the pending crisis.
    Has anyone in the Rump administration or for that matter any US politician stated why South Korea was ready with test kits yet the U.S. was not?

Our tax dollars at work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's all.
    I am not dismissive of that at all. I do understand the conflict between rights though.

How much rights should a person have over their body?

Would you require me to donate marrow, a potentially dangerous procedure to save someone? How is that different?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

FWIW, the ethical issues laid out in a respectful, organized way:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9o0Q5vDuQ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone in the Rump administration or for that matter any US politician stated why South Korea was ready with test kits yet the U.S. was not?

Our tax dollars at work.
    that will be a question they will absolutely not address with anything other than deflection. I think it was asked today at the presser, and doubt it was answered honestly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can attempt to re-define "baby" as much as you like, but that set of cells cannot survive outside of the host any more than the set of cells that comprise my kidney can, were it removed.

Maybe next you will define my appendix as a baby? I am a murderer if I have it removed?
    So you oppose abortion when this set of cells can survive outside of the mother?

24 weeks - that's less than 6 months

Completed weeks of gestation at birth 21 and less 22 23 24 25 26 27 30 34
    Chance of survival[15] 0% 0-10% 10-35% 40-70% 50-80% 80-90% >90% >95% >98%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. Lack of testing is irresponsible.

Like I said a while back, the US is ill-equipped to deal with this situation. Clinics don't want to deal with it, plus the reimbursement rates are probably not worth getting staff infected and having further down time. Again, a situation where the economics trump patient care.
    No need for conspiracies. Simple fact that testing capability remains way below what was promised or is needed.

Thread Information