Page 21 of 212 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bottom line is a country has only so much buffer for crisis. In your own personal life, you have only so much buffer for crisis. If we or if you experience a life altering event that soaks up that buffer, you could easily hindsight yourself into re ation about the buffer size, but the fact is there are many things we could die from and we decided at some point that building our individual portfolios was more important than building a nest egg of PPE, or maintaining 330 million people supply of life saving materials to be used in parallel.

Could be better, could be worse. It is what it is. Feds have not done a great job preparing for this yet many here want them running national healthcare.
    Sorry, you have some specific questions pending.

Why didn't Trump replenish the stockpile after multiple warnings?

Are you better equipped for a pandemic with 12 million masks or 104+ million masks?

Do you agree the Republicans did a job of preparing?

Yes or no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

Didn't Trump have 3?
    Isn't 7 more adequate than 3?

I'll give Trump 30% of the blame, Obama 70%. Is that fair?
    I have no idea.

Why didn't Trump after multiple warnings?

Are you better equipped for a pandemic with 12 million masks or 104+ million masks?

30% of the job was done by the right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes or no.
    Slow down, did you overdose on Ovaltine?

I already answered... spastic tireless rebutter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isn't 7 more adequate than 3?
    Probably not considering the makeup of Congress.[quote]

I'll give Trump 30% of the blame, Obama 70%. Is that fair?
    You'll have to factor in Congress.

30% of the job was done by the right.
    Recalculate after factoring in Congress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slow down, did you overdose on Ovaltine?

I already answered... spastic tireless rebutter.
    You didn't answer these:

Yes or no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably not considering the makeup of Congress.

You'll have to factor in Congress.

Recalculate after factoring in Congress.
    I don't need to factor in Congress. Trump admin vs Obama admin.

Trump gets 30% of the blame, Obama gets 70%. That's my final offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't need to factor in Congress. Trump admin vs Obama admin.

Trump gets 30% of the blame, Obama gets 70%. That's my final offer.
    Offer for what?

You're bargaining your opinion?

What an odd thing to do.

Congress introduces and passes the funding. You're being oversimplistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't answer these:

30% blame. That's why.
    Ask the Obama admin who allowed it to dwindle. That 70% blame group.
    The 30% blame I have assigned them doesn't remove them from culpability. We'll have both groups before the council and we'll get this dealt with most ricky tik.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30% blame. That's why.
    Non-answer.

Ask the Obama admin who allowed it to dwindle. That 70% blame group.
    I'm asking you.

The 30% blame I have assigned them doesn't remove them from culpability. We'll have both groups before the council and we'll get this dealt with most ricky tik.
    That wasn't my question.

Yes or no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offer for what?

You're bargaining your opinion?

What an odd thing to do.

Congress introduces and passes the funding. You're being oversimplistic.
    Blame.

Henceforth we will refer to the Obama era as the 70%ers and the Trump 1st term as the 30%ers when we assign blame for being unprepared for COVID-19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the first point - both CC and I mentioned cost of operation and that of course translates to profit margin. Who here ever said "gee, I wish I could find that same thing for more?" You'll buy the cheaper one if the quality is similar and availability is acceptable. Knowing that, corporations owe it to their stockholders to maximize profits. They don't create the tendency for American individuals and companies to choose money over country. They only capitalize on it. I believe Trump ran on a platform of bring manufacturing back to the US instead of outsourcing it even if it meant subsidizing it some.
    But this isn't a long term production, this is an emergency. Laws like the DPA are specifically tailored to the fact that companies will not move mass manufacturing back to the US out of their own volition. Trump promised something he already knew wasn't going to happen, and manufacturing is going to fly back to the cheapest world region in due time.

That whole reason the DPA exists is that there's no economic incentive here, there's a higher mission of saving American lives.

I don't quite understand your 2nd point. You're not ramping up manufacturing by going to different companies. Apples vs oranges.
    The 2nd point goes entirely to what I described earlier. You have the VP in charge of the pandemic (federal) telling governors to ramp up testing since they all have excess tests, then you have governors (state) telling the federal government that they don't have the supplies to use the tests.

There's a disconnect here, where instead of these two en ies are working together to address this (which clearly has not been addresses properly yet), they're talking past eachother.

Here you have a republican governor having to go public asking the FDA to expedite/step in on this (a federal agency, which, BTW, expedited Hydroxychloroquine in a couple of weeks).

All these things are a symptom of the same problem: There's a complete breakdown on the coordination between federal and state governments, it's been there from the get go, and it's still going on. I would even go as far as pointing out there's no actual coordinating plan. It's all improvisation when the requests and responses come in and out.

Considering how long it's been since this started, and the dead people piling up, calling it inept is being kind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blame.

Henceforth we will refer to the Obama era as the 70%ers and the Trump 1st term as the 30%ers when we assign blame for being unprepared for COVID-19.
    Who is we?

Why are you trying to dictate what other people say and think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Non-answer.

I'm asking you.

That wasn't my question.

Yes or no.
    I am the wrong person to ask. It wasn't my call.

I've given my verdict. Court is adjourned. Bailiff, whack his pee pee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC adjourns hastily after getting raked in detail by El Nono.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But this isn't a long term production, this is an emergency. Laws like the DPA are specifically tailored to the fact that companies will not move mass manufacturing back to the US out of their own volition. Trump promised something he already knew wasn't going to happen, and manufacturing is going to fly back to the cheapest world region in due time.

That whole reason the DPA exists is that there's no economic incentive here, there's a higher mission of saving American lives.

The 2nd point goes entirely to what I described earlier. You have the VP in charge of the pandemic (federal) telling governors to ramp up testing since they all have excess tests, then you have governors (state) telling the federal government that they don't have the supplies to use the tests.

There's a disconnect here, where instead of these two en ies are working together to address this (which clearly has not been addresses properly yet), they're talking past eachother.

Here you have a republican governor having to go public asking the FDA to expedite/step in on this (a federal agency, which, BTW, expedited Hydroxychloroquine in a couple of weeks).

All these things are a symptom of the same problem: There's a complete breakdown on the coordination between federal and state governments, it's been there from the get go, and it's still going on. I would even go as far as pointing out there's no actual coordinating plan. It's all improvisation when the requests and responses come in and out.

Considering how long it's been since this started, and the dead people piling up, calling it inept is being kind.
    So I am not sure what you're asking exactly. I explained that, law or not, ramping up manufacturing takes time. You said no, other companies can be given the green light. If that's not being done, that's either the FDA (heavy handed gestapo organization) or there's a reason for it. A company that doesn't have local manufacturing capability cannot just develop it overnight.

Whether or not Trump delivers, that's what he ran on and one of the things the right has stated they want (even if they shop at Walmart and buy mostly Chinese manufactured goods).

What you're saying is the feds and states' gears don't mesh smoothly. I agree. Working with the ANG wasn't easy and that wasn't nearly as complex as what they are trying to shoehorn now. Historically state governments and the feds are at odds. It's not surprising they don't work well. Red tape from one system coupled with red tape from the other, competing political interests and such make a pretty wide swath through what could otherwise be a productive union. I blame it on lawyers.

Government is inept. Another age old truth. Some recently here were arguing that they are efficient.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My discussion with El is still going on. You're cut off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I am not sure what you're asking exactly. I explained that, law or not, ramping up manufacturing takes time. You said no, other companies can be given the green light. If that's not being done, that's either the FDA (heavy handed gestapo organization) or there's a reason for it. A company that doesn't have local manufacturing capability cannot just develop it overnight.

Whether or not Trump delivers, that's what he ran on and one of the things the right has stated they want (even if they shop at Walmart and buy mostly Chinese manufactured goods).
    The point is that regardless of how long it takes, the order never came in. We keep wasting time here. We all know that ramping up manufacturing takes time. We knew this two months ago too. Now because the decision wasn't made, we have to fly over masks from Chine and are at the mercy of whatever they decide. That's not China's fault, it's our fault for being incompetent and not using the tools we have at our disposal during an emergency.

This is what leadership is. You grab the best people around, you set up a plan and you execute. You know this well, works in every area of life. Improvisation is for amateurs, especially when lives are on the line.

Now, about the reagents and the FDA, how come Pence had nothing to say about that? This is the disconnect we have going on here. The governor should be talking to Pence, and Pence to the FDA. Instead we have Pence talking to the press about bad governors, and governors talking to the press about bad federal.

It's like the ing cone of silence on Get Smart. If it wouldn't be deadly, it would be comedic.

What Trump ran on is completely unimportant right now. Manufacturing is never coming back to the US because we would need to have the standard of living of China, Vietnam, Honduras, etc to be compe ive, and we're not. There's simply no tariff high enough that will offset paying $2 an hour, and 12+ hour shifts.

Anybody that knows anything about basic economics understands that. But that's besides the point right now. If it costs $20B more than in China to develop the reagents here, you do it, the government funds it and you have the supplies. Once this passes, you let manufacturing go back to where it needs to go.

What you're saying is the feds and states' gears don't mesh smoothly. I agree. Working with the ANG wasn't easy and that wasn't nearly as complex as what they are trying to shoehorn now. Historically state governments and the feds are at odds. It's not surprising they don't work well. Red tape from one system coupled with red tape from the other, competing political interests and such make a pretty wide swath through what could otherwise be a productive union. I blame it on lawyers.

Government is inept. Another age old truth. Some recently here were arguing that they are efficient.
    Government is inept when it wants to be. Apparently it's not inept when we have to spend trillions of dollars bailing out corps. So don't give me that. We're in the middle of an emergency.

The tools are there, and have been there for a long time now to cut through the red tape in instances like this. They're just not being used and there's simply no valid excuse for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no raking anything. We're just having a rare adult discussion. Feel free to participate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am the wrong person to ask. It wasn't my call.

I've given my verdict. Court is adjourned. Bailiff, whack his pee pee.
    I want to thank you for doing so many backflips for so long to insulate Trump for whatever reason you've deluded yourself into.

It was exactly what I said you guys do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point is that regardless of how long it takes, the order never came in. We keep wasting time here. We all know that ramping up manufacturing takes time. We knew this two months ago too. Now because the decision wasn't made, we have to fly over masks from Chine and are at the mercy of whatever they decide. That's not China's fault, it's our fault for being incompetent and not using the tools we have at our disposal during an emergency.

This is what leadership is. You grab the best people around, you set up a plan and you execute. You know this well, works in every area of life. Improvisation is for amateurs, especially when lives are on the line.

Now, about the reagents and the FDA, how come Pence had nothing to say about that? This is the disconnect we have going on here. The governor should be talking to Pence, and Pence to the FDA. Instead we have Pence talking to the press about bad governors, and governors talking to the press about bad federal.

It's like the ing cone of silence on Get Smart. If it wouldn't be deadly, it would be comedic.

What Trump ran on is completely unimportant right now. Manufacturing is never coming back to the US because we would need to have the standard of living of China, Vietnam, Honduras, etc to be compe ive, and we're not. There's simply no tariff high enough that will offset paying $2 an hour, and 12+ hour shifts.

Anybody that knows anything about basic economics understands that. But that's besides the point right now. If it costs $20B more than in China to develop the reagents here, you do it, the government funds it and you have the supplies. Once this passes, you let manufacturing go back to where it needs to go.

Government is inept when it wants to be. Apparently it's not inept when we have to spend trillions of dollars bailing out corps. So don't give me that. We're in the middle of an emergency.

The tools are there, and have been there for a long time now to cut through the red tape in instances like this. They're just not being used and there's simply no valid excuse for that.
    I can tell you that reagents are being manufactured in the US. I cannot tell you how much or who/where (some of that I don't even know). I do know that much of this is a recent development and we should look at it on a state by state basis as they are responsible for testing - mostly being done by private labs right now but not because the states cannot test, it's because they don't receive enough samples to justify additional testing facilities ATM.

The bulk of focus should be on New York, but because of how they stack their urban population like cattle and how much interaction they have with so many others in daily routines, it's an uphill battle just to get a grip on it. Keep in mind that, while all this is happening, other ailments still have to be addressed, other kits have to still be manufactured.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And it's not like the stockpile wasn't at one time almost ten times as large as it was going into this pandemic.

The national stockpile used to be somewhat more robust. In 2006, Congress provided supplemental funds to add 104 million N95 masks and 52 million surgical masks in an effort to prepare for a flu pandemic.

We've already done all this. Why pretend we didn't?
    We did it. They got used with the swine flu in 2009 and never replaced. Why pretend they werent?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We did it. They got used with the swine flu in 2009 and never replaced. Why pretend they werent?
    Where did you say I did that?

I posted how many masks we had this time around multiple times and compared it to how much we had for 2009.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes or no.
    Jeez Chump. You suck so bad at this. Obama administration used them up and had seven years to replace them and never did. Twist and squirm all you want...the guilt is shared equally with democrats and republicans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jeez Chump. You suck so bad at this. Obama administration used them up and had seven years to replace them and never did. Twist and squirm all you want...the guilt is shared equally with democrats and republicans.
    I've already blamed Democrats for their failings.

Team Trump here has never acknowledge any blame for Trump. , you won't blame him for anything specific.

Who has been in office for three years and was specifically warned about Wuhan two years ago?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've already blamed Democrats for their failings.

Team Trump here has never acknowledge any blame for Trump. , you won't blame him for anything specific.

Who has been in office for three years and was specifically warned about Wuhan two years ago?
    now you are just grasping at straws to justify your TDS.

Thread Information