Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 5300
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CC going derp mode. What an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not to get into evolution, but for example, evolution can not prove that we evolved from apes. "missing link" is a real thing... does that mean species don't evolve? No, there is tons of evidence that supports evolution, but we do not have all the necessary links from ape to man, nor the links from "primordial soup" to ape. These lines get blurred by the scientists and politicians, yet it gets pushed.
    ... and there it is. Two misstatements about the science and a false equivocation fallacy. The "human agenda" meme that gets pushed has, at its core, ignorance and flawed reasoning.

Let's start with ignorance, and work from there. I have rarely heard anyone expressing skepticism about science that actually understood it to any reasonable degree.

Humans didn't evolve from apes. Humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor.

We have the missing links.

if you want to think there is some agenda here, yet can't be bothered to actually understand the theory or evidence, I guess that is your prerogative. I would recommend reading a bit more on the subject.

Lastly, not all evidence and science is created equal.

Trying to say that people who doubt the large consensus of science and experts are somehow on the same footing just because there is some disagreement misses this huge problem with their reasoning.

There is evidence that says the earth is flat.
    There is evidence that says the earth is an oblate spheroid.

Are these two theories somehow equally valid? Why or why not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn’t say evolution does not exist. Genetics prove it

I am saying there is not enough evidence to confirm people evolved directly from apes. Please show me where I am wrong. Please show me the “science” and I will humbly concede
    Not going to try to prove something that the science isn't trying to say.

1. Did we evolve from monkeys?

Humans did not evolve from monkeys. Humans are more closely related to modern apes than to monkeys, but we didn't evolve from apes, either. Humans share a common ancestor with modern African apes, like gorillas and chimpanzees. Scientists believe this common ancestor existed 5 to 8 million years ago. Shortly thereafter, the species diverged into two separate lineages. One of these lineages ultimately evolved into gorillas and chimps, and the other evolved into early human ancestors called hominids.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lution_fossils

You can start from about 6M years ago to present day sapiens.

Explore the branches we know about:
    https://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-family-tree

We have more than enough to flesh this stuff out to a reasonable degree.

Explore a few of what the Smithsonian has:
    https://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence...ossils/fossils

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Cowboy the welfare queen is making fun of boo living in a trailer

That’s delicious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The left has no problem ignoring basic biology. Both sides ignore science when it fits their agenda. But I don't disagree with you assessment regarding the right.
    The left does not ignore basic biology. Feel free to provide an example.

The right has no problem forming just about every argument they have as a strawman though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID-19 CASES IN TEXAS HAVE INCREASED BETWEEN 20% TO 30% AFTER STAY-AT-HOME MEASURES WERE LIFTED

— In Texas, COVID-19 cases have been up between 20% and 30% since stay-at-home measures were lifted on May 1, according to CNN.

On Thursday, there were 58 new deaths in Texas, the state's highest one-day increase in deaths since the beginning of the pandemic, according to CNN.

There have been more than 45,200 cases of COVID-19 in Texas and 1,256 deaths,
    according to The New York Times.

https://www.livescience.com/topics/l...usJSzO9eZRmlqH

Where does Abbott stand on publishing daily TX C19 cases/deaths?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Places without social distancing have 35 times more potential coronavirus spread

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=nl_tyh&wpmk=1

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both the right and the left spin their "experts" to support their cause.

You are right, science should be black or white and should not have any political favor, but when you have ins utions supported by the state or UN, it becomes tainted. When hospitals' funding depends on a specific cause of death or diagnosis, that encourages dishonest "science"

We certainly should be able to look at science for the truth... problem is, humans have to much power to influence it.

Not to get into evolution, but for example, evolution can not prove that we evolved from apes. "missing link" is a real thing... does that mean species don't evolve? No, there is tons of evidence that supports evolution, but we do not have all the necessary links from ape to man, nor the links from "primordial soup" to ape. These lines get blurred by the scientists and politicians, yet it gets pushed.

PEOPLE promoting science is what is being questioned and it should be.
    Yes we do and we are finding new ones all the time.
    Your problem is that you dont understand evolution.
    Its not a straight line thing that MUST lead to modern humans.

We are still trying to figure out the dead ends and finding new things all the time that change the picture.
    The things you call Apes are here today, they were not around when modern humans evolved, they evolved as well. We call them apes because they are apelike, just like we are. And there are fossils we COULD theoretically find that would say humans do look like they just appear out of nowhere, but they dont exist so far.
    And most evolutionary scientist doubt very much we will find anything that would question what we accept right now.

Humans evolved from an ape-like ancestor. The tree is still being built because evidence keeps coming in.

So your bias is already on display.
    Last edited by pgardn; 05-15-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course, bag Repugs in hole Texas would be lying

Is Texas Inflating Its COVID-19 Testing Numbers by Including Antibody Tests?

The state health department is including some antibody test results in its case totals,

potentially clouding information on the current spread of the virus.

helps pad testing numbers while giving the public a distorted view of the current spread of the virus.

co-mingling of the two types of tests raises questions about the validity of the state’s data,

which has influenced efforts, largely by
    Republican government officials, to quickly reopen the state’s economy.

DSHS confirmed to the Observer that the agency includes “some antibody results” in its official statistics.

This opacity is part of a broader patchwork of county and state data that fails to accurately track COVID-19.

DSHS data

excludes
    some positive cases in prisons,

significantly undercounting total infections in at least two East Texas counties,

State officials have also

declined to release information about infections in other major outbreak centers,

nursing homes and meat processing plants, and

have not released detailed
    racial and ethnic breakdowns of cases and deaths around the state.

https://www.texasobserver.org/covid-19-tests-combine-texas/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'It's Fairly Merciless' —

Texas To Resume Evictions

As San Antonio Renter Protection Ordinance Dies

unprotected renters without the ability to pay rent are at the mercy of their landlords.

“The legal process in the state of Texas is — it's fairly merciless with regard to residential tenants,” he said. “And so tenants have to rely on the discretion of the landlords.”

https://www.tpr.org/post/its-fairly-merciless-texas-resume-evictions-san-antonio-renter-protection-ordinance-dies

You don't have job, you can't make rent, now you're homeless, and obviously don't have 3-months rent for new apartment.

So live in your car. Oops, can't make car payments, car repossessed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

unprotected renters without the ability to pay rent are at the mercy of their landlords.

“The legal process in the state of Texas is — it's fairly merciless with regard to residential tenants,” he said. “And so tenants have to rely on the discretion of the landlords.”

https://www.tpr.org/post/its-fairly-merciless-texas-resume-evictions-san-antonio-renter-protection-ordinance-dies

You don't have job, you can't make rent, now you're homeless, and obviously don't have 3-months rent for new apartment.

Lots to think about with the govt and personal response to the virus. If you own a property and someone isn't paying their rent, there's a point where you run out of money too, I'm sure this is just another headline taken out of context. Its actually quite a lengthy process to evict in many states and laws for the vast majority over protect the renter not the landlord.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I figured it would happen again but damn that's fast

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Texas reported 1,801 new COVID-19 cases on Saturday — the biggest single-day jump in cases since the pandemic began.

A growing outbreak in the Texas Panhandle is a big reason for the surge in cases. More than 700 new cases were reported out of Amarillo on Saturday with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott warning those numbers will continue to climb as the state increases testing in that hot spot...."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-15275484.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots to think about with the govt and personal response to the virus. If you own a property and someone isn't paying their rent, there's a point where you run out of money too, I'm sure this is just another headline taken out of context. Its actually quite a lengthy process to evict in many states and laws for the vast majority over protect the renter not the landlord.
    Texas is not one of those states. 24 hours in most cases.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Texas reported 1,801 new COVID-19 cases on Saturday — the biggest single-day jump in cases since the pandemic began.

A growing outbreak in the Texas Panhandle is a big reason for the surge in cases. More than 700 new cases were reported out of Amarillo on Saturday with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott warning those numbers will continue to climb as the state increases testing in that hot spot...."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-15275484.php

While the positive numbers and deaths are increasing, Abbott has consistently stressed the state’s death rate is far below most other states and the state still has plenty of hospital beds and ventilators available. Texas has 1,791 people hospitalized and has more than 17,000 available beds still.

Wow... 17,000 available hospital beds for 30M+ people.

Abbott is betting Republican control of the state on modern epidemiology being wrong about the behavior of this thing. It will be grim business when reality strikes back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol texas thread inevitably boils down to questioning evolution

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas is not one of those states. 24 hours in most cases.
    Wrong. How long does it take to evict someone in Texas? From start to finish approximately three weeks • 3 days from notice to vacate to filing of suit • 8-10 days to serve the citation -The law requires the defendant have a least six days no more than 10 days notice before the hearing.
    https://www.taylorcountytexas.org › ...
    Eviction process - Taylor County

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong. How long does it take to evict someone in Texas? From start to finish approximately three weeks • 3 days from notice to vacate to filing of suit • 8-10 days to serve the citation -The law requires the defendant have a least six days no more than 10 days notice before the hearing.
    https://www.taylorcountytexas.org › ...
    Eviction process - Taylor County
    Hmm. Never took us that long. Usually when we threatened to change the locks people left pretty voluntarily. We never had to go to court to get people out when they weren't paying.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm. Never took us that long. Usually when we threatened to change the locks people left pretty voluntarily. We never had to go to court to get people out when they weren't paying.
    And that is illegal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol yeah I wouldn't go changing the locks like that again.

A proper eviction in SA when tenants don't want to leave involves the court and usually a peace officer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "After being effectively shuttered for months, and putting thousands of bartenders and servers out of work, bars in Texas will be allowed to reopen Friday, Abbott said.

Under new guidelines, bars will be allowed to reopen at 25 percent capacity under very strict guidelines, he said. Breweries, wineries and wine tasting rooms are also included under these new guidelines.

Likewise restaurants, which had already been allowed to reopen at 25 percent capacity will be allowed to increase to 50 percent capacity starting Friday...."

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...c-ff559a587517

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

While the positive numbers and deaths are increasing, Abbott has consistently stressed the state’s death rate is far below most other states and the state still has plenty of hospital beds and ventilators available. Texas has 1,791 people hospitalized and has more than 17,000 available beds still.

Wow... 17,000 available hospital beds for 30M+ people.

Abbott is betting Republican control of the state on modern epidemiology being wrong about the behavior of this thing. It will be grim business when reality strikes back.
    It's pretty logical that confirmed case counts would rise as testing increases.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "After being effectively shuttered for months, and putting thousands of bartenders and servers out of work, bars in Texas will be allowed to reopen Friday, Abbott said.

Under new guidelines, bars will be allowed to reopen at 25 percent capacity under very strict guidelines, he said. Breweries, wineries and wine tasting rooms are also included under these new guidelines.

Likewise restaurants, which had already been allowed to reopen at 25 percent capacity will be allowed to increase to 50 percent capacity starting Friday...."

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...c-ff559a587517
    Bars with 25% customers will TRY to operate with reduced staff.

Drinkers "should" tip heavily as hazard pay for the bar staff sharing the risk,

or as one receipt said, automatically added "covid-19" fee of, eg, 25%.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DA: Bexar Voters Can Apply for Mail-In Ballot to Avoid Coronavirus

https://therivardreport.com/bexar-co...g-coronavirus/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Rt is .88

https://rt.live/

Thread Information