Page 94 of 212 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 5300
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wft are you even saying, show mercy on us? fckn bozo its behaving like a very infectious virus.
    Does the cold virus show mercy on us Ricky Bobby? "Help me Oprah and TGY!"
    Lol wrong

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Righteous rant. Chumpettes don't like it.

TheGreatYacht

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "This recent rise in cases among young adults could lower Covid-19 death rates -- until those young people go on to infect others, Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wrote in a Twitter post., Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wrote in a Twitter post.

"With younger age of recent infections in at least some places such as Florida, expect a lower death rate in this wave ... until the 20-40 year olds who are infected today go on to infect others," Frieden, president and CEO of the initiative Resolve to Save Lives, tweeted on Sunday....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/healt...rnd/index.html

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "This recent rise in cases among young adults could lower Covid-19 death rates -- until those young people go on to infect others, Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wrote in a Twitter post., Dr. Tom Frieden, former director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, wrote in a Twitter post.

"With younger age of recent infections in at least some places such as Florida, expect a lower death rate in this wave ... until the 20-40 year olds who are infected today go on to infect others," Frieden, president and CEO of the initiative Resolve to Save Lives, tweeted on Sunday....

Yeah man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you attribute it to better treatment as opposed to just a time delay between being symptomatic to sick to dead? Because this jump in infections has been really quick (as exponential growth should be) and deaths have always seemed to have a pretty significant lag. What is the difference in treatment? Is everyone who is in really dire straits getting dexamethasone now? I remember remedesivir chipping away at the death rate a bit and cutting a couple of days off hospital stays on average, but it didn't sound like a game changer.
    Yeah remdesivir isn't a game changer but it's better than nothing but remdesivir aside supportive treatment is getting better.

I don't know if everyone is getting dexamethasone now but they are doing somethings different than the standard ARDS protocol they started with. One is using blood thinners to prevent the clotting disorder that was killing so many. From what my wife was telling me it sounds like people can head down two different roads with the pneumonia, one more typical of ARDS and the other they are calling happy hypoxics. Those are the ones with O2 sats in the 70's but they're sitting there feeling pretty good, more like al ude sickness than pneumonia. They've learned not to vent those people as they do worse vented than just on high flow O2.

Basically it's just what pgardn says, practice makes perfect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's spreading! Somehow, deaths are going down!

The gotry

TheGreatYacht
    Takes about two weeks to run its course. we are still in week one of the run up.

Deaths will rise as the number of cases go up, this isn't difficult. When the hospitals get overwhelmed, it will get worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Kind of my thoughts as well, given the mortality/age relationship. If this is the case, then death rate will stay fairly stable relative to case load until it gets into older populations. (that is a bit of a longer delay from the increase in case load to the time that the mortality rate ticks up)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's spreading! Somehow, deaths are going down!

The gotry

TheGreatYacht
    Death is hardly the only thing to be concerned about, the social cost of treating COVID-19 related disabilities and mental health issues will be ongoing, and these lingering human health effects will diminish our economic productivity.

Believe it or not, pandemics can do more economic harm than shelter in place orders.

https://www.ajmc.com/focus-of-the-we...ally-justified

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of my thoughts as well, given the mortality/age relationship. If this is the case, then death rate will stay fairly stable relative to case load until it gets into older populations. (that is a bit of a longer delay from the increase in case load to the time that the mortality rate ticks up)
    nwahahahajjajajajaja

RandomGuy 2 weeks late to the party.
    Said this was not true when I said it weeks ago - he said hospitals were overwhelmed.

Now hes saying his calculations allowed him to see there is a morality age relationship. Again something that has been known since January. He's been denying the whole time.

Lol what a ChumpDumper

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The brutality, sadism, sociopathy of rightwingnutjobs and Capitalism dictate that (old) people are expendable.

Not all old people are in nursing homes, only a tiny minority.

The sheer volume of under-50 C19 victims means 10Ks will die, and 100Ks are at risk of long term, chronic disability, meaning lifelong poverty.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 06-27-2020 at 11:37 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The brutality, sadism, sociopathy of rightwingnutjobs and Capitalism dictate that (old) people are expendable.

Not all old people are in nursing homes, only a tiny minority.

The sheer volume of under-50 C19 victims means 10Ks will die, and 100Ks are at risk of long term, chronic disability, meaning lifelong poverty.
    Wrong

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Death is hardly the only thing to be concerned about, the social cost of treating COVID-19 related disabilities and mental health issues will be ongoing, and these lingering human health effects will diminish our economic productivity.

Believe it or not, pandemics can do more economic harm than shelter in place orders.

https://www.ajmc.com/focus-of-the-we...ally-justified
    That's not what the link says. It's says the saved lives outweigh the economic damage. It's a terrible analysis because they are still assuming this is a relatively short event. Which they actually point out

Noting a study limitation, economists said that their analysis does not consider the impact of a second wave of COVID-19 infections, as they assume that current social distancing policies will lead to the implementation of cost-effective COVID-19 treatments or vaccines.
    A vaccine in less than another year seems like a long shot to me. A covid specific drug cure seems like a longer shot.

They should have included the most likely scenario which is that we have to reach herd immunity infection rate of ~70% and how long that is going to take. Then they could have just looked at mortality rate & deaths to gauge how far we have to go. If they took a best case scenario of .1% mortality then we are about 33% to herd immunity and still have another ~200k deaths to go. Although it seems pretty clear we are not that far along so bump the mortality rate up to .3% and we have even longer haul in front of us.

It just isn't feasible to shelter in place to the end of this.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The current strategy is to redline hospital capacity then hope and prayers.

Yours in Christ,
    Balous

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The current strategy is to redline hospital capacity then hope and prayers.

Yours in Christ,
    Balous
    Did you ever get your fancy Asian mask with the valves that defeat the whole purpose of protecting others from you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just isn't feasible to shelter in place to the end of this.
    What's your plan exactly?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you ever get your fancy Asian mask with the valves that defeat the whole purpose of protecting others from you?
    I have cloth masks and surgical-type masks that protect others from me. Why are you trying to mask shame people? Is it personal? You seem angry about Balous. Do you know him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The "if they die, they die" plan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a plan.

What's your plan?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have cloth masks and surgical-type masks that protect others from me. Why are you trying to mask shame people? Is it personal? You seem angry about Balous. Do you know him?
    I'm not mask shaming you. You had posted a pic of the mask you wanted. It had valves which defeat the purpose of protecting others.

Who's Balous?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you attribute it to better treatment as opposed to just a time delay between being symptomatic to sick to dead? Because this jump in infections has been really quick (as exponential growth should be) and deaths have always seemed to have a pretty significant lag. What is the difference in treatment? Is everyone who is in really dire straits getting dexamethasone now? I remember remedesivir chipping away at the death rate a bit and cutting a couple of days off hospital stays on average, but it didn't sound like a game changer.
    One big difference is how they use ventilators. Historically anyone whose oxygen level fell below 95% got put on a ventilator. They were seeing covid victims with 70% oxygen levels but otherwise normal and automatically putting them on ventilators which killed them now they are putting them on oxygen and they are recovering. They are also automatically putting them on blood thinners to counteract the strokes which was the big killer of the younger people. They didn't do that at first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not mask shaming you. You had posted a pic of the mask you wanted. It had valves which defeat the purpose of protecting others.
    You've been holding that for months in an attempt to shame me when you felt put upon by a Balous post. You certainly didn't want to guide me in the right direction to actually protect others in a timely manner.

Why are you being such an asshole when lives are at stake?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know one thing that has changed for us forever. With home delivery we may never go to HEB again. Haven't been there in months.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a plan.

What's your plan?
    And we have the crux of the problem.
    Poor leadership. We know we cant have everyone hiding in their houses.
    We know we should not have people pouring into large enclosed arenas for political rallies shouting and spewing all over each other.

We need creative people to meld obvious safety without shutting down other important aspects of a society that needs to move forward.

1. We dont need large crowds in enclosed spaces for long periods of time. Especially if people move in and out with some regularity. (Good luck if you are in prison)

2. We must be able to work and help an economy get through without significantly increasing the spread.

So far we have failed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've been holding that for months in an attempt to shame me when you felt put upon by a Balous post. You certainly didn't want to guide me in the right direction to actually protect others in a timely manner.

Why are you being such an asshole when lives are at stake?
    lol I'm supposed to guide you

Why are you so triggered by reality? If you'd accept reality and stop treating this like a team sport you could make better decisions and not need to be guided by strangers on a sports forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    *double post

Thread Information