Page 13 of 212 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think so. Certainly not representative of the vast majority of what Americans do every day to stay afloat or on top. A cursory look at economic numbers bears this out.
    How do you think ghettos and projects and such are constantly full of tenants? It's not because they are all working at the bodegas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you think ghettos and projects and such are constantly full of tenants? It's not because they are all working at the bodegas.
    Some work, some hustle, some don't. Have a cursory look at unemployment rate in this country (at least right before this mess), you can tell what the vast majority of Americans do every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you prefer to switch them out for the illegals that do things like build houses?
    Is that an option?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some work, some hustle, some don't. Have a cursory look at unemployment rate in this country (at least right before this mess), you can tell what the vast majority of Americans do every day.
    Pretty sure that only counts people who are looking for jobs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that an option?
    Just asking what you would do if you could

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just asking what you would do if you could
    So it's not an option.

Got it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure that only counts people who are looking for jobs.
    Look at employment numbers then... we had 160 million people employed in Feb, per the BLS, add ~60 million that are under 15 years old and don't participate in the labor market yet, and I'm pretty sure that's fairly conclusive of what people are doing in this country.

EDIT: Oops, screwed up the numbers for employed. Corrected.
    Last edited by ElNono; 03-30-2020 at 11:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at employment numbers then... we had 260 million people employed in Feb, per the BLS, add ~60 million that are under 15 years old and don't participate in the labor market yet, and I'm pretty sure that's fairly conclusive of what people are doing in this country.
    So that's what, 17 million people who don't have a job?

I don't get what point you're trying to make. You said the country is unforgiving if you're not pulling your weight but the fact that people live for decades without doing much of anything goes against what you said. Showing the job stats doesn't negate that. It just says not everyone does it, but it's still being done and can be done and the jobless rate (high or low) has nothing to do with whether or not you can survive reasonably well without a job for an extended period of time. The streets are lined with tents from people who prove that every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corrected my post. There's ~100 million not in labor force people (children and retired). Retired people worked all their life, children are not working yet. Unemployed: 3.5 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corrected my post. There's ~100 million not in labor force people (children and retired). Retired people worked all their life, children are not working yet. Unemployed: 3.5 million.
    So 3.5 million people who aren't starving to death, who live somewhere, who don't work, who get medical care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't get what point you're trying to make. You said the country is unforgiving if you're not pulling your weight but the fact that people live for decades without doing much of anything goes against what you said. Showing the job stats doesn't negate that. It just says not everyone does it, but it's still being done and can be done and the jobless rate (high or low) has nothing to do with whether or not you can survive reasonably well without a job for an extended period of time. The streets are lined with tents from people who prove that every day.
    The point I'm making is that the vast majority if Americans would be in dire straits, including potentially jail, if they don't pay their rent/mortgage, taxes, debt, food, services, etc.

There's nothing 'arbitrary' about electing not to work or do all the things above, which is what started this conversation, there are real consequences.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So 3.5 million people who aren't starving to death, who live somewhere, who don't work, who get medical care.
    Sure, 1% of the population. That's the outlier I was pointing to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point I'm making is that the vast majority if Americans would be in dire straits, including potentially jail, if they don't pay their rent/mortgage, taxes, debt, food, services, etc.

There's nothing 'arbitrary' about electing not to work or do all the things above, which is what started this conversation, there are real consequences.
    Losing your is only a consequence if you have to lose.

It's arbitrary if it's undefined, as it was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, 1% of the population. That's the outlier I was pointing to.
    You're saying because people work and therefore escalate their standard of living, more being out of work would be harder on them than someone who never had anything (1%) when they also don't have anything still. This goes back to the comment I made about the wealthy losing hundreds of millions compared to the middle class losing a few thousand. Sure the middle class would be affected more as far as standard of living, but dropping standard of living isn't the end of the world. Those 5 televisions would need to be reduced to 1, no cable, no internet (except to find work if there is any), none of the hundreds of little side costs we can incur with the nickel and dime monthly fees we pay without considering it much for things like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Shipt, Sams Club, car wash memberships, gym memberships, Activision accounts (hypothetically speaking), electric bill to support large gaming platforms, every light in the house on, etc...

I know plenty who have ventured and lost in business, who were on large spreads and now are in rental apartments (and one who just sold a startup for 10m to get back to where he was headed while having bladder cancer).

What this is boiling down to is eventually it could be every man for himself, and plenty on the right have that mindset already, or just shy of it. With no taxpayers there is no funding for social programs, so without the ability to self sustain (or you got into the right business before all this started), you could have a hard row to hoe. Freedom comes with the freedom to fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing your is only a consequence if you have to lose.

It's arbitrary if it's undefined, as it was.
    Not sure what you're arguing here, we live in this country right now, and the vast majority of people have a certain stake at it, minorities like homeless or prisoners notwithstanding (and if we're talking about those categories, we need to redefine what freedom really is in that case).

I was defining something that's certainly non-arbitrary, or at least think it's not.

You're saying because people work and therefore escalate their standard of living, more being out of work would be harder on them than someone who never had anything (1%) when they also don't have anything still. This goes back to the comment I made about the wealthy losing hundreds of millions compared to the middle class losing a few thousand. Sure the middle class would be affected more as far as standard of living, but dropping standard of living isn't the end of the world. Those 5 televisions would need to be reduced to 1, no cable, no internet (except to find work if there is any), none of the hundreds of little side costs we can incur with the nickel and dime monthly fees we pay without considering it much for things like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Shipt, Sams Club, car wash memberships, gym memberships, Activision accounts (hypothetically speaking), electric bill to support large gaming platforms, every light in the house on, etc...

I know plenty who have ventured and lost in business, who were on large spreads and now are in rental apartments (and one who just sold a startup for 10m to get back to where he was headed while having bladder cancer).

What this is boiling down to is eventually it could be every man for himself, and plenty on the right have that mindset already, or just shy of it. With no taxpayers there is no funding for social programs, so without the ability to self sustain (or you got into the right business before all this started), you could have a hard row to hoe. Freedom comes with the freedom to fail.
    Realistically speaking, it really doesn't boil down to that. Especially in the US, where the vast majority of people are slaved to their work anyways to do any kind of revolting, plus a cursory look at around the world can tell they're not really doing that bad after all, despite the fake raised fists.

I know you've traveled, and so you know people in most 1st world countries have it relatively good, much like the US.

Are these exceptional times? Sure. Is freedom at risk? I don't think so. I can't speak for 50 years in the future, but I'll probably be dead by then, so I don't really have to care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's not an option.

Got it.
    So you're whining just to whine.

Got it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbott: all schools closed to at least 4 May

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbott: all schools closed to at least 4 May
    Why even bother this point. Close it down the rest of the year already

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I wouldn't do that. There still a slight chance it will be over by July & you can reconvene & just have them finish the current school thru September, then keep them there thru next June for the coming school term using these (March-June) months as their vacation.

Just a thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't do that. There still a slight chance it will be over by July & you can reconvene & just have them finish the current school thru September, then keep them there thru next June for the coming school term using these (March-June) months as their vacation.

Just a thought.
    The kids are all home schooling right now already....
    as in they're gonna finish up by the end of May.

My one now famous daughter is liking the internet classes but misses the social interaction and sports. She doesn't know how home school kids do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eyup.

man, I have two kids each with 7 teachers, their counselors, and their vice-principals emailing me every god-damned day. Ain't no way I am reading all that . My wife has 100+ students, so no way she can keep up communication via emails either.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eyup.

man, I have two kids each with 7 teachers, their counselors, and their vice-principals emailing me every god-damned day. Ain't no way I am reading all that . My wife has 100+ students, so no way she can keep up communication via emails either.
    I have a friend who teaches at O'Connor HS AP classes he has 190 freshman.
    Yes, Freshman can take AP tests. He is reading essays? 190...? dude has to be killing himself.
    He has about had it, he gonna change that grading system.
    He has tried live and recorded Zoom and he says the recorded Zooms he does suck.
    Dude wants back to school in the worst way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eyup.

Yeah I'm flooded with emails too. Sucks ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experimentation without informed consent

He acknowledged that some families were not aware their relatives were put on the drug, saying that "for the most part," he consulted with each nursing home resident prior to giving them on the tablets.

While the "overwhelming majority of them are awake and alert and can actually have a conversation," Armstrong said some suffer from middle stages of dementia. In some cases, he did not discuss prescribing the tablets with anyone at all before doing so. He said it is common for physicians to prescribe new medications to patients without explicit consent from the patient or family members. "It's not required," he said.
    https://www.npr.org/2020/04/10/83034...ring-criticism

Thread Information