Page 1 of 212 123451151101 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Things are seeming awfully quiet from state government:

While other states fighting coronavirus enforce widespread closures, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott goes with a patchwork system
    https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...virus-problem/

Only 700 or so people have been tested so far:
    Texans still clamoring for coronavirus tests as state promises availability will skyrocket
    Texas appears to be lagging behind other populous states in testing for COVID-19, but trying to determine how many tests have been given is as confusing as figuring out how to get one.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...ses-more-soon/

Lack of testing and a slow statewide response coupled with Trump party at udes towards taking virus seriously and the commensurate precautions
    https://www.npr.org/2020/03/17/81650...-a-real-threat

We don't know where the virus actually is, and have no coordinated effort, as of yet.

The delays in testing will cost lives.

FWIW:
    Texas Health and Human Services website:
    https://dshs.texas.gov/news/updates.shtm#coronavirus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, sick patients like Patrick Parker, a University of Texas research assistant, are still being turned away. Parker said he tried in vain Sunday to get a test at a drive-in center run by Baylor Scott & White Hospital in North Austin. He lost $40 — and a little bit of faith in response efforts for the new coronavirus — in the process. Other Texans exhibiting symptoms told similar stories in interviews with the Tribune, but not all wanted to be identified.

Parker said Monday he’s been sick for 12 days with what appear to be COVID-19 symptoms — fever, sore throat, shortness of breath and “respiratory distress and pain.” He said he was “embarrassed to say” that he was moving around in public for the first week of his illness, and then he self-quarantined after realizing the disease was spreading in Austin.

He said he was denied in the online prescreening process by Baylor Scott & White.

“It seems like they are only testing people who are very sick or who have just traveled from high-risk areas. I show the primary symptoms of COVID, but I can’t figure out how to get tested,” he said. “In order for us to get a handle on this so we’re not just stumbling in the dark, we need mass testing.“
    Something resembling mass testing is what Abbott vowed would be happening by the end of the week in Texas — about 10,000 per week. That would dwarf what’s happened so far and put Texas closer to similarly sized states that have already conducted thousands of tests, according to data compiled by a national consortium of journalists.

Figures provided by DSHS, together with statistics gathered by The COVID Tracking Project, appear to put Texas, the second most populous state, toward the bottom of the top five states, depending on which figures for Texas are used. As of late Monday, California had tested at least 8,300 people; New York had tested 7,200; Florida had tested 1,300; and Illinois had tested 1,025, figures show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More babies killed today by abortion
    Liberal response kill more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can confirm that hospitals here just aren't testing very often. Patients have to meet pretty strict criteria to be deemed "high risk" and get tested. By contrast... nearly every person who walks into an ER with a fever or sniffles will get a rapid FLU test, regardless of why they actually came into the hospital. But tests for the FLU and other common viruses are cheap and readily available. My su ion is that there are a lot more community acquired cases that we just don't know about. I'm told that the criteria for testing is going to change in the coming days though and that tests will become more available. We'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In nearby Boerne, Debbie Van Scyoc, 68, spent Monday frantically trying to have a test administered after she was unexpectedly sent home from her job at a long-term care facility with instructions to not return until she had two negative test results. The facility has a large number of potentially vulnerable elderly people.

She had no symptoms, but a supervisor said she was “exposed” to the virus because she visited her husband — who had a heart attack last Wednesday, she said — in San Antonio Methodist Hospital, which has a coronavirus patient in isolation, according to news reports.

She described a Kafka-esque process to try to get a test. Her local doctor referred her to the Kendall County Health Department, which referred her to Bexar County, where officials said anyone without symptoms could not be tested.

Then she tried to get information about the drive-through facility for first responders and health care providers, only to be told by a San Antonio hospital, “‘We can’t tell you where that is.”’

“I’m passionate about health care, I’m passionate about seniors. … I just want to get back to work,” she said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More babies killed today by abortion
    Liberal response kill more
    Zero babies are killed by abortions. Fail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can confirm that hospitals here just aren't testing very often. Patients have to meet pretty strict criteria to be deemed "high risk" and get tested. By contrast... nearly every person who walks into an ER with a fever or sniffles will get a rapid FLU test, regardless of why they actually came into the hospital. But tests for the FLU and other common viruses are cheap and readily available. My su ion is that there are a lot more community acquired cases that we just don't know about. I'm told that the criteria for testing is going to change in the coming days though and that tests will become more available. We'll see.
    It is mid- ing-march. Wide spread testing should have been available a month ago.

You are exactly right, it is spreading undetected. They are not identifying the people who are asymptomatic or really mild cases, which lets it spread faster.

One person infects 3 people who infect 9, who infect 27, who infect ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is mid- ing-march. Wide spread testing should have been available a month ago.

You are exactly right, it is spreading undetected. They are not identifying the people who are asymptomatic or really mild cases, which lets it spread faster.

One person infects 3 people who infect 9, who infect 27, who infect ...

Evidently, you think these test have been stockpiled in some warehouse. They only very recently developed the test. The virus is "novel". You know what that means, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...t/testing.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bexar County, where officials said anyone without symptoms could not be tested.
    Italy is saying 50%+ of infected people are asymptomatic.

over and over and over, Trash/Repugs failure to provide reliable, high-volume, free tests is negligent manslaughter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Evidently, you think these test have been stockpiled in some warehouse. They only very recently developed the test. The virus is "novel". You know what that means, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...t/testing.html
    I do not think that tests would be sitting around in a warehouse, nor has that ever been my understanding.

At every step Trump has lied about how available they are and now, apparently, so are our state Trump Party officials.

WHO had a test.

Administration didn't use it, and wanted a homegrown one. If you want to be cynical, you could think that would be so they could cash in on it like they have cashed in on everything else. I don't think it was that conscious, personally.

The need for a test was one of those readily identifiable things that a competent administration would have started on day one of understanding the pending crisis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People start out as babies 3 year olds know that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These assholes need to get on top of this immediately. What the is the governor waiting for, ducks to get it?

New York state coronavirus cases soar to more than 1,300, hospitalizing 19%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ducks is straight up dangerous right now and should be banned.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In nearby Boerne, Debbie Van Scyoc, 68, spent Monday frantically trying to have a test administered after she was unexpectedly sent home from her job at a long-term care facility with instructions to not return until she had two negative test results. The facility has a large number of potentially vulnerable elderly people.

She had no symptoms, but a supervisor said she was “exposed” to the virus because she visited her husband — who had a heart attack last Wednesday, she said — in San Antonio Methodist Hospital, which has a coronavirus patient in isolation, according to news reports.

She described a Kafka-esque process to try to get a test. Her local doctor referred her to the Kendall County Health Department, which referred her to Bexar County, where officials said anyone without symptoms could not be tested.

Then she tried to get information about the drive-through facility for first responders and health care providers, only to be told by a San Antonio hospital, “‘We can’t tell you where that is.”’

“I’m passionate about health care, I’m passionate about seniors. … I just want to get back to work,” she said.
    While I agree we need more testing... this example is ridiculous. It's simply irrational fear by the lady's employer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People start out as unicellular organisms. 3 yr old don't know that, but anyone who has graduated high school should. I assume you never took a biology class, and that is part of the problem here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These assholes need to get on top of this immediately. What the is the governor waiting for, ducks to get it?

New York state coronavirus cases soar to more than 1,300, hospitalizing 19%
    If ducks suddenly stops posting in the next few months...

As noted Trump party members are not taking it seriously, and not taking as many precautions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I agree we need more testing... this example is ridiculous. It's simply irrational fear by the lady's employer.
    Ideally if kits were readily available which they are not (thanks government) you would test symptomatic and do random testing to determine community spread then isolate communities with wide spread and have the ability to concentrate health care resources there. You’d still need to do self isolation in other communities to avoid more hotspots popping up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why aren't they "babies"?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People start out as unicellular organisms. 3 yr old don't know that, but anyone who has graduated high school should. I assume you never took a biology class, and that is part of the problem here.

Semantics to excuse murder. Sorry, but that part of you disgusts me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If ducks suddenly stops posting in the next few months...

As noted Trump party members are not taking it seriously, and not taking as many precautions.
    Randomguy with the usual bull sweeping generalizations.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brother just text me and said his restaurant ignored the orders to open at noon and opened early. People are starting to come in.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Semantics to excuse murder. Sorry, but that part of you disgusts me.
    When someone goes through IVF, they often produce a dozen or more embryos (conception). Typically 2-3 of these are transferred in the hopes that one or two will grow to a fetus.

The remaining embryos are usually discarded. Is this mass murder?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ted Cruz will extend his quarantine for the 3rd time for another 2 months, out of abundance of caution...

Thread Information