My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Games in South Korea, a country that drew worldwide praise for its success in containing the virus, seem closest to returning. South Korea's league, the KBL, has games scheduled at the end of March, though in empty arenas. Many teams will see their American players landing in airports around the country over the next week, several agents told ESPN.

The Chinese Basketball Association has been on hiatus since late January, but has taken steps to call Americans back to the country to prepare for games in early April, something that has been met with resistance from some players and agents who feel the situation is still too unstable to resume basketball compe ion, even behind closed doors. In spite of that, sources said at least a dozen Americans elected to board planes for China this weekend, including some of the league's biggest stars, and more players are expected to report to their local clubs this week to begin the mandatory two-week quarantine period, which will be conducted at hotels or the teams' apartments.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/pro-basketball-reemerging-asia-amid-coronavirus-recovery/story?id=69623602

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From China:

Former NC State guard Allerik Freeman arrived in China in early January, after his contract with a team in Turkey was bought out. That was just as the coronavirus was starting to spread. He elected to stay in China for the past 10 weeks despite -- as the only American basketball player remaining in the country -- practicing twice a day with his teammates.
    "At first it was because my visa was taking so long; it's normally a two-week process," Freeman told ESPN. "Because of the virus and the Chinese new year it ended up taking much longer, until around mid-February. By that time, I thought it would be counterproductive to leave and go play in another league and risk the same exact thing happening once the virus spread. My only regret is that I decided to send my fiancée and 5-year-old daughter son back to the U.S. Sometimes I wish I kept them here with me because it seems it's getting worse in America than it is here.
    "It seems there's a panic in America. Not here. People stayed home and just didn't interact with each other. Now life is back to normal, from what it seems. People are walking around. The streets are flooded. Bumper-to-bumper traffic. Most restaurants and businesses are open. If that's any indication, it seems it's getting as close to back to normal as possible. People are still wearing marks and getting their temperature checked. I get my temperature checked every day, sometimes twice a day, at my hotel, restaurants, grocery stores, at the security check entering the gym. I don't know what happens to people who have a fever. I guess not let them in? I wonder about that sometimes."

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    I doubt they restart any leagues. And if they do, I suspect they’ll shut down again soon after. All it takes is one player to get it, and starts a whole new cycle of mass transmission. It makes no sense to do this until a vaccine and effective antiviral treatment are available. Because until then, the risks of starting another huge spread will be there. And if we’re talking 12-18 months until an effective and thoroughly tested vaccine is available, we might be looking at a lay-off from all major contact sports for a similar amount of time. No baseball, no soccer, no football, no international summer compe ions, no basketball or hockey when October comes around. It’s all done for the foreseeable future, and maybe up to a couple years. Without a vaccine, the risks that it starts all over again are too great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ You are correct sir.

I am soo hoping this article is wrong but it sounds like an accurate source:
    Second wave of coronavirus cases hits Asia

https://www.ft.com/content/859e9336-...9-1fe6fedcca75

summary: All the places that had excellent prevention and/or were making great recovery progress are now getting slammed with 2nd wave.
    S Korea
    Taiwan
    Singapore
    China places that were progressing well.
    Last edited by Fabbs; 03-19-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: are "now" getting hit with 2nd wave. I had typo'd "not".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't compare us to China or S Korea. China did what the USA can't. Force people to stay in the house. We've got idiots hitting up the bars, restaurants, the beach, traveling, etc. All that does is make it worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't compare us to China or S Korea. China did what the USA can't. Force people to stay in the house. We've got idiots hitting up the bars, restaurants, the beach, traveling, etc. All that does is make it worse.
    Test stats coming in today and it's all ages.
    Millennials thought they were immune and as you mentioned continued to party in large groups.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=spartandhp
    Last edited by Fabbs; 03-19-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: link to stats on Millennials getting C19

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From China:

Former NC State guard Allerik Freeman arrived in China in early January, after his contract with a team in Turkey was bought out. That was just as the coronavirus was starting to spread. He elected to stay in China for the past 10 weeks despite -- as the only American basketball player remaining in the country -- practicing twice a day with his teammates.
    "At first it was because my visa was taking so long; it's normally a two-week process," Freeman told ESPN. "Because of the virus and the Chinese new year it ended up taking much longer, until around mid-February. By that time, I thought it would be counterproductive to leave and go play in another league and risk the same exact thing happening once the virus spread. My only regret is that I decided to send my fiancée and 5-year-old daughter son back to the U.S. Sometimes I wish I kept them here with me because it seems it's getting worse in America than it is here.
    "It seems there's a panic in America. Not here. People stayed home and just didn't interact with each other. Now life is back to normal, from what it seems. People are walking around. The streets are flooded. Bumper-to-bumper traffic. Most restaurants and businesses are open. If that's any indication, it seems it's getting as close to back to normal as possible. People are still wearing marks and getting their temperature checked. I get my temperature checked every day, sometimes twice a day, at my hotel, restaurants, grocery stores, at the security check entering the gym. I don't know what happens to people who have a fever. I guess not let them in? I wonder about that sometimes."
    probably bc they ramped up the medical system to handle any normal surge. So if they get sick, stay home, rest hydrate. If they need hospital, there are beds.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably bc they ramped up the medical system to handle any normal surge. So if they get sick, stay home, rest hydrate. If they need hospital, there are beds.
    Hearing reports of reinfection of those previously thought to be free or cured of disease. Nasty bugger. ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hearing reports of reinfection of those previously thought to be free or cured of disease. Nasty bugger. ....
    You can get multiple colds too. Had one that came back before, it sucked but got through it. I don't think you develop 100% immunity, especially if you let your health slide and your immune system becomes weak. Gotta stay healthy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Multiple variations of the rhinovirus - why its hard to make a vaccine to it.

But not sure if people are getting reinfected or still shedding the previous virus.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The League That Jimmer Built

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Jimmer was the one who ate the bat over there in China that started this .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China delays restart of basketball, other events

In a setback to the resumption of professional sports, the Chinese government issued an order Tuesday delaying the restart of the Chinese Basketball Association and other group sporting events, according to do ents obtained by ESPN. The CBA's attempts to return to action after being shut down since January because of the coronavirus is seen as a test case for American sports leagues, especially the NBA. The General Administration of Sport, the body that issued the order, gave no timetable for when it plans to lift the new restriction. The CBA had been making plans to split its 20 teams and send them to two cities to play each other in empty arenas within a month, a plan the NBA might consider down the line. CBA teams have been informing players that they still intend to return to play and hope to have more clarity in a few weeks, sources told ESPN's Jonathan Givony. While the spread of the disease has slowed dramatically in China and some aspects of life are headed toward normalcy, sports officials are concerned about asymptomatic carriers, sources said. The Chinese government announced this week that it soon plans to release official numbers about people who have been found to be asymptomatic, a category that has previously not been broken out in public statistics. The government specifically shut down the possibility of marathons and encouraged citizens to work out by themselves and in groups connected through the internet. The CBA planned to house teams in quarantined hotels with multiple temperature checks per day to try to avoid the risk of exposure and spread of the virus. More than a dozen American players, including Jeremy Lin and Lance Stephenson, returned to China within the past two weeks to start a 14-day quarantine with the expectation the season could begin soon. The teams had begun holding practices as they waited for their foreign teammates to be cleared to join them. It wasn't immediately clear if these practices would be allowed to continue.

Thread Information