Page 28 of 100 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty confident I have had tier jobs than any of you because I wanted to work and make money.
    I'm pretty sure that you didn't learn anything because, in your pie in the sky world you can pay rent working at dollar tree and dominos, and your employer cares whether or not your sick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure that you didn't learn anything because, in your pie in the sky world you can pay rent working at dollar tree and dominos, and your employer cares whether or not your sick.
    My worst job was getting up at 3 in the morning and carpooling out to national gun club to wade through foot deep bird in the dark to catch pigeons for pigeon shoots. Put them in crates. Then go load skeet traps all day then pick up dead pigeons covered with fire ants till dark, then get home about 10 and do it again the next day. Had 127 hours in one week @ 1.25 an hour with no OT and was glad to get it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My worst job was getting up at 3 in the morning and carpooling out to national gun club to wade through foot deep bird in the dark to catch pigeons for pigeon shoots. Put them in crates. Then go load skeet traps all day then pick up dead pigeons covered with fire ants till dark, then get home about 10 and do it again the next day. Had 127 hours in one week @ 1.25 an hour with no OT and was glad to get it.
    Ok that's great, good for you, but that's not how the world works anymore, you have shown time and again how naive you are to the way it works now. You actually believe an employer won't force their employee to come in sick. They will, because it happens all the time and you didn't know that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DOA in the House, Mitch McConnell proposes five year immunity shield for employers

--but no fiscal stimulus

--no rent/mortgage abatement

-- no UI

-- no money for healthcare

-- no money for COVID-19 testing

-- nor PPE,

-- nor public housing etc

Depressions are more severe and last longer when the government doesn't get out in front of foreseeable problems.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...virus-lawsuits

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok that's great, good for you, but that's not how the world works anymore, you have shown time and again how naive you are to the way it works now. You actually believe an employer won't force their employee to come in sick. They will, because it happens all the time and you didn't know that.
    I am one of those evil employers you are referring to. I demand my employees stay home if they are sick and send them home if they show up sick. I pay them to stay home and did so even before covid. I have already paid two employees to stay home post covid till they felt better and had negative covid tests. It makes zero sense for an employer to force a sick employee to come to work and infect the rest of the employees.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because CC is a good employer, no employee anywhere should be allowed sue his employer for catching COVID-19 at work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am one of those evil employers you are referring to. I demand my employees stay home if they are sick and send them home if they show up sick. I pay them to stay home and did so even before covid. I have already paid two employees to stay home post covid till they felt better and had negative covid tests. It makes zero sense for an employer to force a sick employee to come to work and infect the rest of the employees.
    This girl I'm ing works at Burlington and her whole store was exposed by an employee who tested positive after already showing symptoms. Eventually he was sent home, but obviously management was aware he was sick and exposed others. They didn't inform anyone directly because they didn't want to start a panic or have people call out until they knew for sure.

The only way she or anyone else found out was through a small sign posted in the break room the morning after management got the confirmation saying what happened, and anyone possibly exposed should look to get tested and contact management with any questions. They pay like 10 bucks an hour.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DOA in the House
    Depressions are more severe and last longer when the government doesn't get out in front of foreseeable problems.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...virus-lawsuits
    McConnell is going to allow the pandemic and economy to remain horrible, no matter the pain, then beat on President Biden and the Dems for not immediately fixing everything in Fed 2021, expecting a Repug comeback in 2022. Same strategy as 2009/2010

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically it is illegal for an employer to identify a specific employee as being covid positive. They can only generalize and say "someone" was infected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McConnell is going to allow the pandemic and economy to remain horrible, no matter the pain, then beat on President Biden and the Dems for not immediately fixing everything in Fed 2021, expecting a Repug comeback in 2022. Same strategy as 2009/2010
    I'm not so sure Biden is going to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically it is illegal for an employer to identify a specific employee as being covid positive. They can only generalize and say "someone" was infected.
    we get it man, you're one of the goodns

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But to not even call employees and tell them that they could've been infected. They just put out a small sign and walked backwards whistling to their office and waited for the fallout.

And this happens all the time with these companies and also in the culinary industry where there's a culture of showing up and grinding it out no matter what.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But to not even call employees and tell them that they could've been infected. They just put out a small sign and walked backwards whistling to their office and waited for the fallout.

And this happens all the time with these companies and also in the culinary industry where there's a culture of showing up and grinding it out no matter what.
    At my place of work we were notified when a coworker tested positive, but none of our employees qualified for a test under the testing criteria of four months ago.

Out of abundance of caution we were also notified when a manager's child's teacher tested positive and he had to work at home for a spell.

YMMV

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes sense to some employers because when you're short-staffed, it costs you money. And management don't give a they just want someone there to make their job less ty

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At my place of work we were notified when a coworker tested positive, but none of our employees qualified for a test under the testing criteria of four months ago.

Out of abundance of caution we were also notified when a manager's child's teacher tested positive and he had to work at home for a spell.

YMMV
    is that retail or food service?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes sense to some employers because when you're short-staffed, it costs you money. And management don't give a they just want someone there to make their job less ty
    Yep, and if immunity is available, some managers have no excuse not to bring workers back in.

No all upper management is like CC, tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is that retail or food service?
    Neither. Wholesale.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamie Dimon’s warning for the U.S. economy —

nobody knows what comes next

• The range of outcomes for the economy in the second half is incredibly wide: JPMorgan Chase sees no fewer than five different paths it can take.
    • The bank has gotten more pessimistic, seeing unemployment in its default “base” scenario hitting nearly 11% by the end of this year, 4.3% worse than when it made the same forecast in April.
    • In a worst-case scenario where the virus surges further in the fall, forcing another round of widespread shutdowns, unemployment could peak at roughly 23%, the bank said.
    • “The word unprecedented is rarely used properly,” Dimon said this week. “This time, it’s being used properly. It’s unprecedented what’s going on around the world, and obviously Covid itself is a main attribute.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/18/jamie-dimons-warning-for-the-us-economy.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben Bernanke and Janet Yellen Give Republicans in Congress a Lesson on Coronavirus Economics

they have both emerged in recent months as vocal supporters of using monetary and fiscal policy aggressively to support the stricken economy.

Last month, they signed a
    public letter from more than a hundred and fifty economists that called on Congress to

pass another big spending bill to extend and broaden the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (cares) Act, which was enacted in March. House Dems HEROES Act

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/ben-bernanke-and-janet-yellen-give-republicans-in-congress-a-lesson-on-coronavirus-economics

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An eviction and foreclosure crisis is looming

Expect the economic situation to decay tremendously between now and fall 2020

Come autumn 2020, the convergence of disease, death and economic misery across our wounded nation will likely be without living precedent.

will be most keenly felt in the nation's poorest and least secure neighborhoods.

last year, when the economy was supposedly doing well, 40 percent of Americans said they would not be able to come up with $400 in the event of an emergency,

happened in less than two fiscal quarters. It's the scale and the velocity that's different this time, with a global pandemic in the mix.

5.4 million American workers lost their employer-linked health insurance.

estimated 27 million Americans had been stripped of their health coverage in the midst of a once-in-a-century pandemic.

by the end of September more than 20 million Americans —roughly one-in-five of the nation's 110 million renters — will face eviction.

As Zinn recounts, they created an extensive makeshift encampment for that Spring and Summer in and around Capital Hill. And while

the House of Representatives, controlled by the Democrats, responded by voting for the Wright Patman Bonus bill,

the measure was rejected by the Republican-controlled U.S. Senate.

On July 29, 1932, Hoover ordered General Douglas MacArthur to forcibly clear the veteran encampments, which he did with four troops of calvary, a machine gun squadron, and six tanks near the White House. He used tear gas, and the U.S. military also set fire to the encampments.

According to Zinn, two veterans were fatally shot and 1,000 veterans were injured by the deployment of the tear gas.

health experts are undercounting the toll it is exacting. In one estimate,

CDC reporting is only catching 10 percent of the actual cases.

based on a comparative excess death analysis comparing the death rates of previous years, the world was

undercounting the pandemic related deaths by as much as 60 percent.

many Americans will suffer from life-long disabilities even if they survive a bout with it.

CT scans of the 76 asymptomatic passengers on the infamous Diamond Princess cruise ship indicated

54 percent of them "showed significant lung abnormalities."

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/19/an-eviction-and-foreclo​sure-crisis-is-looming/

I expect the 2020 Repugs to repeat the 1932 Repugs' sociopathy and reject HEROES Act or any similar bill.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 07-19-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Special Interests Mobilize to Get Piece of Next Virus Relief Package

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/19/u...interests.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Double-Dipping By PPP Healthcare Loan Recipients

Despite Massive Government Cash Infusions, Healthcare Companies Belly Up to the Public Trough for More

Healthcare providers have faced significant challenges during the pandemic,

but it was still surprising to see that sector show up as the largest recipient of assistance under the Paycheck Protection Program.

That’s because hospitals and other providers were already receiving tens of billions of dollars in federal aid from other CARES Act programs.

To the growing list of PPP defects, we can add: double-dipping by healthcare recipients.

https://www.dcreport.org/2020/07/20/double-dipping-by-ppp-healthcare-loan-recipients/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “The jobs aren’t there”:

Why cutting off enhanced unemployment benefits would leave workers in the lurch

Republican arguments about unemployment insurance ignore a harsh reality.

millions of workers who still don’t have jobs to go back to.

, many don’t have jobs they can return to at this point.

“If you cut off the $600 to incentivize people to go back to work, that will just be cruel, because for millions of people the jobs aren’t there,”

as many as 11.9 million workers have zero chance of returning to their prior jobs as temporary job losses become permanent ones.

The GOP approach, however, ignores a dismal reality. With small businesses continuing to shutter, new job postings slowing to a halt, and companies issuing fresh rounds of layoffs, unemployed workers are left with few options to pursue.

the number of people who are unemployed has far surpassed the number of new jobs that have been added to the economy.

According to the June jobs report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, while

4.8 million new jobs were added that month, at least 17.8 million people remained unemployed.

A weekly report on jobless claims also notes that as many as

33 million people were receiving state and federal UI benefits as of late June.

In the short term, the industries that have been forced to shutter or reduce their operations to promote safe practices during the pandemic — including restaurants, gyms, and hair salons — are among those that won’t see many jobs coming back any time soon.

“[There are] industries that we can assume that will be really, really suppressed until we have a vaccine or effective treatment,”

the fallout that would result from an end to the expanded UI.

These cuts could be devastating for the economy, Shierholz notes — affecting as many as 5 million other jobs.

https://www.vox.com/2020/7/21/21325541/unemployment-insurance-jobs-covid-19-congress

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CARES gave 43K wealthy r/e investors a $68B tax break for "paper losses", iow, 13M weeks @$600/week

Thread Information