Page 39 of 100 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you ever wanted to cheat on your taxes this is the year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ‘The Situation Is Dire’:

As Trump Takes Victory Lap,

New Jobs Report Reveals

Alarming Surge in Permanent Unemployment

an alarming surge in permanent joblessness that

could portend a prolonged recession

if Congress and the White House fail to quickly approve additional relief.

The total number of workers who are permanently jobless is now 3.4 million,

the new BLS report shows “the pain is nowhere near over for millions of workers and their families across the country.”

the U.S. economy is still down 11.5 million jobs from where it was in February, before the pandemic hit,”

it will take years to return to the pre-pandemic labor market.

And, without the $600 boost to unemployment insurance,

jobs will return even more slowly than had policymakers stepped up and continued that vital support to workers and the economy.”

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020...mployment.html

and the plutocratic, sadistic Repugs say not ONE ING DOLLAR MORE for Labor

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but I've read the number on UI benefits is 25M+ ???

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teenage Unemployment Nearly Double National Average

The national figure dropped to 8.4%.

The number of unemployed people dropped 2.8 million to 13.6 million.

It was good news for almost every demographic group measured.

A major exception was the count among teenagers.

At 16.1%, it was 92% above the national average. Teens are defined as people ages 16 through 19.

Teenage unemployment always runs higher than the figure for the total population. However, it fell to 12.7% in July 2019, when the entire nation posted a joblessness rate among the lowest in five decades.

The negative effect of high unemployment among teens can last for years.

“Research shows that workers who are unemployed as young adults

earn lower wages for many years

following their period of unemployment

due to forgone work experience and missed opportunities to develop skills.”

That can translate into tens of billions of dollars in lost wages,

the teen jobless rate is almost certainly not going to drop below 12%.

A large group of Americans will suffer a setback from which they cannot recover.

https://247wallst.com/jobs/2020/09/0...ional-average/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you ever wanted to cheat on your taxes this is the year.
    what, you skipped a year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamie Galbreath has OD'd on Hopium, but he might not be wrong to suggest it's time for the government to provide jobs to people rendered supernumerary by this economy.

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/01/...cy-us-economy/

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamie Galbreath has OD'd on Hopium, but he might not be wrong to suggest it's time for the government to provide jobs to people rendered supernumerary by this economy.

UBI is going to have to become a part of the American economy, it’s just that simple.

this would have been an opportunity to float that out there to show people how it will actually benefit them, but it was more important to borrow printed money to make sure the rich get more of the ever decreasing pie.

so what’s the over/under on how long it will take pubs to become concerned about the national debt again? One or two minutes after Biden is inaugurated?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    UBI is going to have to become a part of the American economy, it’s just that simple.

this would have been an opportunity to float that out there to show people how it will actually benefit them, but it was more important to borrow printed money to make sure the rich get more of the ever decreasing pie.

so what’s the over/under on how long it will take pubs to become concerned about the national debt again? One or two minutes after Biden is inaugurated?
    Oh it'll be before he's inaugurated if he wins, you can bet on that. They'll cry about how Biden needs to address the deficit they created but then fight Biden tooth and nail on raising taxes on rich people.

Regarding UBI - He might not win the nomination, but I think if Yang ran again in 2024 he'd definitely be a contender. People already liked him and the pandemic has been a big I told you so in terms of a UBI being necessary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Laid off, is that too much for you or too boring?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's pretty random, guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Washington Deadlocked on Aid, States Face Dire Fiscal Crises

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/07/b...virus-aid.html

The Dems' HEROES would help state, local govts, health care orgs, but Repugs refuse everything from Dems

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID-19 WORKERS’ COMP CLAIMS ARE BEING HELD UP OR DENIED

Employers and insurance companies are insisting employees, even those directly exposed to the virus, can’t prove they got sick at work.

Ligi is one of countless front-line workers across the country who contracted Covid-19 at work but are having their workers’ comp claims held up or outright denied.

Employers and insurance companies are instead insisting that employees, even those directly exposed to the virus, can’t prove that they got sick at work and claiming that they were infected outside the workplace.

https://theintercept.com/2020/09/07/coronavirus-workers-compensation-claims-labor/

The relentless, sadistic War on Labor by Capital.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BigCarbon bailed out several ways

Trump cuts oil and gas drillers' rent on public lands, as state budgets suffer

Bureau of Land Management accused of

giving a handout to rich corporations

at the expense of
    (RED) states who depend on oil revenues

four companies leasing the land where drillers got relief have

a history of filing false reports on royalties,

or underpaying or dodging payments,
    according to an Accountable.

US analysis of BLM’s database.

They include:

• BP America, which was fined more than $5m for filing false offshore royalty reports in 2009.
    • ExxonMobil’s subsidiary XTO Energy, which was penalized $890,000 in 2019 for failing to provide information for a royalty audit. (The company operating on an XTO Energy lease – US realm Powder River LLC – went into bankruptcy owing millions of dollars in unpaid taxes to two Wyoming counties.) An Exxon spokesman said XTO is not the operator drilling on the land and did not apply for the royalty relief.
    • Citation 2002, which had previously agreed to pay $2.3m to settle allegations of underpaying royalties owed on natural gas produced from federal public lands in Wyoming. Citation declined to answer specific questions from the Guardian.
    • Chesapeake Exploration, a subsidiary of Chesapeake Energy – which has been penalized millions for providing inaccurate royalty information.
    • QEP Resources, which was fined $1.2m for inaccurate royalty reporting.
    • Finley Resources, which in 2014 was fined for failing to report production on federal leases.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/sep/04/trump-cuts-oil-and-gas-drillers-rent-on-public-lands-as-state-budgets-suffer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Laid off, is that too much for you or too boring?
    not at all. there's nothing else in the last 100 years to put next to the last 25 weeks or so in the USA, in terms of permanent job losses. but yeah, laid off is accurate.

how many claimed/claiming UI?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs say not one $ more for the unemployed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the extra $600 unemployment benefit stop people from job hunting?

Members of the Trump administration have argued (LIED) that

the extra $600 in unemployment benefits Americans are getting creates a disincentive to search for a new job

”Workers facing larger expansions in unemployment insurance benefits have returned to their previous jobs over time at similar rates as others,” they wrote.

“We find no evidence that more generous benefits disincentivized work either at the onset of the expansion or as firms looked to return to business over time. ”

“The data do not show a relationship between benefit generosity and employment paths after the CARES Act,”

Workers receiving larger increases in unemployment benefits experienced very similar gains in employment by early May relative to workers with less-generous benefit increases

“Those currently collecting benefits search more than twice as intensely as those who have exhausted their benefits,”

https://www.marke ch.com/story/di...wer-2020-07-28

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McConnell Pushes Senate to Pass $500 Billion Coronavirus Package;

Omits $1,200 Payments,

Would Give $250 Billion to Small Business

https://www.mediaite.com/news/mcconn...mall-business/

Nothing for Labor, and BigFinance would again, no doubt, $10Bs in fees. and SBA would it up,

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's what's in the GOP's 'skinny' stimulus bill -- and what's missing

it's unlikely to gain any support from Democrats -- who are unified behind a much larger $3 trillion stimulus package that passed the House in May.

federal unemployment benefits of $300 through the week ending December 27, half of what Congress included in its March coronavirus relief package. Payments would be retroactive to the end of July, when the original $600 weekly supplement expired.

Would allow some small businesses to apply for a second loan from the Paycheck Protection Program.

Would provide $105 billion in education funds, about two-thirds of which would be reserved for schools that reopen for in-person instruction.

money for school choice scholarships that parents can use to send their child to a public or private school outside their home district Christian Sharia to destroy public education

Would forgive a $10 billion loan to the US Postal Service under the March CARES Act,

Would provide protections for employers against liability in any coronavirus-related lawsuits brought by workers.

Employers would not be held liable unless workers' claims met a stringent test. The bill states they must provide "clear and convincing evidence" that 1) the employer was not "making reasonable efforts" to comply with the latest pandemic-related safety guidance and standards; 2) that the employer was grossly negligent or willfully did something that caused "actual" exposure to the coronavirus; and 3) that the "actual" exposure caused personal injury to the workers.

In cases where workers allege they contracted Covid-19 through their workplace, they must provide

a list of every place they went and

every person they interacted with

both inside and outside their home

during the 14-day period before their onset of symptoms.

Does not include money for a second round of direct stimulus checks to Americans.

Would not provide additional assistance to state and local governments,

even though they have been pressing lawmakers for months to send them more money to avoid massive spending cuts and layoffs.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/politics/whats-in-the-gop-skinny-stimulus-bill/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't even have full Senate GOP support.

What a show.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Doesn't even have full Senate GOP support.

What a show.
    Which GOP senators aren't backing it? I also heard it doesn't even have 51 votes (regardless of the fact it will die in the house), but curious which Republicans aren't supporting it.

McConnell is losing his edge in terms of the hardball tactics. Introducing this bill was so ing stupid.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Republicans wanting to give tax credits to parents who homeschool.

The GOP wants to literally financially incentive raising your child to be stupid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which GOP senators aren't backing it? I also heard it doesn't even have 51 votes (regardless of the fact it will die in the house), but curious which Republicans aren't supporting it.

McConnell is losing his edge in terms of the hardball tactics. Introducing this bill was so ing stupid.
    Rand Paul was the biggest name I've heard while the rest seem divided between sticking with the tired fiscal argument of it being "too much" while others seeking re-election realize that it's far too little. With the unanimous Dem backlash this is D.O.A.

I don't think it's really about passing anything for Emperor McPalpatine, honestly. It's more likely an election tactic to show the base that Democrats are refusing to cooperate while Americans suffer. By introducing yet another anemic D.O.A stimulus to stall the negotiations he can continue to convince the base that Dems are evil because they refuse to get behind Republicans - and McConnell gets to kill two birds with one stone.

I think most people will see through this BS eventually. The Senate is looking more and more winnable every day these morons shoot themselves in the political foot.

Thread Information