Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bill passes Senate 96-0

Trump rejected by red team.
    He will not have the power to appropriate money for industry.
    Good luck with your business and your transparency in letting our country know your financial stake.
    Red team members know the blue team does not trust you, fat fella.

Go buy some respirators on the black market and mark them up.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think, bou? Should we continue the shelter in place in favor of ruining the economy?
    Do this, or this will happen?

Its clear it will be a combination of both depending on where you live and timing. Let’s ALL hope we can get this correct.
    So Trump needs to stay clear of decisions and speaking and tweeting.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think things would be any better if a bunch of people die instead?
    You're preaching to the choir - I have an asthmatic son - I've left the house once in the past 2 weeks to get fresh fruit.

I'm just asking his opinion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump rejected by red team.
    He will not have the power to appropriate money for industry.
    Mnuchin DOES have control over the slush fund, with no oversight. Barr thrilled to block Congress from oversight of autocratic Exec

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always said, looking at history, the only way The People have retaken power from their oligarchy (royalty, royalty+Catholic church, King George III) has been by violent revolution. Why would USA not do it (again)?

I'd rather trash the economy (I do worry about my kids and grandkids) rather than have 100Ks of Americans die to "save" the economy.

1) I don't think putting Labor back to work would reliably save the economy, and of course Labor would be diseased and die by the millions while the oligarchy protects itself (see Murdochs self-protection while Fox pushes people towards disease and death)

2) crashing the economy might enable More Power To The People, as they see how Capital wants Labor to sacrifice itself so Capital can keep ing over Labor

3) however, nothing is guaranteed, except the oligarchy's wealth, power, and continued ownership of enslaved, lied-to Americans.

Parallel with French Revolution, the American oligarchy is the royalty (armed royalty) with Repugs and evangelicals as its foot soldiers and priests.

Here's French political cartoon after the French Revolution destroyed the Catholic Church's dominance

So many "oligarchy"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go out and get yourself infected for the economy's sake. I read they're thinking about throwing parties for that.
    Why do you assume that I'm for saving the economy? You couldn't be more wrong.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you assume that I'm for saving the economy? You couldn't be more wrong.
    So you're against Trump on this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many "oligarchy"
    The oligarchy of the hyper-wealthy Catholic Church, in concert with the French royalty, for centuries fleeced and oppressed the "dirt" poor.

The French oligarchy got hung (pictured), beheaded, burned

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One estimate: 14 million newly unemployed by June.

Finally, we should note that the risks of doing too much versus doing too little are extremely asymmetric. Traditionally, the risks of overshooting on stimulus is that policymakers might spark inflation or e interest rates. But both inflation and interest rates were extraordinarily low even before the coronavirus shock when unemployment rates were historically low. The risks of ing this seems very remote, and the downsides to temporarily causing them to rise faster than expected are extremely mild. The risk of doing too little fiscal stimulus are huge—potentially years of elevated joblessness and economic suffering.
    https://www.epi.org/blog/the-coronav...-through-2020/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're against Trump on this?

Why does everything come back to Trump? I think it'll be a phase-in - with young people, those who have resolved, or low risk will go back first. Unfortunately for me, that means K-12 students. I plan to get a note from the primary care/allergist and lobby for him finishing high school at home. There will be a LOT of resistance from him and the looming fight is something I don't even want to think about. I'm praying that MDCPS will just continue with virtual learning for the rest of the year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats Are Handing Donald Trump The Keys To The Country

The Senate coronavirus bill is shocking.

a sentence of unprecedented economic inequality and corporate control over our politics that will resonate for a generation.

a transfer of wealth and power to the super rich from the rest of us, with the support of both political parties ― a damning statement about the condition of American democracy.

the new law would establish a $4.5 trillion corporate bailout fund overseen by Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin,

with few substantive constraints.

Some outlets are reporting this as a $500 billion fund,

but $425 billion of that can be leveraged 10 times over by the Federal Reserve, resulting in a multi-trillion-dollar program.

The bill permits bailed out companies to lay off up to 10% of their workforce over the next six months,

with no restrictions thereafter.

Mnuchin would have authority to waive any upside for the public in its new investments, and

the bill’s restrictions on stock buybacks at bailed-out firms are too temporary to be significant.

Bailed out companies could even pay dividends to their shareholders.

Bailout money will flow to the shareholders of large corporations

The oversight terms... replicating the toothless provisions of the 2008 bank bailout that

enabled watchdogs to report abuse but not actually prevent or rectify it.

“If you give vast amounts of public money to a single person with no real accountability,

you won’t like what happens next,”

It is a panicked and reckless legislative response,”

that “will repeat most of the mistakes made in the 2008-2010 bailouts” and “fundamentally transform the American economy,”

Large corporations can get money, his company would “just look at all the other options, and we’ve got plenty of them,”

if Congress were to demand an equity stake in the companies it assists.

Democrats and Republicans have essentially decided to hold a pittance of relief for the people hit hardest hostage to the most reckless and, at the moment,

unnecessary corporate welfare program ever conceived.

The legislation provides nothing of substance to address the coronavirus pandemic itself.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) has already said the package will do
    next to nothing to assuage the disaster unfolding in his state.

It mobilizes no new resources,

organizes no production,

improves no medical supply delivery and

trains no new nurses.

Instead, it moves an enormous amount of money around and

puts the Trump administration in charge of its movement.

We live in an era in which the wealthy and the well-connected dominate almost every aspect of our society.

The rich not only live different lives than the rest of us ―

they live
    significantly longer lives,

The financial crisis of 2008 and the bank bailouts it inspired did long-term damage to the American social fabric.

The financial sector essentially became
    a criminal syndicate,

as fraud settlements became a simple cost of doing business for bailed-out banks like
    Wells Fargo.

“We will be lucky if most small businesses see any assistance in less than two months,”

“That is time they — and their employees — do not have.”

As with the bank bailouts, big companies will grow larger and more profitable and

demand further control over the way what we still call a democracy is organized.

these horrors will only be realized if the House of Representatives approves this monstrosity.

Democrats control the House.

They can pass any bill they like and dare Senate Republicans and the president to oppose a serious bill for a serious problem.

Or they can rubber-stamp the Senate bill and help Donald Trump foreclose on the next generation of American democracy.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/senat...wsltushpmgnews

Of course, 100millionaire Pelosi and most of the Dems, and ALL of the Repugs will vote for yet another bailout/empowerment of the oligarchy.

America is ed and un able

This is a Repug campaign tactic.

Repugs bailout the oligarchy in 2020 (after the 2107 tax cut scam) and the oligarchy finances Repug control of the Senate, and reelection of Trash. quid pro quo, BLATANT corruption

The Capitalists will be evicting renters into homelessness, hiking up rents, and repossessing homes and cars by the millions, AGAIN.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take heart, bou. If the Dems win back the WH, it'll be BIDEN in charge of that vast amount of money. Whether that's reassuring or not, is up to you :-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why does everything come back to Trump?
    He's president and he wants to pack the churches for Easter.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He's president and he wants to pack the churches for Easter.
    & because he whooped the dog outta Hillary Clinton in broad daylight, & nobody is going to forge that (lover & hater alike) as long as they live.

He made President.

& by scapegoating him, by punishing him, by torturing him,,,word is sent ahead to any other American who gets a hard on to be President...

- "No strangers, ever."

- Ray Liotta - "Goodfellas"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    & because he whooped the dog outta Hillary Clinton in broad daylight, & nobody is going to forge that (lover & hater alike) as long as they live.

He made President.

& by scapegoating him, by punishing him, by torturing him,,,word is sent ahead to any other American who gets a hard on to be President...

- "No strangers, ever."

- Ray Liotta - "Goodfellas"
    He wanted the job. He got it. That's where the buck stops.

Sorry, he's a terrible president.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He wanted the job. He got it. That's where the buck stops.

Sorry, he's a terrible president.
    He's the greatest President to ever walk the face of earth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. He's the worst. Buchanan was better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take heart, bou. If the Dems win back the WH, it'll be BIDEN in charge of that vast amount of money. Whether that's reassuring or not, is up to you :-)
    Joe has already told his big donors "nothing will change" his version of "read my lips, no new taxes"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe has already told his big donors "nothing will change" his version of "read my lips, no new taxes"
    So, it'll be like Trump minus the racism, misogyny, etc, etc plus the creepy kissing grandkids on lips, leg hairs, stumbling, etc?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I wouldn't go sooooo far :-)

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Corporate Media Hides Ugly Truth of Stimulus Bill

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nothing is up to me or any voters. The political class will always take care of its corrupt self and its corrupting/corrupt financiers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Denmark’s Idea Could Help the World Avoid a Great Depression

“We are freezing the economy.”

MARCH 21, 2020
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...uld-us/608533/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repug quid pro cruise industry quo