Page 40 of 100 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2496
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Rand Paul was the biggest name I've heard while the rest seem divided between sticking with the tired fiscal argument of it being "too much" while others seeking re-election realize that it's far too little. With the unanimous Dem backlash this is D.O.A.

I don't think it's really about passing anything for Emperor McPalpatine, honestly. It's more likely an election tactic to show the base that Democrats are refusing to cooperate while Americans suffer. By introducing yet another anemic D.O.A stimulus to stall the negotiations all while convincing the base that Dems are evil because they refuse to get behind Republicans, McConnell gets to kill two birds with one stone.

I think most people will see through this BS eventually. The Senate is looking more and more winnable everyday these morons shoot themselves in the political foot.
    Yeah the McConnell politics have worn off in terms of effectiveness. His approval rating is in the 30s and the failure to pass a relief package isn't going to be blamed on the Democrats. If it was then Pelosi and Schumer would have more urgency, they're political schemers the same way McConnell is. They're playing hardball because they're confident they have the political capital to do so.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Repugs skinny bill is dead in the House, (if it passes the Senate)

and

The Dems HEROES bill was "grim reaper-ed" in the Senate.

Aid to America might be delayed until Jan 22 2021.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think negotiations will eventually lead to an agreement, but McConnell is going to scorch-Earth everything before they get there.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the McConnell politics have worn off in terms of effectiveness. His approval rating is in the 30s and the failure to pass a relief package isn't going to be blamed on the Democrats. If it was then Pelosi and Schumer would have more urgency, they're political schemers the same way McConnell is. They're playing hardball because they're confident they have the political capital to do so.
    Cocaine mitch finally on the wrong end of the hold out, you hate to see it.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    You wonder why McConnell waited a full month after negotiations between Pelosi and Mnuchin + Meadows fizzled out to introduce this bill. Seems like he realized that if there's no stimulus bill between now and election day Republicans are dead in the water so he's trying to flip the script and say it's the Democrats' fault, but he's still overplaying his hand with such a ty stimulus package.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tiness is baked into this one, but this is so ty even the Senate GOP isn't fully behind him. Moscow Mitch must have had too much vodka during the recess.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, all Democrats have to say is "We had our together in May and you wouldn't even talk with us. y'all and pass our four month old bill."

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TWC email:

Today, the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) notified the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) that the last week of funding for the Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) program was the benefit week ending September 5, 2020.

FEMA previously approved TWC for six weeks of funding from August 1, 2020, through September 5, 2020 for the Lost Wage Assistance $300 benefit program but has now been provided notification that no additional LWA payments will be allowed for weeks subsequent to September 5, 2020.
    This is not a TWC decision. Please read useful questions below.
    For what weeks did TWC receive funding?
    TWC received funding for the weeks of:

• August 1, 2020
    • August 8, 2020
    • August 15, 2020
    • August 22, 2020
    • August 29, 2020
    • September 5, 2020

TWC will continue to pay eligible claimants for the approved six weeks, for as long as the existing FEMA funds deposited to TWC remain available.
    If I have not yet received payment for September 5th will I still be paid even though the September 5th date has passed?

Yes, you may still be paid for that week, as long as funds are available.
    Will I continue to receive my state unemployment benefits?
    Yes. Claimants will continue to receive normal weekly benefit amount for any benefit weeks for which they are eligible.
    Why is LWA funding ending?
    This decision was made by FEMA. LWA relies on funds administered by FEMA. TWC cannot provide additional funds without further federal action.
    Can I appeal this decision?
    No. Since this decision was made by FEMA and not TWC, claimants cannot appeal.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TWC email:

Today, the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) notified the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) that the last week of funding for the Lost Wages Assistance (LWA) program was the benefit week ending September 5, 2020.

FEMA previously approved TWC for six weeks of funding from August 1, 2020, through September 5, 2020 for the Lost Wage Assistance $300 benefit program but has now been provided notification that no additional LWA payments will be allowed for weeks subsequent to September 5, 2020.
    This is not a TWC decision. Please read useful questions below.
    For what weeks did TWC receive funding?
    TWC received funding for the weeks of:

• August 1, 2020
    • August 8, 2020
    • August 15, 2020
    • August 22, 2020
    • August 29, 2020
    • September 5, 2020

TWC will continue to pay eligible claimants for the approved six weeks, for as long as the existing FEMA funds deposited to TWC remain available.
    If I have not yet received payment for September 5th will I still be paid even though the September 5th date has passed?

Yes, you may still be paid for that week, as long as funds are available.
    Will I continue to receive my state unemployment benefits?
    Yes. Claimants will continue to receive normal weekly benefit amount for any benefit weeks for which they are eligible.
    Why is LWA funding ending?
    This decision was made by FEMA. LWA relies on funds administered by FEMA. TWC cannot provide additional funds without further federal action.
    Can I appeal this decision?
    No. Since this decision was made by FEMA and not TWC, claimants cannot appeal.

Whoopsie! Turns out stealing hurricane money didn't work well at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whoopsie! Turns out stealing hurricane money didn't work well at all.
    The LWA halt could be tied to the Repug skinny/ ty stimulus bill which provides $300/week backdated to Sep 5,

but the Repug bill is DOA in the House as hilariously insufficient, and it may not even pass out of the Senate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senators blast Trump's plan to force federal workers to be his payroll tax scheme guinea pigs

When most of corporate America refused to take Donald Trump up on his offer to "terminate" the payroll taxes that pay for Social Security and Medicare, at least for the next several months,

Trump decided he had to impose his scheme on someone.

So he
    forced it on his captive employees: federal workers.

Democratic senators—and one Republican!—have
    told him to back off.

"We urge you to let federal workers and uniformed service members choose whether to defer their payroll tax obligations …

rather than forcing them to participate," they wrote.

"While some federal employees may want to defer their payroll tax payments," the lawmakers continued,

"unions representing federal workers have made clear that many others do not."

Every employee who gets the benefit of not paying the tax for the next several months ends up seeing

a larger portion of their paycheck withheld next year, because

the full amount has to be paid back by May.

That's a pretty crappy deal.

Trump has said that if he's reelected, he will "terminate" the taxes entirely, so they wouldn't have to be repaid.

He has no plan for funding Social Security and Medicare.

Just like he has no plan for replacing the Affordable Care

Act while he's arguing before the Supreme Court that the whole law should be struck down.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...me-guinea-pigs

================

Top Republican Social Security Expert:

Trump’s Defunding of Social Security Opens the Door to Privatization

https://socialsecurityworks.org/2020/09/09/top-republican-social-security-expert-trumps-defunding-of-social-security-opens-the-door-to-privatization/

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which GOP senators aren't backing it? I also heard it doesn't even have 51 votes (regardless of the fact it will die in the house), but curious which Republicans aren't supporting it.

McConnell is losing his edge in terms of the hardball tactics. Introducing this bill was so ing stupid.

this was all done for optics. They want their stupids to flood social media with talking points that they’re trying to do something but the mean old democrats are holding it up.

the truth doesn’t matter.

they don’t really want to help. They are only worried about the election.

also, they will begin to fight against any help in the name of deficit, so they can inflict even more pain in order to run on nothing getting done for mid terms.

it’s the republican way. Rinse lather and repeat.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    this was all done for optics. They want their stupids to flood social media with talking points that they’re trying to do something but the mean old democrats are holding it up.

the truth doesn’t matter.

they don’t really want to help. They are only worried about the election.

also, they will begin to fight against any help in the name of deficit, so they can inflict even more pain in order to run on nothing getting done for mid terms.

it’s the republican way. Rinse lather and repeat.
    Yeah I agree with all that, wondering which GOP senators got in the way of it getting 51 votes, since the strategy of blaming Democrats falls flat on its face if the GOP doesn't even support the bill.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    884,000 Jobless Claims Filed Last Week

September 10, 2020 8:36 a.m.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits was unchanged last week at 884,000, a sign that

layoffs are stuck at a historically high level six months after the viral pandemic flattened the economy.

The latest figure released by the Labor Department Thursday still far exceeds the number who sought benefits in any week on record before this year.

Employers have so far added back about half the record 22 million jobs that were lost to the pandemic.

But hiring has slowed since June, and a rising number of laid-off workers say they regard their job loss as permanent.

13.4 million people are continuing to receive traditional jobless benefits, up from 13.3 million the previous week.

The increase suggests that hiring isn’t occurring quickly enough to offset still-widespread layoffs.

roughly 840,000 others sought jobless aid under a federal program that has made self-employed and gig workers eligible for the first time.

29.6 million people are receiving some form of unemployment benefits from the federal government or states,

roughly 2.5 unemployed workers for every available position.

Before the pandemic, there were more openings than unemployed people.

a number of of major corporations have announced mass job cuts.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/884000-jobless-claims-made-last-week

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More than half of households in 4 largest U.S. cities struggled financially during pandemic

At least half of all households in those cities —

53 percent in New York City,

56 percent in Los Angeles,

50 percent in Chicago, and

63 percent in Houston —

reported facing serious financial problems, including depleted savings, problems paying credit card bills, and affording medical bills.

Black and Latino households in all four cities were particularly vulnerable.

In New York, 62 percent of Black households and 73 percent of Latino households
    reported struggles.

In Los Angeles those numbers are 52 and 71 percent, respectively, while 69 percent of Black households and 63 percent of Latino households in Chicago
    have faced the same.

And, most drastically, in Houston, 81 percent of Black households and 77 percent of Latino households
    said their financial issues were serious.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/93655...mic-poll-shows

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repugs ed it up, MISgovernance is their name.

Thousands of small-business loans may have been fraudulent, U.S. House panel finds

Tens of thousands of loans worth billions of dollars may have been subject to fraud, waste and abuse in the $659 billion taxpayer-funded program aimed at helping small U.S. businesses survive the coronavirus pandemic,

Over $1 billion from the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) went to companies that received multiple loans, in violation of the program's rules,

The PPP provided more than 5.2 million forgivable loans through the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) by the time it ended on Aug. 8.

The SBA did not immediately respond to requests for comment, but its internal watchdog has also found "strong indicators" of potential PPP fraud.

The Democratic-led panel found

more than 600 loans went to companies that should have been ineligible because they had been barred from doing business with the government.

Another 350 loans went to contractors with previous performance problems.

Nearly $3 billion went to businesses that were flagged as potentially problematic by a government-contracting database.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN25S5IM

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You wonder why McConnell waited a full month after negotiations between Pelosi and Mnuchin + Meadows fizzled out to introduce this bill. Seems like he realized that if there's no stimulus bill between now and election day Republicans are dead in the water so he's trying to flip the script and say it's the Democrats' fault, but he's still overplaying his hand with such a ty stimulus package.
    I'm not even sure it's that or his overlords just telling him they won't 100% reopen without the liability exception get out of jail free card...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Senate Repugs now saying no stimulus until after the election

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...care+about+you

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    This whole thing is un- ing-believable. The one time Americans could actually use help from the federal government and Nancy and Mitch are playing politics. Anyone that says either one of them were genuine with their respective bills are being delusional.

Nancy knew her thing wouldn’t pass because it was filled with pet projects and pork, then Mitch sat on it for too long and then proposed a republican version of the exact same thing only conservative pork, knowing it wouldn’t pass. They’re playing games while actual human beings are suffering.

We’re bickering online while they’re getting incredibly wealthy on the backs of tax payers.

Term Limits! And also I’m never voting democrat or republican again. I may throw away my vote but at this point I don’t give a . I’d love five minutes alone with either of these two suckers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This whole thing is un- ing-believable. The one time Americans could actually use help from the federal government and Nancy and Mitch are playing politics. Anyone that says either one of them were genuine with their respective bills are being delusional.

Nancy knew her thing wouldn’t pass because it was filled with pet projects and pork, then Mitch sat on it for too long and then proposed a republican version of the exact same thing only conservative pork, knowing it wouldn’t pass. They’re playing games while actual human beings are suffering.

We’re bickering online while they’re getting incredibly wealthy on the backs of tax payers.

Term Limits! And also I’m never voting democrat or republican again. I may throw away my vote but at this point I don’t give a . I’d love five minutes alone with either of these two suckers.
    Our government doesn't care about us. It's clarifying, at least.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    McConnell has been doing everything imaginable to create gridlock in congress since 2009. Pelosi and Schumer are done being the adults in the room who cave every time McConnell wants to play hardball. We didn’t have these problems prior to 2009, when McConnell made it his mission to jam up all legislation regardless of what the American people wanted because the GOP’s goal was to make Black President fail regardless of how much it slowed our recovery from a recession.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump’s payroll tax stunt has flopped — and some GOP-run states want no part of it

Trump’s effort to spur more hiring by issuing an
    executive order deferring payroll taxes has so far been a massive flop, and even some states run by Republicans are staying away from it.

both small and large businesses are opting to not take advantage of the tax deferral because they know they’ll simply have to pay the money back later,

despite the fact that Trump has assured them that he will forgive the money owed if he wins the 2020 presidential election.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/tru...-no-part-of-it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    " Nancy and Mitch are playing politics."

false equivalence

Dems passed HEROES Act months ago.

Moscow's Mitch won't even take it up, just like he blocked 400+ bills from the Dems since 2018.

This fiasco is totally on the Senate Repugs' smash-mouth, hardball, no-compromise politics, not on the Dems.

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    " Nancy and Mitch are playing politics."

false equivalence

Dems passed HEROES Act months ago.

Moscow's Mitch won't even take it up, just like he blocked 400+ bills from the Dems since 2018.

This fiasco is totally on the Senate Repugs' smash-mouth, hardball, no-compromise politics, not on the Dems.

This right here is a primary example of someone honestly believing that one side of the aisle has our best interest at heart.

NONE OF THEM CARE!

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    Our government doesn't care about us. It's clarifying, at least.
    Lol....that’s a silver lining I suppose...way to be positive! I like it!

Thread Information