https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-15708004.php

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's interesting is that republican judges signaled they aren't going to strike down all of the ACA -- possibly they strike down only the part that is already dead

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The economy as we knew it might be over, Fed Chairman says

The Covid-19 pandemic brought the economy to a screeching halt, and while it has started its
    long road to recovery, the economy we knew is probably a thing of the past, said Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell

"We're recovering, but to a different economy,"

accelerated existing trends in the economy and society,

including the increasing use of technology,
    telework and automation, he said.

This will have lasting effects on how people live and work.

it's likely that lower-paid workers, as well as those in jobs requiring face-to-face interactions, such as retail or restaurant workers, will shoulder most of the burden of this shift.

These groups, heavily skewed towards women and minorities, have already been among those most affected by pandemic layoffs,

risk of being less productive:

women have been forced to quit their jobs due to child care responsibilities during the crisis, and

children aren't getting the education they deserve,

Generally speaking, inequality holds the economy back, oligarchy doesn't care

there's going to be a probably substantial group of workers who are going to need support as they're finding their way in the post-pandemic economy,

because it's going to be different in some fundamental ways,"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/econo...ell/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idea: Reverse auction closure subsidies to bars, gyms, restaurants, theaters, entertainment sector, etc..

Governments have instinctively reacted with mandated closures, but this step might not be needed if one considers the alternative of taxes or subsidies. Taxes or subsidies have so far played no role in the so-called non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs), although they could achieve the same target in terms of social distancing.

In concrete terms, this could mean the following. The government could announce a subsidy to any store or restaurant owner willing to close their establishment for a certain time (e.g. 1-3 months). A longer period of closure would be better because it would help keeping infections low for the rest of the winter.

One needs to avoid the problem of remaining stores becoming more crowded once a large proportion close. Overcrowding was already regulated prior to the new second wave restrictions as customers were asked to keep a minimum distance apart. This type or regulation should be maintained in the simplest form possible: no more than a certain number of customers on the premises per square metre.

The government could thus start with a subsidy offer which could be specified in terms of a lump sum per square metre, paid up front to the owner of any retail establishment willing to close (for in-store shopping or dining) for a number of months. Take-away and internet sales would still be permitted. Each individual operator will then calculate herself the opportunities from other sales channels. For those least able to adapt, accepting the subsidy might be the best option.

In principle, it would be preferable to conduct a reverse auction under which retailers could submit the price at which they would be willing to close.
    https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020...-closures.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coase (1960) argues that provided transaction costs can be neglected, the efficient solution to a problem involving a difference between social and private cost should be independent of the allocation of property rights. In pandemic control, the interests of society are represented by the government, which keeps transaction costs low. The key question, then, is whether the right to keep a store open is held by the owner or whether it belongs to society. The fact that governments provide compensation indicates that they recognise that the right to stay open should belong to the owner. It follows that a subsidy for closure would be more appropriate than a tax on restaurants.2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The economy as we knew it might be over, Fed Chairman says

The Covid-19 pandemic brought the economy to a screeching halt, and while it has started its
    long road to recovery, the economy we knew is probably a thing of the past, said Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell

"We're recovering, but to a different economy,"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/econo...ell/index.html
    There isn't even a murmur out there about helping out regular people who lost their homes and their jobs because of the plague or are about to. Direct assistance to US citizens is not to found the Biden/Harris transition plan for COVID-19, btw. That's a big oversight.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There isn't even a murmur out there about helping out regular people who lost their homes and their jobs because of the plague or are about to. Direct assistance to US citizens is not to found the Biden/Harris transition plan for COVID-19, btw. That's a big oversight.
    McConnell said some weeks ago that many bag Repug Senators said not one more $ to unemployed.

I'm sure the less Dems are fully intimidated into trashing their HEROES and its cut-down version.

The plutocracy, both parties, doesn't give a tiny about citizens, esp now with no elections for 2 years (as if elections had any impact on govt policy which is fully defined by BigDonor).
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-13-2020 at 12:30 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what i dont get about this is...

wouldnt the maga people also love the fact that they're secured the courts?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The governor of Wyoming, Mark Gordon, has decided

to spend
    $15 million in coronavirus relief funds to boost oil and gas activity in the state.

Operators will be eligible for up to $500,000 to complete production on wells that had to shut down due to the pandemic,

or to plug and abandon idle wells.

That adds to the billions of dollars in CARES Act recovery funds that have already gone to the oil and gas industry
    nationwide."

-- Grist.org email

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great timing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a recent interview with Eater, San Francisco restaurant owner Pim Techamuanvivit articulated the bind she currently finds herself in: The pandemic has cratered her business at the same time that it’s made her staff’s continued employment—their salaries, their health insurance—that much more urgent. It’s an impossible situation. “I don’t understand why it’s up to me as a small-business owner to search my conscience every month to decide whether or not to support my employees,” she said. “Where is the conscience of this government, of this social system to support people? Where is the conscience of the country?”

Her point applies beyond just her industry. There is no way that business owners, or individual workers or consumers, can fix the crisis. We’ve been forced into this untenable situation by government incompetence and outright malice. And things are about to get much, much worse.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1601...ic-deadly-loop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what a "v-shaped" recovery looks like

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raging virus triggers new shutdown orders and economy braces for fresh wave of pain

Containing raging disease is key to healing the economy

The uncontrolled coronavirus outbreak is prompting government officials across the nation

to impose new restrictions on consumers and businesses,

sapping the economy’s momentum and

delaying the recovery of millions of jobs lost during the recession

“We’re hitting a bit of a tipping point,” Jerome said.

“People are getting to the point where they’re pretty stretched. People are vulnerable.”

Eight months into a historic crisis, the United States appears to be suspended in a sort of economic purgatory.

But the virus outlook is grim and getting grimmer.

Within the next week, the daily total will top 200,000 and is likely to reach 300,000 by early December,

Spending by 30 million Chase credit and debit cardholders through Nov. 9 was 7.4 percent below last year’s level and had “fallen notably” over the past two weeks,

Investors are profiting despite the worsening health situation

Between the end of September and the end of October, the number of Americans saying it was “very difficult” to pay their usual household expenses rose by more than 2.3 million, to 34.8 million,

“The risk of dying has gone down considerably relative to the spring. People may be willing to take more risks.”

The resurgent virus may depress activity no matter what government officials do. so do nothing

“More businesses will be at risk of permanently going out of business,

which would dampen labor demand and potentially spur new rounds of layoffs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rders-economy/

America is a failed country, operated by the increasingly wealthy and powerful oligarchy that is immune to the pandemic and doesn't give a about anything or anybody except amassing more Capital

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitch McConnell is one sick bas , tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mitch McConnell is one sick bas , tbh.
    Economists Say US Needs 400 Percent More COVID Relief Than McConnell Is Offering

The next coronavirus stimulus bill needs to be at least four times larger than Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-Ky.) $500 billion proposal,

McConnell repeatedly rejected the $3.4 trillion HEROES Act passed by the House back in May, and

the
    $2.2 trillion compromise offer House Democrats approved last month.

McConnell said this week that a bill “dramatically larger” than his $500 billion proposal is “not a place I think we’re willing to go.”

“The delay in providing the stimulus almost surely will increase the amount of money necessary to restore the economy,”

“Balance sheets of households and firms get eroded and firms go bankrupt.

Digging yourself out of a deep hole is much more expensive

than preventing a decline into a deep hole — ”

there are still more people unemployed than at any point since the Great Depression.

additional loans and grants to keep businesses open, enough money to provide

at least $300 to $400 per week in federal unemployment benefits,

funding to help struggling hospitals,

another round of $1,200 checks to help people pay rent, and

funding to help state and local governments that have “run out of money.”

the path to recovery would take years and far more funding than is being discussed for the next round of relief.

Restoring the unemployment rate to the 3.5% it was before the pandemic would require about $800 billion per year in stimulus funding totaling between $1.5 trillion and $2 trillion if it was for “very effective” stimulus measures like federal unemployment benefits and state and local aid

Republicans have argued that the higher number is a disincentive to workers to return to their jobs even though studies have repeatedly found that the generous federal boost had no impact on the labor market.

“Their households are at stake. If you can’t get $600, you have to accept $400.

The American democratic system is built on compromise. Moscow Mitch compromise?

the areas where hospitals are now filling up are in “Republican states.”

“Republicans governors need money as much as the Democratic governors do,” he said.

“This is not a red state-blue state divide when it comes to addressing this problem.”

“The pre-Covid low unemployment rate basically disguised just

how rotted our economy had become in its potential to deliver genuine security for all,”

https://truthout.org/articles/econom...l-is-offering/

Capitalism, the Fed rigs the economy to provide cheap labor, economic precarity drives workers to accept ty jobs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thousands of cars form lines to collect food in Texas

Thousands of people lined up for groceries at a food bank distribution event in Dallas, Texas, this weekend, with organizers saying the Covid-19 pandemic has increased need in the city.

North Texas Food Bank (NTFB) distributed more than 600,000 pounds of food for about 25,000 people on Saturday,

There were 7,280 turkeys distributed to families,

"Forty percent of the folks coming through our partners doors are doing so for the first time,"

"I haven't been working since December. I can't find a job, they cut off my unemployment -- it's a big deal. It's a real big deal."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/15/us/da...rus/index.html

How many voted for Trash?

America, is a failed state, due to Repug/oligarchy MISgovernance.

Capitalism is for Capitalists, everybody else get sucked dry, gets ed

Last edited by boutons_deux; 11-15-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Congress doesn’t act,

12 million Americans could lose unemployment aid after Christmas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...gress-inaction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stimulus is dead.

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    McConnell REALLY ed up when he decided to be a conservative again and suddenly worry about spending. What a ing idiot...read the room man!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McConnell REALLY ed up when he decided to be a conservative again and suddenly worry about spending. What a ing idiot...read the room man!
    goddamn, you're ing stupid

The only room McConnell and Repugs read is the room filled with BigDonor,

not with their rabid cult base that will always vote Repug no matter how badly the Repugs screw them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

not with their rabid cult base that will always vote Repug no matter how badly the Repugs screw them.
    Few groups have done more to hurt their fellow Americans than the Repugs voting McConnell in Kentucky.

Veteran
    My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count

I honestly hope you join your mom soon.

Thread Information