my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Consumer sentiment measure falls to pandemic-era low, sees one of largest drops on record

• The University of Michigan’s consumer sentiment index tumbled to 70.2 in its preliminary August reading.
    • That was the lowest reading since 2011.
    • The dramatic decline comes as the delta variant of Covid-19 has spread rapidly across the United States, leading some states and cities to reinstate mask mandates and other health restrictions.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/13/cons...on-record.html

& the silence out of the White House is deafening. He cannot face it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Despite Delta Threat,

Biden Admin Supports Letting Critical Jobless Aid Expire

"Ending UI benefits while the pandemic still rages is cruel, period."

With nearly eight million people set to lose federal unemployment benefits in just over two weeks,

the Biden administration on Thursday made clear that it supports allowing the pandemic-related jobless aid programs to expire, even as the highly transmissible Delta variant wreaks havoc across the United States.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/08/20/despite-delta-threat-biden-admin-supports-letting-critical-jobless-aid-expire

====================

So far, ending pandemic unemployment aid has not yielded extra jobs

American states that cut off supplemental benefits have seen

increases in hardship, but not in employment

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...ded-extra-jobs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

{{{-Seniors won't get dental, vision, hearing & home care}}}

ding, ding, ding,,,that's the one!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cutting unemployment insurance benefits did not boost job growth

July state jobs data show a widespread recovery

Key takeaways:

• The July state employment and unemployment data released Friday showed that strong job growth is widespread throughout the country, including in leisure and hospitality and state and local governments.
    • States that chose not to cut federal pandemic unemployment insurance (UI) benefits have, on average, experienced greater job growth since April than the 26 largely Republican-controlled states that cut benefits to unemployed workers.
    • Leisure and hospitality employment has grown at a quicker rate in states that preserved full UI benefits than in those that cut federal assistance.
    • However, with a nationwide jobs shortfall of between 6.6 and 9.1 million jobs, the economic recovery is still far from complete. Policymakers at every level of government should take action to help speed the recovery.

https://www.epi.org/blog/cutting-unemployment-insurance-benefits-did-not-boost-job-growth-july-state-jobs-data-show-a-widespread-recovery

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Repug cruelty of inhumane Capitalism

Unemployment Cutoffs Mainly Made Workers Poorer, Research Suggests

Jobless workers in states that cut federal benefits early had much less money but were only slightly likelier to have found jobs.

Republican governors canceled federal unemployment benefits earlier this summer to prod the unemployed into taking jobs,

but new research suggests most people who lost benefits remained unemployed.

In the Republican-led states that ended federal benefits in June, only one out of every eight workers found a job by early August, according to an academic analysis of thousands of workers’ incomes.

On average, workers in cutoff states lost $278 per week in benefits and gained just $14 in earnings ― meaning they collectively recovered only about 5% of their lost income. They spent $145 less per week.

“I was getting $363 a week and I could buy things,” Meyer said. “Now I can’t buy anything.”

Meyer, 57, worked as a home health aide until the pandemic. Now she babysits for her daughter and is wary of getting a new job because it could be risky for her health.

“I can’t really make myself get a job around here with all the maskless people and the delta variant exploding,”

The cutoffs did not entirely fail to produce the intended outcome, since the research suggests that workers in states that cut benefits were slightly likelier to take jobs.

Nearly 25% of workers receiving benefits in April subsequently received paychecks, compared to 21.5% in states that kept benefits,

the missing unemployment compensation could have resulted in something like $2 billion less consumer spending, meaning the states that cut benefits may have harmed their own economies.

“It generated a small increase in job finding and earnings went up a bit, but it’s a lot smaller than the drop in benefits,”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/unemp...b0e5b5d8e97e60

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BostonGlobe email

The Capitalist-tools SCOTUS6 conservatives have no limit to their ACTIVIST cruelty

"The Supreme Court’s conservative majority is allowing evictions to resume across the United States,

blocking the Biden administration from enforcing a temporary ban that was put in place because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Roughly 3.5 million people in the United States said they faced eviction in the next two months, according to Census Bureau data from early August."

Is there a Cons utional issue involved, or is the SCOTUS6 political s in robes simply governing from the bench, usurping (Dem) Exec branch?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Only about $5.1 billion of the $46.5 billion in aid had been disbursed by the end of July, according to figures released on Wednesday, as bureaucratic delays at the state and local levels snarled payouts."

The majority opinion, which was unsigned, said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had exceeded its authority.

“If a federally imposed eviction moratorium is to continue,” the opinion said, “Congress must specifically authorize it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/27/u...rium-ends.html

Why can't Biden extend the moratorium by EO?

America, a failed state, failed by Capitalists and their legislative/judicial hirelings
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-26-2021 at 09:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    around 90% of federal rental assistance is unspent, but that makes sense in the scenario where landlords have rights and tenants have means tested solutions; and also where states are not given assistance to administer aid programs during a pandemic driven economic downturn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Evictions may have helped spread disease and death

"Evictions may have accelerated COVID-19 transmission by decreasing individuals' ability to socially distance," said the study's senior author, Frederick Zimmerman, a professor of health policy and management at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health.

Researchers focused on data from Washington, D.C., and 43 states with eviction moratoriums. Twenty-seven of the states lifted the moratoriums before September 2020, and 17 of them extended them at least until September.

The study suggests the United States experienced 433,700 more COVID-19 cases and 10,700 more deaths during the summer of 2020 than it would have if eviction moratoriums remained in place. In total, the nation experienced more than 6.3 million cases of COVID-19 by September 2020 and about 193,000 people died by that time.

"The expiration of eviction moratoriums was associated with increased COVID-19 incidence and mortality, which supports the public-health rationale for eviction prevention to limit COVID-19 cases and deaths," said Dr. Craig Pollack, associate professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
    https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...oriums-expired

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

• Households receiving assistance almost doubled in June. Over 25% of those were in Texas, with nearly 70,000 households approved that month.
    • According to the Census Bureau's Household Pulse Survey, about 15% of renters were behind on rent at the end of July. Out of that group, 29% lost employment income in the previous four weeks. About a third of that 15% of renters are one month behind. Sixty-seven percent who can't make rent are two or more months behind.

States lag in distributing rental assistance while millions are behind on rent

https://usafacts.org/articles/states...ehind-on-rent/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    emergency UI ended on Labor Day

Two primary anchors of the government’s COVID protection package are ending or have recently ended. Starting Monday, an estimated 8.9 million people will lose all unemployment benefits. A federal eviction moratorium already has expired.
    https://apnews.com/article/covid-19-...72fe15b88b9a9a

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    On mother er Biden's tab, Winester.

ha, ha.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On mother er Biden's tab, Winester.

ha, ha.
    You're so ungrateful, you're $1400 ahead thanks to 46, Warnock, and Ossoff.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You're so ungrateful, you're $1400 ahead thanks to 46, Warnock, and Ossoff.
    I'm short the $600x2=$1200 because Biden stole it from me and President Trump.

That wasn't right, bum, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm short the $600x2=$1200 because Biden stole it from me and President Trump.

That wasn't right, bum, right?
    Ridiculous, all you were getting was the $600 out of Trump if 46, Warnock, and Ossoff weren't elected. With Biden, Warnock, and Ossoff you got the other $1400.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Ridiculous, all you were getting was the $600 out of Trump if 46, Warnock, and Ossoff weren't elected. With Biden, Warnock, and Ossoff you got the other $1400.
    BS! I was promised a fresh 2k/independent of what 45 gave me if the two Georgia democrats got in there. They got in there. Biden gives me $1400 and tells me to get the rest from 45..."Get the rest from the guy you voted for, chump, tee, hee."

That ain't right, bum, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BS! I was promised a fresh 2k/independent of what 45 gave me if the two Georgia democrats got in there. They got in there. Biden gives me $1400 and tells me to get the rest from 45..."Get the rest from the guy you voted for, chump, tee, hee."

That ain't right, bum, right?
    LOL Trump saying he was going to get you $2000 and then not fighting for it at all and getting that number dropped to $600. Lucky for you Biden, Warnock, and Ossoff got you that other $1400 that not a single Republican in the senate wanted to provide you. But you voted against your self interest even though it was clear Biden, Warnock, and Ossoff were your only chance at getting Trump's empty promise actually filled.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LOL Trump saying he was going to get you $2000 and then not fighting for it at all and getting that number dropped to $600. Lucky for you Biden, Warnock, and Ossoff got you that other $1400 that not a single Republican in the senate wanted to provide you. But you voted against your self interest even though it was clear Biden, Warnock, and Ossoff were your only chance at getting Trump's empty promise actually filled.
    - "I want my money, Henry!"

- "Morrie" - "Goodfellas"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - "I want my money, Henry!"

- "Morrie" - "Goodfellas"
    And you got it thanks to your President, Joseph Robinette Biden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time tbh. People have had a year and a half to figure out how to make an income.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's time tbh. People have had a year and a half to figure out how to make an income.
    Great, you can update this thread with the news of mass hirings.

Fwiw, COVID is still wrecking our society and the US economy is still 5-6 million jobs short of where it was before April of last year.

It's politically stupid and socially cruel to do this now. Pandemic isn't over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Federal pandemic relief isn't over for small businesses yet. The SBA is lobbying to include even more in the upcoming reconciliation bill.

The gravy train for owners appears to be intact for the time being.

Thread Information