Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100 LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 2496
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great, you can update this thread with the news of mass hirings.

Fwiw, COVID is still wrecking our society and the US economy is still 5-6 million jobs short of where it was before April of last year.

It's politically stupid and socially cruel to do this now. Pandemic isn't over.
    The pandemic isn't going to be over for a long while. We have the tools and knowledge to keep most everybody safe while returning to the workforce (whether we use them or not is another discussion).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The pandemic isn't going to be over for a long while. We have the tools and knowledge to keep most everybody safe while returning to the workforce (whether we use them or not is another discussion).
    Federal pandemic assistance for businesses still good, assistance to regular folks needs to stop.

Got it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just curious, is there some reason your "they had enough time to figure out how to make money" rationale doesn't apply to businesses too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fwiw, it appears that the inverse relationship between COVID and jobs still holds: in August COVID went up and hiring went down.

~500,000 jobs short of the estimate.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 09-08-2021 at 07:24 AM. Reason: double checked the figure, was 600,000

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just curious, is there some reason your "they had enough time to figure out how to make money" rationale doesn't apply to businesses too?
    I never said it didn't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said it didn't.
    well, we live in the world where it doesn't

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vast Expansion in Aid Kept Food Insecurity From Growing Last Year

Despite the economic downturn, government figures for 2020 show no overall rise in hunger of the sort typical in past recessions.

But some groups still suffered.

Despite the sudden loss of 20 million jobs at the start of the coronavirus pandemic,

food insecurity among Americans remained unchanged last year,
    the government reported Wednesday,

in what researchers called a testament to a vast expansion of government aid.

“There was no scenario in March of 2020 where I thought food insecurity would stay flat for the year.

The fact that it did is extraordinary.”

Food insecurity did rise among some groups, including households with children, Black Americans, and households in the South.

The gap between Black and white households, which was already large, widened further,

with 21.7 percent of Black households experiencing food insecurity, compared with 7.1 percent of white households.

That is a gap of 14.6 percentage points, up from 11.2 points in 2019, before the pandemic struck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/08/us/politics/vast-expansion-aid-food-insecurity.html

all y'all's systemic racism is doin great, congrats. Non-whites always screwed, cradle to (early) grave

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Business Travel, Conventions, Office Occupancy Stuck in Collapse:

Been so Long, People Forgot What Old Normal Was

Hotel business travel revenues expected to be down by 80% at top 20 destinations in 2021.

the all-important and lucrative business travel revenues – corporate, group, government, and other commercial travel – are expected to be down by $59 billion in 2021 from 2019,

For the 20 largest destinations in the US,

hotel business travel revenues are expected to collapse by 80% from $38 billion in 2019 to $7.6 billion in 2021

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/09/15/business-travel-conventions-office-occupancy-stuck-in-collapse-mode-its-been-so-long-people-forgot-what-the-old-normal-even-was/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    had to be done to satisfy President Manchin

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Business Travel, Conventions, Office Occupancy Stuck in Collapse:

Been so Long, People Forgot What Old Normal Was

Hotel business travel revenues expected to be down by 80% at top 20 destinations in 2021.

the all-important and lucrative business travel revenues – corporate, group, government, and other commercial travel – are expected to be down by $59 billion in 2021 from 2019,

For the 20 largest destinations in the US,

hotel business travel revenues are expected to collapse by 80% from $38 billion in 2019 to $7.6 billion in 2021

https://wolfstreet.com/2021/09/15/business-travel-conventions-office-occupancy-stuck-in-collapse-mode-its-been-so-long-people-forgot-what-the-old-normal-even-was/
    You'd have to be out of your in' mind to board a plane.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    back to your regularly scheduling dying so rich folks don't have to downsize their yacht or their investments in crypto

silly peasants

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the CARES Act was the best official act of Trump's presidency

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the CARES Act was the best official act of Trump's presidency

Trash had no input, gets no credit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trash had no input, gets no credit
    Republicans passed it and Trump signed it.

Sorry you're still going through this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans passed it and Trump signed it.

Sorry you're still going through this.
    Both parties had input, Trash had no input, gets no credit. I should charge you rent for living your ing head

"Sorry you're still going through this." have no original to replace this hackneyed ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both parties had input, Trash had no input, gets no credit. I should charge you rent for living your ing head

"Sorry you're still going through this." have no original to replace this hackneyed ?
    I barely ever talk to you and seldom check your posts, tbh.

Glad to know I'm living in your head rent-free.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas Company Offers Truckers $14K a Week During Tough Times for the Trucking Industry

https://altdriver.com/country/texas-...iver-shortage/

there was already huge lack of drivers before The Trash-Made Pandemic

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP governors who ended unemployment benefits failed to spur job growth, September numbers suggest

Republicans tend to blame poor jobs numbers on expanded unemployment insurance.

The numbers tell a different story

https://www.alternet.org/2021/10/unemployment/

Cruelty is The Point -- Adam Serwer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans Proven Wrong:

States That Kept Extended Unemployment Created More Jobs

An analysis of state-by-state data by The Associated Press found that workforces in the 25 states that maintained the $300 payment actually grew slightly more from May through September,

according to data released Friday, than they did in the 25 states that cut off the payment early, most of them in June.

The $300-a-week federal check, on top of regular state jobless aid, meant that many of the unemployed received more in benefits than they earned at their old jobs.

https://www.politicususa.com/2021/10...more-jobs.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To him who has, more will be given

ProPublica, using its trove of IRS records, identified at least 18 billionaires who received stimulus payments, which were funded by U.S. taxpayers, in the spring of 2020. Hundreds of other ultrawealthy taxpayers also got checks.

The wealthy taxpayers who received the stimulus checks got them because they came in under the government’s income threshold. In fact, they reported way less taxable income than that — even hundreds of millions less — after they used business write-offs to wipe out their gains.

ProPublica found 270 taxpayers who collectively disclosed $5.7 billion in income, according to their previous tax return, but who were able to deploy deductions at such a massive scale that they qualified for stimulus checks. All listed negative net incomes on tax returns.

Consider two stimulus recipients with similarly huge incomes in 2018. Timothy Headington is an oil mogul, real estate developer and executive producer of such films as “Argo” and “World War Z,” and he’sworth $1.4 billion. He had $62 million in income in 2018, but after $342 million in write-offs, his final result was negative $280 million. The same was true of Rennert, whose $64 million in income that year was erased by $355 million in deductions, for a final total of negative $291 million
    https://www.propublica.org/article/t...g-the-pandemic

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To him who hasn't, promised help will be withheld and what little he has, taken away

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Secret Service: Nearly $100B stolen in pandemic relief funds

Nearly $100 billion at minimum has been stolen from COVID-19 relief programs set up to help businesses and people who lost their jobs due to the pandemic

based on Secret Service cases and data from the Labor Department and the Small Business Administration,

The Secret Service didn’t include COVID-19 fraud cases prosecuted by the Justice Department.

Most of that figure comes from unemployment fraud. The Labor Department reported about $87 billion in unemployment benefits could have been paid improperly, with a significant portion attributable to fraud.

The Secret Service said it has seized more than $1.2 billion while investigating unemployment insurance and loan fraud and has returned more than $2.3 billion of fraudulently obtained funds by working with financial partners and states to reverse transactions. The Secret Service says it has more than 900 active criminal investigations into pandemic fraud, with cases in every state, and 100 people have been arrested so far.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-pandemics-us-secret-service-9d5c43814ef2c1ffb45c2a6f4e13faa9

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congress worried it might not be doing enough to take care of private businesses that didn't plan for an uncertain future or save enough money for a rainy day.

Culture of dependency, soft bigotry of low expectations, etc..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information