Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Yes, it was to on generations, and Mono on millennials as whiny and en led, so I don't get why he focused on all my criticisms of millennials thereafter. And nowhere in that post did I exalt boomers over millennials. I was simply countering Spurminator's effusive praise of them. Notice I criticized the Greatest Generation, as well. But that didn't seem to draw the same ire. Wonder why?
    Yeah no, definitely wasn’t the point to just generally on generations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just younger, it happens in a number of demographics also. I'm sure 'exciting the base' is not a new term for you, mid? And you keep harping on Trump the president vs Trump the candidate, but we can go back and see what he was campaigning on (a former liberal democrat, no less) and he ran a very lefty campaign.

I can't emphasize enough how bad a candidate Hillary was. I was joking last week that the DNC was going to make Donna Brazile Biden's VP, and half the forum here said they would vote for Trump if that was the case.
    That's how bad Hillary was. Unlikeable and unrelatable to the young, y and corrupt to the older, and yet she still managed to get more votes than Dear Leader, just not where it mattered.
    Everyone with a brain should've saw right through Trump as a lying flip-flopper. And his tax plan proposal from day one was never lefty. He paid some lip service to universal healthcare, but didn't elaborate. What I saw during the run up was the alt-right and other nationalist re s (on the likes of holes like the Chans and reddit) champion Trump, and indeed he courted them. He made that relationship even clearer by hiring Steve Bannon as his chief strategist and wonks like Stephen Miller. That was enough for me to vote for the y and old Hillary over him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or rank them. Whatever. He on millennials and boomers in the OP. I continued with general criticisms toward millennials, and then Mono replied to me with 6 month old zoomer memes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, it was to on generations, and Mono on millennials as whiny and en led, so I don't get why he focused on all my criticisms of millennials thereafter. And nowhere in that post did I exalt boomers over millennials. I was simply countering Spurminator's effusive praise of them. Notice I criticized the Greatest Generation, as well. But that didn't seem to draw the same ire. Wonder why?
    I don't think so. I think it was to talk about something other than the virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah... mono ranked millenials 5th out of 6th which wasnt exactly a ringing endorsement to begin with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah... mono ranked millenials 5th out of 6th which wasnt exactly a ringing endorsement to begin with
    Personally, I think the Greatest Generation silently did the most damage despite their World War II heroism. They were the inventors of outsourcing. They killed manufacturing. They started the Vietnam War. They started the intense meddling in the Middle East. The Cold War. The Reagan tax cuts. And so on.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I don't think so. I think it was to talk about something other than the virus.
    This social distancing got me bored as , Uncut Gems was incredibly disappointing, and I needed to stir up until I could watch the new episode of Devs picnroll and CC were guaranteed bites, but mid was completely unexpected

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'd love to see your stats on the comparative carbon footprint of a Camaro vs. the carbon footprint of a 100 smart devices. And what do you think the trucks that deliver all of those smart devices to them run on? Unicorn dust? Or the heavy equipment used to strip mine the materials to manufacture those phones? Greta Thunberg's tears?
    Avg iPhone X lifetime carbon emissions (usage and production): 79kg
    https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-ipho...mental-report/

Avg Camaro emissions from 60K miles of driving: 33.86 tons
    https://www.nextgreencar.com/emissio.../#calc-results
    Production: ~12 tons
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news...old-one-really
    Total: 45.86 tons, or 45,860 kg

iphone x 100 = 7,900 kg

So I should have said 500x

And Millennials didn't invent the 18-wheeler. Matter of fact, millennials weren't the generation that decided they need a new car every five years.

New phone every year vs. new car every five. Which one do you think creates a bigger carbon footprint? Which generation has adopted the hybrid and electric cars after previous generations laughed them off? Which generation is opting for urban living and taking public transportation to work?

I guarantee you as soon as there's a "green" phone, younger generations will adopt it while old timers will call them tree hugging hippies and criticize them for paying more.

My S5 still runs fine. Maybe don't buy in' Apple. They've been planned obsolescence, walled garden bull since their inception. But millennials seem to love Apple because they're so progressive and stylish, right?
    I can't find any stats supporting the idea that Millennials buy iPhones at a greater share than Android vs any other generation. The data certainly doesn't show a substantial preference vs. other age groups.

Not all change is good just because it's change. If the Dell is serving its purpose, no need to upgrade because the advertising man told you the new model is going to totally make life so much more exciting, convenient, and fun!
    Millennials own desktop and laptop computers at a lower incidence than Gen Xers, and overall ownership is declining. I don't know that there's any data to support the idea that they're getting a new laptop computer every couple years. They certainly use them less than they use their phones.

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet...ice-ownership/
    Last edited by Spurminator; 03-19-2020 at 07:54 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Your work a few days ago was my inspiration tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This social distancing got me bored as , Uncut Gems was incredibly disappointing, and I needed to stir up until I could watch the new episode of Devs picnroll and CC were guaranteed bites, but mid was completely unexpected
    Best thread in this forum in a long time, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best thread in this forum in a long time, tbh
    better than the Blake and Reck thread?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i will say, to go back, that mid is somewhat correct that buying used cars is more green than buying a new hybrid/electric car (though this contemplates that 1 brand new "green" vehicle is manufactured every time 1 is purchased, which isn't really how it works). ride the old ones, but stop manufacturing/buying new clunkers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    better than the Blake and Reck thread?
    That one is just depressing. Like watching someone slowly die even though you're trying to ignore them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone with a brain should've saw right through Trump as a lying flip-flopper. And his tax plan proposal from day one was never lefty. He paid some lip service to universal healthcare, but didn't elaborate. What I saw during the run up was the alt-right and other nationalist re s (on the likes of holes like the Chans and reddit) champion Trump, and indeed he courted them. He made that relationship even clearer by hiring Steve Bannon as his chief strategist and wonks like Stephen Miller. That was enough for me to vote for the y and old Hillary over him.
    That's what we all thought. We were clearly wrong. Globalization was much more hated than thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i will say, to go back, that mid is somewhat correct that buying used cars is more green than buying a new hybrid/electric car (though this contemplates that 1 brand new "green" vehicle is manufactured every time 1 is purchased, which isn't really how it works).
    I agree with this too, but at some point people will be buying used hybrid/electrics, and they only got market penetration in the first place because people bought the new ones and showed there was a demand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Avg iPhone X lifetime carbon emissions (usage and production): 79kg
    https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-ipho...mental-report/

Avg Camaro emissions from 60K miles of driving: 33.86 tons
    https://www.nextgreencar.com/emissio.../#calc-results
    Production: ~12kg
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news...old-one-really
    Total: 45.86 tons, or 45,860 kg

iphone x 100 = 7,900 kg

So I should have said 500x

And Millennials didn't invent the 18-wheeler. Matter of fact, millennials weren't the generation that decided they need a new car every five years.

New phone every year vs. new car every five. Which one do you think creates a bigger carbon footprint? Which generation has adopted the hybrid and electric cars after previous generations laughed them off? Which generation is opting for urban living and taking public transportation to work?

I guarantee you as soon as there's a "green" phone, younger generations will adopt it while old timers will call them tree hugging hippies and criticize them for paying more.

I can't find any stats supporting the idea that Millennials buy iPhones at a greater share than Android vs any other generation. The data certainly doesn't show a substantial preference vs. other age groups.

Millennials own desktop and laptop computers at a lower incidence than Gen Xers, and overall ownership is declining. I don't know that there's any data to support the idea that they're getting a new laptop computer every couple years. They certainly use them less than they use their phones.

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet...ice-ownership/
    You're actually posting advertising copy at me as "proof" of the low carbon footprint of the production of the iPhone? Nowhere in any of their copy do I see a breakdown of the environmental cost of the strip mining and battery production. How about this from an actual impartial source:

According to consultancy Cairn Energy Research Advisors, the lithium ion industry is expected to grow from 100 gigawatt hours (GWh) of annual production in 2017, to almost 800 GWhs in 2027.
    “Like any mining process, it is invasive, it scars the landscape, it destroys the water table and it pollutes the earth and the local wells,” said Guillermo Gonzalez, a lithium battery expert from the University of Chile, in a 2009 interview. “This isn’t a green solution – it’s not a solution at all.”
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lith...ronment-impact

8 in times in 10 years

That relates to the projections that the manufacturer of digital devices will half of the carbon footprint of all transportation in 20 years, and that's not even factoring in the transportation of the goods themselves. But yeah, millennials, so green and aware.

Apple's dumb report probably just considers the footprint of manufacture at the factory alone, and doesn't factor in all the strip mining and such in order to create the batteries.

https://www.businessinsider.com/appl...jaffray-2018-4
    https://fortune.com/2018/03/09/mille...rand-intimacy/

Android seems to sell better in the US per this graph, but teens and millennials cite Apple as their favorite brand. Perhaps their favorite Apple products are laptops and pads, but I think we can reasonably extrapolate they buy iPhones more than other generations.

they didn't invent 18 wheelers . (do millennials ever do anything wrong in your world?) But they sure as don't have a problem with those 18 wheelers and panel trucks bringing Amazon goodies to their doorsteps, do they?

Which generation has adopted the hybrid and electric cars after previous generations laughed them off?

"Compared to the demographics of the segment, Prius owners are much older and wealthier. Most are male (62% vs. 59% for the segment) with a median age of 65 years"

https://insideevs.com/news/319696/ty...s-male-age-51/

"Nissan’s director of electric vehicle sales and marketing in North America, said the average age of LEAF buyers has dropped from a high of 53 years old last year to 51 years old this year." (from 2013).
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 03-19-2020 at 08:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i will say, to go back, that mid is somewhat correct that buying used cars is more green than buying a new hybrid/electric car (though this contemplates that 1 brand new "green" vehicle is manufactured every time 1 is purchased, which isn't really how it works). ride the old ones, but stop manufacturing/buying new clunkers
    There's so many used products you can buy that on new products quality wise, are greener, and offer better performance. I'll take stereos for example. You can buy a used stereo on offerup that will absolutely on something like the homepod, soundbars or those re ed pill speakers. but it's not "smart" and doesn't have Bluetooth . Easily solved with dongles. In any event, I don't know why anyone would want a "smart" anything surveilling their house and collecting data for big corporations that is first routed to Indian tech centers where they do listen. "But it's cool and futuristic!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's so many used products you can buy that on new products quality wise, are greener, and offer better performance. I'll take stereos for example. You can buy a used stereo on offerup that will absolutely on something like the homepod, soundbars or those re ed pill speakers. but it's not "smart" and doesn't have Bluetooth . Easily solved with dongles. In any event, I don't know why anyone would want a "smart" anything surveilling their house and collecting data for big corporations that is first routed to Indian tech centers where they do listen. "But it's cool and futuristic!"
    go trade in your phone for a Razr flip phone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    go trade in your phone for a Razr flip phone
    Not sure I get the point here? Are you saying a product being "smart" is the selling point for something like homepod, so a vintage stereo won't do here? Like I said, you can make a vintage stereo smart with an Amazon Echo and a Bluetooth dongle.

Edit: Oh, you were referring to when I said I don't know why anyone would want a smart anything. I was mainly thinking of smart speakers and such when I typed that. Far as I know, smartphones don't listen to you like smart assistants do, so we hope:

https://www.consumerreports.org/smar...tening-to-you/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what we all thought. We were clearly wrong. Globalizationwas much more hated than thought.
    Trump's only broken clock moment here was taking a harder look at the Chinese. We really need to get off that teat. Yeah, manufacturing ain't coming home, but maybe we build up manufacturing in places like Central and South America (Honduras and Guatemala has made a lot of clothing in the past, IIRC). We already have some manufacturing base in Mexico with motor companies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump's only broken clock moment here was taking a harder look at the Chinese. We really need to get off that teat. Yeah, manufacturing ain't coming home, but maybe we build up manufacturing in places like Central and South America (Honduras and Guatemala has made a lot of clothing in the past, IIRC). We already have some manufacturing base in Mexico with motor companies.
    Sure, diversifying sources makes business sense, but it's time to acknowledge you can't put the globalization and manufacturing genie back in the bottle. The US is simply non-compe ive, no matter how much your leaders lie to you about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would you like to speak with the manager?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's enough trouble just running your underneath-a-pizza-parlor child sex ring on its own, and then you bring the deep state in? No thank you ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone needs to start an all time Boomer poster ranking ...

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone needs to start an all time Boomer poster ranking ...
    1. Thread
    2. Avante

Thread Information