Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/why-san-an...culture-reset/

The Gist: Spurs old-school style of doing things, clashing with the modern NBA landscape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if this was written to fans, or to the front office directly

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    U mean a no frills business way of doing things or they need to identify their offense and change up their defensive scheme?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Things we knew 5 years ago.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    le should be..."Spurs need a new coach and front office"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That "culture" is the only reason a lot of fans like the Spurs...
    Not so easy to ditch it..
    Making low skills backup Patty Mills the face of it was suicide...

Just need a new coach tbh
    His wife died ,he should have retired then tbh

Oh and F Loadmangement and the NBA who wanted him outta SA and into a bigger market.
    2014 Finals MVP shoulda been Timmys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Culture Change?
    I think they just need more talent. What is happening is completely expected- you don't go 20+ years drafting in the mid to late 20s
    Didn't treat nephew well?
    Toronto did everything- even with young talent and look what happened.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's somewhat counter-intuitive to the mindset that the rest of the NBA has passed the Spurs by is the fact that "the Beautiful Game" is what inspired today's style of play. Granted, the Warriors took the Spurs offensive game and modified it to largely focus on perimeter shooting, and that's the final model that's been copied by the rest of the league. But the Spurs laid the groundwork for that. And hidden in that great offense of the Warriors was really good defense, which was always the Spurs staple for success. I think the Spurs haven't been passed by nearly as much as they are handicapped by the limitations of their current roster.

The talent on this team is not that good, and this team's two marque players have no history of winning. The rest of the team is limited in ability and talent. We don't have length. We don't have great shooters. We can't play defense.

When you look at the assembled collection of limited talent, led by two guys who lack that killer instinct needed to win, it's amazing that this team has done as well as it has the last couple of seasons.

Does Pop need to be replaced someone more willing to stroke the fragile egos of today's superstars? Perhaps. Is he too old and out of touch? Maybe...but few thought that a year ago. I think he could still coach a talented group as well as he ever has.

My thought is that most of today's spoiled superstars won't choose San Antonio as a destination anyway, regardless of who's coaching. This team had a lot of coaches before Pop that didn't take the team anywhere, even with a prime Robinson, and with a prime Gervin prior to that. Even with Duncan, we had a great team because we scouted superior talent, primarily overseas, and were ahead of the curve in utilizing international talent. It's not a culture reset we need as much as a talent reset. We've done a terrible job building this roster and it needs to have the slate cleaned.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 03-19-2020 at 03:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Culture Change?
    I think they just need more talent. What is happening is completely expected- you don't go 20+ years drafting in the mid to late 20s
    Didn't treat nephew well?
    Toronto did everything- even with young talent and look what happened.
    The perception is that they didn't treat Kawhi well and that's why he demanded a trade.

There is a perception too that Toronto did. Kawhi actually was willing to stay but Uruji wouldn't agree to take Westbrook's contract back as a condition of acquiring Paul George.

The perception makes it more difficult to acquire stars via FA, not they were exactly a FA destination before.

The general point being that they need to be less rigid in regards to the culture and focus more on talent and less on the non basketball fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's somewhat counter-intuitive to the mindset that the rest of the NBA has passed the Spurs by is the fact that "the Beautiful Game" is what inspired today's style of play. Granted, the Warriors took the Spurs offensive game and modified it to largely focus on perimeter shooting, and that's the final model that's been copied by the rest of the league. But the Spurs laid the groundwork for that. And hidden in that great offense of the Warriors was really good defense, which was always the Spurs staple for success. I think the Spurs haven't been passed by nearly as much as they are handicapped by the limitations of their current roster.

The talent on this team is not that good, and this team's two marque players have no history of winning. The rest of the team is limited in ability and talent. We don't have length. We don't have great shooters. We can't play defense.

When you look at the assembled collection of limited talent, led by two guys who lack that killer instinct needed to win, it's amazing that this team has done as well as it has the last couple of seasons.

Does Pop need to be replaced someone more willing to stroke the fragile egos of today's superstars? Perhaps. Is he too old and out of touch? Maybe...but few thought that a year ago. I think he could still coach a talented group as well as he ever has.

My thought is that most of today's spoiled superstars won't choose San Antonio as a destination anyway, regardless of who's coaching. This team had a lot of coaches before Pop that didn't take the team anywhere, even with a prime Robinson, and with a prime Gervin prior to that. Even with Duncan, we had a great team because we scouted superior talent, primarily overseas, and were ahead of the curve in utilizing international talent. It's not a culture reset we need as much as a talent reset. We've done a terrible job building this roster and it needs to have the slate cleaned.
    Valid points but the roster was built with the culture in mind. That is part of the reason why the Spurs lack the talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Culture change? There isnt going to be basketball for a loong time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to retire. He’s been great, but has been trolling the last few years. Stars don’t want to play for him. He needs to move on.

The worst part about all of this is, if Durant hadn’t join GSW, the league would not have morphed this quickly into the 3 point chuck game. Lebron has already beaten them, and other teams were close. KD broke the NBA by joining them.

Now the 3 point cats outta the bag.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Once upon a time, Leonard was viewed as the perfect player to lead the Spurs into their next era."

Autist was never going to be able to carry the flame. He had (has) the talent, but there was never a hand-off from Tim to Kawhi like we saw from David to Tim, because Kawhi isn't that guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop needs to retire. He’s been great, but has been trolling the last few years. Stars don’t want to play for him. He needs to move on.

The worst part about all of this is, if Durant hadn’t join GSW, the league would not have morphed this quickly into the 3 point chuck game. Lebron has already beaten them, and other teams were close. KD broke the NBA by joining them.

Now the 3 point cats outta the bag.
    I would say that Houston started this. They changed the game when they took 33 per game in 2015 and were jacking 44 3's this season. Spurs fell waay behind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would say that Houston started this. They changed the game when they took 33 per game in 2015 and were jacking 44 3's this season. Spurs fell waay behind.
    And how may les has it gotten them.......

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i’d rather root for higher-character team-first squad of losers than the typical trash franchises even if they happen to be good in a given year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston took it to another level, but has nothing to show for it because they’re didn’t play D.

GSW was the perfect storm of all time great shooters, great system, really good defense...then they added KD to it, unreal.

The only way most the other teams felt they could keep up, especially the bad teams during the regular season, was to chuck the 3 ball. It quickly became habit, and here we are.

The game has literally become NBA Jam. It nothing but dunks and 3s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It’s no secret that San Antonio values high-character players. However, this high standard may have caused the Spurs to avoid signing or drafting certain players who don’t live up to their standards. If that is indeed the case, it would represent a clear flaw in Spurs logic: Overvaluing fit due to a supposed culture advantage that is no longer a true advantage." - ing nailed it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alternate take: The NBA needs a culture reset

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And how may les has it gotten them.......
    Spurs and Rockets have won exactly the same amount of les in that span....

Ranking in the bottom 5 in three-point attempts per game, over each of the past five seasons, hasn't exactly worked either.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol who did we skip for cultural reasons that would have brought us more wins?

Fact is that San Antonio is not a city that people dream of living in. We never have drawn big free agents and never will.

Take your Ls, make the right selections with the resulting picks, sign guys who are actually NBA players AND nice guys.

It's gonna take luck, but it always has. We're not going to become one of those organizations that turns over the entire franchise to any marginal all-star knucklehead just because we lucked/unlucked into an MVP who puts playing at home over everything.

We can field a compe ive team and still do things the right way once we are out from under our two marginal all-star mercurial sourpusses and make good on a couple of years of high draft picks.

Frankly, the culture, the Belichickness, is all we have. The mindset just happens to be represented by a guy who is only a role player. There is nothing to suggest that will be the case forever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol who did we skip for cultural reasons that would have brought us more wins?

Fact is that San Antonio is not a city that people dream of living in. We never have drawn big free agents and never will.

Take your Ls, make the right selections with the resulting picks, sign guys who are actually NBA players AND nice guys.

It's gonna take luck, but it always has. We're not going to become one of those organizations that turns over the entire franchise to any marginal all-star knucklehead just because we lucked/unlucked into an MVP who puts playing at home over everything.

We can field a compe ive team and still do things the right way once we are out from under our two marginal all-star mercurial sourpusses and make good on a couple of years of high draft picks.

Frankly, the culture, the Belichickness, is all we have. The mindset just happens to be represented by a guy who is only a role player. There is nothing to suggest that will be the case forever.
    I think people are highly underestimating the Mexican food. You can't get a respectable carne asada in Milwaukee! Ask Coach Bud!

Speaking of which I'm rather bummed this horror story is going to cost him a great shot at a championship. He's had a great season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people are highly underestimating the Mexican food. You can't get a respectable carne asada in Milwaukee! Ask Coach Bud!

Speaking of which I'm rather bummed this horror story is going to cost him a great shot at a championship. He's had a great season.
    Especially trying to keep a team together in a small market
    They do have the advantage of billionaire owners, but will be hard long term

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs really wanted to compete they'd promote a few mexican rappers and try to generate a buzz. Doesn't matter if they are good or anything, they just need to be promoted. There's no black culture in SA and barely a youth culture. Great place to raise a family and sit in traffic, that's San Antonio now.

It would be cool if San Antonio could be the poor man's LA and Austin the poor man's San Francisco but i don't think the city has it in em. They could lean into Tim Duncan and brand themselves as the team of the Caribbean. Anything but "value tourist town"

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league could do a lot to even things up if they would just move the 3P line out one foot. They could even keep the stupid short corner, since it would be a foot longer and there would only be 24" to stand in at the baseline. There would be a lot more toes on the line, and heels stepping out of bounds. If Silver didn't want this, they would have done it already.

The 3 is especially overpowered at the end of games. One rule change I've never heard anywhere else that I would like to see is that in the last 2:00 of the game, a missed 3-pointer is an automatic change of possession.

There was a time when the league put in a jump ball after FT's. That way a team couldn't foul and automatically count on getting the ball back. It slowed the game down too much, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in the last 2:00 either.

Thread Information