Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    People need something to believe in that distinguishes them from others, makes them righteous and others immoral or evil

In the absence of belief in God, people are rushing to worship the state in whatever form is most palatable to them at an alarming rate. Politicians are the new priests, revolutionaries are the martyrs, and convert or be shunned is the new normal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i disagree

i think people can learn good things from religion, but i dont think religion is necessary to learn those good things. religions also have bad teachings that in modern times we choose to ignore. the fact that we already know which parts are good and which parts are bad are already indicative that we have our own moral compass outside of religion. i recognize that the stories might help people internalize the messages and teachings, but that still doesnt mean we should be believing that those stories are accurate representations of history or science, which is the basis of religion, the belief/fatih

i dont think people who aren't religious default to "worshipping the state" either. in fact, a lot of religious people are the ones who place politicians on a pedestal. theres even a poster of this forum who thinks trump's election was the fulfillment of a biblical prophecy.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People need something to believe in that distinguishes them from others, makes them righteous and others immoral or evil

In the absence of belief in God, people are rushing to worship the state in whatever form is most palatable to them at an alarming rate. Politicians are the new priests, revolutionaries are the martyrs, and convert or be shunned is the new normal.
    Yes indeed.

And the kind that preaches the color of your black skin makes one inferior.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Some sort of moral compass would be appropriate for these folks. When everything is relative to you and you don't actually stand for anything you are more apt to fall for anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at what point was god and religion removed from public life?

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...me-in-the-u-s/

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So go convert to islam then... it's the most religious religion in the world

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we know, independent from the bible, that the bible is immoral as it relates to slavery. we came to that conclusion because we have our own moral compasses, as individuals or as a society.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Slavery still exists, just to a more palatable extent. You are a slave to your employer who calls the shots.

we know, independent from the bible, that the bible is immoral as it relates to slavery. we came to that conclusion because we have our own moral compasses, as individuals or as a society.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you indicate this time frame?
    When God and religion were removed from public life and your ending time frame.
    I suggest you make the ending time frame today as covid isolation has broken up a lot of relationships, its tough not getting time away from others.
    Just helping you fit it in so it works and you can scour for the internet for the correct time frame to fit your tweeted fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Religion largely gaslights everything it touches, tbh.... War is terrible as it is, war + religion is like adding more gas to the flames. Politics is bad as it is, politics + religion is a ing backwards nightmare. Rinse and repeat.

No thanks, feel free to keep religion personal to yourself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually the New Testament definitely gave some people pause from accepting what they were doing.
    But it did not stop the majority.

One can usually get out of the moral compass impasse by declaring we are all sinners, its a very popular rationale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hail Constantine the Holy King!

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually the New Testament definitely gave some people pause from accepting what they were doing.
    But it did not stop the majority.

One can usually get out of the moral compass impasse by declaring we are all sinners, its a very popular rationale.
    new testament didnt disavow slavery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slavery still exists, just to a more palatable extent. You are a slave to your employer who calls the shots.
    do you know what slavery is?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    do you know what slavery is?
    Yes and it will always exist, unfortunately. At least now you can walk away and find another slave driver employer to replace the previous one in order to sustain on this planet.
    Last edited by Dirks_Finale; 06-19-2020 at 09:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God bless the USA!

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's ignorant. You can always quit, and there are safety nets like food pantries to help bridge the gap until you get a new job or make money doing something else.

slavery is FORCED labor, nobody is forcing you to work for an employer, they are paying you, but you have the right to terminate employment (and not receive pay).

the one caveat is that state unemployment benefits are extremely hard to get (at least in Texas).

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah, if you are a common joe with a $2500 mortgage, no food pantry in America will bridge that gap for you. Your employer tells you to stand on your head and make quacking noises you will do it

that's ignorant. You can always quit, and there are safety nets like food pantries to help bridge the gap until you get a new job or make money doing something else.

slavery is FORCED labor, nobody is forcing you to work for an employer, they are paying you, but you have the right to terminate employment (and not receive pay).

the one caveat is that state unemployment benefits are extremely hard to get (at least in Texas).
    Last edited by Dirks_Finale; 06-19-2020 at 04:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes and it will exist, unfortunately. At least now you can walk away and find another slave driver employer to replace the previous one in order to sustain on this planet.
    how do you define slavery?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    There are varying degrees to almost everything. We live in a world full of gray area, not black or white.

how do you define slavery?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just rewatched the whole thing. Definitely been the same message since, with regard to an awful dystopia we were living in (offshored jobs, gangs of Mexican immigrants, Islamic terrorists) and how he will save all of us via God. Reminds me of Brexit, + the born again Christian, God is American angle. And how DC was evil and took everything from the workers. I guess past presidents up there didn't like that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are varying degrees to almost everything. We live in a world full of gray area, not black or white.
    great

so how do you define slavery?

Thread Information