Page 185 of 185 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185
Results 4,601 to 4,611 of 4611
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Portugal is a great country to live tbh.. cost of living is still not too high, food is amazing and weather is great. That's a solid back up plan
    Just dont ride the bus.

The BO is real

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have heard Portuguese spoken good luck. Sounds as confusing as Irish imo.
    Gerrman has to be much easier; Spanish as well.
    According to the State Department, Portugese is a Category 1 langauge, eg easiest to learn for a native English speaker (600-750 hours).

https://www.state.gov/foreign-language-training/

Ugh the one I'm studying (Japanese) is in the super hard category (2200 hours), along with Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, and Korean. The writing system is such a bas making it much harder to read than Chinese despite using (roughly) the same characters. Though it's much easier to hear and pronounce than any Chinese dialect at least.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the State Department, Portugese is a Category 1 langauge, eg easiest to learn for a native English speaker (600-750 hours).

https://www.state.gov/foreign-language-training/

Ugh the one I'm studying (Japanese) is in the super hard category (2200 hours), along with Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, and Korean. The writing system is such a bas making it much harder to read than Chinese despite using (roughly) the same characters. Though it's much easier to hear and pronounce than any Chinese dialect at least.
    I would have never guessed.
    I picked up nothing. Drew a total blank, but Im not good with languages anyway.

Written and such, you got completely out of Latin and lettering so what the were you thinking?
    Do you want to go, or are you doing this for the fun of it? (for me, it would be impossible)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard is it to live there if you donít speak the language? Can you get by with just English while you learn the language?
    well if you stay in "big" cities yeah no issue.. if you speak spanish you will get through with no major issue untill you can learn. Portugues from Portugal is tough one though... I speak portugues from Brazil for a long time now and sometimes I can't understand what the they are saying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Written and such, you got completely out of Latin and lettering so what the were you thinking?
    Do you want to go, or are you doing this for the fun of it? (for me, it would be impossible)
    I'm part Japanese, and I love playing Japanese games, some of which never get localized to the west. Eg stuff like 龍が如く維新! or ペルソナ2罰. Even in the best case it can be a year between when a game I want to play comes out in Japan vs when it gets western localization (eg ペルソナ5スクランブル・ザファントムストライカーズ). Just interested a lot in the culture too. Movies, history, etc. I love Kurosawa movies for example, though I gotta turn JP subs on because it's impossible for me to understand mumbling Japanese (e.g., 生きる = Ikiru is really bad for this) or shouting samurais without the JP subs.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 11 Hours Ago at 07:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also knowing a bit of Japanese makes Japanese games more fun to play even if I'm playing with English sub les, because there is a lot of stuff that just does not translate into English at all. Or even if you tried, the translation would have to be really awkward. For instance, in Japanese you do not use pronouns a whole lot and they can sound conceited and/or aggressive if you use them too much. I/ you / he / they / etc are just supposed to be known from context. So you mix that in with the speech levels of formality and you can make jokes that just can't be made easily in English. Or another is that Japanese has very few sounds and quantized Chinese pronunciations into far fewer syllables with no tones (so much of Japanese uses Chinese loanwords) which leads to an enormous number of nyms (think to vs too vs two), which means you will constantly see puns used. Like one game I play there is a bookstore called 四目内堂書店 = yomenaidou shoten = yomenaidou bookstore. But 読めない = yomenai = 'can't read' so it's making a joke like the bookstore is called 'I can't read bookstore'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard is it to live there if you donít speak the language? Can you get by with just English while you learn the language?
    If you get an Euro passport, you can live anywhere in Europe... except a few select countries like England now...

I still have my Italian passport somewhere...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not Dangerous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Update (21 September 2020):::

Trump's Corona Plague dead: 204,506+
    Trump's Corona Plague dead (in units of 9/11s): 68.56+
    Bexar County Dead: 1025
    South Korea dead: 383
    Regular Flu dead: 23+k
    Spanish Flu dead: 275k
    Obama's H1N1 Flu dead: 12.5k

Let us proceed...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 28-year-old doctor from Syracuse has died after battling a serious case of COVID-19 for more than two months

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    A 28-year-old doctor from Syracuse has died after battling a serious case of COVID-19 for more than two months
    Pffff, he was gonna die anyways. He’s lucking he wasn’t in the twin towers. That bought him another 19 years.

Thread Information