Page 184 of 303 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 7567
    my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the State Department, Portugese is a Category 1 langauge, eg easiest to learn for a native English speaker (600-750 hours).

https://www.state.gov/foreign-language-training/

Ugh the one I'm studying (Japanese) is in the super hard category (2200 hours), along with Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, and Korean. The writing system is such a bas making it much harder to read than Chinese despite using (roughly) the same characters. Though it's much easier to hear and pronounce than any Chinese dialect at least.
    I would have never guessed.
    I picked up nothing. Drew a total blank, but Im not good with languages anyway.

Written and such, you got completely out of Latin and lettering so what the were you thinking?
    Do you want to go, or are you doing this for the fun of it? (for me, it would be impossible)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard is it to live there if you don’t speak the language? Can you get by with just English while you learn the language?
    well if you stay in "big" cities yeah no issue.. if you speak spanish you will get through with no major issue untill you can learn. Portugues from Portugal is tough one though... I speak portugues from Brazil for a long time now and sometimes I can't understand what the they are saying

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Written and such, you got completely out of Latin and lettering so what the were you thinking?
    Do you want to go, or are you doing this for the fun of it? (for me, it would be impossible)
    I'm part Japanese, and I love playing Japanese games, some of which never get localized to the west. Eg stuff like 龍が如く維新! or ペルソナ2罰. Even in the best case it can be a year between when a game I want to play comes out in Japan vs when it gets western localization (eg ペルソナ5スクランブル・ザファントムストライカーズ). Just interested a lot in the culture too. Movies, history, etc. I love Kurosawa movies for example, though I gotta turn JP subs on because it's impossible for me to understand mumbling Japanese (e.g., 生きる = Ikiru is really bad for this) or shouting samurais without the JP subs.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 09-21-2020 at 07:07 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also knowing a bit of Japanese makes Japanese games more fun to play even if I'm playing with English sub les, because there is a lot of stuff that just does not translate into English at all. Or even if you tried, the translation would have to be really awkward. For instance, in Japanese you do not use pronouns a whole lot and they can sound conceited and/or aggressive if you use them too much. I/ you / he / they / etc are just supposed to be known from context. So you mix that in with the speech levels of formality and you can make jokes that just can't be made easily in English. Or another is that Japanese has very few sounds and quantized Chinese pronunciations into far fewer syllables with no tones (so much of Japanese uses Chinese loanwords) which leads to an enormous number of nyms (think to vs too vs two), which means you will constantly see puns used. Like one game I play there is a bookstore called 四目内堂書店 = yomenaidou shoten = yomenaidou bookstore. But 読めない = yomenai = 'can't read' so it's making a joke like the bookstore is called 'I can't read bookstore'.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How hard is it to live there if you don’t speak the language? Can you get by with just English while you learn the language?
    If you get an Euro passport, you can live anywhere in Europe... except a few select countries like England now...

I still have my Italian passport somewhere...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not Dangerous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Update (21 September 2020):::

Trump's Corona Plague dead: 204,506+
    Trump's Corona Plague dead (in units of 9/11s): 68.56+
    Bexar County Dead: 1025
    South Korea dead: 383
    Regular Flu dead: 23+k
    Spanish Flu dead: 275k
    Obama's H1N1 Flu dead: 12.5k

Let us proceed...

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 28-year-old doctor from Syracuse has died after battling a serious case of COVID-19 for more than two months

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    A 28-year-old doctor from Syracuse has died after battling a serious case of COVID-19 for more than two months
    Pffff, he was gonna die anyways. He’s lucking he wasn’t in the twin towers. That bought him another 19 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    200k rotten carcasses

Its official

Not in our wildest dreams

380-400k by new year is the new possibility

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Wasn't fat either. Looked to be in otherwise good health.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    200k rotten carcasses

Its official

Just imagine how bad it gets once SCOTUS kills Obamacare and takes away pre-existing condition protections. We'll have tens of millions of Americans who are vulnerable to acute symptoms getting kicked off their healthcare and choosing to sit at home withering away rather than going to hospital and facing medical bill bankruptcy.

This is what a right wing dystopia looks like

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to the State Department, Portugese is a Category 1 langauge, eg easiest to learn for a native English speaker (600-750 hours).

https://www.state.gov/foreign-language-training/

Ugh the one I'm studying (Japanese) is in the super hard category (2200 hours), along with Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, and Korean. The writing system is such a bas making it much harder to read than Chinese despite using (roughly) the same characters. Though it's much easier to hear and pronounce than any Chinese dialect at least.
    That is how the Defense Dept. classifies languages as well. When I signed up waaaay long ago in 1989 I originally signed as a linguist, having done very well on the ap ude test they give you in a completely made up language made soley for the test.

I got assigned Arabic, which my 19 year old self did not want, and that course was a bit over a year. Joined army so I wouldn't have to go to college, and they stuck me in... language college with 6 hours of class and 2-3 hours of homework. I limped along until my clearance came in, and then went on to be an analyst.

I regret it slightly, but still remember small snippets, like pronouns, the first few numbers, and a few phrases. "oonthor, hathahee dababa" ["look, it is a tank", or lit "look, she is a tank" since there is no "it" in arabic].

Someday I will go back to the well, and take some classes on it. Fun language, although every country essentially has its own dialect these days that is vastly different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just imagine how bad it gets once SCOTUS kills Obamacare and takes away pre-existing condition protections. We'll have tens of millions of Americans who are vulnerable to acute symptoms getting kicked off their healthcare and choosing to sit at home withering away rather than going to hospital and facing medical bill bankruptcy.

This is what a right wing dystopia looks like
    Gonna be great when having gotten COVID is a pre-existing condition and 70% of the nation won't be eligible for health insurance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    200k rotten carcasses

Its official

You didn't think it was in our wildest dreams? I was expecting ~450k American corpses from the pandemic and we're more than halfway there counting the "pneumonia" deaths while most likely only 1/3 of the way at most into the pandemic. We probably have another year of this raging.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Gonna be great when having gotten COVID is a pre-existing condition and 70% of the nation won't be eligible for health insurance.
    I'm not joking when I say that if Biden wins and the Dems win the senate, I hope SCOTUS guts Obamacare. I know Biden has always been a pussy who's all about saying his hands are tied by rules the GOP never follows, but he cares about legacy, and that scenario leaves him with literally no options other than nuking the filibuster and stacking the court to pass healthcare legislation. He doesn't want to be remembered as the president who could have protected the most vulnerable and sick Americans but didn't.

Roberts also cares about legacy as Chief Justice so I don't think he votes to gut Obamacare though. Thomas, Alito, Barrett (we all know she's the pick) and Kavanaugh don't give a about legacy so they'll happily gut Obamacare. The question is what does Gorsuch do, but in the end there's no way Trump put Gorsuch on the bench unless he knew Gorsuch would gut Obamacare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not joking when I say that if Biden wins and the Dems win the senate, I hope SCOTUS guts Obamacare. I know Biden has always been a pussy who's all about saying his hands are tied by rules the GOP never follows, but he cares about legacy, and that scenario leaves him with literally no options other than nuking the filibuster and stacking the court to pass healthcare legislation. He doesn't want to be remembered as the president who could have protected the most vulnerable and sick Americans but didn't.

Roberts also cares about legacy as Chief Justice so I don't think he votes to gut Obamacare though. Thomas, Alito, Barrett (we all know she's the pick) and Kavanaugh don't give a about legacy so they'll happily gut Obamacare. The question is what does Gorsuch do, but in the end there's no way Trump put Gorsuch on the bench unless he knew Gorsuch would gut Obamacare.
    What would you expect Biden to pass?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    What would you expect Biden to pass?
    Stronger Obamacare with a public option, the healthcare plan that's in his platform.

He's already gone from definitively saying he's against court packing to saying he's not going to answer questions about court packing. That's a step in the right direction.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not just health insurance but I'm sure life insurance companies are going to try and start putting "death by covid complications" exemptions on their policies

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't think it was in our wildest dreams? I was expecting ~450k American corpses from the pandemic and we're more than halfway there counting the "pneumonia" deaths while most likely only 1/3 of the way at most into the pandemic. We probably have another year of this raging.
    Not real. Go here for an example of why you are ignorant 9 months in
    https://datacatalog.cookcountyil.gov...-Dea/3trz-enys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This message is hidden because foldren is on your ignore list.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baseline bum lives in ignorance

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    not just health insurance but I'm sure life insurance companies are going to try and start putting "death by covid complications" exemptions on their policies
    Commercial general/professional liability policies are already putting COVID-19 exemptions on policies for senior care facilities, and lets just say the language used gives them broad discretion in determining with is/isn't COVID-19 related

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol all the secondary causes of death in almost everyone covid. Lies lies lies.

Thread Information