Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IcemanCometh
    Are we seriosuly stuck with Rasho Nesterovic as our only ing signing.

WHAT A ING PIECE OF SUMMER

KoriEllis
    No, this guy just signed.

Wednesday, July 16

Duncan agrees to seven-year deal with Spurs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

Tim Duncan has agreed to a seven-year, $122 million deal with the San Antonio Spurs, ESPN's David Aldridge reported Wednesday.

Even though Duncan had become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, he indicated that the only team he was considering was the Spurs.

Duncan led San Antonio to the NBA le this past season, defeating the Nets in six games.

Shelly
    Agree, Kori...

Now I'll admit that I am ignorant when it comes to FAs, contracts, etc., but what I DON'T understand is why these people wouldn't want to play with Duncan and on a team that has won 2 championships.

Is it because they don't want to take a backseat to Tim?

Ghost Writer
    No.

It's because everyone think San Antonio is a stuffy team and a boring place to play. Ask _____ ____.

Aggie Hoopsfan
    Of course Maggette going to the hotbed of hotties up in Utah makes sense..

AHF

Marcus Bryant
    It's because everyone think San Antonio is a stuffy team
    And you know this how? How exactly are Tim Duncan, Stephen Jackson, Malik Rose, and Tony Parker "stuffy"? WTF? Damn, I saw Jax and Rose at the Playboy Mansion last night on ESPN2. Yeah, they're "stuffy." ing moron.

and a boring place to play.
    Yes Ghost, we are all boring and yet you choose to be here.

Shelly
    Seriously, I really think these people want to be the 'star' outside of Kidd. It makes no sense to me. If I were a FA, I'd be drooling to play Duncan.

At least Rasho got it. :p

Ghost Writer
    Marcus, my explanation is perpetuated by high-profile people from Charles Barkley to Cedric the Entertainer.

Check the ratings from the Finals as more evidence that people are bored to death about the Spurs.

Two ballas aren't enough to change that perception overnight.

Playing in the shadow of Tim Duncan holds no more water that my musings.

Marcus Bryant
    So is Stephen Jackson now not a "credible balla"? Oh no.

T Park Num 9
    Jack has been dropped.

be devastated..... Hows he gonna recover this offseason........

Marcus Bryant
    Playing in the shadow of Duncan certainly affects the endorsement potential of a player on the Spurs. That is significant. Not your stupid ass rantings about the Spurs not having a "credible" black assistant coach or whatever. Get a ing clue, chump.

Samurai Jane
    Because they want to play in the East... easier pickings I guess..

Ghost Writer
    Oh yeah. Shaq and Kobe sure have a problem lining up those endorsement deals.

STFU already Marcus.

I can't beleive you are going to act like there isn't a boring, conservative stereotype associated with San Antonio.

Gimme a friggin' break.

T Park Num 9
    so your saying

San ANtonio shouldve acted like a bunch of dumb s when we won???

So were supposed to act like the morons from LA and other towns that win

just so we can NOT be conservative???

Interesting.

Such bull .

Ghost Writer
    No, dope.

I am cluing you in to why stars don't come here.

San Antonio is not at the top of the list of free agents for a reason or two, pal.

We had everything to offer and still got shot down.

What does that tell you?

Question.

tlongII
    It is because San Antonio is hot, dry, and dusty..............and flat.

DuffMcCartney
    And of course this is coming from somebody from Oregon.....the place that has produced......_________......and of course we cant forget that without Oregon there wouldnt be...__________?

ALSPURS
    There has to be someone that is willing to come to a Championship team and play with some of the best players in the NBA.....In front of some of the best fans in the NBA.And get paid alot of money in doing it.

For a second there we sound like the Yankees...

GrandeDavid
    Boring my ass. As long as we keep winning championships the big market bandwagoners can kiss our collective ass. Speaking from a more international perspective, I've had a few people from Brazil, the Netherlands and Germany over at my house in San Antonio this past year. These are people who have literally traveled the world and have been there and done that across America. ALL of them absolutely loved San Antonio. Sure, we played some golf and sipped some margaritas and all, but the overall hospitality, geographical location etc. was impressive in their eyes. Now if NBA ballers want to go whoring and be losers in character, that's another thing. But San Antonio is a cool town, man. No doubt about that!

SequSpur
    Bro...

Come on..

Tacos?

Margaritas?

Hospitality? Try driving 410 at 5 pm.. Sheyitt.. ain't no hospitality there brotha...

Dude, that isn't a reason to come here.. San Antonio is rather boring unless you like going to Sea World and Fiesta Texas, over and over again..

You must be a tourist...

GrandeDavid
    Nope. Born in Houston but raised in Phat Antonio. Hey, aside from whatever there is to do in San Antonio, its close to Austin, not far from the coast, and not far from the desert paradise called Nuevo Laredo.

Sequ, you sound cynical as . Maybe you should do as I've done and move away for awhile, then you'll appreciate the city more. :p

T Park Num 9
    I have to move away every summer.

I love San Antonio more and more every fall when i get back home.

The big city, small town feel I LOVE.

Players dont want to come here cause were not loaded with clubs and hos and drugs and beachs.

I love San Antonio. Obviously Rasho likes it.

Thats all that matters.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
    Guys, GW ain't dissing SA, he's explaining what the PERCEPTION of SA is amongst many players - unglamourous.

Unfortunately I think he's right, what other explanation is there for our bust of a summer??? You and I know that the perception couldn't be farther from the truth - I love SA so much, it's a wonderfully friendly city with heaps to offer - but unfortunately most NBA glamourhounds don't understand that.

Dunkel Weizen
    Everyone here may love San Antonio.

But given a choice between becoming part of a dynasty in San Antonio, and being an also-ran anyplace else on Earth, players are flocking to the latter.

I mean, Joumana Kidd freaking said it, the city is perceived as Timbuktu. Whether it's true or not is irrelevant.

And I think we now understand that when any player says their #1 priority is winning a championship, they're lying.

Ghost Writer
    Ruff is right. Shi-i-i-t, I choose to vacation in San Antonio. I love the climate, the Tex-Mex food, the tourist attractions, the friendly people... everything about the city.

I obviously don't have a problem with the Spurs style of basketball either. What's wrong with sticking to fundamentals and winning?

I am just saying that those characteristics may not appeal to free agents.

Tim Duncan is more of a reserved, cerebral basketball player. It's now wonder he loves San Antonio. He fits right in to the laid-back atmosphere.

I think more players should give San Antonio a chance. They can party and go wild on the road!

Thread Information