Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    US corporations maybe but International corporations will always pick the cheaper product

China will evlipse any US production in the real world scenario.

its similar to US shale vs OPEC oil. US has to babysit and prop the industry but it will never really compete with its compe ors and will be extremely weak and a money pit
    Exactly, (our time) to put the stopper in this particular bottle was in the early '60's...when we was laughing our asses off at -Made in China- labels all over our .

& that is why R & D alike haven't even broached a (back to basics) action during Corona.
    It's over. It's been over. over-over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, (our time) to put the stopper in this particular bottle was in the early '60's...when we was laughing our asses off at -Made in China- labels all over our .

& that is why R & D alike haven't even broached a (back to basics) action during Corona.
    It's over. It's been over. over-over.
    yup the train has left the station

Giuseppe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one moe note it was not chinas fault we were caught with our pants down tbqh

we had 1% of the necessary equipment ready

our healthcare system is a bloated mess that is not ready for a pandemic

etc,etc

this is our fault
    still continuing your larping as some pro-commie shill.

This WAS China's fault. They didn't permanently close down the wild animal trade after SARS because Xi probably likes to take Rhino horn enemas and eat Sun bear himself. Then when this show hit in Wuhan, they actively suppressed information, resulting in other countries losing crucial days in preparation.

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-e...l?stream=china

leave China alone

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive already lost my post 3 times and don't have time to keep going.

Just want to point out that China has sent materials and doctors everywhere including the us. And more importantly they sent the genetic map of the virus to everyone worldwide in early January so that everyone could try and develop a vaccine. Pretty sure that last step is unprecedented,either way hard to qualify this as not cooperating / being opaque.

You want to hold the us to the same standard- was the us transparent with Japan about the nuclear bombs? Was Dupont transparent in Bhopal, were they held accountable? Was Smithfield, or any of the industrial pork industry transparent or held accountable?

Finally re : hong kong and the NBA, is Hong Kong the only market us businesses operate where protestors are brutally repressed? Is it the only one without full democracy? I don't recall people protesting in 1995 when it was a British colony and no more democratic than it is today. In fact, are we really that stupid as to think that the NBA has any power over China? Not apple, Google, car makers, banks, but a sports league is the big leverage the us has over China ? It's a ridiculous controversy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ And here was the key piece of misinformation from them that likely threw a tsunami of gasoline on the fire:

Jan. 14: WHO announces Chinese authorities have seen "no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus."

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Just want to point out that China has sent materials and doctors everywhere including the us. And more importantly they sent the genetic map of the virus to everyone worldwide in early January so that everyone could try and develop a vaccine. Pretty sure that last step is unprecedented,either way hard to qualify this as not cooperating / being opaque.

You want to hold the us to the same standard- was the us transparent with Japan about the nuclear bombs? Was Dupont transparent in Bhopal, were they held accountable? Was Smithfield, or any of the industrial pork industry transparent or held accountable?

Finally re : hong kong and the NBA, is Hong Kong the only market us businesses operate where protestors are brutally repressed? Is it the only one without full democracy? I don't recall people protesting in 1995 when it was a British colony and no more democratic than it is today. In fact, are we really that stupid as to think that the NBA has any power over China? Not apple, Google, car makers, banks, but a sports league is the big leverage the us has over China ? It's a ridiculous controversy
    They thought they was walking away from that Sunday morning wake-up call.

Uh, uh.

They're square with the house now. It's alright.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^ And here was the key piece of misinformation from them that likely threw a tsunami of gasoline on the fire:
    Precisely. & MSM does not touch it & never will.

Midst

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tu Quoque fallacy and leave China alone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, this post is fueled by some anger. There needs to be repercussions against their government for this, as I think it's basically a soft act of war. After the SARS outbreak happened in 2003 due to, just like in this case, their consumption of wild animals and wild animal parts as a "delicacy" or to get their s hard, they smartly shut down the wild animal trade only to cave into pressure some time later from those elites who get off on snorting Rhino tusk and eating bats. So strike one against the CCP. Then the same thing happens in this case, and their government did everything and anything to silence information about it, leading to countries not being able to effectively prepare. Strike 2 and 3. Yes, yes, Trump is a stick who didn't take it seriously, and his ass should be on the line for it, but China's lack of transparency is criminal.

And no, I'm not calling for any boots on the ground type , but some kind of worldwide stance to refuse to do business with China unless there's government reform (like China becoming a free democracy) and/or reparations to countries hit the hardest.

I know this is all a pipe dream, since once this crisis is over, multinational corporations will return to drink from that endless well of cheap labor that will maximize profits and shareholder return (and we know limped shareholders of these companies won't do in pressuring companies to act integrity), and us consumers will continue to love 65" 4K televisions for 399.00 (not preaching, I'm guilty as anyone of buying cheaper Made in China alternatives once in a while), but something needs to be done. I could understand if this was an unprecedented event, but SARS was a warning call China didn't heed. No "We didn't see it coming" excuses will fly. Then when it did come, they tried to cover it up.
    The "endless" supply is not that endless. Their rising living standards will raise their cost of labor, and is already doing so. The nexus of cheap manufacturing will shift elsewhere, and that trend will be accelerated by all the companies who realized how vulnerable their supply chains were.

that said, the world needs to hold China's feet to the fire over this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    still continuing your larping as some pro-commie shill.

This WAS China's fault. They didn't permanently close down the wild animal trade after SARS because Xi probably likes to take Rhino horn enemas and eat Sun bear himself. Then when this show hit in Wuhan, they actively suppressed information, resulting in other countries losing crucial days in preparation.

https://www.axios.com/timeline-the-e...l?stream=china

leave China alone
    a virus can come from anywhere lots of them come from africa (ebola, nipha, hiv)

depending on other countries to always shut down the virus at their territory is a stupid strategy besides being suicidal

a decent country would be ready for a pandemic regardless where it comes from. it could come from a meteorite for alm we know

only idiot countries get hung up on where the virus originated tbqh

yeah lets punish africa for aids

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    yup

Last week, Zhong Nanshan, one of China’s most highly regarded epidemiology experts and the leader of the National Health Commission’s task force on the epidemic, said officials had identified a coronavirus by Dec. 31 and took too long to publicly confirm human-to-human transmission. If action had been taken earlier, in December or even early January, “the number of sick would have been greatly reduced,” he said.

It now appears that, based on a speech by Mr. Xi published in a Communist Party magazine in February, he was leading the epidemic response when Wuhan went ahead with New Year celebrations despite the risk of wider infections. He was also leading the response when authorities let some five million people leave Wuhan without screening, and when they waited until Jan. 20 to announce the virus was spreading between humans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-it-...ps-11583508932

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The "endless" supply is not that endless. Their rising living standards will raise their cost of labor, and is already doing so. The nexus of cheap manufacturing will shift elsewhere, and that trend will be accelerated by all the companies who realized how vulnerable their supply chains were.

that said, the world needs to hold China's feet to the fire over this.
    But, Media ain't gonna permit it after a certain (Low) threshold is approached. Why?

Doesn't matter why, Media is just not going to permit it. "You can warm the attendant feet, but, you ain't going to make Kenny Roger's Roasters of 'em. No way. We have the con & we ain't giving it up!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Diego with the nukes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I'll give you a more detailed reply.

To be clear, I'm criticizing the Chinese government and am thankful for many of those Chinese researchers and doctors who tried to get the information out through Xi's great wall of suppression.

Researchers mapped the genome but the results weren't made public until a week after they mapped. That lost week was crucial. And THEN, despite that, the "official" word from their government on Jan. 14th was that there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission. Prior to that, they we're interrogating researchers and doctors who were posting information about the virus on Chinese social media sites. In addition to this, authorities ordered samples of the virus destroyed.

And let's not in' forget that bats carry about a billion coronavirus strains and they allowed the animal to be sold in their wet markets, obviously learning nothing from the 2003 SARS situation about the risks of eating wild animals. And it's not the poor eating these animals out of strict necessity. They're delicacies for elites.

All that other is neither here nor there right now. I'll make a comment about the NBA in that they don't really need the Chinese market. The American and European markets are big enough. What really spurred the NBA's bottom line over the past decade was huge tv contracts from US broadcasters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a virus can come from anywhere lots of them come from africa (ebola, nipha, hiv)

depending on other countries to always shut down the virus at their territory is a stupid strategy besides being suicidal

a decent country would be ready for a pandemic regardless where it comes from. it could come from a meteorite for alm we know

only idiot countries get hung up on where the virus originated tbqh

yeah lets punish africa for aids

Did Africans try to suppress information about AIDS? You're missing the point here. It's not about where the virus came from, it was the response of the people in charge of that "where" that is the issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did Africans try to suppress information about AIDS? You're missing the point here. It's not about where the virus came from, it was the response of the people in charge of that "where" that is the issue.
    meh any government responds in same way at first

I remember Americans said this is no big deal and laughed at the miserably dozen dead in January. other americans said UsA is “the most prepared country in the world” for a pandemic

some americans is even celebrated china getting the vorus saying this will be good for american economy

America has lied about this virus to its own citizens qnd the world as much or more than china

americans being mad at china while ignoring the fact that their own government lied to them and was soooo unprepared for this is a very bad look tbqh

its equivalent to criticizing the bad paint job on your neighbors house while your own house is burning down

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Companies should recognize they can't have all of their supplies coming from one backwards ass country that could shut down at any moment, they won't, but they should

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I remember Americans said this is no big deal and laughed at the miserably dozen dead in January. other americans said UsA is “the most prepared country in the world” for a pandemic

some americans is even celebrated china getting the vorus saying this will be good for american economy

America has lied about this virus to its own citizens qnd the world as much or more than china

americans being mad at china while ignoring the fact that their own government lied to them and was soooo unprepared for this is a very bad look tbqh

its equivalent to criticizing the bad paint job on your neighbors house while your own house is burning down
    No one is letting Trump off the hook for this. So that deflection doesn't work. It also doesn't work because the American government wasn't actively suppressing doctors and scientists who were calling Trump a moron for his dismissing of the virus. And the American people will collectively decide his fate in a few months. Will Xi face any such accountability? No.

No, it's the equivalent of telling my neighbors there's nothing outside when I clearly see a group of armed robbers approaching his door and then criticizing him for not owning a gun.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China’s playing a world domination game just as much as Trump is playing a keep the market going up game. Everything they do, including hiding the truth about the Wuhan until the virus couldn’t be suppressed any longer. Now there playing the Trump game “If you want help from us you better say nice things about me”. Now China’s trying to sell the myth that they didn’t start the virus.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    China’s playing a world domination game just as much as Trump is playing a keep the market going up game. Everything they do, including hiding the truth about the Wuhan until the virus couldn’t be suppressed any longer. Now there playing the Trump game “If want help you from us you better say nice things about me”. Now China’s trying to sell the myth that they didn’t start the virus.
    ...& Media will conduct support of that (myth).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

truth nukes!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup

in the end china makes the cheapest products in the fastest amount of time

only an idiot would buy more expensive or slower product tbqh

ill be buying chinese wonders for the foreseable future
    This, but also the quality based on manufacturing experience. We lost that lead back in the 1960s-70s. Would you want to buy a $2000 iPhone made in Huntsville (so Larry can get his double wide or big ol' tires for his truck), or a $800 one made in Shenzhen by Foxconn (even though they had suicide nets and a huge dorm for workers)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's another thing the China Defense Force doesn't get. Did Trump lie and downplay the virus to try and keep the economy strong? Yes. Our government "lied" to us, they always lie to us. But the difference is Americans can access ANY alternative opinion they want and come to their own conclusions about the truth. Not so in China where everything is filtered through state media. The issue here is we have about half the country who essentially sees Trump as a messiah and will not break with him because they love "owning the libs." But as sneaky and slimy as the Trump administration is, they aren't shutting down opposing opinion because that would violate the 1st amendment. Best they can do is scream "Fake News," and hope the base believes it, which they will because "the base" unconditionally loves that man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This, but also the quality based on manufacturing experience. We lost that lead back in the 1960s-70s. Would you want to buy a $2000 iPhone made in Huntsville (so Larry can get his double wide or big ol' tires for his truck), or a $800 one made in Shenzhen by Foxconn (even though they had suicide nets and a huge dorm for workers)
    Maybe we need to take a small convenience hit for awhile to bring back American manufacturing. Do really need the new iPhone every year? Do you we really need an 8K television? Do we really need smart speakers and internet-of-things devices? These toys don't really solve any problems aside from maybe cutting down some banal everyday activity like turning off the lights by a few seconds. You can get the in' Clapper from 1985 and achieve the same result.

And the 2000 American made smartphone is doable if people buy a new phone every two years instead of every year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know that Trump necessarily lied, I’m more inclined to think he’s the stupidest dumb president we ever had and actually believed what he was saying. Experts at the presser we’re correcting him, face palming him.

Thread Information