Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hater is a clown, who's too worried about being right about the spread of the virus, so he can stroke his e- .

OP is right. The only way to change the s is to hit their pockets, everything else is futile. You can't just keep shutting down the planet, while the rest of the world scrambles for months trying to come up with a vaccine and watches the bodies pile up.
    Sanctions? Like the trade war?

Hope it works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably. But what if they don't stop?
    Shake our fists even higher

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We do have a habit of grinding up cows for cows to eat before we grind up cows to eat cows.
    That was mainly a problem in the UK.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Instead of mad cow the Chinese have bat crazy disease

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hater is a clown, who's too worried about being right about the spread of the virus, so he can stroke his e- .

OP is right. The only way to change the s is to hit their pockets, everything else is futile. You can't just keep shutting down the planet, while the rest of the world scrambles for months trying to come up with a vaccine and watches the bodies pile up.
    At some point it's not going to be a momentary shutdown due to an overblown flu. It's going to be a mass extinction event. It has already happened many times throughout our history, with diseases wayyyyy ing worse than Corona Time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure we still do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably. But what if they don't stop?
    The capture and selling for bats intended for consumption should be treated the same as the manufacture of a bioweapon. Just like the world sanctions your "Axis of Evil" countries when it's feared they may be developing nuclear weapons, you sanction, limit trade, etc with countries who allow these practices to exist.

Will this happen? Of course not. The entire world has painted themselves in a corner by centralizing manufacturing of all of the cheap crap we're addicting to buying. Even Lord Trump was apparently kid-gloving Xi to "keep trade open." So, like always, zero accountability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The capture and selling for bats intended for consumption should be treated the same as the manufacture of a bioweapon. Just like the world sanctions your "Axis of Evil" countries when it's feared they may be developing nuclear weapons, you sanction, limit trade, etc with countries who allow these practices to exist.

Will this happen? Of course not. The entire world has painted themselves in a corner by centralizing manufacturing of all of the cheap crap we're addicting to buying. Even Lord Trump was apparently kid-gloving Xi to "keep trade open." So, like always, zero accountability.
    There's no other way to go about this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty sure we still do it.
    There's only been like 4 cows with BSE in the past 15 years, so we're not doing it with any troubling frequency. And the practice is illegal, but probably doesn't stop a couple of heel farmers somewhere from sneaking in the practice. Eating bats and snorting Buffalo penis is encouraged in China.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's only been like 4 cows with BSE in the past 15 years, so we're not doing it with any troubling frequency. And the practice is illegal, but probably doesn't stop a couple of heel farmers somewhere from sneaking in the practice. Eating bats and snorting Buffalo penis is encouraged in China.
    By the government? I guess I have to believe that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no other way to go about this?
    Like what? Are we going to shift back to "we should have been prepared!" let China eat what they want. Sure, we should've been prepared, but you can never predict how much preparedness you need. No country on Earth would have the resources to deal with a pandemic of this size that had something like a firm 10 percent mortality rate.

So after this, we prepare for a future pandemic of this magnitude, and then a Chinese elite eats a camel for lunch and launches MERS2-2030 on the world.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the government? I guess I have to believe that.
    Yes, the government first closed up the wet markets in 03 only to reopen them sometime later due to pressure from the Bat and Pangolin industry. I don't think it was "pressure" at all, but more like there's many government elites who need their daily rhino horn fix.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like what? Are we going to shift back to "we should have been prepared!" let China eat what they want. Sure, we should've been prepared, but you can never predict how much preparedness you need. No country on Earth would have the resources to deal with a pandemic of this size that had something like a firm 10 percent mortality rate.

So after this, we prepare for a future pandemic of this magnitude, and then Chinese elite eats a camel for lunch and launched MERS2-2030 on the world.
    Probably easier than changing the culture of 1.5 billion people from an ocean away. Hopefully they can do it. Don't know how to coerce them successfully.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the government first closed up the wet markets in 03 only to reopen them sometime later due to pressure from the Bat and Pangolin industry. I don't think it was "pressure" at all, but more like there's many government elites who need their daily rhino horn fix.

Did they promote the markets or just allow them again? I don't know anything beyond the basics here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably easier than changing the culture of 1.5 billion people from an ocean away.
    Eating wild animals isn't mainstream Chinese culture. It's culture for the elites and powerful. And yes, if a cultural practice proves deadly for other people in the world who don't take part in that culture, that "culture" should be changed. Why is this is a controversial idea?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did they promote the markets or just allow them again? I don't know anything beyond the basics here.
    Allowing is promoting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BSE isn’t airborne. romaine lettuce is more of a threat than cows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Allowing is promoting.
    Abortion is allowed in the US. Trump promotes it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BSE isn’t airborne. romaine lettuce is more of a threat than cows.
    True enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's also what Chump doesn't get. Even if we had 6 million ventilators and beds per person, even if we were perfectly prepared to handle this epidemic, people would still die and get sick because this is a "novel" in' virus. China basically unleashed another seasonal respiratory disease the world didn't need nor ask for. But yeah, we should just let a Chinese billionaire enjoy bat soup at our peril because it's his culture .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's also what Chump doesn't get. Even if we had 6 million ventilators and beds per person, even if we were perfectly prepared to handle this epidemic, people would still die and get sick because this is a "novel" in' virus. China basically unleashed another seasonal respiratory disease the world didn't need nor ask for. But yeah, we should just let a Chinese billionaire enjoy bat soup at our peril because it's his culture .
    I'm not crying about Chinese culture. I'm saying it's probably difficult to change.

Do you get that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not crying about Chinese culture. I'm saying it's probably difficult to change.

Do you "get" that?
    But I'm saying it's not the cultural practice of 1.5 billion people. It evolved from poor Chinese people eating wild animals out of necessity into what is basically a luxury trade, the culinary equivalent of the fur trade. Meaning you don't have to change the lifestyle of 1.5 billion people, but those elite few. Haven't we changed mainstream opinion on the fur trade in relatively short time? In the 80s, they were all the rage. Now you're a pariah if you wear an animal fur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can move the entire iPhone production to Vietnam, but the rich folks in China will still eat bats and travel...

Thread Information