Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, this post is fueled by some anger. There needs to be repercussions against their government for this, as I think it's basically a soft act of war. After the SARS outbreak happened in 2003 due to, just like in this case, their consumption of wild animals and wild animal parts as a "delicacy" or to get their s hard, they smartly shut down the wild animal trade only to cave into pressure some time later from those elites who get off on snorting Rhino tusk and eating bats. So strike one against the CCP. Then the same thing happens in this case, and their government did everything and anything to silence information about it, leading to countries not being able to effectively prepare. Strike 2 and 3. Yes, yes, Trump is a stick who didn't take it seriously, and his ass should be on the line for it, but China's lack of transparency is criminal.

And no, I'm not calling for any boots on the ground type , but some kind of worldwide stance to refuse to do business with China unless there's government reform (like China becoming a free democracy) and/or reparations to countries hit the hardest.

I know this is all a pipe dream, since once this crisis is over, multinational corporations will return to drink from that endless well of cheap labor that will maximize profits and shareholder return (and we know limped shareholders of these companies won't do in pressuring companies to act integrity), and us consumers will continue to love 65" 4K televisions for 399.00 (not preaching, I'm guilty as anyone of buying cheaper Made in China alternatives once in a while), but something needs to be done. I could understand if this was an unprecedented event, but SARS was a warning call China didn't heed. No "We didn't see it coming" excuses will fly. Then when it did come, they tried to cover it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    interesting idea, but it will never happen. We all depend on Chinese exports too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    interesting idea, but it will never happen. We all depend on Chinese exports too much.
    Yeah, the NBA's groveling to them was pathetic during the Hong Kong independence situation. Shows you how many of our huge industries, from sports to electronics, are beholden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's difficult, mid. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but it's difficult. One could say we could deal with this like we do with nuclear proliferation: economic penalties until they're in compliance, and have regular international inspections.

However, flip it around. Say the next one comes out of the US, because re A has a bat fetish. Would those sanctions and inspections fly here? Yeah, that's a no. And so, it's complicated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can send some clean bats

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can send some clean bats
    Im not touchin them.

-Ace Ventura

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's difficult, mid. Doesn't mean you're wrong, but it's difficult. One could say we could deal with this like we do with nuclear proliferation: economic penalties until they're in compliance, and have regular international inspections.

However, flip it around. Say the next one comes out of the US, because re A has a bat fetish. Would those sanctions and inspections fly here? Yeah, that's a no. And so, it's complicated.
    I'm more blaming China for their suppression of information here. I would think our government won't suppress information about a possible patient zero and/or local outbreak of some new virus strain. And the fact the morons didn't learn from the SARS situation further makes the case. And yeah, I apply those same standards to us. If our government acts badly, I would hope the rest of the world would take them to task in some way or we the people would take them to task. Ex. Climate Change. Trump pulled out of how many treaties? I wouldn't mind the rest of the world standing up and boycotting American products and such until he reenters. But much the same way many are beholden to China, many are beholden to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm more blaming China for their suppression of information here. I would think our government won't suppress information about a possible patient zero and/or local outbreak of some new virus strain. And the fact the morons didn't learn from the SARS situation further makes the case. And yeah, I apply those same standards to us. If our government acts badly, I would hope the rest of the world would take them to task in some way or we the people would take them to task. Ex. Climate Change. Trump pulled out of how many treaties? I wouldn't mind the rest of the world standing up and boycotting American products and such until he reenters. But much the same way many are beholden to China, many are beholden to us.
    I get where you're coming from, and I'm not defending anybody. Just saying that sometimes there's more to it than what is apparent. ie: If Trump really wanted his tariffs to bite, he wouldn't have exempted Apple products from it. But he did, because he understand there are other political repercussions.

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think China is in big trouble and they know it. How Iran reacts to China will be telling of what to expect since Iran has been hit hard by the virus and historically does whatever China tells them to do. If Iran stands up to China then so will MANY countries.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    nothin gonna happen to china

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd biggest holder of US Treasurys too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd biggest holder of US Treasurys too.
    Nothing wrong with betting on America. They gonna get paidd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think China is in big trouble and they know it. How Iran reacts to China will be telling of what to expect since Iran has been hit hard by the virus and historically does whatever China tells them to do. If Iran stands up to China then so will MANY countries.
    China playing nice-nice and sending test kits and supplies to overwhelmed countries around the world. Trying to get ahead of the anger

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China playing nice-nice and sending test kits and supplies to overwhelmed countries around the world. Trying to get ahead of the anger
    I don't think it matters at this point tbh.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tactically nuke wet markets ask questions later

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Want to punish China?

How about punishing at home first?

"In response to Ebola outbreaks in 2014, President Barack Obama launched the Global Health Security Agenda, directing over $1 billion to global disease prevention and response.

President George W. Bush before him
    echoed Gates’ talking points—

the importance of detecting outbreaks, stockpiling vaccines, and emergency planning—

in announcing
    $7.1 billion plans on pandemic influenza preparations.

Exactly the threat we face today in Covid-19.

Instead of bolstering or even maintaining these initiatives,

Trump disbanded the National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense.

Even before meeting with Gates, Trump declined to renew
    $600 million of funding to the Center for Disease Control to prevent global pandemics,

which had been approved under Obama.

The Trump administration also pushed out homeland security advisor Tom Bossert,

who
    reportedly called for “comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics.”

https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-the-dangers-of-relying-on-philanthropists-during-pandemics/?bxid=5bd6795524c17c1048022fcc&cndid=43758549&utm_ brand=pol&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=thematic_ballot_03252020&utm_mediu m=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=Thematic_Ballot_Sub scribers

and you Macho Men want to punish China that holds the balls of American mfrs in its hands? nuke Chinese wet markets?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Want to punish China?

How about punishing at home first?

"In response to Ebola outbreaks in 2014, President Barack Obama launched the Global Health Security Agenda, directing over $1 billion to global disease prevention and response.

President George W. Bush before him
    echoed Gates’ talking points—

the importance of detecting outbreaks, stockpiling vaccines, and emergency planning—

in announcing
    $7.1 billion plans on pandemic influenza preparations.

Exactly the threat we face today in Covid-19.

Instead of bolstering or even maintaining these initiatives,

Trump disbanded the National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense.

Even before meeting with Gates, Trump declined to renew
    $600 million of funding to the Center for Disease Control to prevent global pandemics,

which had been approved under Obama.

The Trump administration also pushed out homeland security advisor Tom Bossert,

who
    reportedly called for “comprehensive biodefense strategy against pandemics.”

https://www.wired.com/story/opinion-the-dangers-of-relying-on-philanthropists-during-pandemics/?bxid=5bd6795524c17c1048022fcc&cndid=43758549&utm_ brand=pol&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=thematic_ballot_03252020&utm_mediu m=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=Thematic_Ballot_Sub scribers

and you Macho Men want to punish China that holds the balls of American mfrs in its hands? nuke Chinese wet markets?

yup- this was going to be my point also-

ill just add

what about all the intel info that trump has buried?
    what about the mueller cover up?
    what about the treason by the entire GOP led by trump?

china is the LEAST of our ing problems once all of trumps treason and criminality is unearthed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yup

in the end china makes the cheapest products in the fastest amount of time

only an idiot would buy more expensive or slower product tbqh

ill be buying chinese wonders for the foreseable future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    china sent millions of medical equipment and chinese teams to help Iran

Iran-Chinese alliance will be stronger after this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one moe note it was not chinas fault we were caught with our pants down tbqh

we had 1% of the necessary equipment ready

our healthcare system is a bloated mess that is not ready for a pandemic

etc,etc

this is our fault

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think China will pay a big and permanent price economically. Many corporations were already in the process of diversifying their supply/manufacturing chains due to the tariff war. This crisis really puts a cherry on the top to hammer home that it is folly to be fully dependent on China. US consumers shouldn't have to worry about their cheap products getting more expensive because corporations will find plenty of poor souls around the world to take advantage of. It's not like they are going to bring it all back to the USA.

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    china sent millions of medical equipment and chinese teams to help Iran

Iran-Chinese alliance will be stronger after this
    China's lack of competence and transparency is the only reason Iran (and the rest of the world) has the virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think China will pay a big and permanent price economically. Many corporations were already in the process of diversifying their supply/manufacturing chains due to the tariff war. This crisis really puts a cherry on the top to hammer home that it is folly to be fully dependent on China. US consumers shouldn't have to worry about their cheap products getting more expensive because corporations will find plenty of poor souls around the world to take advantage of. It's not like they are going to bring it all back to the USA.
    US corporations maybe but International corporations will always pick the cheaper product

China will evlipse any US production in the real world scenario.

its similar to US shale vs OPEC oil. US has to babysit and prop the industry but it will never really compete with its compe ors and will be extremely weak and a money pit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First step close or severely sanction US markets and cut off all foreign aid to any countries continuing to tolerate practices like wet markets that risk fostering pandemics. Encourage G7 partners to take the same steps

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    First step close or severely sanction US markets and cut off all foreign aid to any countries continuing to tolerate practices like wet markets that risk fostering pandemics. Encourage G7 partners to take the same steps
    The old man was supposed to have cut off aid to these countries way back just after Inauguration Day. It was a ruse. If he did 1/2 of 'em I'd be amazed. Probably less than 1/4, if that.

Thread Information