Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Bloomberg News

GM’s Ventilator Effort Goes Haywire With Trump Turning on Barra

General Motors Co. and ventilator maker Ventec Life Systems Inc. had much of what they needed in place to ramp up production of breathing machines that would help coronavirus patients survive and recover. They were just waiting on the Trump administration to place orders and cut checks.

And then, just as frustration was mounting within the largest U.S. carmaker and its partner over the federal government finalizing the details, President Donald Trump went on the attack Friday. He accused the company of moving too slowly and charging too much, specifically criticizing Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra.

The Twitter missives are a remarkable turnabout from the night before, when Trump told Fox News he wasn’t invoking the Cold War-era Defense Production Act to compel manufacturers to make ventilators because companies including GM had already stepped up.

He called on GM to open an assembly plant in Ohio that it no longer owns and make the devices there immediately.

GM was growing exasperated with the Trump administration because after more than a week of around-the-clock work, the carmaker and Ventec had turned an auto-parts plant in Kokomo, Indiana, into a near-ready ventilator-assembly facility. Suppliers are secured for the 700 components needed to make the machines. The automaker has even started hiring because the 300 workers on staff won’t be enough to handle the proposed volume, a person familiar with the situation said.

GM has been moving ahead as if production will begin in April. Ventec and the automaker are planning to build 200,000 ventilators and begin shipping them by the end of next month, the people said.

The Detroit-based carmaker will be a contract manufacturer for Ventec as part of a venture the two companies announced March 20.

Ventilator supply is a vital issue in the struggle to treat people unable to breathe properly because of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. Hospitals across the U.S. are running short on the machines already, and many areas of the country are expected to see cases continue to grow rapidly.

The great negotiator killing more people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you don't reject the stimulus check you receive, you're complicit in anything Trump does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From Bloomberg News

GM’s Ventilator Effort Goes Haywire With Trump Turning on Barra

General Motors Co. and ventilator maker Ventec Life Systems Inc. had much of what they needed in place to ramp up production of breathing machines that would help coronavirus patients survive and recover. They were just waiting on the Trump administration to place orders and cut checks.

And then, just as frustration was mounting within the largest U.S. carmaker and its partner over the federal government finalizing the details, President Donald Trump went on the attack Friday. He accused the company of moving too slowly and charging too much, specifically criticizing Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra.

The Twitter missives are a remarkable turnabout from the night before, when Trump told Fox News he wasn’t invoking the Cold War-era Defense Production Act to compel manufacturers to make ventilators because companies including GM had already stepped up.

He called on GM to open an assembly plant in Ohio that it no longer owns and make the devices there immediately.

GM was growing exasperated with the Trump administration because after more than a week of around-the-clock work, the carmaker and Ventec had turned an auto-parts plant in Kokomo, Indiana, into a near-ready ventilator-assembly facility. Suppliers are secured for the 700 components needed to make the machines. The automaker has even started hiring because the 300 workers on staff won’t be enough to handle the proposed volume, a person familiar with the situation said.

GM has been moving ahead as if production will begin in April. Ventec and the automaker are planning to build 200,000 ventilators and begin shipping them by the end of next month, the people said.

The Detroit-based carmaker will be a contract manufacturer for Ventec as part of a venture the two companies announced March 20.

Ventilator supply is a vital issue in the struggle to treat people unable to breathe properly because of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. Hospitals across the U.S. are running short on the machines already, and many areas of the country are expected to see cases continue to grow rapidly.

The great negotiator killing more people.
    As many taxpayer bailouts of these mother ers received they are beholden to the government. They have no right to . McDonald's is hiring I understand.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trumps panepedemic plan, kill people’s as quickly as possible and hope the market recovers by election time.
    That seems to be the case. He is pressing for midwest states that haven't been hit hard yet to re-open. Irresponsible the extreme.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [personal attack]
    No-take McGurk strikes again.

[indifference]

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As many taxpayer bailouts of these mother ers received they are beholden to the government. They have no right to . McDonald's is hiring I understand.
    Doesn't look like you read the article tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't look like you read the article tbh.
    But it does look like you're following me around like a little trying to get your fix.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it does look like you're following me around like a little trying to get your fix.
    Looks like you're itching to make every single thread personal with many posters.

Like a little .

Trying to get your fix.

Is that what you're doing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amyone else bothered by Trump withholding help from Washington, Minnesota and New York because their governors don't kiss his ass?

Like we do now, I guess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump and company actively took apart the team that was designed to provide a national response to pandemics.

Even within the agencies and systems that remained,

disaster response of all kinds—and pandemic response in particular—was devalued, ignored, and allowed to simply disappear.

there appears to be no reason at all why the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) stopped planning for pandemics.

For more than a decade, DHS held an annual simulation of how a pandemic would affect America,

looking for critical holes in the nation’s infrastructure and

making proposals to shore up weaknesses in both health care and transportation.

But as soon as Trump took office, this planning simply … stopped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only one doing any real ing is Trump. They did everything they were asked to do.

The piece of you keep carrying water for is stepping on his , and if the delays cost lives, you will be defending negligent homicide.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amyone else bothered by Trump withholding help from Washington, Minnesota and New York because their governors don't kiss his ass?

Like we do now, I guess.
    No I'm not bothered at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Like we do now, I guess.
    ing boggles the mind, but is consistent with everything else he does. He only really views his voters as worth worrying about. Reminds me of the tax cuts, targeted in such a way as to make blue states pay a higher share to partially offset them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only one doing any real ing is Trump. They did everything they were asked to do.

The piece of you keep carrying water for is stepping on his , and if the delays cost lives, you will be defending negligent homicide.
    Oh now lives matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kiss Donnies ring, or your voters will die doesn't bother you. Noted. DMC moral authority plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh now lives matter.
    So tell us in your wisdom, how should aid be being parceled out? Be specific. Have a take. Or fold. Like Derp. and Cosmored.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Like we do now, I guess.
    It may not be obvious now, it will come out later that Trump will have told his Exec to punish blue states by denying them help

eg, we know FL got everything Dr Doom asked for, but MA went begging, ventilators denied to NY, etc, etc.

im- ing-peachable

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    So tell us in your wisdom, how should aid be being parceled out? Be specific. Have a take. Or fold. Like Derp. and Cosmored.
    ...or, he could put you on his [Ignore List] like you lodged me when I put you on the spot, one time too many.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It may not be obvious now, it will come out later that Trump will have told his Exec to punish blue states by denying them help

eg, we know FL got everything Dr Doom asked for, but MA went begging, ventilators denied to NY, etc, etc.

im- ing-peachable
    True, even if it isn't true...like this, bouts,,,"A source is telling us to tonight...what is your reporting Manu?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shush you. Grown folks talkin.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gov. Cuomo warned that the state needs 30,000 ventilators immediately--and Trump has only sent 400.

Here’s what Trump said in response:

“I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators.

You go into major hospitals sometimes,

and they’ll have two ventilators.
    evidence?

And now all of a sudden they’re saying,

‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’...

the end result is we gotta get back to work.”

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Like we do now, I guess.
    What a new low to have a president trying to kill people in states he doesn't like.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Gov. Cuomo warned that the state needs 30,000 ventilators immediately--and Trump has only sent 400.

Here’s what Trump said in response:

“I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators.

You go into major hospitals sometimes,

and they’ll have two ventilators.
    evidence?

And now all of a sudden they’re saying,

‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’...

the end result is we gotta get back to work.”

Ain't nobody stopping Cuomo from hunting them. There is no secret to it, nor stash where they're hidden. The fact is other states who don't need all theirs are hoarding & hiding theirs. "Shush, Bill, we may need these now, or, in the future. Just shut the up. Cuomo is probably hiding his true count, just to get some extras at our expense!"

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ain't nobody stopping Cuomo from hunting them. There is no secret to it, nor stash where they're hidden. The fact is other states who don't need all theirs are hoarding & hiding theirs. "Shush, Bill, we may need these now, or, in the future. Just shut the up. Cuomo is probably hiding his true count, just to get some extras at our expense!"
    Every state is going to need all of theirs.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Every state is going to need all of theirs.
    ...& or, more beach space.

tee, hee.

Thread Information