Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see some foundation being poured for governmental collapse/upheaval.
    I'm interested. What do you see changing?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only if Congress can override a veto, it would seem.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm interested. What do you see changing?
    The mechanisms of martial law are being placed....mobilization of military to civilian affairs, the continued alpha behavior of potus and his apparent inability to be wrong, strong arming state governors and, I wouldn't dismiss the posibilty of attempting to postpone the election due to the crisis which appears to be fueled in part by design, arrogance, incompetence or all 3.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm wrong alot. Hope this is the case now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    moot

the Repug Senate trash Trash's trial, they certainly won't vote to overturn Trash's EO's

and if they vote against Trash, Trash's personal defense lawyer anti-Cons utional Unitary Executive Barr would run it to SCOTUS, where oligarchy's politicized 5 s LOVE to trash stare decisis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The mechanisms of martial law are being placed....mobilization of military to civilian affairs, the continued alpha behavior of potus and his apparent inability to be wrong, strong arming state governors and, I wouldn't dismiss the posibilty of postponing the election due to the crisis which appears to be fueled in part by design, arrogance, incompetence or all 3.
    Don't states control the timing and execution of elections?

I could see a scenario where DJT convinces red states to postpone elections but blue states don't. DJT would lose the election, but neither he nor red states would acknowledge the legitimacy of the outcome. In that scenario, a MAGA putsch followed by martial law isn't hard to imagine.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

I could see a scenario where DJT convinces red states to postpone elections but blue states don't. DJT would lose the election, but neither he nor red states would acknowledge the legitimacy of the outcome. In that scenario, a MAGA putsch followed by martial law isn't hard to imagine.
    Sadly, I agree. Hard to believe we can even entertain these scenarios now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Federal elections and swearing in date are defined by the Consi ution.

that ugly runt Scalia stopped the FL counting in 2000 because "no time" before 20 Jan.

The asshole ruled that swearing in any Pres on 20 Jan was more important that swearing in the wrong guy.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 03-29-2020 at 11:11 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Federal elections and swearing in date are defined by the Consi ution.

that ugly runt Scalia stopped the FL counting in 2000 because "no time" before 20 Jan.

The asshole ruled that swearing in any Pres 20 was more important the swearing the wrong guy.
    You're right about the timing of federal elections of course, but what I meant was that DJT has no power AFAIK to call elections off.

There would have to be something on the order of insurrection, military invasion, or the pervasive collapse of civil authority in the states to predicate martial law and the cancellation of elections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (Even during the Civil War, elections weren't cancelled.)

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm wrong alot. Hope this is the case now.
    You aren't.

The possibility of such things has always been non-zero, but given the increasingly authoritarian arc of what he has done, that needle has moved appreciably. Remote, but... disturbingly plausible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right about the timing of federal elections of course, but what I meant was that DJT has no power AFAIK to call elections off.

There would have to be something on the order of insurrection, military invasion, or the pervasive collapse of civil authority in the states to predicate martial law and the cancellation of elections.
    The thing is, I remember seeing somewhere that if the election is delayed... the Speaker automatically assumes office of president. This is the only reason I would doubt the election would be put off, even by Trump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump demands appreciation from governors for coronavirus response

WASHINGTON — President Trump used his daily coronavirus briefing to attack Democratic governors who in his estimation had shown insufficient gra ude for his administration’s response to the pandemic.

“I want them to be appreciative,” Trump said, arguing that failing to show appreciation was insulting not just to him but to the Army Corps of Engineers, which has been part of the federal response to the pandemic.

The president said he has told Vice President Mike Pence not to call governors who haven’t shown proper deference to his administration. “They don’t treat you right, I don’t call,” Trump said, in a recurrence of his characteristic sensitivity to slights that he has recently been holding in check. He has, for example, been quick to praise Gavin Newsom of California and Andrew Cuomo of New York, invariably pointing out that they have in turn praised him.

Trump singled out two governors for scorn: Jay Inslee of Washington state, where the virus first gained a foothold in the United States, and Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, a state which has recently seen an increase of coronavirus infections, especially in the vicinity of Detroit.
    https://news.yahoo.com/trump-demands...233142697.html

... keep attacking the governor of a state asking for help in a disaster...

Michigan vote totals, 2016

Republican Donald Trump Mike Pence 2,279,543 47.50%
    Democratic Hillary Clinton Tim Kaine 2,268,839 47.27%

10,704 vote differential. about 0.2% of total votes cast.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The thing is, I remember seeing somewhere that if the election is delayed... the Speaker automatically assumes office of president. This is the only reason I would doubt the election would be put off, even by Trump.
    He doesn't want to put it off, but, he does want to keep Cuomo out of it & Sanders in it for as long as possible.

Sanders is the immediate key...he has to remain fast in the ranks, gumming up the works, delaying the inevitable with fervent hopes THAT ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN:::Biden suffers a mental breakdown. Biden suffers a stroke. Biden suffers a coronary. Biden suffers Corona...then Sanders can claim the spot...provided he ain't got Cuomo up his ass because Corona quit.

Cuomo is ruled by Corona. He can't speak of Presidential aspirations as long as Corona is murdering & maiming Americans. He can act Presidential as he does at Presser, but, he can't speak the words.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Trump demands appreciation from governors for coronavirus response

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-demands...233142697.html

... keep attacking the governor of a state asking for help in a disaster...

Michigan vote totals, 2016

Republican Donald Trump Mike Pence 2,279,543 47.50%
    Democratic Hillary Clinton Tim Kaine 2,268,839 47.27%

10,704 vote differential. about 0.2% of total votes cast.
    + Stein took more votes than Trump's margin there!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't want to put it off, but, he does want to keep Cuomo out of it & Sanders in it for as long as possible.

Sanders is the immediate key...he has to remain fast in the ranks, gumming up the works, delaying the inevitable with fervent hopes THAT ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN:::Biden suffers a mental breakdown. Biden suffers a stroke. Biden suffers a coronary. Biden suffers Corona...then Sanders can claim the spot...provided he ain't got Cuomo up his ass because Corona quit.

Cuomo is ruled by Corona. He can't speak of Presidential aspirations as long as Corona is murdering & maiming Americans. He can act Presidential as he does at Presser, but, he can't speak the words.
    Cuomo is scoring major presidential points, looking more presidential than Trump at every turn. Biden or Sanders will be too old to run in 2024.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Cuomo is scoring major presidential points, looking more presidential than Trump at every turn. Biden or Sanders will be too old to run in 2024.
    But Cuomo is ruled by Corona, more so than even Trump. Cuomo is trapped. Trump is just cornered.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Orangegutan

between calls to Arod and Jlo and worrying about Megan Markle, does he have time for the virus handling?

this fat has finally lost his damn mind

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Never grows old:::

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Orangegutan

between calls to Arod and Jlo and worrying about Megan Markle, does he have time for the virus handling?

this fat has finally lost his damn mind
    wow....

I guess we know what he is spending his time on. It isn't his ing job, that's for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Cuomo is ruled by Corona, more so than even Trump. Cuomo is trapped. Trump is just cornered.
    Trump is ing up, continually, in just about every way possible. Attacking the Michigan governor... that is pretty much par for the course. Demanding people kiss his ass to get help in the middle of a disaster like this, will make for some slam dunk campaign ads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, good point.

Easily solved, though. Get rid of the Speaker of the House. The MAGA army would happy to do it for the great man. Smooth sailing after that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump is ing up, continually, in just about every way possible. Attacking the Michigan governor... that is pretty much par for the course. Demanding people kiss his ass to get help in the middle of a disaster like this, will make for some slam dunk campaign ads.
    Thread has a point about Cuomo. He dithered, and NYC is paying the price.

I have yet to meet a NYer who has nice things to say about Andrew Cuomo, have you met any?

Thread Information