Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The good days are gone should have enjoyed the last 18 years as it will probably take that long to build another great team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pop was right about trump’s failed response to covid
    Bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of countries failed to stop covid. The ones that did well are being tracked, plus they have experience. US going to has probably little to do with Trump per se. More to do with the privatiation of medical and poor working conditions for a first world country.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are just moving the goal post, which is fine, then all arguements for coaches go out the window. Players are more imporant than coaches. They are harder to replace, hence why teams coach hop in the hopes they keep their star player happy with success. Usually it does not work. Pop kept that team motivated. We got backdoor sweept in 2012. We had that brutal loss in the finals in 2013. TD was old, he was being asked about retirement. Parker's prime had ended. To go through 82 more games and keep that motivation up, is the coach. His game prep for Portland, Thunder, and Heat were terrific. He played Lebron differently in 2014 compared to 2014. He out coached Spoelstra.

Diaw played some of his best ball for the Spurs. He was a buyout from the Bobcats. Mills was not in the rotation in 2013. Splitter in 2013 had a terrible finals series and Spurs reward him with that nice contract. Pop has always played his players to their strength. That team had passes all around the clock.

If Pop retires, if you think Timmy or Becky, or some other fired coach like Fizdale is going to turn this team around, then your living in a different world.
    Not at all. In the "player empowerment"/ genized style era, coaching is out the window. It had some importance before, but never to the extent it was portrayed with in cases like this.

"Pop kept the team motivated", based on what? The only way they were able to do what they did, was self motivation. Particularly Duncan, playing through pain, changing his body and game.

Tell me, what was "his game prep"? And if it's so vital, then why has he constantly lost series in the past decade where his team was favored and leading?

That team, was the deepest/highest IQ/most motivated team I've ever seen and that's primarily why they won.

No coach is turning this team around. I don't know why you apologists keep mentioning that. That doesn't diminish the terrible coaching job he's done though and let's not forget who the president of basketball operations is.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pops biggest strength over his Spurs career are off the court.
    Creating a family type, safe, secure, comfortable atmosphere of genuinely caring for most players. Just because NBA players are pampered millionaires, and in the most all players cases MULTI millionaires, that does not mean their life is carefree. The money and all it involves can lead to very stressful situations. Users, without a doubt gang type losers trying to extort/intimidate. Tight pussy with ill intent throwing itself in your face. Gambling forces. Ones own gambling weakness (tons of players). Going from city to city every week in itself can do a number on a lot of people. (Others love it).

While some would say "GREAT, livin the life" it obviously can lead to complications too.
    Many of the players are still connected to their original 'hoods by friendly terms or by coercion.
    Pops regular routine of buying everyone dinner and just flat rapping was a great idea. Who knows how much this helped keep the Big 3 and company together.

But lets keep that in perspective too. Duncan was said to be a "Yes your fam can ride with us on the team plane" away from going to Orlando.
    I couldn't have said this any better.

Thread Information