Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Almost everyone has had their priorities rearranged in the past two weeks. Brought into sharp focus. Learned abruptly what is important and what can take a backseat.

Everyone except, apparently, Roger Goodell.

Commissioner Tone Deaf now has turned into Dictator Obtuse. In announcing that the 2020 NFL season would be cancelled without any consideration of a decrease in COVID-19 activity over the next several months, Goodell also sent a memo warning teams not to criticize his decision.

"Twenty-five guaranteed ringless seasons and an automatic six-game suspension for your best or highest-performing player," said Goodell.

As it has looked increasingly likely that the suspended 2019-20 NBA season will not resume anytime soon, this sudden cancellation of the upcoming NFL season at last brings to fruition the "nuclear winter of sports" that sportscasters and fans alike feared during the 2011 lockouts experienced by each sport, but that were ultimately resolved in time to save those respective seasons.

The NCAA basketball tournament was recently cancelled, and it does not look like we shall see Major League Baseball action anytime soon, as spring trainings have been cancelled and the COVID-19 pandemic has put Opening Day on hold indefinitely. The NHL has also been shut down for the foreseeable future. After this decision by Goodell, it is likely that the NCAA will put the college football season on hold as well, leaving an ultimate sporting "nuclear winter" behind.

On a brighter note, this lack of sporting activity in 2020 and possibly beyond may lead to a reduction in post-defeat sorrow drinking, binge eating and temper tantrums. Conversely, a mega-fold increase in sexual activity, general happiness, and weight loss for the general population of long-term sports fans is expected. Also, a slight redistribution in wealth, as the recently-exploding salary caps of the major professional sports leagues will certainly take a plunge in the near future due to this large-scale cease in sporting events.

Source:

Link - Sportsfans Chronicle

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    worthless

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    tl;dr

OP is a got

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    What do yall say? The NFL season will be able to start on schedule. Yes or no?

If not, do you think they will be able to salvage the season somehow or will it be a lost year?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    What do yall say? The NFL season will be able to start on schedule. Yes or no?

If not, do you think they will be able to salvage the season somehow or will it be a lost year?
    they're trying really hard to pretend everything will be fine... but i cant see that happening. my best guess is they'll have to shorten the season

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    The problem I'm seeing is games being played in the cold. Those stadiums could be incubators for COVID19.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The problem I'm seeing is games being played in the cold. Those stadiums could be incubators for COVID19.
    But then again, those stadiums are outside so it shouldn't be as bad... the domed games with A/C are more worrisome.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    But then again, those stadiums are outside so it shouldn't be as bad... the domed games with A/C are more worrisome.
    I dunno. Don't you tend to worry more about getting sick from being in 25 degree weather than the AC being a little too high?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I dunno. Don't you tend to worry more about getting sick from being in 25 degree weather than the AC being a little too high?
    But it's outside, so the particles will mix in with the rest of the atmosphere (fresh air principle), whereas games in domed stadiums with 70,000+ people with the A/C set to 60 degrees because of all the body heat and the natural heat on the field? That's the real germ factory. Like the box/mall-shaped high school that I went to. It was a germ factory compared to those schools that have individual smaller buildings.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Almost everyone has had their priorities rearranged in the past two weeks. Brought into sharp focus. Learned abruptly what is important and what can take a backseat.

Everyone except, apparently, Roger Goodell.

Commissioner Tone Deaf now has turned into Dictator Obtuse. In announcing that the 2020 NFL season would be cancelled without any consideration of a decrease in COVID-19 activity over the next several months, Goodell also sent a memo warning teams not to criticize his decision.

"Twenty-five guaranteed ringless seasons and an automatic six-game suspension for your best or highest-performing player," said Goodell.

As it has looked increasingly likely that the suspended 2019-20 NBA season will not resume anytime soon, this sudden cancellation of the upcoming NFL season at last brings to fruition the "nuclear winter of sports" that sportscasters and fans alike feared during the 2011 lockouts experienced by each sport, but that were ultimately resolved in time to save those respective seasons.

The NCAA basketball tournament was recently cancelled, and it does not look like we shall see Major League Baseball action anytime soon, as spring trainings have been cancelled and the COVID-19 pandemic has put Opening Day on hold indefinitely. The NHL has also been shut down for the foreseeable future. After this decision by Goodell, it is likely that the NCAA will put the college football season on hold as well, leaving an ultimate sporting "nuclear winter" behind.

On a brighter note, this lack of sporting activity in 2020 and possibly beyond may lead to a reduction in post-defeat sorrow drinking, binge eating and temper tantrums. Conversely, a mega-fold increase in sexual activity, general happiness, and weight loss for the general population of long-term sports fans is expected. Also, a slight redistribution in wealth, as the recently-exploding salary caps of the major professional sports leagues will certainly take a plunge in the near future due to this large-scale cease in sporting events.

Source:

Link - Sportsfans Chronicle
    had me up until this point. we know hardcore sportsluvas are just gonna replace "THE BIG GAME!!!!1" with vidya and Netflix. Also rofl at "weight loss"

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    had me up until this point. we know hardcore sportsluvas are just gonna replace "THE BIG GAME!!!!1" with vidya and Netflix. Also rofl at "weight loss"
    yeah, this one was better than the Ebola april fools joke thread, but the best one of my 3 is on the basketball board tbh.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    49ers still the Best team tbh

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    49ers still the Best team tbh
    surely you mean still second best

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    surely you mean still second best
    I mean, they were up 10 with 5 minutes to play... it's not quite as bad a choke as 6, 28-3, or Game 6 of the 2011 World Series (Rangers), but it's definitely up there.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I mean, they were up 10 with 5 minutes to play... it's not quite as bad a choke as 6, 28-3, or Game 6 of the 2011 World Series (Rangers), but it's definitely up there.
    And they lost

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    By 11.

Obviously a different scale (not winner take all), but kinda reminiscent of the '03 NBA Finals Game 6 vs the Nets, where they were up double digits halfway thru the 4th but we managed to catch fire, shut them completely down, and win the championship by double digits.

Game 1 of the 2014 Finals went a little bit like that too. But once again, vastly inferior stakes.

Now Game 7 vs the Pistons in '05 had a similar theme, but we made up the double digit deficit in the 3rd quarter so it wasn't quite as good... similar to game 7 in 2010 with the Lakers coming back down 11 in the third quarter against the Celtics.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Second place period

Veteran
    My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    The same guy who said that Corona was not a big deal and that they will be fine?

Yeah, we see how it looks right now in his country... What an idiot

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    ORANGE MAN BAD!
    Got it

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The same guy who said that Corona was not a big deal and that they will be fine?

Yeah, we see how it looks right now in his country... What an idiot
    Drumpf is gonna get Dumpt in November.

My Team
    Green Bay Packers
    Post Count
    Drumpf is gonna get Dumpt in November.
    Doubtful.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Huh? Biden is a shoe in in Pennsylvania as that's his home state and he's from the industrial white working class part, not from Philly. Don't see a legit path for Trump that doesn't include PA, and now MI hates him too. And AZ is up in the air. If McSally goes, it could turn blue at the presidential level too. That spells doom for Trump.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count

Thread Information