Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can all go down this dark abyss together, or, finance companies, banks, and leasing companies can bite the big one and give everyone 3 months no rent. Pretty simple choice from where I'm looking.
    the oligarchy never does for anybody but themselves, and they are busy buying Congress to protect/enrich their Capital, and the Fed is owned and operated by BigFinance

2001 tax cut scam, 2009 bailout, 2017 tax scam, 2020 whatever the they do, Wall st will get bailed out with $Ts AGAIN!, and Wall streeters will get one month's rent
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 04-03-2020 at 07:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ignoring an awful lot of context there
    Moving around as two adults is completely different than moving around as two adults with children.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can all go down this dark abyss together, or, finance companies, banks, and leasing companies can bite the big one and give everyone 3 months no rent. Pretty simple choice from where I'm looking.
    Aren't they the same en ies you think should be paying 90% income tax?

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He would've been fine. It would've had to have been a perfect storm to really knock him off his feet. Right timing (when he first brought us over and his reserves were depleted), denied unemployment, denied employment elsewhere, etc. Either way, it would've only delayed what he accomplished not stopped it.

How many of these "I'm not paying today and I'm not making it up either" losers can you honestly say were on a good path before the pandemic?

Not the people I'm referring to. There will obviously be productive members of society that are legitimately affected by this. The people you described would fall in that category, imo.

It's also annoying when we act like every person at the bottom of the totem pole is a victim that just fell on hard times through no fault of their own.

Landlords don't create the demand for housing. They just provide the supply. If everyone just carried their own weight, there'd be a lot less opportunities for landlords.
    Respect for your old man and his work ethic, but there's always luck involved with everybody's situation. Like Will Hunting said, all it takes is some medical emergency to completely wipe out any progress an up and coming family has worked for. Also, there's luck involved when a pandemic, depression, recession, etc is avoided but also when you get into a certain industry at the right time.

Oil and gas is a perfect example. I know many boomers were petroleum engineers and geologists who worked hard and are very well off financially. Retired, put all their kids through good colleges, etc. However, millenials who started in that same field in the early 2010's are probably not doing so well. You had the major downturn in 2014 and now this one which was arguably worse. That's years of lost income regardless of what happens next even if they have the drive to be successful in another field.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moving around as two adults is completely different than moving around as two adults with children.
    Yeah. Makes it even more difficult. Which was my point that you can’t just pick up and leave

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh cool. Anecdotes.
    Works both ways. Theres no evidence that proves every person struggling is a hard working small business owner or that they fell on hard times due to a medical emergency.

Respect for your old man and his work ethic, but there's always luck involved with everybody's situation. Like Will Hunting said, all it takes is some medical emergency to completely wipe out any progress an up and coming family has worked for. Also, there's luck involved when a pandemic, depression, recession, etc is avoided but also when you get into a certain industry at the right time.

Oil and gas is a perfect example. I know many boomers were petroleum engineers and geologists who worked hard and are very well off financially. Retired, put all their kids through good colleges, etc. However, millenials who started in that same field in the early 2010's are probably not doing so well. You had the major downturn in 2014 and now this one which was arguably worse. That's years of lost income regardless of what happens next even if they have the drive to be successful in another field.
    What percentage of the poor/struggling are in their predicament because of those unique situations though? And what percentage because they lack ambition, financial discipline, and work ethic?
    Last edited by FkLA; 04-03-2020 at 11:51 AM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    ^Mark Celibates example is a lot less anecdotal than yours. He’s talking about an entire industry that’s historically employed hundreds of thousands of people in stable jobs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How so? I'm not saying landlords can't be victims, but they do at least own a property they can sell for a solid chunk if hits the fan.
    It's fair to say it could be very had to move a home in this coming market. And if you can, it's also fair to say you might lose a pretty penny on it.

But, the basic gist is a lot of landlords can lose their properties and their tenants.

Small time landlords are SMBs and they're gonna get killed. A lot of the small time landlords give people chances that property management companies just don't. You lose a lot of those landlords, you make it even harder for a lot of low and middle classers that don't meet stringent application criteria to find nice homes/properties that private landlords offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^Mark Celibates example is a lot less anecdotal than yours. He’s talking about an entire industry that’s historically employed hundreds of thousands of people in stable jobs.
    Sure, but not all of them failed to secure a job in their field and not all of them failed to make it work somewhere else. It's still a small percentage in the grand scheme of things.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, , it happened to our last landlord. They had their home and we rented their other. Never a problem for two years, we even upgraded the property on our dime because we like curb appeal. She even made a lot of upgrades over the two years.

Then hit the fan for her and she lost her home so we got the boot while my wife is 7 months pregnant because they had no where to turn. We got 30 days, I told them we're taking our 60 days.

Worked out for us, we moved to the only acceptable part of the Central Valley, home is 2.5k sq ft and our rent is $400-$800 below market right now and the widower has no intentions of every raising it. But the prior scenario can and will play out for a lot of people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Makes it even more difficult. Which was my point that you can’t just pick up and leave
    Then what were you arguing about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then what were you arguing about?
    I was talking about the complications of moving out of state, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't have the additional complication of kids.

I don't know why you made a stink of it as if my opinion was invalid unless I had kids, when that would only exacerbate the exact thing I was talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was talking about the complications of moving out of state, and that's coming from somebody who doesn't have the additional complication of kids.

I don't know why you made a stink of it as if my opinion was invalid unless I had kids, when that would only exacerbate the exact thing I was talking about.
    I wasn't necessary talking to you but you found some reason to disagree with it and then basically agreed with what I said that you don't have any kids. It's not that hard to move out of state with kids. You pick up and go, people did it for years. My family moved all the time. I was at the same school three different times growing up and everywhere in between. Sure if you're concerned about their friends or some dance class they're going to or something like that that's one thing but survival is quite different. Most people, especially these days, have no idea what bare survival is. They can't even imagine going without television for a week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's fair to say it could be very had to move a home in this coming market. And if you can, it's also fair to say you might lose a pretty penny on it.

But, the basic gist is a lot of landlords can lose their properties and their tenants.

Small time landlords are SMBs and they're gonna get killed. A lot of the small time landlords give people chances that property management companies just don't. You lose a lot of those landlords, you make it even harder for a lot of low and middle classers that don't meet stringent application criteria to find nice homes/properties that private landlords offer.
    Losing a pretty penny means you're still getting money back in, unless you're so leveraged on that property, which I have to question whose fault that really is?

Sorry, but the notion that landlords can ever be in a tier situation than the renters, at least in the vast majority of times, doesn't add up to me.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Works both ways. Theres no evidence that proves every person struggling is a hard working small business owner or that they fell on hard times due to a medical emergency.

What percentage of the poor/struggling are in their predicament because of those unique situations though? And what percentage because they lack ambition, financial discipline, and work ethic?
    I'm not arguing exact percentages here, but bad luck happens to hard working people often enough to where you can't just dismiss it. My point is that you seem to over-generalize it with your anecdotal story about how your dad worked really hard and that's the reason he's at where he's at today without factoring in good fortune into it. Good fortune doesn't have to mean rich parents, it can mean a variety of other things (timing, health, personal black swan events, state of your particular industry, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't necessary talking to you but you found some reason to disagree with it and then basically agreed with what I said that you don't have any kids. It's not that hard to move out of state with kids. You pick up and go, people did it for years. My family moved all the time. I was at the same school three different times growing up and everywhere in between. Sure if you're concerned about their friends or some dance class they're going to or something like that that's one thing but survival is quite different. Most people, especially these days, have no idea what bare survival is. They can't even imagine going without television for a week.
    im not even sure what you are talking about at this point.

you were whining about whippersnappers who have never done it talking about moving out of state. i said that i had moved out of state within the last year, but without kids, and that there were enough complications/expenses associated with that, that i can infer it would only be more burdensome with kids

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at all the assertions from people who've never done it. There are plenty here who have raised a family and moved out of state with a family based on necessity or opportunity. Let those people speak up. The rest of you whippersnappers pipe down.
    im not even sure what you are talking about at this point.

you were whining about whippersnappers who have never done it talking about moving out of state. i said that i had moved out of state within the last year, but without kids, and that there were enough complications/expenses associated with that, that i can infer it would only be more burdensome with kids
    Read again, Philo. I was talking about moving out of state while raising a family. You and your wife don't cons ute "raising a family". I know you want to shoehorn yourself into the conversation but sometimes you should just shut the up, if you can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Read again, Philo. I was talking about moving out of state while raising a family. You and your wife don't cons ute "raising a family". I know you want to shoehorn yourself into the conversation but sometimes you should just shut the up, if you can.
    so pissy

if moving without kids can have expenses and complications then those would only be amplified with kids

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so pissy

if moving without kids can have expenses and complications then those would only be amplified with kids
    Obviously your speculation trumps experience.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I own a few properties. so far they been paying

I will understand if they lose their jobs I can take a few maybe 3 months late rent

but if they provide no excuse or take advantage theyRe going to get whats coming. I have the keys to the property and can make life real interesting if pissed off

they wont even know whats going on but they will know they need to get out of the property ASAP
    In other words, he manages a mobile home park.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In other words, he manages a mobile home park.
    Not very sexy to say you own a mobile home park but they're actually really great investments. You're practically just renting out the land so you dont have to deal with repairs like you do apartments/houses.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Not very sexy to say you own a mobile home park but they're actually really great investments. You're practically just renting out the land so you dont have to deal with repairs like you do apartments/houses.
    Yep, my goal in life is to save up enough to buy a mobile home park

Youre just renting land out and can aggressively jack rents ever year since double wide/triple wide trailers cost between $5k and $10k to move after they’ve settled (IOW the residents have no other options since they can’t afford to move)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously your speculation trumps experience.
    Yeah. I’m speculating that adding kids to the picture would only increase complications and expense.

Silly me

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, my goal in life is to save up enough to buy a mobile home park

Youre just renting land out and can aggressively jack rents ever year since double wide/triple wide trailers cost between $5k and $10k to move after they’ve settled (IOW the residents have no other options since they can’t afford to move)
    You’re going to gave a lot of tenants when this is over.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You’re going to gave a lot of tenants when this is over.
    Ya ass smootcher, you.

Thread Information