Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no great faith in such a thing happening before a calamitous state of events.

Now would be the time to act; but as you (and arguably I, even) demonstrate, the apathy is too much of a stumbling block.
    I think the last time this happened with some relevance was the Occupy Wall Street movement? They got shunned and ted all over, IIRC.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the last time this happened with some relevance was the Occupy Wall Street movement? They got shunned and ted all over, IIRC.
    That movement was doomed to fail (if not otherwise) because of the scuzzballs at the center of it. Also, I think this issue of billionaire greed is much more prominent. Expansion of social media has made this a shrinking universe. Still, I marvel at the apathy this time around. Maybe people would get out and say this if horse , but the government has people locked up in their houses like prisons. Congrats on advocating that, bruh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That movement was doomed to fail (if not otherwise) because of the scuzzballs at the center of it. Also, I think this issue of billionaire greed is much more prominent. Expansion of social media has made this a shrinking universe. Still, I marvel at the apathy this time around. Maybe people would get out and say this if horse , but the government has people locked up in their houses like prisons. Congrats on advocating that, bruh.
    I think they were fighting for the same thing you're talking about, the privilege, Wall Street being 'the man', etc.

The apathy goes much deeper, IMO. Protest in this country really hasn't existed since the civil rights era. Even unionization, which I suspect you probably despise, was one of the few things that was able to have enough leverage for a while, but right now pretty much disappeared, so it's not really surprising the balance is so tilted, tbh.

This has nothing to do with freedom, this has to do with a temporary health hazard. But this also proves how you still have people that care and think only about themselves, even if they end up infecting their family, friends and coworkers.

Fortunately, it looks like the vast majority of people are smart enough to parse we're living at an exceptional time, and with enough care and being smart, we're gonna get through this. So there's hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talking about Wall Street...

Wall Street ans lobby for a cut of small business bailout

Private equity and venture capital firms are worried that companies they own will be blocked from obtaining loans because of SBA rules.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...bailout-160298

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even unionization, which I suspect you probably despise
    The concept? No.

The practices? Yes.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they were fighting for the same thing you're talking about, the privilege, Wall Street being 'the man', etc.

The apathy goes much deeper, IMO. Protest in this country really hasn't existed since the civil rights era. Even unionization, which I suspect you probably despise, was one of the few things that was able to have enough leverage for a while, but right now pretty much disappeared, so it's not really surprising the balance is so tilted, tbh.

This has nothing to do with freedom, this has to do with a temporary health hazard. But this also proves how you still have people that care and think only about themselves, even if they end up infecting their family, friends and coworkers.

Fortunately, it looks like the vast majority of people are smart enough to parse we're living at an exceptional time, and with enough care and being smart, we're gonna get through this. So there's hope.
    COVID19 like the flu kills high-risk health individuals almost exclusively; that's what the data says. More sensible measures should've been taken instead of this one size fits all nonsense. I don't think it's a matter of persons particularly not caring about this; it's a difference of outlook largely.

I think it's more of a me culture than ever; but I am not discounting all the bright spots out there in terms of the younger ranks rising to something better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    COVID19 like the flu kills high-risk health individuals almost exclusively; that's what the data says. More sensible measures should've been taken instead of this one size fits all nonsense. I don't think it's a matter of persons particularly not caring about this; it's a difference of outlook largely.

I think it's more of a me culture than ever; but I am not discounting all the bright spots out there in terms of the younger ranks rising to something better.
    Nothing like the flu. Not when we have vaccines for the flu, and we have treatments and medicines for the flu. The worst disease here in the US is hearth disease and it kills 1700 people a day, something that should be eclipsed by this thing in the next couple of weeks.

The good news is that if we're responsible about it, we can help bring those numbers down, and get this temporary situation relatively over with sooner. Unlike other diseases like cancer, where it's generally outside of our control, we can make this have a lesser impact.

It's encouraging seeing some States finally getting the memo, even if late, to try to contain this situation. And this should have a lasting impact. The first wave of the Spanish flu killed only old people too, the second wave actually killed mostly young people, IIRC.

Trying to find comfort of not being in a certain demographic is simply shortsighted. There has to be lessons learned from this going forward, or we're bound to repeat it all over again.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing like the flu.
    I didn't compare it to the flu; but according to current numbers, NY deaths 2200 and Cali deaths 200. Cold weather state is 11X worse. Sounds a bit like the flu.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing like the flu. Not when we have vaccines for the flu, and we have treatments and medicines for the flu. The worst disease here in the US is hearth disease and it kills 1700 people a day, something that should be eclipsed by this thing in the next couple of weeks.

The good news is that if we're responsible about it, we can help bring those numbers down, and get this temporary situation relatively over with sooner. Unlike other diseases like cancer, where it's generally outside of our control, we can make this have a lesser impact.

It's encouraging seeing some States finally getting the memo, even if late, to try to contain this situation. And this should have a lasting impact. The first wave of the Spanish flu killed only old people too, the second wave actually killed mostly young people, IIRC.

Trying to find comfort of not being in a certain demographic is simply shortsighted. There has to be lessons learned from this going forward, or we're bound to repeat it all over again.
    The vaccine angle gets overstated, imo. Medical treatments today far surpass what was available in 1918.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see that Repugs, having voted $100Bs for the Capitalist oligarchy, are whining that $600/week for Labor pays more than working, want to cut it back down to poverty level.

The last significant protest movement was the Viet Nam anti-war movement,

and even then the Repugs kept the war going for years,

and scuttled/October-Surprised the Paris Peace talks to deny Humphrey/Dems any credit for ending the war.

ALL the Repugs to

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We know the government is raping us. Why is there no movement against it?

You got anything, Chumpettes?
    According to all the QAnon and fake MAGA patriots, Trump is one of the good guys. It's for our own safety and protection. Trump is locking up all the pedophiles while we are in quarantine. Republicans are in charge so we're in good hands. It's okay to have a police state and martial law because Trump will save us.

That's how these brainless fools give up their rights. And the leftists? Well as expected. They are cheering for government takeover because of the Coronavirus hoax. Never thought I'd see a day in my life where the left and right agree to let big government take over.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to all the QAnon and fake MAGA patriots, Trump is one of the good guys. It's for our own safety and protection. Trump is locking up all the pedophiles while we are in quarantine. Republicans are in charge so we're in good hands. It's okay to have a police state and martial law because Trump will save us.

That's how these brainless fools give up their rights. And the leftists? Well as expected. They are cheering for government takeover because of the Coronavirus hoax. Never thought I'd see a day in my life where the left and right agree to let big government take over.
    What'd you think of those envelopes at the Bush funeral?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't compare it to the flu; but according to current numbers, NY deaths 2200 and Cali deaths 200. Cold weather state is 11X worse. Sounds a bit like the flu.
    You said:

COVID19 like the flu kills high-risk health individuals almost exclusively
    And that's not necessarily true. Like I said in that post, one of the waves in the Spanish Flu killed almost exclusively young people. So you can't just bet on demographics.

The Cali vs NY deaths have much more to do with Cali doing a good job early of flattening the curve, nothing else. Look at Louisiana, even further south than Cali, struggling with this thing, and Florida is ramping up too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The vaccine angle gets overstated, imo. Medical treatments today far surpass what was available in 1918.
    Well, when it reduces the death rate ~10 fold, I wouldn't really say it's overstated. However, I would agree that the vaccine is not the perfect solution, as it can't cover all strains.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump started it, though

Thread Information