San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot how stacked the West was back then tbh

Also : Scola trade

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skipped right into it. At Scola having to deal with NBA's fake fouls.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rick Adelman good system coach; but he sucks at making adjustments in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skipped right into it. At Scola having to deal with NBA's fake fouls.
    Euro leagues had refs that “let them play”
    So much for European being “softer” than American players

Rick Adelman good system coach; but he sucks at making adjustments in the playoffs.
    Super coach but as you said not great at playoff adjustments

Phil Jackson was scared of him though :

Game 7 almost happened in 92
    Kings should have won in 01
    Pushes the Lakers to a game 7 in 2009 with a bunch of scrubs, even had the guts to kick Von Wafer out of a game at Staples during the series

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game 7 almost happened in 92
    Been too long. I forgot he was Portland's coach. Yea, Portland kinda choked. I'm sure Dad Killer was getting all the right calls though.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching Artest; good in 07-08. What a taking that paycut to go to LA to ring chase. Dude saved Kobe's legacy just as much as the re ed Gasol trade.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    China force Yao to shut it down to play in the Olympics?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Three games out of the one seed and two games out of the nine seed"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been too long. I forgot he was Portland's coach. Yea, Portland kinda choked. I'm sure Dad Killer was getting all the right calls though.
    That and got bailed out by MVPippen and the bench in game 6

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Seemed like either McGrady or Yao was always injured. But even then I think if they had both remained healthy, their ceiling was probably a compe ive loss in the WCF in the five year window between 05-10 tbh. They were never better than the Pau/Kobe Lakers, and would not have survived the Spurs/Suns/Mavs buzzsaw the years prior

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seemed like either McGrady or Yao was always injured. But even then I think if they had both remained healthy, their ceiling was probably a compe ive loss in the WCF in the five year window between 05-10 tbh. They were never better than the Pau/Kobe Lakers, and would not have survived the Spurs/Suns/Mavs buzzsaw the years prior
    In 08 they were arguably better, before Artest went pansy mode and signed with the Lakers for jack sh** money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watching Artest; good in 07-08. What a taking that paycut to go to LA to ring chase. Dude saved Kobe's legacy just as much as the re ed Gasol trade.
    From what I recall Artest was like a toxic asset. Nobody in the league wanted to touch him especially after that story that came out about what he did prior to game 7 of the Rox vs Laker series. Artest missed the team bus and arrived on a separate bus only to be dressed up in underwear. What made matters worse was the team owner was on the same bus Artest was on.

I view the Lakers getting Artest much like Bulls getting Rodman. In both cases both teams lucked out getting a talented malcontent that nobody else wanted.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I recall Artest was like a toxic asset. Nobody in the league wanted to touch him especially after that story that came out about what he did prior to game 7 of the Rox vs Laker series. Artest missed the team bus and arrived on a separate bus only to be dressed up in underwear. What made matters worse was the team owner was on the same bus Artest was on.

I view the Lakers getting Artest much like Bulls getting Rodman. In both cases both teams lucked out getting a talented malcontent that nobody else wanted.
    Interesting. But dude was basically a max player who took the min to ring chase.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. But dude was basically a max player who took the min to ring chase.
    The problem was nobody wanted him except for the Lakers due to his bad track record. That's why he had to take less money. There was no team out there that wanted him. The Lakers saved him from being out of the league. It sucked that he was talented and the Lakers had the luxury of taking a risk on him while other teams weren't willing to do so. Trust me I despised Artest and even more when the Lakers signed him because I knew he was going to be allowed to get away with more stuff on the defensive end due to being a Laker.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem was nobody wanted him except for the Lakers due to his bad track record. That's why he had to take less money. There was no team out there that wanted him. The Lakers saved him from being out of the league. It sucked that he was talented and the Lakers had the luxury of taking a risk on him while other teams weren't willing to do so. Trust me I despised Artest and even more when the Lakers signed him because I knew he was going to be allowed to get away with more stuff on the defensive end due to being a Laker.
    You surely don't believe that?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    '91 Blazers had the most wins at 63. In 92 they were on the downturn. East was superior in early 90s

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope it's actually the truth. I remember following FA closely during that off season. Artest had flamed out in Indiana,Sacramento, and then Houston. The underwear story pretty much scared teams away from him along with the fact that he had flamed out badly on all of teams he had previously played for. He had type of reputation JR Rider had picked up towards the end of his career. There was no team that wanted him it was similar to Spurs situation with Rodman in the summer of '95. Lakers historically have been a team that's willing to take risks on talented malcontents. They took chances on both Rodman,Rider,Cousins.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's also a link to underwear story.

https://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootba...rwear-warrior/

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope it's actually the truth. I remember following FA closely during that off season. Artest had flamed out in Indiana,Sacramento, and then Houston. The underwear story pretty much scared teams away from him along with the fact that he had flamed out badly on all of teams he had previously played for. He had type of reputation JR Rider had picked up towards the end of his career. There was no team that wanted him it was similar to Spurs situation with Rodman in the summer of '95. Lakers historically have been a team that's willing to take risks on talented malcontents. They took chances on both Rodman,Rider,Cousins.
    I guess you contention is plausible. But to me he was still a borderline elite two-way player. Maybe the hi jinx took his value down some; but I'd have to believe many teams were still interested.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you contention is plausible. But to me he was still a borderline elite two-way player. Maybe the hi jinx took his value down some; but I'd have to believe many teams were still interested.
    His reputation was badly damaged. He had the malice on the palace on his record to deal with, plus the way he went out with Kings, and then Rockets flame out. When you screw up that many times it catches up to you. You can only get away with that type of stuff when you are a superstar talent. From what I do remember now is that teams were not willing to offer a long term contract while the Lakers were.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His reputation was badly damaged. He had the malice on the palace on his record to deal with, plus the way he went out with Kings, and then Rockets flame out. When you screw up that many times it catches up to you. You can only get away with that type of stuff when you are a superstar talent. From what I do remember now is that teams were not willing to offer a long term contract while the Lakers were.
    I think that's the cover story that you were sold on. Artest probably got side deals to come to LA for that jack sh** contract. Plenty of teams were interested. Malice At The Palace was in the rearview mirror. NBA drilled it into him that he was banned forever if that happened again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's the cover story that you were sold on. Artest probably got side deals to come to LA for that jack sh** contract. Plenty of teams were interested. Malice At The Palace was in the rearview mirror. NBA drilled it into him that he was banned forever if that happened again.
    How is it a cover story when it's a fact teams didn't try to pursue him. Go research it in your spare time and see who were other teams that went after him in summer of '09. Like I said before championship teams always benefit from being able to take risks on talented malcontents. Look at a guy like JR Smith. Nobody wanted him but the Cavs and that was because of Lebron. Just like nobody wanted Dennis Rodman except for Chicago in the summer of '95. Even after '98 the only team that wanted Rodman was the Lakers.

It wasn't just the malice and palace incident that scared teams away from Artest but it was the fact that he quit on every team he had played on. He asked out of Indiana despite them having his back during the malice and palace situation. He got in trouble in Sactown when he got arrested for domestic abuse and asked to be traded. He then quit on the Rox in that game 7 and had that underwear incident. All those things came into play into destroying his rep. How many teams are going to want take a risk on a guy whose mentally unstable and can't be counted on not to get in trouble along with playing out their contract. Like I said that crap only works when you are a superstar player not when you are just a good player.

Malone and Payton going to the Lakers actually pissed me off more than Artest because they had options and didn't have to go there. In their case I do believe LA paid them money underneath the table to go there.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is it a cover story when it's a fact teams didn't try to pursue him.
    Yea, it's a "fact"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well go prove me wrong.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like nobody wanted Dennis Rodman except for Chicago in the summer of '95. Even after '98 the only team that wanted Rodman was the Lakers.
    That's the media selling papers (clicks), bro. Teams wanted Rodman.

Thread Information