Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is only weak to people who pay more attention to politics (primary speeches, cable news interviews, etc.) than most.
    Which happen to be the most likely to go out there and vote even if they're not really excited about the candidate ideas, etc, tbh. To actually drive the general public, you have to give them a reason to go out there and vote for you.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depressing that this is the best case scenario
    If you really believe that, you should turn in your Democrat card. It's not getting any better.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks to have only two choices
    Cry a river, Sadbert. You weren't voting for Jill Stein last election or whatever third party. You're as Dembot as they come.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is only weak to people who pay more attention to politics (primary speeches, cable news interviews, etc.) than most. To the general public, he's a former VP from a popular presidency.

He's probably a much stronger candidate than most of the newcomer possibilities, as far as appeal to the general voter, on name recognition alone. As long as he doesn't it up, he's in the driver's seat.
    Sadbert giving himself a pep talk. Dude, people are gonna see Biden as a creepy senile corrupt POS.

Democrat alley-ooping that ball to Trump for the tomahawk jam!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is a weak choice but still the best of the group. If you cannot beat Warren you shouldn't be in the race to begin with. Bernie is just a slightly more robust version of Ron Paul. It was always going to be Biden because of the Obama connection. If Obama campaigns for Joe, Joe wins. If Obama doesn't, Joe loses.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is a weak choice but still the best of the group. If you cannot beat Warren you shouldn't be in the race to begin with. Bernie is just a slightly more robust version of Ron Paul. It was always going to be Biden because of the Obama connection. If Obama campaigns for Joe, Joe wins. If Obama doesn't, Joe loses.
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If that's the case, might as well nominate Mic e and run the table...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you really believe that, you should turn in your Democrat card. It's not getting any better.
    He should probably become a Republican and vote for Trump. Right derp?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He should probably become a Republican and vote for Trump. Right derp?
    I didn't say that at all. I've never said that for that matter. You need to get dresses off your brain and pay attention, tranny.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Uh, huh, sure there are.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which happen to be the most likely to go out there and vote even if they're not really excited about the candidate ideas, etc, tbh. To actually drive the general public, you have to give them a reason to go out there and vote for you.
    We may disagree on how high that number of people is. When 60% of the population votes, I would argue that consists of a large majority of politically unattentive people. (This, of course, depends on where you draw the line with attentiveness. I would set it well under "participates in online political discussions about whether Biden is suffering from dementia.")

And as we saw in 2018, voting against Donald Trump will likely be enough. That midterm election saw the highest voter turnout of a midterm in 100+ years, the Democrats won by 9%, and it wasn't because they were super excited about their House candidate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We may disagree on how high that number of people is. When 60% of the population votes, I would argue that consists of a large majority of politically unattentive people. (This, of course, depends on where you draw the line with attentiveness. I would set it well under "participates in online political discussions about whether Biden is suffering from dementia.")

And as we saw in 2018, voting against Donald Trump will likely be enough. That midterm election saw the highest voter turnout of a midterm in 100+ years, the Democrats won by 9%, and it wasn't because they were super excited about their House candidate.
    Midterms are a different ballgame, IMO, always been. There's a lot more focus on local candidates and issues.

And let's not pretend that voter turnout in 2016 wasn't lower than both '08 and '12. A 2% swing on that voting number is enough to flip a number of swing states, as we've seen.

I don't disagree that Trump is an unpopular president, however, in these contests that only matters vis a vis his opponent. And all these campaigns normally hinge in certain soundbites. I can place exactly when Kerry lost his run (the swift boat thing), or Romney (the 47% talk). In this social media day, it takes very little to ruin you due to an unforced error, and Biden is such a liability in that aspect, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Midterms are a different ballgame, IMO, always been. There's a lot more focus on local candidates and issues.
    Usually, yes. But not in 2018. That election was about Donald Trump. Just like 2010 was really about Obama for Republicans.

And let's not pretend that voter turnout in 2016 wasn't lower than both '08 and '12. A 2% swing on that voting number is enough to flip a number of swing states, as we've seen.
    It's hard to see a scenario where turnout doesn't increase vs 2016, and even harder to see an increase in participation favoring Republicans.

I don't disagree that Trump is an unpopular president, however, in these contests that only matters vis a vis his opponent. And all these campaigns normally hinge in certain soundbites. I can place exactly when Kerry lost his run (the swift boat thing), or Romney (the 47% talk). In this social media day, it takes very little to ruin you due to an unforced error, and Biden is such a liability in that aspect, IMO.
    Neither of those guys was running against an in bent that could be counted on for a gaffe a day. The bar has been lowered substantially at this point. Biden will probably say some bafflingly stupid things in the coming months, but Trump will "Hold my beer" it within 24 hours.
    Last edited by Spurminator; 04-09-2020 at 11:14 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Usually, yes. But not in 2018. That election was about Donald Trump. Just like 2010 was really about Obama for Republicans.
    I respectfully agree to disagree, tbh... the entire calculation for a POTUS election is different due to the EC.

It's hard to see a scenario where turnout doesn't increase vs 2016, and even harder to see an increase in participation favoring Republicans.
    Really? I didn't see a clear reason why turnout would be any better/different than 2016 before the pandemic. I thought the poor turnout of young people in the Dem primary was actually more of an indicator that the tuning out is fairly real.

Neither of those guys was running against an in bent that could be counted on for a gaffe a day. The bar has been lowered substantially at this point. Biden will probably say some bafflingly stupid things in the coming months, but Trump will "Hold my beer" it within 24 hours.
    The problem is that Trump is simply not accountable, tbh... I know and I agree it's entirely unfair, but the expectation is that Biden will be better and raise the bar. Considering where the bar is, that shouldn't be much of a problem for your average candidate, but unfortunately we got Joe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I respectfully agree to disagree, tbh... the entire calculation for a POTUS election is different due to the EC.
    This is true but if Dems win the popular vote by anywhere near the 9% they won the midterms by, the EC won't matter. Not a prediction, per se, just using 2018 as a guide.

Really? I didn't see a clear reason why turnout would be any better/different than 2016 before the pandemic. I thought the poor turnout of young people in the Dem primary was actually more of an indicator that the tuning out is fairly real.
    Tough to gauge based on a primary. Those are always low, and they lacked a real "favorite" other than Bernie, whose following was lower than expected. I am cautiously optimistic that people will show up for November this time. I think the 2018 election is a more realistic comparison than the primaries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden’s a better candidate than Hilary was. Unfortunately trump is a stronger candidate now as well.

I will be pretty surprised if Biden wins tbh. We are stuck with this ass hat for a second term most likely

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden’s a better candidate than Hilary was. Unfortunately trump is a stronger candidate now as well.

I will be pretty surprised if Biden wins tbh. We are stuck with this ass hat for a second term most likely
    All the black voters that didn't show up will. They voted in droves for Obama/Biden. They want that gravy train back. And no one is sleeping on this election. Just like 2018.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Biden Haters/Putin-Orange lovers can't stop that this election.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the economy is in the ter. That's an instant death sentence.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately trump is a stronger candidate now as well.
    Interesting take. What makes you think he's a stronger candidate now? In bency not withstanding.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean orange is going to kill 100k americans by next election.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough to gauge based on a primary. Those are always low, and they lacked a real "favorite" other than Bernie, whose following was lower than expected. I am cautiously optimistic that people will show up for November this time. I think the 2018 election is a more realistic comparison than the primaries.
    I mean, 2008 was actually a record number in Democrat primaries turnout, so I don't know they can be dismissed off-hand. I think part of excitement for a candidate does come from there. And sure, this field was pretty damn terrible, which also doesn't spell a lot of confidence.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just waiting for Obama to start campaigning for him.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not by a long shot. Sure, the conventional thinking on the prestige of VP / legacy is something that often holds at least seemingly. But you're fooling yourself if you think people are going to vote for senility. He's done for even before you throw in the creepy sh**.

Thread Information