Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    No more worrying about 10 win teams possibly getting snubbed out. Especially in the stacked NFC.

Only one bye in each conference. That is absolutely fair. Two byes is one too many. Bye should be the ultimate prize for being the #1 seed and no less. I love this change.

[So, theoretically, there can be a 20-0 team now, if there are two teams who don't play each other in the same conference so they can theoretically both go undefeated.]

Side note: They have left open the possibility for a 17-game season starting in 2 years; but I hope it never happens, since it will ruin statistics historically across the league.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...21hfyoinqckt81

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    No more worrying about 10 win teams possibly getting snubbed out. Especially in the stacked NFC.

Only one bye in each conference. That is absolutely fair. Two byes is one too many. Bye should be the ultimate prize for being the #1 seed and no less. I love this change.

[So, theoretically, there can be a 20-0 team now, if there are two teams who don't play each other in the same conference so they can theoretically both go undefeated.]

Side note: They have left open the possibility for a 17-game season starting in 2 years; but I hope it never happens, since it will ruin statistics historically across the league.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...21hfyoinqckt81
    If they're doing this, they might as well add one more team. It's ridiculous giving the #1 team the only bye. Especially considering they may have even rested players in the last game.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    If they're doing this, they might as well add one more team. It's ridiculous giving the #1 team the only bye. Especially considering they may have even rested players in the last game.
    no, it's ridiculous to give an 8-8 team (or worse, especially in the AFC) a chance to beat a 13-3 powerhouse in a single elimination format

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    no, it's ridiculous to give an 8-8 team (or worse, especially in the AFC) a chance to beat a 13-3 powerhouse in a single elimination format
    It's sports mother er. You want some potential for upsets. Giving the #1 team a free week is going to that up imo. If you're 13-3, you shouldn't have any problem with the 8-8 team.
    Having one team with a week off has implications beyond that one game.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It's sports mother er. You want some potential for upsets. Giving the #1 team a free week is going to that up imo. If you're 13-3, you shouldn't have any problem with the 8-8 team.
    Having one team with a week off has implications beyond that one game.
    8 teams on either bracket means exactly half the league makes the playoffs every year, that's too watery / diluted IMO.

8-8 teams in the playoffs is just as bad as having 6-6 or 5-7 teams playing in bowl games in the NCAAF. Or, the NBA's Eastern conference for the past 20 years where at least one 30-something win team almost always manages to sneak into the playoffs. Usually leads to a snoozefest first round series there.

Besides, nobody wants a quadruple header on both Saturday and Sunday of wild card weekend. Triple header mirrors the regular NFL season so that works very well, but how are you going to fit 4 games? Nobody would want to play or watch early morning games as if they're playing in London or something.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    8 teams on either bracket means exactly half the league makes the playoffs every year, that's too watery / diluted IMO.

8-8 teams in the playoffs is just as bad as having 6-6 or 5-7 teams playing in bowl games in the NCAAF. Or, the NBA's Eastern conference for the past 20 years where at least one 30-something win team almost always manages to sneak into the playoffs. Usually leads to a snoozefest first round series there.

Besides, nobody wants a quadruple header on both Saturday and Sunday of wild card weekend. Triple header mirrors the regular NFL season so that works very well, but how are you going to fit 4 games? Nobody would want to play or watch early morning games as if they're playing in London or something.
    You're re ed. There's little difference between 7 and 8 teams being in other than the massive advantage the #1 seed receives with the first week bye. If there's that big a gap between the 13-3 team and the 8-8 team, then the 13-3 team shouldn't have a problem. Plus it accounts for teams being in easy divisions.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You're re ed. There's little difference between 7 and 8 teams being in other than the massive advantage the #1 seed receives with the first week bye. If there's that big a gap between the 13-3 team and the 8-8 team, then the 13-3 team shouldn't have a problem. Plus it accounts for teams being in easy divisions.
    Idk, but I think having a full week of R&R is a massive prize that should be reserved for the very best team, not the best two teams from either side.

Also, the idea of a faint but not impossible 20-0 season (undefeated #2 seed that got shafted in the strength of schedule tiebreaker) is pretty tantalizing, too.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Too much rest backfires from time to time. Consider how flat both AFC top seeds came out in 2020

My Team
    Kansas City Chiefs
    Post Count
    18 weeks season. Each team plays 16 games and rests 2. 8 teams make the playoffs per conference. That should be it.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    18 weeks season. Each team plays 16 games and rests 2. 8 teams make the playoffs per conference. That should be it.
    I like the 18 weeks season (start the season first Sunday of September instead of the 2nd), get rid of the dumb useless 4th preseason game, move one up in August. Having 2 byes ensures that there will be less complaining about "hey that's not fair that you got a week 13 bye and I got stuck with a week 4 bye".... and the like.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Whelp, tonight and tomorrow were officially fun. I like the concept and hope it stays. However, they absolutely MUST jettison the dumb 17-game idea, which will create compe ive imbalance, and I will not watch the NFL if this happens.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I really like the first weekend in January tripleheader though. DAF86

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Bears and Colts didn't win but they provided the scare for sure.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    #No17GameSeason

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Hope they keep it up with the 14 playoff teams but no reason to really call it "Super Wild Card Weekend" anymore, tbh, if it's going to be the norm going forward.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers officially the first wild card team to make the Super Bowl since, ironically Aaron Rodgers' Packers. Also, first team to make the Super Bowl having won three games (i.e. played in the Wild Card round) since the 2012 Ravens.

Believe.
    My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    There is no god but Allah
    Muhammad is the Prophet (pbuh).
    Soon all will be over

Thread Information