Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Leonard Doody is my BITCH! Mr Dio's Avatar
    Post Count
    Actually, you're no better at predicting than anybody here. You just love to brag about yourself more than anyone else.

Speaking of which, you predicted that USC would lose at least 2 games this year. What happened oh great prognosticator?

If there is anyone that is 100% for the season I need their phone # so I can lay down some serious cash.
    Anyone seen that 2 for the Money flick? Is it good?

Post Count
    i agree. after yesterday, it is quite obvious who should be playing in the rose bowl. and hopefully, that will come true because it will be a great game for everyone.

the trojan d isn't flawless... but we also didnt have our first or even second string in when stanford scored the last two touchdowns. i think it is important to note the score when the first team was playing was 44-7. after the first few minutes in the 3rd quarter you could see all of the big time players on the sideline (hence the 51-21 final score).

i think the same can be said about texas: how many posts (even in this thread) refer to them beating usc in the rose bowl?
    Man, over a grand for a pair of tkts.
    At least I won't be paying for a place to stay. My bud from the Corps lives on Manchester near LAX. He is actually a couple of blocks from Playa.
    I like the LA nightlife on retro night. The Palace still have a KROQ night once a month? I think every Thur or Sat night was KROQ night back in the late 80s.

Post Count
    Man, over a grand for a pair of tkts.
    At least I won't be paying for a place to stay. My bud from the Corps lives on Manchester near LAX. He is actually a couple of blocks from Playa.
    I like the LA nightlife on retro night. The Palace still have a KROQ night once a month? I think every Thur or Sat night was KROQ night back in the late 80s.
    not sure. i usually just stick to the pubs.

not to jinx anything because there are 3 games remaining, but i am just hoping i get tickets in the season ticket holders lottery. i have my entry and another entry for a chance. if we get either, then i will definitely be there. i wouldn't technically need a place to stay, but it's good to stay around pasadena because getting there on game day is a pain. but then again, it isn't on january 1st this year so that helps.

Post Count
    I might stay with some family in Whittier or Pico Rivera since that is closer than the LAX area.
    What is the website were you could bid on a chance to buy tkts?

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Actually, you're no better at predicting than anybody here. You just love to brag about yourself more than anyone else.

Speaking of which, you predicted that USC would lose at least 2 games this year. What happened oh great prognosticator?

so, a miracle play against ND kept me from being right....so what?

When UT beats USC, I will be the only one in here that was right about that in the preseason.

Texas A&M >> t.u. TexasAggie2005's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    ND beating USC wouldn't give them two losses.

And the idea is that if you throw enough crap at the wall, some of it's bound to stick. Even I might end up being right about a couple things if I make enough predictions.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    ND beating USC wouldn't give them two losses.

And the idea is that if you throw enough crap at the wall, some of it's bound to stick. Even I might end up being right about a couple things if I make enough predictions.

The UT win would have given them 2 losses, but it looks like only the 1st loss.

I do not make that many predictions...but when I do, they are usually right.

The last one was me getting every Spurs series correct last yr in predicting the exact number of games in every series.

The odds of doing that are 1/8x1/8x1/8x1/8= 1/4000( eight different possibilities in a seven game series)

That my friend is damn good, yes?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    The UT win would have given them 2 losses, but it looks like only the 1st loss.

I do not make that many predictions...but when I do, they are usually right.

The last one was me getting every Spurs series correct last yr in predicting the exact number of games in every series.

The odds of doing that are 1/8x1/8x1/8x1/8= 1/4000( eight different possibilities in a seven game series)

That my friend is damn good, yes?
    No. You're not so great at probability. The odds of predicting each series individually would be 1/8 if all possibilities were equal. They're not even close. You think the Spurs odds of beating the Nuggets in five were the same as the Nuggets sweeping the Spurs? I would peg picking all four series correct in the number of games at around 1/100 (rough estimate and being generous for you). Like I said, you throw enough crap at the wall, some of it sticks. I've seen plenty of predictions you've missed on.

And Texas has yet to beat USC. Not saying they won't, but let's wait and see before we count that as correct, okay?

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    No. You're not so great at probability. The odds of predicting each series individually would be 1/8 if all possibilities were equal. They're not even close. You think the Spurs odds of beating the Nuggets in five were the same as the Nuggets sweeping the Spurs? I would peg picking all four series correct in the number of games at around 1/100 (rough estimate and being generous for you). Like I said, you throw enough crap at the wall, some of it sticks. I've seen plenty of predictions you've missed on.

And Texas has yet to beat USC. Not saying they won't, but let's wait and see before we count that as correct, okay?
    Ok, if that is true, I will give you 100-1 odds on you picking 4 straight series this coming year.

You bet $100 and I will pay you 10K if you get all 4 correct...ok?

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Well, if Texas doesn't choke, they should make the le game.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Well, if Texas doesn't choke, they should make the le game.
    They will not choke...bank on it.

They already beat the crap out of Colorado, they will do it again.

My Team
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    Post Count
    You know I have to say. i am a huge notre dame fan and i have never been a big UT (mac brown, don't like him) fan, so i will make these observations.

UT looks really good. I keep waiting for their annual collapse and it does not look like it is going to come. USC is USC. I think the thing about USC is that they play to the level of their compe ion. So judging them against another team is pointless in my opinion.

I also think that if you give Pete Carrol a month to scheme his defense against texas that he will be successefull. Also USC still has a few starters injured on Defense they will be back for the championship game(assuming USC is in it)

But man every time I watch texas they look really good so who knows. I think it will be a great game.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    if only Texas had Carlyle Holiday

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    if only Texas had Carlyle Holiday
    And right when I was about to make some wise-ass comment on him being in SA working at the Wash Tub, I find this.

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/play....html?iid=1744

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    he sucked so bad
    he's from SA though so I can't scoff him
    If only he was a hispanic liberal spursfan who liked Wu-Tang, he would be like my idol

My Team
    Oregon State Beavers
    Post Count
    Jimcs will be proven wrong at the Rose Bowl. USC has more talent at the offensive skill positions than any college football I have ever seen. While it is true that their defense can be scored upon they are also very opportunistic. They force a lot of turnovers. The Trojans will have a difficult time against Cal, but if they get through that they will roll the rest of the way. Texas is good, but I can't see Vince Young delivering a national le.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Jimcs will be proven wrong at the Rose Bowl. USC has more talent at the offensive skill positions than any college football I have ever seen. While it is true that their defense can be scored upon they are also very opportunistic. They force a lot of turnovers. The Trojans will have a difficult time against Cal, but if they get through that they will roll the rest of the way. Texas is good, but I can't see Vince Young delivering a national le.

I think the only way to beat USC just happens to play into Texas' favor. Only one team tried to establish a running game against the Trojans, and that was Notre Dame - 52 carries. I know of course that teams down 35-7 at halftime generally throw the ball more, but keeping the SC offense off the field by pounding the running game looks like as good of a strategy as any.

Da da
    Da-da da-da
    Da-da da-dum
    Da-dum da-da

Da da
    Da-da da-da
    Da-da da-dum
    De-de-de-dum
    Da-dum da-dum
    Da da
    Da-dum da-dum
    Da daaaaaa

(Repeat over and over for three hours)

2nd Verse Same as the 1st Oh, Gee!!'s Avatar
    Post Count
    All I want is the chance to dethrone USC.

One for the Thumb
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    I love UT's matchup possibilites with USC. USC does not have a great defense, average at best. UT has the the 3rd best rushing offense in the country. I think UT could keep the USC offense off the field with time consuming/running game type drives, also added in is the way the UT offensive line would wear down USC's defense. I think that type of game plan would work very well, never give the USC offense a chance to find any kind of rhythm. I also don't feel that USC has come close to playing a team as deep and talented as UT. It would be a great match-up and one that will hopefully pan out in the near future. Hook'em!

My Team
    Oregon State Beavers
    Post Count
    texas vs. a team not named, because usc

is in the rose bowl

book it

???

Late 2nd round pick cecil collins's Avatar
    Post Count
    He pulled it out of his ass with all the other he says. He keeps a talkin' even though he is always wrong. I am also not dazzled with Jimcs50. You are more a braggart than a nostradamus. I've seen you be wrong plenty, but you only trumpet when you are right.

The rose bowl will be a shootout, unless Texas and Vince Young start off in a funk(as they sometimes do.) I don't think they can give up a big lead to USC and overcome it. Should be a of a game to watch. By the way, thanks Miami.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    Ok, if that is true, I will give you 100-1 odds on you picking 4 straight series this coming year.

You bet $100 and I will pay you 10K if you get all 4 correct...ok?
    Even if I thought you'd actually pay out, that wouldn't make the bet worth it. If I think there's a 1/100 shot and you give me 100-1 odds, the best I could do is break even (assuming my estimate is accurate). You should only bet when you think your odds are better than the betting odds. Congratulations, you still fail at probability.

How about instead of acting like a tough guy, you explain the math behind your 1/4000 odds or admit they're wrong? And again, you throw enough crap at the wall, some of it sticks. Stop bragging about a couple lucky picks, you've been wrong plenty of times.

Nostradamas Jr.
    Post Count
    Even if I thought you'd actually pay out, that wouldn't make the bet worth it. If I think there's a 1/100 shot and you give me 100-1 odds, the best I could do is break even (assuming my estimate is accurate). You should only bet when you think your odds are better than the betting odds. Congratulations, you still fail at probability.

How about instead of acting like a tough guy, you explain the math behind your 1/4000 odds or admit they're wrong? And again, you throw enough crap at the wall, some of it sticks. Stop bragging about a couple lucky picks, you've been wrong plenty of times.

The math is:

There are 8 different outcomes in a 7 game series.

Team A wins in 4, 5, 6, or 7 games

Team B wins in 4, 5, 6, or 7 games

So, you have 8 different ways to call a series.

Hence the 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 = roughly 1/4000 give or take.

Now as you said, SA was the favorite, so there was a slight deviation in the probabilities...but, there are upsets, so there still was a chance that SA could have lost to Denver in the 1st round.

BTW, I have 10k to bet...ask anyone who knows me, but it is stupid to bet a hundred at only 100-1 odds. you would be getting screwed.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    The math is:

There are 8 different outcomes in a 7 game series.

Team A wins in 4, 5, 6, or 7 games

Team B wins in 4, 5, 6, or 7 games

So, you have 8 different ways to call a series.

Hence the 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 = roughly 1/4000 give or take.
    You still fail. The odds of a sweep are much lower than the odds of a six game series. Besides, you're going to pick San Antonio every series just like the rest of us homers (not to mention the fact we were favored every series, which tilts the odds more than a "slight deviation"). That gets rid of half of your picks right there. I'd peg the odds of you picking the outcomes you did at 1/2 to 1/3 every series.

BTW, I have 10k to bet...ask anyone who knows me, but it is stupid to bet a hundred at only 100-1 odds. you would be getting screwed.
    Wooo, look at me, I'm rich. Good for you, quit trying to piss it away. And the bet would be bad for me because of the crappy odds, not the amount I'd be betting. The amount you bet has nothing to do with whether the bet is a good one or not. If you gave me 200-1 odds on something I thought had 1/100 chances of happening, it's a good bet no matter how much I put on it.

Thread Information