Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In this case there was a lot of room for improvement.

To answer the question, he doesn't have a great fadeaway because he bricked enough shots that teams were conceding straight-up jumpers to him. He never had to develop one. Dirk on the other hand. KD on the other hand. Bird on the other hand. Malone on the other hand. Olajuwon on the other hand. Etc.

When he average 29.6 he was only a 50.7 FG shooter.
    He is the greatest athletic specimen besides maybe Wilt to ever enter the league. So, yea, the potential was there.

The 40 ppg is already accounting for defensive adjustments. If we're talking about teams foolishly not doubling in hypothetical world, then the ceiling is much higher.
    if he had an unstoppable fade-away then he’d be the greatest basketball player ever since he was so dominant in other areas. Usually the fade-away gets developed out of necessity because the player needs it in order to get their shot off. Robinson’s quick step, speed and athleticism basically allowed to get the hole and finish or get around most all of the 90s post players that guarded him. They respected his ability enough that they would have to sag off of him when he was on the perimeter or else he’d get by them easier. When they’d sag off of him he’d hit his midrange jumper. When they’d get in his face he’d just go to the hole. And back and forth it went. When they’d get frustrated and foul him he’d hit his free throws. Tough guy to guard.

my main point is if he’d had a fade-away I don’t think he’d have to use it very much. The main reason he didn’t win more les was that he had no Pippen and he went through 6 coaches in 5 seasons or whatever it was.

robinson had tools in his toolset that dirk, The dream, bird, Malone, and even KD didn’t have. Not going to get in a debate about which players are better than which. Those players also had skills that DRob didn’t have too. But those guys needed to develop the fade-away because of the skills they did and didn’t possess. DRob didn’t really need it because the way defenses had to play him. It would’ve helped him against the dream and maybe Shaq but that’s about it. And DRob did good against them. He was 32-16 against the dream and 20-20 against Shaq.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    robinson had tools in his toolset that dirk, The dream, bird, Malone, and even KD didn’t have.
    And ultimately a worse offensive player than all of them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People forget that Prime 50 was the biggest greatest athletic freak of all times. No body like him before and none even close since(despite what sean says about that dude in Phoenix) too bad Red Let Brown go and didn't replace him with a competent head coach(Riley wanted the Job) That 89-90 team should have one 2 Chips with a coach like Riles or if Brown could have been reigned in. Then again if it doesn't happen the way it did for DRob Sa never sniffed Duncan. Red Mcombes. His being a good NBA owner was over when they built that ty ass Barn they call a Dome because he went full NFL mode in his mindset.

This is definitely news to me!! What happened with that situation? I remember Don Nelson wanting to follow Pop back to San Antonio after he took over as GM, but never heard anything about Riles being interested.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought we had a legitimate shot at Chuck Daly as well. The dude LOVED Robinson. Rodman would’ve listened to him as well helping us win the chip in 95
    Was this before or after his stint in Orlando? I could see him coaching the Spurs too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was this before or after his stint in Orlando? I could see him coaching the Spurs too.
    His 1999 season with Orlando was low-key underrated; tey didn't go far in the playoffs that year bt it was an improvement from 98

Also got the most of the Nets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you watch Dream Team games or All Star Games, it's obvious that Magic and Robinson had good cehmistry on the court

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right after his run ended with Detroit. Both Riley and Daly wanted to coach Robinson. They were both in love with him as a specimen. When two hall of fame coaches want to coach your star player then the most obvious hire is definitely George Lucas

**edit** Meant John Lucas. Though George Lucas probably would’ve done a better job seeing as he was just coming off of Indiana Jones

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right after his run ended with Detroit. Both Riley and Daly wanted to coach Robinson. They were both in love with him as a specimen. When two hall of fame coaches want to coach your star player then the most obvious hire is definitely George Lucas

**edit** Meant John Lucas. Though George Lucas probably would’ve done a better job seeing as he was just coming off of Indiana Jones
    Pat Riley was the feature of the first year of NBA on NBC and he and Chuck did a halftime piece where they talked over "Irish potato soup"(both Irish get it) and they talked openly about wanting to not coach david but all that scary young talent on that roster. Brown was still the coach in SA and Chuck was coaching the bad boys who were about to get their pushed in by Jordan as seen in "the last dance". The next year Pat went to the nicks. Chuck Stuck it out one more year with Detroit quit was AVAILABLE that summer and ended up with the NEW JERSEY ING NETS. THE NETS.

You can't tell me the Spurs couldn't have hired him the summer of 1992 if he signed with the ING NETS? It gets WORSE
    Chuck quit summer 1994 because he said the nets were to immature and busted THE SUMMER POOP TOOK OVER. He made some story up about wanting Don Nelson.

THAT. He blew an opportunity to get chuck pair him with Rodman and David so he could set himself up as the eventual coach by hiring weak sister HILL.
    Thanks for the insight!! Now that I think about it, with Dennis Rodman reunited with Chuck Daly in San Antonio, along with The Admiral, we would have won a championship or 2 back then. Another problem I remember us having was Red McCombs being so cheap and not wanting to spend the necessary money to put a championship team together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the insight!! Now that I think about it, with Dennis Rodman reunited with Chuck Daly in San Antonio, along with The Admiral, we would have won a championship or 2 back then. Another problem I remember us having was Red McCombs being so cheap and not wanting to spend the necessary money to put a championship team together.
    We apparently had a trade to get Charles Barkley but McCombs didn’t want to pay him. They also stupidly let Rod Strickland go and replaced him with AJ. Robinson had about the worst luck any superstar ever could have. Willie Anderson looked so promising and then he got hurt. TC got hurt again in a pick up game. Sean Elliot has bad knees/kidneys. Owner didn’t want to pay for a top coach bc he stupidly hired Tark. I know Tark was all the rage back then a land a great college coach but we had legit CHAMPIONSHIP coaches interested in the job.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We apparently had a trade to get Charles Barkley but McCombs didn’t want to pay him. They also stupidly let Rod Strickland go and replaced him with AJ. Robinson had about the worst luck any superstar ever could have. Willie Anderson looked so promising and then he got hurt. TC got hurt again in a pick up game. Sean Elliot has bad knees/kidneys. Owner didn’t want to pay for a top coach bc he stupidly hired Tark. I know Tark was all the rage back then a land a great college coach but we had legit CHAMPIONSHIP coaches interested in the job.
    I remember the Charles Barkley trade falling through. I even remember McCombs talking about a cost-cutting trade sending David Robinson to the Knicks for Patrick Ewing.

Pat Riley wanting the Spurs job makes sense given the fact that he was the Lakers coach when they tried to steal The Admiral from us to replace Kareem Abdul-Jabbar after he retired.

Tark was in over his head in the NBA. It's amazing how the Spurs went through 3 coaches that year and still won 49 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NICE!! This is another good one of him and MJ. Pics of Dave with Larry Bird are the toughest to find.

Thread Information