Page 2 of 108 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Making a comparison now is pretty pointless as we'll only see if Sweden's strategy worked if a second wave hits it's neighbors and Sweden avoids it.
    More hand waving and magical thinking from TSA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

#goalpostmove.gif
    The second wave argument is typically based off the Spanish Flu, but there's some details there that the second wave's lethality was actually a result of many factors:

Harris believes that the rapid spread of Spanish flu in the fall of 1918 was at least partially to blame on public health officials unwilling to impose quarantines during wartime.
    The public health response to the crisis in the United States was further hampered by a severe nursing shortage as thousands of nurses had been deployed to military camps and the front lines.
    https://www.history.com/news/spanish...ave-resurgence

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And one of the reasons I'm coming so hard at all the arguments to reopen the economy based on examples like Sweden, "cure is worse than the disease" logic, and such is because I find it morally reprehensible to force people back to work during a goddamn pandemic so that they can pay their bills and put food on the table when people like Jeff Bezos are making 40 billion in a month off of the pandemic and when Americans are collectively sitting on over a hundred trillion in assets.

I want these structural issues addressed that has resulted in our country not being able to care of our own during a time when they should be taken care of and not used as sacrificial lambs for the economy. And yes, there's enough out there to take care of those Americans who need it the most. This is also why essential workers are the biggest American heroes since World War II. Maybe in our total history. They, unfortunately, do have to work, just to keep society going. But an out-of-work bartender or hair stylist shouldn't be forced back into it to pay their bills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do so many here believe the reports are accurate? Every country, every state, has different reporting schemes.

Using this type of data to try to prove a point is, for the most part, pointless. Otherwise China stopped it dead in it's tracks. Just look how the cases and deaths flat lined suddenly.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And one of the reasons I'm coming so hard at all the arguments to reopen the economy based on examples like Sweden, "cure is worse than the disease" logic, and such is because I find it morally reprehensible to force people back to work during a goddamn pandemic so that they can pay their bills and put food on the table when people like Jeff Bezos are making 40 billion in a month off of the pandemic and when Americans are collectively sitting on over a hundred trillion in assets.

I want these structural issues addressed that has resulted in our country not being able to care of our own during a time when they should be taken care of and not used as sacrificial lambs for the economy. And yes, there's enough out there to take care of those Americans who need it the most. This is also why essential workers are the biggest American heroes since World War II. Maybe in our total history. They, unfortunately, do have to work, just to keep society going. But an out-of-work bartender or hair stylist shouldn't be forced back into it to pay their bills.
    Tough , we live a failed nation run by oligarchs and lots of us will die because of it. At least you have a competent state government that gives somewhat of a unlike most of us here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough , we live a failed nation run by oligarchs and lots of us will die because of it. At least you have a competent state government that gives somewhat of a unlike most of us here.
    Pretty much.

"Give them more tax cuts! It will 'trickle down' to the rest of us. Why do you hate success! He earned it by pulling himself up by his bootstraps."

https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...-the-us-2020-4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So setting aside your comically bad ignorance of basic geography, let's compare to peers, so that we can actually do some critical thinking for your lazy ass.

Sweden 10 M people
    Finland 5.53M
    Norway 5.4M

Since you are too ing stupid to understand how to compare things, let me explain the math. I'll try to use small words.

Total cases really are practically meaningless.
    What is more important is rate of infection per million people.

I will even do the math for you.
    Norway:
    7275/5.4M =1347
    187/5.4M =34

Finland
    4170/5.3M= 786
    149/5.3M =28

Sweden
    16755/10M= 1676
    2021/10M= 202

Sweden has a higher infection rate, and its fatality rate is more than SIX TIMES higher than it's peers.
    Going to be fun watching you get proven wrong when Finland and Norway get RAVAGED by the second wave in the fall while Sweden is immune to the Chinese virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It is morally reprehensible to force businesses to go bankrupt and people to lose their jobs. Suicides will e and people will starve. The Chinese have won. Way to go, RIP Western society.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

#goalpostmove.gif
    Goalpost move from what? I never once said I thought the US should take Sweden's approach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goalpost move from what? I never once said I thought the US should take Sweden's approach.
    Well we're getting ready to thanks to the head in your avatar.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Well we're getting ready to thanks to the head in your avatar.
    Trump is forcing states to open?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump is forcing states to open?
    States with Republican governors, yes, since he is the GOP. Even Trump's re ed rule about opening gyms of all places is a major part of our piece of governor Greg Abbott's early reopening plan. You obviously endorse the Sweden approach when you defend everything Trump on this site.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do so many here believe the reports are accurate? Every country, every state, has different reporting schemes.

Using this type of data to try to prove a point is, for the most part, pointless. Otherwise China stopped it dead in it's tracks. Just look how the cases and deaths flat lined suddenly.
    Your diffuse cynicism about the quality of reporting amounts to hand waving.

Why believe anything?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No accounting for anomalies

LOL Davdi Dump

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We still don't know for sure how warm weather and UV light affects transmission. And that is CA's ONLY inherent advantage vs. Sweden. Sweden has all the others with regard to pop density, working life, health of citizens, etc.
    The presumption is that it's like the flu in this regard.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No accounting for anomalies

LOL Davdi Dump
    Those aren't anomalies. The other countries have nursing homes too.

Why don't you what the elderly to count?

Show me your count without them in all the countries.

Or fold.

davdiderp

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    States with Republican governors, yes, since he is the GOP. Even Trump's re ed rule about opening gyms of all places is a major part of our piece of governor Greg Abbott's early reopening plan. You obviously endorse the Sweden approach when you defend everything Trump on this site.
    Find a post of me defending the Swedish approach and suggesting it for the US.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your diffuse cynicism about the quality of reporting amounts to hand waving.

Why believe anything?
    Do you believe the numbers out of China?

Statistical anomalies are called that for a reason.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New York has a farther southern la ude, you ing moron.

https://www.travelmath.com/cities/New+York,+NY

The la ude and longitude of New York, New York is:
    40° 42' 51" N / 74° 0' 23" W

Stockholm, Sweden
    La ude and longitude coordinates are: 59° 20' 4.5276'' N, 18° 3' 47.6640'' E

Cherry pick fail.

You didn't bother to look up the temps, did you?
    I assume you posted that meme to beat me to the punch.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So setting aside your comically bad ignorance of basic geography, let's compare to peers, so that we can actually do some critical thinking for your lazy ass.

T

Sweden 10 M people
    Finland 5.53M
    Norway 5.4M

Since you are too ing stupid to understand how to compare things, let me explain the math. I'll try to use small words.

Total cases really are practically meaningless.
    What is more important is rate of infection per million people.

I will even do the math for you.
    Norway:
    7275/5.4M =1347
    187/5.4M =34

Finland
    4170/5.3M= 786
    149/5.3M =28

Sweden
    16755/10M= 1676
    2021/10M= 202

Sweden has a higher infection rate, and its fatality rate is more than SIX TIMES higher than it's peers.
    Take out the nursing homes that got hit and you'll see much closer numbers.
    Sweden knew their numbers would be modestly higher. They also calculated that multiple shutdowns would decimate them.
    Now clutch your pearls that they made choices that led to more people dying in the short run.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take out the nursing homes that got hit and you'll see much closer numbers.
    Sweden knew their numbers would be modestly higher. They also calculated that multiple shutdowns would decimate them.
    Now clutch your pearls that they made choices that led to more people dying in the short run.
    Show us your numbers, dunnodavdiderp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Find a post of me defending the Swedish approach and suggesting it for the US.
    So you think Trump is ing up right now? Pick a lane.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    So you think Trump is ing up right now? Pick a lane.
    Trump isn't forcing states to open. Now find me a post of me defending the Swedish approach and suggesting it for the US. Or just join RandomGuy and pretend you didn't claim it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump isn't forcing states to open. Now find me a post of me defending the Swedish approach and suggesting it for the US. Or just join RandomGuy and pretend you didn't claim it.
    You're defending it right now.

Thread Information