Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My answer is we don't know if it's 0.5% because there are concerns our antibody tests may be giving a lot of false positives. Even if it is 0.5% under good conditions, it's not likely to stay there if we just treat things like business as usual and we have a ton of cases come at once. That was the whole point of flattening the curve, to keep the death rate from blowing up above what it would naturally be. That estimated death rate of 0.5% came from a month of lockdowns. Six feet of social disatancing in indoor dining rooms is a joke when have an example of someone getting COVID from another diner 15 feet away in a restaurant dining room. Your boy Trump also put gyms in Phase 1. What a joke, people in a confined area breathing hard, exhaling droplets way farther than 6 feet, but they're the most safe places to reopen first.

The idea that we're going to have the rapid V-shaped recovery Trump touts is questionable too. Just because dining rooms and movie theaters can be opened doesn't mean people are going to fill them like they did back in February. SARSCov2's rapid expansion through the US is killing our economy and until that's addressed this nation is likely boned economically.
    A lot to digest here. One, you keep on bringing Trump into this with me. Odd. Two, the consumer can decide whether they want to go to the gym (or any business) or not, governments dont need to hold our hands. (I do agree 100% that this shouldve been in a later phase reopening though). Three, we need to reopen to figure out how to navigate this disease, we wont ever be 100% operational without a vaccine (because large crowds), but staying in indefinite quarantine/lockdown is a bad call. It is a beautiful thing we have 50 states to experiment and try different tactics. Hopefully we find a middle ground so the fear mongering crowd can stop and the hoax crowd can also stop.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im arguing the fear over this virus is unwarranted and that we should return to normal with social distancing and masks.
    Which is what we're doing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is what we're doing.
    Then we are in agreement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then we are in agreement.
    I didn't agree with any of it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't agree with any of it.
    Then you think we shouldnt come out of lockdown and we are in disagreement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then you think we shouldnt come out of lockdown and we are in disagreement
    Without meaningful testing and tracing and clear benchmarks and goals, no.

This is way it will end up anyway and we're wasting time pretending it isn't.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot to digest here. One, you keep on bringing Trump into this with me. Odd. Two, the consumer can decide whether they want to go to the gym (or any business) or not, governments dont need to hold our hands. (I do agree 100% that this shouldve been in a later phase reopening though). Three, we need to reopen to figure out how to navigate this disease, we wont ever be 100% operational without a vaccine (because large crowds), but staying in indefinite quarantine/lockdown is a bad call. It is a beautiful thing we have 50 states to experiment and try different tactics. Hopefully we find a middle ground so the fear mongering crowd can stop and the hoax crowd can also stop.
    You cannot extricate Trump from the lockdowns. His piss-poor response is why we had them in the first place. More competent responses like South Korea's and Taiwan's haven't required them yet. Maybe they will have to in the future but that's an unknown for now. I don't understand you saying going to the gym should be a person's choice when you right after that said you didn't think they should be open yet. We already have a blueprint from South Korea for how to navigate the virus. The lockdown has been a disaster because there was no plan for it. We didn't sufficiently ramp up testing, we didn't ramp up contact tracing, another mostly wasted month from Trump. Instead of getting numbers down and then aggressively testing and contact tracing Trump just threw his hands up and basically said 'I haven't tried anything and I'm all out of ideas.' I know you don't want to talk Trump but he's the one in charge and it has been nothing but incompetence and malice from him and we're all paying for it. Especially disgusting is how he has been pitting the 50 states against each other in bidding wars and then seizing their PPE. I can't believe I live in a country where the governor of Maryland had to get tests from South Korea and then call in the national guard to make sure Trump didn't steal them.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without meaningful testing and tracing and clear benchmarks and goals, no.

This is way it will end up anyway and we're wasting time pretending it isn't.
    I disagree, it's not going to end up there, at least this year. There is no plan. There will never be a plan until god-willing January 20th, 2021.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, it's not going to end up there, at least this year. There is no plan. There will never be a plan until god-willing January 20th, 2021.
    Right. The only way a national response will come about it if Mitch feels the Senate is threatened and bullies Trump into working with Congress and the states. That might actually happen if the death count explodes in the right states.

Thread Information