Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    These MFers pissed David Dennison off to the highest degree of pisstivity. Had him tweet storming at 1am.

Truth (bombs) hurt, I guess

What will they come up with next?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

5.2 million views (and counting). I could see them strategically post ads like this as we get closer to the election.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's an amazing ad, but would have been better saved for October or November. Also inaccurate since the death count was nearly 70,000 by the time it released.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's an amazing ad, but would have been better saved for October or November.
    George Conway said there's more to come

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

He rates his response a 1?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol they threw in the "I was never involved in a model... at least not this kind of model"

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    May 5, 2020. 4:13pm EST:

70,272 Trump deaths (and counting)

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol they threw in the "I was never involved in a model... at least not this kind of model"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    George Conway said there's more to come
    Their other ads have been pretty ty. This was the one good one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...wpisrc=nl_most
    Trump’s unhinged rant about a new attack ad shows his weakness
    By Greg Sargent
    Opinion writer
    May 5, 2020 at 8:48 a.m. CDT

President Trump’s relentless focus on the most dire public health and economic crises in modern U.S. history must be excruciatingly stressful to him, which is surely why he took a short break Monday night to unleash an insane rant about a digital ad.

That rant comes as new reporting indicates that Trump is rebooting his reelection strategy, to move past the coronavirus and on to his plans to rebuild our economy in spectacular fashion.

But if you unpack the argument in Trump’s rant — yes, there really is an argument there — it actually points to profound weaknesses in his new reelection message, in a way that makes a real statement about the past decade of U.S. politics.

Trump’s Twitter explosion was directed at a brutal new ad created by the Never Trump Republicans at the Lincoln Project. Trump hurled childish insults at the group, which includes George Conway, husband of Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway.

Trump raged that he is a winner, while they are “LOSERS" who represent the GOP that Barack Obama beat in 2008 and 2012. In the 2016 primaries, Trump seethed, they “got BADLY beaten by me, a political first timer.”

In contrast to those losers, Trump fumed, he delivered for the GOP: two Supreme Court justices and the “biggest EVER Tax & Regulation cuts.”

But this very boast on taxes and regulations shows why Trump’s reelection case is so weak. It’s a reminder that as president, he fully embraced GOP plutocracy and sold out on the sham economic populism that, by his own mythology, enabled him to outdo all those Republicans. He is revealing the corrupt bargain he has since made with conservative economic elites.

The original idea was that Trump would win reelection in spite of that enormous betrayal. He would coast on the good economy he largely inherited, and falsely give his policies credit for it, thus obscuring their true plutocratic nature, paving the way for more plutocracy to come.

But the coronavirus has reduced those designs to smoldering ruins.

The new ad from the Lincoln Project captures this in extremely stark and vivid terms:

Trump is raging about “Mourning in America,” a play on Ronald Reagan’s upbeat 1984 reelection ad depicting America rising out of the ashes of the 1970s.

A more apt comparison is to Trump’s 2016 ads. The Lincoln Project spot repurposes imagery — rusted-out factories, stagnating small towns — that Trump used to portray “American carnage” in the industrial Midwestern and Appalachian heartlands.

But the new spot uses this imagery against Trump. It depicts the extraordinary economic calamity we’re sliding into, in part because the coronavirus rampaged out of control — requiring much more stringent economic lockdowns — due to his catastrophic failures.

The new strategy

As Bloomberg reports, this is forcing an overhaul of a reelection strategy premised on the good economy. The new line? Trump will rebuild the economy again, after having supposedly done so before:

The new campaign message is that he can rebuild the economy better than presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden, who the Trump camp argues co-piloted a sluggish rebound from the 2008 financial crisis, according to two officials familiar with the strategy.
    But this is a terrible argument. First, whatever legitimate criticisms there are of the Obama-Biden economic rescue, by just about every available metric Trump inherited the good pre-coronavirus economic trends from the last presidency.

One irony here is Trump hoped to run his own “Morning in America” campaign. He has constantly claimed he took over a smoldering economic scape and magically transformed it into a spectacular economic juggernaut.

But it will now be harder to pull off this lie. He will likely be held accountable for what he’s presiding over, as presidents often are. Voters may unfavorably compare the catastrophic status quo with the end of the Obama years.

Meanwhile, Trump has entirely squandered whatever “economic populist” cred he once enjoyed — making this reboot harder to pull off.

Trump’s 2016 argument was that he was not a Paul Ryan-style Republican. Trump would safeguard social insurance for the elderly, secure massive infrastructure spending and take on economic elites. He would use government power to protect people — or at least his voters — who were vulnerable to market forces, in a way other Republicans would not.

But he tossed all that aside. Trump’s massive corporate tax cuts were a boon to the rich and did little for workers. He badly undermined worker protections and tried to roll back the Affordable Care Act’s protections for millions. Trump and Republicans are still trying to destroy those protections amid a pandemic.

Indeed, Trump’s answer to the current catastrophe looks something like what Jedediah Britton-Purdy terms “disaster nationalism.” It’s a fusion of neo-Social Darwinist relaxation of social distancing, putting ordinary Americans and workers at terrible risk (see the ongoing carnage in meatpacking plants) with more tax cuts, shredded regulations and ethno-nationalist scapegoating of immigrants.

By contrast, former vice president Joe Biden is campaigning for a large expansion of health-care protections, plus various worker-focused proposals such as beefed-up labor market regulations and a $15-per-hour minimum wage. He’s vowing much more hands-on federal management of our reopening.

This isn’t the end of the story. As some writers — see Ryan Cooper and Jamelle Bouie — have noted, the unprecedented scale and nature of the crisis invite a debate over a far more robust social democratic transformation than either party represents. We’ll see whether Biden can craft a big enough agenda and argument.

But one thing that’s clear is that Trump is in an awful position to wage this battle. He has thrown away the very qualities that (by his own lights) enabled him to outdo those other Republicans. And the very things he boasted of in his rant — tax cuts and deregulation — confirm this perfectly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump doesn’t know the difference between mourning and morning?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He rates his response a 1?
    Ok Perico

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump doesn’t know the difference between mourning and morning?
    He's illiterate, so he limps along with Donnybonics, and his own tone-deaf, anti-vernacular, anti-idiomatic, malapropism-istic English dialect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh stupid partisan

2 idiot groups bickering on top of 80 thousand dead americans

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meh stupid partisan

2 idiot groups bickering on top of 80 thousand dead americans

to be fair-

trump made it political- when he held nazi press sprays and attacked governors and forced them to bid against each other and against the federal govt

then rewarding red states and filling their stockpiles- while making blue state governors kiss his fat ass to save their citizens

when he got rid of scientists who would tell the truth and promoted the ones who played his politics while misinforming the american people - he made it political

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

He's illiterate, so he limps along with Donnybonics, and his own tone-deaf, anti-vernacular, anti-idiomatic, malapropism-istic English dialect.

Thread Information