Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gee I wonder why? I sure don't recall you complaining this much during the championship years.
    No, because back then Spurs had that championship mentality

Duh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duh
    Duh championship mentality in Bertrans words = dictatorship vs. wizard democracy... pick a line bro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So once again I'll ask this. Once Forbes goes to a team and he gets points but then he comes out and says the Pop is the greatest ill that make that true as well. I wouldn't mind moving on from Pop but dudes hate the dude because he's an alpha I just don't understand it.
    Don't worry, the only team that will give Forbes any chance in the NBA is Spurs / Pop.
    When Pop is gone, this scrub will be out of the league quickly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duh
    Or maybe the Spurs had the big 3 and #2 back then. Duh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or maybe the Spurs had the big 3 and #2 back then. Duh
    Well if they still had that championship mentality they wouldn't have traded Kawhi for a bag of chips and given contracts to Fatty Mills

Duh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't all sports dynasties have star players and "ridiculous role players"?
    They do but their coaches certainly don't get the same praise as coach Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They do but their coaches certainly don't get the same praise as coach Pop.
    They actually do, its just your hate for Pop kinda blinds you to the fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if they still had that championship mentality they wouldn't have traded Kawhi for a bag of chips and given contracts to Fatty Mills

Duh
    Are schtick and exstatic the same poster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bunch of soft ass nigs around here.

You wanna grow? Be better than you were yesterday?

Then don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think what Pop did for 2 decades--getting talented players to buy into team ball, less touches and even bench roles, was truly amazing. But I agree with you guys that a different approach is now needed. Pop's shtick has run it's course.
    That's just the nonsense the media has sold the masses because of the lack of a stereotypical superstar/star to sell. The reality is, he lucked into Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Parker, for their personality just like he did their talent.

Also, don't confuse the "beautiful game" team with the entire Duncan era, when it was a mere segment of it. Aesthetically, this was very much a typical NBA team in his prime.

It's been so so. I'm fasting because of ramadan.

The lack of sports is killing me man.

And to add to the Bolded,
    just because the wizards are atrocious doesn't mean they're doing everything wrong. They're obviously doing something really well with Bertans otherwise he wouldn't be happy.

I don't get why it's so hard to admit that the organization screwed up and the biggest culprit is an antiquated cultural system that relies on "cultural knoweldge" instead of actual value in the basketball court.

Multiple things can be true simultaneously. As I've said ad nauseam, nothing excuses S bag's behavior, which left them unable to get anywhere near the value they should have. But even had they changed with the times, he probably leaves anyway and either way, they probably fail to attract another superstar. Still, they didn't give themselves their best chance.

Bunch of soft ass nigs around here.

You wanna grow? Be better than you were yesterday?

Then don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone.
    Sounds nice . . . too bad the best players run the league and if a non glamour market, with a bad reputation among them, wants any chance to retain/attract them in the future, they better start playing ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis Bertans can take his lanky, no-rebounding, finger-missing ass and go suck my balls.

Never talk badly about the team that birthed you.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

That's just the nonsense the media has sold the masses because of the lack of a stereotypical superstar/star to sell. The reality is, he lucked into Robinson, Duncan, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Parker, for their personality just like he did their talent.

Also, don't confuse the "beautiful game" team with the entire Duncan era, when it was a mere segment of it. Aesthetically, this was very much a typical NBA team in his prime.

Multiple things can be true simultaneously. As I've said ad nauseam, nothing excuses S bag's behavior, which left them unable to get anywhere near the value they should have. But even had they changed with the times, he probably leaves anyway and either way, they probably fail to attract another superstar. Still, they didn't give themselves their best chance.

Sounds nice . . . too bad the best players run the league and if a non glamour market, with a bad reputation among them, wants any chance to retain/attract them in the future, they better start playing ball.
    You don't think there is any vetting involved before future spurs come aboard?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't think there is any vetting involved before future spurs come aboard?
    Sure, but what does that have to do with anything?

The reason they have a standard for what a Spur is, is because of the aforementioned players gave the organization the credibility to demand certain things that every other franchise in sports would have loved to have been able to do, but they didn't have those players to uphold it, while guaranteeing being an elite team in the process.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Sure, but what does that have to do with anything?

The reason they have a standard for what a Spur is, is because of the aforementioned players gave the organization the credibility to demand certain things that every other franchise in sports would have loved to have been able to do, but they didn't have those players to uphold it, while guaranteeing being an elite team in the process.
    Well, all that being said, I do think CIA Pop is able to get a good gauge on players just by meeting with them...listening to their answers and reading their body language. Foundational standard in place or not, I think he can tell who's who.

Of course Kawhi turned on him, so I could be wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve yet to work for a company or organization that was a “democracy”. Did I weigh in? Sure. Did I feel my voice was heard, absolutely. But come on, you have to look at what the Wizards are and have been doing over the past decade.
    The best organizations at least gather feedback or have mechanisms in place for it. Do you get retaliated against and demoted bc you made a suggestion? Honestly? Are you afraid to speak out?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis Bertans can take his lanky, no-rebounding, finger-missing ass and go suck my balls.

The truth hurts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh championship mentality in Bertrans words = dictatorship vs. wizard democracy... pick a line bro
    The time Bertans was in the Spurs specially the time they needed minutes from him the Spurs weren't winning squat and probably benefited from the bottom teams in their conference getting injuries to significant players, the Mavs rebuilding, Grizzlies falling off etc.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The time Bertans was in the Spurs specially the time they needed minutes from him the Spurs weren't winning squat and probably benefited from the bottom teams in their conference getting injuries to significant players, the Mavs rebuilding, Grizzlies falling off etc.
    Bull that Spurs team last year would mop the floor with this years Grizzlies and Mavericks. Stop hating and taking for bums. Davis had is chance is the Denver series not only did he get abused on defense he couldn't hit shots and was afraid to take shots at times. As much as y'all hate Forbes the reason why had so much leeway this season was because he was one of the only players in that series last year to show some heart and ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

when you read the article Bertrans is actually not talking badly about the Spurs on the contrary but people likes ing about ing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does not change anything about what is being discussed here.
    Bertrans commented that Spurs are more or less a dictatorship focused on winning rings while wiz are more of a democracy focused on losing I suppose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oooppps forgot the sensibilities of spurs fans tbh welcome back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does not change anything about what is being discussed here.
    Bertrans commented that Spurs are more or less a dictatorship focused on winning rings while wiz are more of a democracy focused on losing I suppose
    You know that is not what he said. I quoted it. I didn't make it up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oooppps forgot the sensibilities of spurs fans tbh welcome back
    Nah it has nothing to do with being sensitive. That's the first thing people go to when they're wrong about a topic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot this can also get never ending which is not really for me. Lets make this 50 pages back and forth about the same thing right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know that is not what he said. I quoted it. I didn't make it up.
    what did he say then ?

I have from the interview:

1) "I think the biggest difference is, probably, there might be a little bit more democracy in the Wizards than in San Antonio. Mostly, what Pop (Popovich) says that goes,"

Spurs = dictatorship
    Wizard = democracy

2)
    "Another difference is San Antonio they were in the playoffs, well before I got there, 18 years in a row. Wizards been in and out. I think the difference might have been that mentality going into training camp," he said. "In San Antonio, we're not talking about going to the playoffs. We're talking about winning a championship on day one. The whole preparation is for winning a championship. And that's the mentality they've had for a long time."

Spurs = winning mentality
    That winning winning mentality is a difference with wizards

Conclusion = Spurs is not a democracy, you don't disagree with pop and Spurs are about winning.. Wizards is more of a democracy and they don't have the winning mentality

the fact that the years Bertrans was playing for the Spurs they were winning squat and blah blah Dallas has nothing to do with that conclusion

Thread Information