Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Archie
    ...but to with that dirty bastid Karl Malone. He got to play with a HOF guard his entire career and he didn't win jack. Now he's trying to piggyback on the Lakers and ride his way to a ring. F that.

David Robinson has 2 rings and he left the game on top with the team that drafted him. There's nothing sweeter than that.

DuffMcCartney
    Malone is nothing of what he was....if not for Kobe and Shaq he wouldnt have a chance in to win a ring.

TexasBlue13
    My theory...the Spurs beat the Bucks. They beat the Lakers. They beat the Jazz. Putting all the guys on one team...meaning they have to share...isn't going to be THAT much more of a challenge for an already deep and talented team. Yeah yeah, they're going to "break the 72-win record and cruise to the championship"...maybe I'll be totally wrong, but I don't buy it. They'll be good, but they won't walk on water.

DuffMcCartney
    I agree with Blue, everybody is so scared of them but I'm not. I'm not being y but I'm also not afraid.

gunawanspurs
    My takes :

Karl Malone & Gary Payton decision to forego the chacing and go for the BLING is understandable, and in my personal perspective, respectable.

If they do it by letting their ego aside, and working hard to fit into the team's structure, they'll be remembered as important contributors for the supposed winningful season the next.

Might not be the main dogs anymore, but DRob got his rings partially by riding TD's back, so there's no shame on that.

You WILL be remembered as a CHAMP and great player, not just merely a stat creating machine !

D Fish
    I think the only way to describe this season, is just being silent, and serious. Alot of teams are upgrading, and when it's all said and done, the Elite 4 teams could be something special. Not just any kind of special, but 80's ball hungry for a championship special.

As for the Eastern Conference; They should be ing ashamed of themselves. They had an abundance of elite gaurds, and now three of them are moving to the West. Not only does the West have all the elite Bigs, but now they have most of the elite gaurds now. It's like the entire Eastern Conference is rebuilding and most of the teams in the West are mixing it up for a championship.

Admiral
    DRob got his rings partially by riding TD's back -gunawanspurs
    Riding TD's back? You do remember David's defense in 1999, don't you? You do remember the fact that he was our leading rebounder and second-leading scorer in the Finals, don't you? Tim played great, but we would not have won in 1999 without David.

1999 NBA Finals

Game 1 - 13 points, 9 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks
    Game 2 - 16 points, 11 rebounds, 5 blocks, 4 assists
    Game 3 - 25 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks
    Game 4 - 14 points, 17 rebounds, 4 blocks
    Game 5 - 15 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals

That's a pretty heroic performance if you ask me. Hardly riding anyone's coattails. In addition, if we had Webber this year instead of David, we wouldn't have won the le. He did an amazing job on Shaq. I believe baseline bum stated this very fact several weeks ago.

Ghost Writer
    Robinson would retired with jack sh1t if not for Tim Duncan.

Malone was always "the man" on the Jazz.

He's en led to try to win a ring elsewhere after an All-Star career.

You can't fault him for taking a paltry $1.5 million to give it a try.

spurster
    Well, Tim Duncan wouldn't have two rings without David Robinson around, either.

It is utter BS to say that anybody is en led to a ring. It's good to win one or more, but Malone will be the fourth best player on a team, hardly the same as winning one when you're the leader.

Ghost Writer
    Get serious, spurster, Robinson was the second best player on the 1999 le team and the third best on the 2003 team.

If Robinson doesn't go down in 1996, we're a lottery team today and The Admiral is labelled soft and not good enough to be a part of a le team.

Malone is "en led" to pursue his quest for a ring after years of loyal servitude to Utah.

He's taking a lousy $1.5 million to go for the ring.

Should he have just meandered around in Utah for the rest of his career?

Did it ever occur to you that him leaving helps Utah move forward, too?

Have some unbiased perspective.

bigzak25
    Let karl get chump change (NBA perspective) for a chance at a ring. Good for him.

It will be a very sweet sight to knock out LA again...at least Karl will have a good reason to cry.

spurster
    Get serious, spurster, Robinson was the second best player on the 1999 le team and the third best on the 2003 team.
    Are you saying that Tim Duncan would have had two rings without David Robinson?
    If Robinson doesn't go down in 1996, we're a lottery team today and The Admiral is labelled soft and not good enough to be a part of a le team.
    This is the same old BS saying that your career is worthless unless you won the le. George Gervin never won a le, yet he is loved in San Antonio. When are we going to get our priorities straight and realize that Gervin was just a worthless bum?

The Spurs won one, and many Spurs fans are still complaining. It doesn't seem that winning the le is all that fulfilling to the whiners.
    Malone is "en led" to pursue his quest for a ring after years of loyal servitude to Utah.
    I guess the NBA should set up a designated championship team every other year or so, so that we don't have poor, mistreated, broken-hearted stars retire without a ring.

Give me a break. These guys have been media stars and made millions playing a game. I can't generate much sympathy for them.

Uncle Donnie
    Malone played with the best PG in the league his entire damn career, on a team that always made him the man. I have no sympathy for him not getting it done. I hope he goes out like Barkley.

GP on the other hand, I can sympathize with. I just wish it wasn't the damn Lakers he pinned his hopes on.

Archie
    Here, Ghost:

Malone played with the best PG in the league his entire damn career, on a team that always made him the man. I have no sympathy for him not getting it done. I hope he goes out like Barkley.
    Amen Uncle D. DRob never had anyone of Stockton's caliber to play with during 1989-96. Malone couldn't get it done despite that. Now Ghost the resident tool/DRob hater thinks Malone did something special. F'in idiot.

Ghost Writer
    Archie, you poor S.O.B.

Malone made it to two Finals as the best player on his team.

Robinson made it to exactly none as the best player on his team.

If Malone wants to take $1.5 million to play a complementary role in pursuit of a le, that's his preoggative. He could've kept the Jazz treading water by re-signing and break Kareem's record instead. He's choosing to lay it all on the line for a ring.

Stop hating.

Find something else to b1tch about.

MadeFromDust
    One of the sad things is that if we had made Payton #1 instead of Kidd, he would have come to SA. He was just so happy that LA wanted him. And that would also mean that Malone would have most likely stayed in Utah since he needed GP to commit before he went to La La Land. GP would have been glad to come to the Spurs. He said so when he was about to leave the Sonics earlier this season. He said he hopes the Spurs come after him. Oh boy.

Archie
    WTF? Do you not read, Ghost? DRob never had a Hall of Fame guard to play with in 1989-96 like Malone did for his entire ing career up until now. I didn't realize that you held AJ in such high regard.

Uncle Donnie
    Malone made it to two Finals as the best player on his team.
    Put Stockton on the Spurs and you don't think Robinson could have done the same thing? Get real.

Ghost Writer
    What's your f'n point?

What do you wnat Malone to do?

Re-sign with the Jazz, keep them from progressing, and have him bever win a le?

Archie, you're a miserable poor sport.

Sorry, but Malone did what was best for him and the Jazz.

You poke fun at him for never winning a ring, while Robinson need Duncan to get him his les.

Grow up.

Archie
    Shut up tool. You hate on the Spurs all the damn time and you offer no intelligent analysis whatsoever when it comes to this team. Become a Laker fan already.

Ghost Writer
    "Casper has exposed me for the miserbale crank I am and came back with nothing I can refute, so let me get all mad like the little b1tch I am." — Archie

Malone is doing the right thing for him and the Jazz.

How you can have a problem with that now, too, is pathetic.

Archie
    You wish, Ghost. No one respects your knowledge lite-takes at all in this forum. I've yet to see you even attempt to answer a question on the cap. Or figure out the Spurs cap figure. You bring nothing to this forum. Everyone else laughs at your ass. I can't blame them. They've seen what I knew from the beginning.

DreamShake
    Archie, you poor misguided grasshopper...

Malone just had the ill luck to play against fricking Michael Jordan in the two finals he carried his team to. If Duncan and Robinson had made it to the Finals against those Bulls squads instead of the Knicks and Nets, would Robinson have two rings?

Say it with me now: NO.

There are far more variables in play when judging a player's career than your poor mind will ever comprehend, so just STFU and go play with your Duncan bobblehead. Malone has twice the heart and desire that Mr. "It's Just a Game" Robinson ever did.

GhostWriter has it right.

Morphgizmo
    *bump*

Archie
    Well well well if it isn't my #1 fan. Yeah, DRob had a Vinny Del Negro to count on in that backcourt. Yeah.

DRob had some supporting casts he was expected to carry to a tile.

Never once did he have any teammate of the caliber of John Stockton, clown.

Go look it up.

Thread Information