Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I did turn on a person to these cauliflower tempura who initially thought it was nice white fish.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We are carnivores, it is in our nature. Nothing wrong with killing in order to nurture ourselves. It is what it is.

I guess a case could be made in terms of the unnatural situations some animals are raised and killed in order to feed humans, but one has to wonder what's more traumatic for an animal: having a quick painless death at the hands of humans, or being chased around by predators and having a scary, painful, slow death in the wild?

Sport hunters can go themselves though, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We are carnivores, it is in our nature. Nothing wrong with killing in order to nurture ourselves. It is what it is.

I guess a case could be made in terms of the unnatural situations some animals are raised and killed in order to feed humans, but one has to wonder what's more traumatic for an animal: having a quick painless death at the hands of humans, or being chased around by predators and having a scary, painful, slow death in the wild?

A case could be made that we’re not truly carnivores as we have to cook most meat to eat it. That’s pretty unnatural.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    A case could be made that we’re not truly carnivores as we have to cook most meat to eat it. That’s pretty unnatural.
    We cook most vegan food too. Not only that, we even have to artificially create or alter a lot of that food too.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

No, omnivores.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

Good post, but
    That is more accurate. I do love my vegetables too ya know.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    A sad side effect to the vaunted "conquering" of fire by humanity.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good post, but

That is more accurate. I do love my vegetables too ya know.
    You got the point, tbh.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Rule #1) Love yourself before all else.

Diehard veganism is a scam and arguably as unhealthy as a carnivorous-only diet.

At the end of the day, humanity is the master species of this planet. Top of the food chain. Chickens are chickens, fish are fish, sheep are sheep, etc. They are meant to be herded and consumed. If you're a human, you capitalize, and don't limit yourself unless absolutely necessary to your own survival.
    Even if true, there's humane ways of treating animals (including how they are killed) and there are non humane ways.
    We should not be accepting barbaric practices in this day and age.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Even if true, there's humane ways of treating animals (including how they are killed) and there are non humane ways.
    yep. that's how i came to where i am now.

i dont have any ethical qualms about eating meat in the abstract or anything like that.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Generally the guillotine treatment, or any form of decapitation resulting in instant death without suffering, is considered humane.

Torturing an animal to death is obviously both wrong and a waste of time and resources, but some Chinese people have said that it makes the meat taste better. I don't know about that.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Generally the guillotine treatment, or any form of decapitation resulting in instant death without suffering, is considered humane.

Torturing an animal to death is obviously both wrong and a waste of time and resources, but some Chinese people have said that it makes the meat taste better. I don't know about that.
    The Chinese are ed up in the heads. I could tell you about videos of them being barbaric towards animals, but I frankly don't want to glorify their behavior in any way.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    The Chinese are ed up in the heads. I could tell you about videos of them being barbaric towards animals, but I frankly don't want to glorify their behavior in any way.
    I've seen 'em. Especially what they do with dogs. A lot of them believe dogmeat is better and heartier when tortured.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

It’s not the mode of execution that is the issue. I mean really, just take 10 minutes and google around about factory farming

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It’s not the mode of execution that is the issue. I mean really, just take 10 minutes and google around about factory farming
    I think you said you were OK eating fish. From what I understand, a very large % of fish are raised in farm situations. So how do you personally justify that?

I do get it. For some reason, it's hard to feel sorry for a fish as compared to the cows and pigs you might see in a factory farming video.
    But isn't it the same thing?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I think you said you were OK eating fish. From what I understand, a very large % of fish are raised in farm situations. So how do you personally justify that?

I do get it. For some reason, it's hard to feel sorry for a fish as compared to the cows and pigs you might see in a factory farming video.
    in some respects it is... and yeah i typically eat salmon which is frequently farmed. while i think at this point it's pretty conclusive that fish feel physical pain, i dont think we have much evidence, if at all, that they feel psychological pain whcih is a big part of factory farming too. keeping animals confined in small areas, etc. it's like when you close a door and the dog sits behind it weeping... that gets to me. i dont know that fish are capable of that kind of pain.

that distinction might not matter to me as much as at some point, but as of now, it kinda does.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    in some respects it is... and yeah i typically eat salmon which is frequently farmed. while i think at this point it's pretty conclusive that fish feel physical pain, i dont think we have much evidence, if at all, that they feel psychological pain whcih is a big part of factory farming too. keeping animals confined in small areas, etc. it's like when you close a door and the dog sits behind it weeping... that gets to me. i dont know that fish are capable of that kind of pain.

that distinction might not matter to me as much as at some point, but as of now, it kinda does.
    Fair enough.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    i could also just be rationalizing for my own convenience. time will tell

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green

So in november 2014 I had to sleep in the living room of my uncle's ranch house and his dog slept in the kitchen... he was 15 years old and had bad sleep apnea, obesity and other conditions, and his snoring was awful, so I'd leave him outside in the cold just so I can sleep

The other time I think it's justified is if they do something they know they're not supposed to do, like poop or pee inside or annoy a stranger.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i could also just be rationalizing for my own convenience. time will tell
    I hear you though. I've gone through periods of not eating meat but still justifying fish and eggs. As for home, we try to buy "cage free" or "sustainable farmed" or whatever. Even though I think those are probably just meaningless labels in many cases.

But beef and chicken are pretty easy for me to pass on 99% of the time. Fish would be much harder for me to quit.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I hear you though. I've gone through periods of not eating meat but still justifying fish and eggs. As for home, we try to buy "cage free" or "sustainable farmed" or whatever. Even though I think those are probably just meaningless labels in many cases.

But beef and chicken are pretty easy for me to pass on 99% of the time. Fish would be much harder for me to quit.
    agreed

you're better off just buying the 99 cents a dozen jumbo "grade A" eggs.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    agreed

you're better off just buying the 99 cents a dozen jumbo "grade A" eggs.
    We have a neighbor that has a bunch of chickens so we get free fresh eggs. And I'll say definitively that there's a huge difference in taste between those and what we get in the grocery store.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    We have a neighbor that has a bunch of chickens so we get free fresh eggs. And I'll say definitively that there's a huge difference in taste between those and what we get in the grocery store.
    Well that always helps when you have that. Unless there's a bird flu pandemic like in (2006?), of course. Also, you probably get them pretty cheap from a neighbor because no logistics/warehousing costs.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    College
    LSU Tigers

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I knew I was justified. Awesome.

Thread Information