Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jordan, Pip, and Rodman all stayed vs the mighty San Antonio Astericks

Harper vs AJ obviously Harp
    Ellie vs Jordan
    Pip vs Elliott closer but nod goes to Pip
    Duncan vs Rodman. A nice match up for the Asterix. Duncan obviously the better player but Rodman would be able to guard him one on one which helps with the Bulls defense overall

Robinson vs Longley: a closer match up than you would think. Big Dave is obviously a legend (at losing to Run TMC) and he is the better player but at that point he was no longer the offensive weapon he used to be. Longley would be able to stick with him and keep Dave to a respectable box score. Something like 17 and 8.

Overall I give the nod to the GOAT MJ but it would be an intriguing series. Bulls in 5 close ones

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs win.

Pippen is a s by 99.. he was s by the finals of 98..
    Jordan is 36 By June of 99.
    Duncan would be too dominant.
    David wanting that Ring so badly..
    Spurs were dominant on D just like the Bulls.. Points at a premium. Who's helping Jordan?
    Bulls just older and wore out..

Spurs in 6..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan vs Rodman. A nice match up for the Asterix. Duncan obviously the better player but Rodman would be able to guard him one on one which helps with the
    Rodman for the Lakers only played in 23 games, and was released in 1999. Basketball was about 10th on his list of priorities. Duncan would have eaten his ing Lunch..

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah an old Rodman vs a prime young Duncan, no matchup at al. I mean it's just stat lookups, but many players declined the following season, some quite a bit. I'd have money on Spurs.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With all the injuries Pippen dealt with in 1998 I'd probably take the 99 Spurs over the 98 Bulls much less a hypothetical 99 Bulls team with a finished Rodman and Kukoc taking Pippen's place (no way he was staying). Even if Pippen stayed he was never the same player after that injury plagued 1997-98. the 98 Jazz should have won that Finals after that dagger three Stockton hit with 39 seconds in Game 6 to go up three, and they would have if Malone didn't choke that ball away to Jordan up 1 with like 16 seconds left. Now the 97 Bulls would have smoked the 99 Spurs in five or six.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I think Longley is the only player that doesn't return. He received a huge contract from the Suns

I prefer the Bulls chances of finding bodies to bang down low versus the Spurs finding someone to guard Jordan coming off arguably his greatest season. Imagine how many mercenaries would have been jumping at the chance to be part of 4-peat

Avery, Elie and Elliot were out of the NBA within 2 seasons. Pippen was still starting in the WCFs and Harper starting on the NBA champs. Also Kerr wouldn't be on the Spurs bench.

Classic series of strength vs weakness

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    think Longley is the only player that doesn't return. He received a huge contract from the Suns

I prefer the Bulls chances of finding bodies to bang down low versus the Spurs finding someone to guard Jordan coming off arguably his greatest season. Imagine how many mercenaries would have been jumping at the chance to be part of 4-peat

Avery, Elie and Elliot were out of the NBA within 2 seasons. Pippen was still starting in the WCFs and Harper starting on the NBA champs. Also Kerr wouldn't be on the Spurs bench.

Classic series of strength vs weakness
    I don't see it. Pippen was never the same player after having back surgery in the summer of '98. Not even close. Upper level starter, yeah... but the franchise player he was in Chicago for the previous six or seven years? No way. He never looked like the same agile and athletic player he was in Chicago after that surgery. And that's assuming he would even have signed to stay there, which is hardly a given with all the bad blood between him and Krause. Rodman after the lockout? He was horrible and didn't even last 25 games in LA after Shaq begged Jerry West to sign him. Duncan and Robinson would have massacred him. And the league MLE was really low that season, $1.75 million. They would have just been able to get another Luc Longley and that's pretty much it with that kind of money. And 98 was nowhere close to one of Jordan's best years. Maybe best storyline, but he escaped Utah by the skin of his nuts in 98 and would have had to play an even bigger role in 99 as the one elite player on the team. A lot to ask out of a 35 year old who had just played three Finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls were never ever to contain Olajuwon. Imagine them trying to contain Duncan AND Robinson. Plus all the wear and tear from 3 straight championship runs. Bulls probably don't even make it to the finals (although, come to think about it, the East was pretty ty in 99).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls were never ever to contain Olajuwon. Imagine them trying to contain Duncan AND Robinson. Plus all the wear and tear from 3 straight championship runs. Bulls probably don't even make it to the finals (although, come to think about it, the East was pretty ty in 99).
    The East still had the same teams that made the Bulls road to their les so God-damned difficult. Miami, Indiana and New York were all still good squads. New York wasnt a true 8 seed, they'd have finished 5 or better in a full season. Answer's Sixers were starting to come of age as well.

99 was probably the last time the East was still close to the West in quality of compe ion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Bulls would actually have to make the playoffs. I got the Spurs who won the championship in '99.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    99 was probably the last time the East was still close to the West in quality of compe ion.
    Disagree, discounting the huge disparity in talent between the Spurs and anybody in the East that year, the Blazers would have also mopped the floor with whoever came out of the East with their size. Lakers probably would have also. The 98 Pacers were a great team but Reggie Miller fell off bigtime in 99 and it seemed like Mark Jackson became such a ballhog in the post that year. I was never impressed with that Miami team either. Ewing was a s of his former self by then but I still remember him sonning Mourning in some critical games that series.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    If Allen Houston's jumper doesn't clank in, then the Heat surely make a run to the Finals. Rough draw for them to face a rival with so much in common in the 1st Round

1999 Heat
    C: Mourning
    PF: Brown
    SF: Mashburn
    SG: Majerle
    PG: Hardaway
    Bench: Terry Porter and Terry Mills

Only Porter was on his last legs. This might have been their best team. They were 4th in SRS for the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Allen Houston's jumper doesn't clank in, then the Heat surely make a run to the Finals. Rough draw for them to face a rival with so much in common in the 1st Round

1999 Heat
    C: Mourning
    PF: Brown
    SF: Mashburn
    SG: Majerle
    PG: Hardaway
    Bench: Terry Porter and Terry Mills

Only Porter was on his last legs. This might have been their best team. They were 4th in SRS for the season.
    That Heat team wasn't . Should have never come to Allan Houston's shot. Miami lost because Tim Hardaway was so ty the entire series and Ewing played a great defensive Game 1 and then actually outplayed Mourning overall in Game 5. Old man Ewing can't outplay the #2 MVP candidate in an elimination game. And god I forgot how horrible Hardaway was until I went and looked up the stats. What a ridiculous choke from him. And then Majerle was even worse, what a cluster of a series he had. Miami Majerle was nowhere near as good as Phoenix Majerle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jordan, Pip, and Rodman all stayed vs the mighty San Antonio Astericks

Harper vs AJ obviously Harp
    Ellie vs Jordan
    Pip vs Elliott closer but nod goes to Pip
    Duncan vs Rodman. A nice match up for the Asterix. Duncan obviously the better player but Rodman would be able to guard him one on one which helps with the Bulls defense overall

Robinson vs Longley: a closer match up than you would think. Big Dave is obviously a legend (at losing to Run TMC) and he is the better player but at that point he was no longer the offensive weapon he used to be. Longley would be able to stick with him and keep Dave to a respectable box score. Something like 17 and 8.

Overall I give the nod to the GOAT MJ but it would be an intriguing series. Bulls in 5 close ones
    The biggest thing working against the Bulls would be like ~300 games played the previous 3 seasons. Dynasties kill themselves due to exhaustion, like the 2003 Lakers. Spurs in 6.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rodman for the Lakers only played in 23 games, and was released in 1999. Basketball was about 10th on his list of priorities. Duncan would have eaten his ing Lunch..

I was wondering how KA forgot that.

S Pippen. S Rodman. So, pretty much a return to MJs early career: him vs. everyone.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That piece of said “the mighty San Antonio asterisks” lmao piece of .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know what im wondering who do you have for the 2004 finals an all star Lakers team or the Pistons? Hmmm i wonder who would sweep.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That's the series right there. Rodman seemed very disinterested even at the end of 98. Can't see him checking Tim one-on-one in 99.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its hard... I think the fact that the following season was shorter because of the lockout, don't think the wear and tear the bulls had would have been pronounced. But It would have been tough for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest thing working against the Bulls would be like ~300 games played the previous 3 seasons. Dynasties kill themselves due to exhaustion, like the 2003 Lakers. Spurs in 6.
    It's nice to speculate, but the bottom line is Pippen was gone no matter what. He was sick of being underpaid.. But even if he stayed, 99 Pippen as we saw is not a difference maker anymore..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    prime bulls would beat prime spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    prime bulls would beat prime spurs.
    Yes 96 or 97 Bulls would smoke the 99 Spurs. 98 Bulls I'm not so sure about with Pippen's injuries, and a hypotehtical past its prime 99 Bulls team that somehow brought everyone back wouldn't have a very good chance against 99 Duncan & Robinson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was wondering how KA forgot that.

S Pippen. S Rodman. So, pretty much a return to MJs early career: him vs. everyone.
    Admittedly my arguments have so many what if’s but one of them is that Rodman would be kept in check out of respect for MJ. I think the dude would’ve been focused enough to really want that 4th le. I know he fell off a cliff in LA but when your leader is Shaq, theres really not enough leadership for Rodman to listen. I mean who was he going to respect? Shaq never won and had zero MVPs at the time, Kobe was a pup, and (that was when Rudy got sick right?) so I think Del was the coach

As far as Pip goes, he was about as done as Elliott but I gotta give the edge to him over Sean.
    The X-factor is really Kukoc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Admittedly my arguments have so many what if’s but one of them is that Rodman would be kept in check out of respect for MJ. I think the dude would’ve been focused enough to really want that 4th le. I know he fell off a cliff in LA but when your leader is Shaq, theres really not enough leadership for Rodman to listen. I mean who was he going to respect? Shaq never won and had zero MVPs at the time, Kobe was a pup, and (that was when Rudy got sick right?) so I think Del was the coach

As far as Pip goes, he was about as done as Elliott but I gotta give the edge to him over Sean.
    The X-factor is really Kukoc
    So Rodman was going to respect Tim Floyd? outta here. Phil Jackson quit a week after their 98 le and Krause was badly itching to hire Floyd by then.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Spurs win.

Pippen is a s by 99.. he was s by the finals of 98..
    Jordan is 36 By June of 99.
    Duncan would be too dominant.
    David wanting that Ring so badly..
    Spurs were dominant on D just like the Bulls.. Points at a premium. Who's helping Jordan?
    Bulls just older and wore out..

Spurs in 6..
    This team destroyed the compe ion just a year before. So in your mind the Bulls decline so hard, that a spurs team win were a better jazz team could not...... *i doubt that*

Thread Information