Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Post play, Hakeem had the speed and agility to take his defenders off the dribble and score at the rim. He was better at it than Tim. His moves in the post were unstoppable just about.
    Someone needs to look up film of prime Tim Duncan. His faceup game was incredible and he could take almost anyone off the dribble from the high post. , even on 1 knee he was turning and facing effectively from 15 ft and in. Speed means almost nothing in low post play, btw, so not sure what you're getting at there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope Wilt Chamberlain was the most dominate.
    Nar - the more he tried to score & break individual records (scoring, assists) the worse his team did.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Someone needs to look up film of prime Tim Duncan. His faceup game was incredible and he could take almost anyone off the dribble from the high post. , even on 1 knee he was turning and facing effectively from 15 ft and in. Speed means almost nothing in low post play, btw, so not sure what you're getting at there.
    That’s the difference. “Almost”. Hakeem could take anyone off the high post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s the difference. “Almost”. Hakeem could take anyone off the high post.
    I said almost because I don't like dealing in absolutes, and I don't think he'd try against SFs. I can't think of any 4 or 5 that Timmy couldn't take off the dribble from the high post. The Wallaces, KG, Shaq, Camby, etc. Can you?

Anyway, point being that even if one were to give Hakeem the edge as a scorer because of his FT shooting and slightly better low post game, the difference isn't as great as you've suggested. Where there is a great difference between the two is in showmanship. Hakeem's game was flashier

Btw, another key element to offense is passing ability, and Timmy is one of the best passing bigs of all time.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Lol slightly better. Nobody could handle Dream when he had it going

Last edited by Michael Jordan.; 05-27-2020 at 09:48 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol slightly better. Nobody could handle Dream when he had it going

He didn’t have it going often enough. Take a look at how often his Houston Rockets got dumped out of the playoffs unceremoniously. He didn’t make his teammates better often enough. Not like Tim Duncan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan destroyed Robinson in practice
    Hakeem destroyed Robinson in games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn’t have it going often enough. Take a look at how often his Houston Rockets got dumped out of the playoffs unceremoniously. He didn’t make his teammates better often enough. Not like Tim Duncan.
    No HOF teammate in 1994

Also went against Ewing, Robinson and Shaq during his le runs so basically the other best players at his position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, Tim was much better, but his knee injury really slowed him down. Probably comparing a crippled TD with Hakeem is more on the ballpark.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hold up, are people here actually arguing that Tim Duncan was better than Hakeem? Duncan is my favorite player of all time, but even I know Hakeem is better. I'm not a ing fool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as much as I hate Tony Parker, I will agree that he's better than Kenny Smith. And Ginobili is obviously better than Vernon Maxwell. Do we agree on that? Oh yeah, and Robinson in 99 is better than Thorpe in 94. These things aren't debatable. With no other HOF teammates in 94, became the only player in history to win MVP, finals MVP, and DPOY in same season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hold up, are people here actually arguing that Tim Duncan was better than Hakeem? Duncan is my favorite player of all time, but even I know Hakeem is better. I'm not a ing fool.
    It's pretty much a consensus that Tim Duncan is a top 7 or 8 player of all time. If you think there's no comparison then you're basically implying that Hakeem is top 4 or 5 player of all time which is indeed very foolish, given that during most of his career it wasn't even a consensus that he was better than guys like Barkley, Malone, and yes even Robinson and Ewing.

During that era there was Jordan and everbody else, before 94 and 95, It wasn't even settled who the best center was between Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing. But literally two playoff series changed his status as being arguably the best center of his era to he's better than guys like Duncan, Shaq, and Jabbar. It's fine if you think he's on their level, I just don't agree with this 'way better' crap that people are throwing around based almost entirely on two playoffs.
    Last edited by TD4THREE; 05-28-2020 at 02:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scoring. Free throw shooting. Post play. Steals. Ability to guard 1-5. Agility. Speed. Footwork.
    oh you are talking about their .5 pts gap in their scoring stat ? you sir are a rocket fan
    There is nothing in what you are cherry picking showing that Hakeem is more "skilled" in any shape or form than Tim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem WAS more talented, stop being a bunch a homers

But Duncan aged better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as much as I hate Tony Parker, I will agree that he's better than Kenny Smith. And Ginobili is obviously better than Vernon Maxwell. Do we agree on that? Oh yeah, and Robinson in 99 is better than Thorpe in 94. These things aren't debatable. With no other HOF teammates in 94, became the only player in history to win MVP, finals MVP, and DPOY in same season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh, Tim was much better, but his knee injury really slowed him down. Probably comparing a crippled TD with Hakeem is more on the ballpark.
    People always miss this point when they compare TD to any other player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem WAS more talented, stop being a bunch a homers

But Duncan aged better
    here another fluffy concept.. talented..

Duncan aged better despite his blown up knee ? I guess with a good knee during his whole career this would not even be a debate then...

more talented
    more skilled
    narratives... Duncan has already the better silverware let us give to rocket fans the talented, skilled stuff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here another fluffy concept.. talented..

Duncan aged better despite his blown up knee ? I guess with a good knee during his whole career this would not even be a debate then...

more talented
    more skilled
    narratives... Duncan has already the better silverware let us give to rocket fans the talented, skilled stuff
    Hakeem was more skilled
    Better footwork better passer better defender its not a debate and it’s shouldn’t be a debate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got what

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem was more skilled
    Better footwork better passer better defender its not a debate and it’s shouldn’t be a debate
    Better passer? Better footwork? Are you kidding me? I'll give you better defender, but they both had phenomenal firework (just different styles) and GTFO with this better passer nonsense.

Passing is the one thing that Timmy clearly did better than Hakeem. He used to regularly close games with his passing ability. , he closed 2 series in the 2003 playoffs with triple doubles/double figure assists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Hakeem did in 94 was incredible, no doubt. And you'll hear no arguments a from me about Manu's contribution from 2005 and on, but people forget how much Tony struggled in his first 2 championship runs with us.

2003 playoffs PER: 11.9
    2005 playoffs PER 12.0

The league average for PER is set at 15. Those numbers are TERRIBLE. Sam Cassell played much better for the Rockets in their 2 les than Tony did in 2003 and 2005. , even Kenny did

That 94 team had no other all star, but Sam Cassell was a very good player at that time, and Robert Horry was a great role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real question is how good at basketball really was Alvin Robertson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What Hakeem did in 94 was incredible, no doubt. And you'll hear no arguments a from me about Manu's contribution from 2005 and on, but people forget how much Tony struggled in his first 2 championship runs with us.

2003 playoffs PER: 11.9
    2005 playoffs PER 12.0

The league average for PER is set at 15. Those numbers are TERRIBLE. Sam Cassell played much better for the Rockets in their 2 les than Tony did in 2003 and 2005. , even Kenny did

That 94 team had no other all star, but Sam Cassell was a very good player at that time, and Robert Horry was a great role player.
    i'm not disagreeing with you at all in 03.. The 03 finals, Kidd tore his ass up. From games 4-6, he was Kidd's .

I think Hakeem and Duncan are both top 10 players(I never thought Kobe was and I still don't), but if I had a choice betwen the 2 all time, I'm going with Hakeem, though you can't go wrong with either. And for the record once again, Duncan is my all time favorite player. . One thing's for sure, Jordan aint winning a le with the 94 Rockets or 03 Spurs in Duncan or Hakeem's spot.

Thread Information