Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just came across this article about a Sirius XM interview Mario Elie did this past Thursday, where he was asked to pick between Tim Duncan and Hakeem Olajuwon. Of course this is no surprise, especially since TD has been heavily discredited over the last week. Anyway, here's a link to the article if you want to read it:

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/202...an-tim-duncan/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think thats discrediting TD. 1 on 1, I'd probably give an edge to Hakeem. He was a monster. I think TD had the better career and made an impact far longer than Hakeem did.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow another former teammate discrediting TD to build up somebody else.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think thats discrediting TD. 1 on 1, I'd probably give an edge to Hakeem. He was a monster. I think TD had the better career and made an impact far longer than Hakeem did.
    Maybe not in this case, but what Shaq, Stephen Jackson, and Bruce Bowen all said last week about TD most certainly was.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well I have to agree with Elie on this one

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem was in god mode for two seasons and I'll say he had better offensive skills. TD was better over his career IMO. We shouldn't get all busted up over former players' opinions while no games can be played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem might've been the most dominant big man in his prime outside Shaq tbh, but Duncan's prime lasted much longer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA needs to come back these dumb hypothetical versus question are getting annoying

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    He probably was more skilled. But Tim was still better. People overrate the out of Hakeem because of two GOAT level years but dude fell of a cliff hard not long after

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh I guess.. I feel like Hakeem gets overrated TBH.. He was great no doubt. But I don't have him ahead of Duncan or Shaq. And 2nd tier on all time centers..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very similar career paths.

Dream's first 11 seasons were HOF worthy - 1985-1995.
    Same for TD - 1998-2008.

Both of their last 7 or 8 years were up and down, but Duncan had better personal and team success.
    It's the latter that makes it hard to compare. Not to mention one player had five years battling in rough and tumble 80s NBA. Hakeem himself was involved in a dozen fights based on YouTube videos I've seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horry said the same thing tbh. The hits just keep coming for Jim. By the time his HOF speech comes around he’s gonna be 3rd fiddle to KG. Look for the KG over Duncan articles to come out where they interview former players. “If you give KG the same situation as Tim, he gets 5 rings too.”

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horry said the same thing tbh. The hits just keep coming for Jim. By the time his HOF speech comes around he’s gonna be 3rd fiddle to KG. Look for the KG over Duncan articles to come out where they interview former players. “If you give KG the same situation as Tim, he gets 5 rings too.”
    If you give Tim the same situation as KG, he gets 5 rings too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing clown should give back his 99 ring

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hakeem was more skilled, Shaq was more dominant, Bird was more clutch etc etc etc. A number of players in their "prime" were better for a short spell.
    Duncan did it longer than any of them. Consistency was his #1 attribute. Hurt his knee and just kept cruising. None of the others did.
    Thats why he's GOAT

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Honestly, don't see it. If it's true, they are like 1 and 1A.

Elie should probably watch the 2003 Finals vs the Nets. Duncan put up playstation numbers in that series. Pretty much carried the team on his back the same way Hakeem did.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they should ask who’s the best at winning

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, don't see it. If it's true, they are like 1 and 1A.

Elie should probably watch the 2003 Finals vs the Nets. Duncan put up playstation numbers in that series. Pretty much carried the team on his back the same way Hakeem did.
    Most players are like casual fans, relying on a combination of counting stats and flashiness to form opinions.

For some reason, Olajuwon's '94 and '95 runs are mythologized, but Duncan's '99 and '03 ones are largely forgotten. In general, the pre tendonosis version is. All the seem to remember is the one legged, "culture" and "system" version.

Blame the media for beating this nonsense into the masses psyche and them for being so easily brainwashed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask the Admiral about Hakeem's 'Dream Shake"? But like others have mentioned in this thread, Tim gets my nod just for his longevity of greatness over a long career, much longer than Olajuwon.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe but Duncan has more rings. Count them.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Most players are like casual fans, relying on a combination of counting stats and flashiness to form opinions.

For some reason, Olajuwon's '94 and '95 runs are mythologized, but Duncan's '99 and '03 ones are largely forgotten. In general, the pre tendonosis version is. All the seem to remember is the one legged, "culture" and "system" version.

Blame the media for beating this nonsense into the masses psyche and them for being so easily brainwashed.
    Yet you should check out Dream’s series against Kareem in 86.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    they should ask who’s the best at winning
    Or who had the better coach and organization

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Hakeem was more skilled, Shaq was more dominant, Bird was more clutch etc etc etc. A number of players in their "prime" were better for a short spell.
    Duncan did it longer than any of them. Consistency was his #1 attribute. Hurt his knee and just kept cruising. None of the others did.
    Thats why he's GOAT
    Having a prime Manu and Ginobli both helped his longevity. Along with Pop resting him on back to backs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably true - definitely more skilled than Shaq. But they're both better - Shaq was the most dominant offensive big man of all time, Duncan was more consistent & performed at a higher level for longer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or who had the better coach and organization
    Did you even know who Popovich and Buford were before Duncan arrived? He made them, just like all great players make coaches/GM's . . . it all of about 5 minutes after he retired for them to not look so smart anymore.

The fact that they remained in contention and won a championship (without another superstar/star) while in the midst of retooling was a testament to Duncan not needing them.

Thread Information