Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    'I think lockdown saved no lives'

Image source: YouTube screenshot
    CHRIS ENLOE
    Stanford School of Medicine Professor Michael Levitt, who won the 2013 Nobel Prize in Chemistry, says the strict lockdown measures imposed to combat the coronavirus pandemic may have cost more lives than they saved.

"I think lockdown saved no lives," Levitt said on Saturday, The Telegraph reported.

"I think it may have cost lives. It will have saved a few road accident lives, things like that, but social damage — domestic abuse, divorces, alcoholism — has been extreme. And then you have those who were not treated for other conditions," he explained.

Levitt correctly predicted the scale of the pandemic, which most models, such as the widely publicized model from Imperial College, grossly overestimated. Those overestimations resulted in unnecessary "panic," Levitt said.

"I think that the real virus was the panic virus," Levitt said. "For reasons that were not clear to me, I think the leaders panicked and the people panicked and I think there was a huge lack of discussion."

Instead of mass lockdowns, which have been ongoing for several months across most of the globe, Levitt has advocated for developing "herd immunity."

In a separate interview earlier this month, Levitt explained:

I think the policy of herd immunity is the right policy. I think Britain was on exactly the right track before they were fed wrong numbers. And they made a huge mistake. I see the standout winners as Germany and Sweden. They didn't practise too much lockdown and they got enough people sick to get some herd immunity.

I see the standout losers as countries like Austria, Australia and Israel that had very strict lockdown but didn't have many cases.They have damaged their economies, caused massive social damage, damaged the educational year of their children, but not obtained any herd immunity.

There is no doubt in my mind, that when we come to look back on this, the damage done by lockdown will exceed any saving of lives by a huge factor.
    Unfortunately, Levitt's observations are already proving true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The study's results have provided further fuel for the critics of the Swedish approach. With 39.26 deaths per 100,000, Sweden's mortality rate is not only higher than that of the U.S. (29.87 deaths per 100,000) but also exponentially higher than those of its neighbors Norway (4.42 per 100,000) and Finland (5.56 per 100,000), which both enacted strict lockdown measures, according to data from Johns Hopkins University...."

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/25/86192...miologist-says

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The study's results have provided further fuel for the critics of the Swedish approach. With 39.26 deaths per 100,000, Sweden's mortality rate is not only higher than that of the U.S. (29.87 deaths per 100,000) but also exponentially higher than those of its neighbors Norway (4.42 per 100,000) and Finland (5.56 per 100,000), which both enacted strict lockdown measures, according to data from Johns Hopkins University...."

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/25/86192...miologist-says
    Measures of who bungled their nursing homes the most.

Thanks, Democrat governors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Measures of who bungled their nursing homes the most.

Thanks, Democrat governors.
    You're an idiot

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Levitt is full of BULL

Sweden is the obvious counterexample

and USA's joke-y, extortionate, culture-war re-opening is already seeing the cases plateauing overall and INCREASING in red states, instead of continuing to decline from social-distancing.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 05-26-2020 at 05:15 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're an idiot
    Why don't those stats differentiate based on nursing homes whenever we're talking about measures for society as a whole?

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Levitt is full of BULL

Sweden is the obvious counterexample

and USA's joke-y, extortionate, culture-war re-opening is already seeing the cases plateauing overall and INCREASING in red states, instead of continuing to decline from social-distancing.
    Nobel prize winner for modeling Chemical reactions sticks his nose into deeper water.
    it’s happened before. We have had various physicists claim that blacks are inferior and they know nothing about intelligence testing or genetics or brain function.

but hey they won a Nobel prize just like Yassir Arafat.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CNN reports cases increasing in 18 states, esp esp red/slave states that are "re-opening"

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobel prize winner for modeling Chemical reactions sticks his nose into deeper water.
    it’s happened before. We have had various physicists claim that blacks are inferior and they know nothing about intelligence testing or genetics or brain function.

but hey they won a Nobel prize just like Yassir Arafat.
    Lol you

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Dr. Trump said they want doctors that agree with dr. Trump.

Looks like they got a guy. Can’t wait to hear the grilling this guys gonna get.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobel Prize winners bad now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobel prize winners great in the fields of expertise where they won their nobel prizes

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ducks with the good news exposing the PLANDEMIC hoax virus

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People are scared to be wrong. Truth and reality scares the out of people. So much that they rather avoid it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when ducks will post the nobel prize scientists explaining why lockdowns may have saved more lives ?

speaking of ducks, hope this pos follow his leader, drink bleach, take chloro and go outside in large people segregation tbh... if the covid could serve only the purpose of whipping his ass that would be a silver lining

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobel prize winners great in the fields of expertise where they won their nobel prizes
    You mean Neil Ferguson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean Neil Ferguson?
    you think my comment about nobel prize winners was referring to a guy that wasnt a nobel prize winner?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you think my comment about nobel prize winners was referring to a guy that wasnt a nobel prize winner?
    No. I think you were trying to discredit the opinion of someone who isn't in the field, which you were, by making the point that only experts in the field of epidemiology or virology could be correct.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. I think you were trying to discredit the opinion of someone who isn't in the field, which you were, by making the point that only experts in the field of epidemiology or virology could be correct.
    experts in the field aren't the only ones who can be correct. they are just the most likely to reach their conclusions by a sound understanding of the actual variables at play and the training to analyze and interpret those variables. they could still end up wrong, and somebody taking an uneducated shot in the dark may be right. doesnt mean i'm not going to defer to experts

whether or not ferguson was a hypocrite/asshole is irrelevant to whether or not his assessments were right or wrong

if the person who discovered that cigarette smokers are more prone to lung cancer himself continued to smoke, that wouldnt make his findings inaccurate.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    experts in the field aren't the only ones who can be correct. they are just the most likely to reach their conclusions by a sound understanding of the actual variables at play and the training to analyze and interpret those variables. they could still end up wrong, and somebody taking an uneducated shot in the dark may be right. doesnt mean i'm not going to defer to experts

whether or not ferguson was a hypocrite/asshole is irrelevant to whether or not his assessments were right or wrong

if the person who discovered that cigarette smokers are more prone to lung cancer himself continued to smoke, that wouldnt make his findings inaccurate.
    I'm specifically stating he was incorrect. As many in the field would agree, and have agreed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm specifically stating he was incorrect. As many in the field would agree, and have agreed.
    what was he incorrect about, specifically?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what was he incorrect about, specifically?
    Imperial College epidemiologist Neil Ferguson’s model became the point of influencing lockdown policies.

Ferguson backtracked on his model’s accuracy just
    weeks later after the projections tanked. The swing and miss on COVID-19 Ferguson predicted 200 million would die from
    the bird flu in 2005--deaths totaled 455. In 2009 Ferguson predicted 65,000
    people would die in the U.K. from swine flu—the death toll was 392.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imperial College epidemiologist Neil Ferguson’s model became the point of influencing lockdown policies.

Ferguson backtracked on his model’s accuracy just
    weeks later after the projections tanked. The swing and miss on COVID-19 Ferguson predicted 200 million would die from
    the bird flu in 2005--deaths totaled 455. In 2009 Ferguson predicted 65,000
    people would die in the U.K. from swine flu—the death toll was 392.
    as far as im aware their models on covid were initially based on "no mitigation" which obviously isnt the case, and has been adjusted accordingly as new data rolled in

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as far as im aware their models on covid were initially based on "no mitigation" which obviously isnt the case, and has been adjusted accordingly as new data rolled in
    Much of the concern stems from the weight placed by ministers on a report published on March 16 by a team of epidemiologists at Imperial College, London led by Neil Ferguson. Not only did this do ent warn that, unchecked, the virus could kill 510,000 people, it counselled that even with the government’s then preferred strategy of “mitigation”, more than 250,000 would die, with the National Health Service rapidly becoming wholly overwhelmed.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like you're right.

A few days after the U.K. changed its policies, Neil Ferguson, the scientist who led the Imperial College team, testified before Parliament that he expected deaths in the U.K. to top out at about 20,000. The drastically lower number caused shock waves: One former New York Times reporter described it as “a remarkable turn,” and the British tabloid the Daily Mail ran a story about how the scientist had a “patchy” record in modeling. The conservative site The Federalist even declared, “The Scientist Whose Doomsday Pandemic Model Predicted Armageddon Just Walked Back the Apocalyptic Predictions.”

But there was no turn, no walking back, not even a revision in the model. If you read the original paper, the model lays out a range of predictions—from tens of thousands to 500,000 dead—which all depend on how people react.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-right/609271/

Thread Information