Page 110 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 4073
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article from the New York Times. a clip:

For most white Americans, interactions with the police happen rarely, and they’re often respectful or even friendly. Many white people don’t know a single person who’s currently behind bars.

In many black communities — and especially for black men — the situation is entirely different. Some of the statistics can be hard to fathom:

Close to 10 percent of black men in their 30s are behind bars on any given day, according to the Sentencing Project.
    Incarceration rates for black men are about twice as high as those of Hispanic men, five times higher than those of white men and at least 25 times higher than those of black women, Hispanic women or white women.
    When the government last counted how many black men had ever spent time in state or federal prison — in 2001 — the share was 17 percent. Today, it’s likely closer to 20 percent (and this number doesn’t include people who’ve spent time in jail without being sentenced to prison). The comparable number for white men is about 3 percent.
    The rise of mass incarceration over the last half-century has turned imprisonment into a dominant feature of modern life for black Americans. Large numbers of black men are missing from their communities — unable to marry, care for children or see their aging parents. Many others suffer from permanent economic or psychological damage, struggling to find work after they leave prison.

A recent study by the economists Patrick Bayer and Kerwin Kofi Charles found that 27 percent of black men in the prime working years of their lives — between the ages of 25 and 54 — didn’t report earning a single dollar of income in 2014. “That’s a massive number,” Charles, the dean of the Yale School of Management, told me. Incarceration, including the aftereffects, was a major reason.

The anger coursing through America’s streets over the past week has many causes, starting with a gruesome video showing the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. But that anger has also been building up for a long time. It is, in part, anger about incarceration having become normal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    interactions with police are often friendly???

In what planet?

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count

In what planet?
    That’s a very true statement tbh.......if you’re white.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

For most white Americans, interactions with the police happen rarely, and they’re often respectful or even friendly. Many white people don’t know a single person who’s currently behind bars.

In many black communities — and especially for black men — the situation is entirely different. Some of the statistics can be hard to fathom:

Close to 10 percent of black men in their 30s are behind bars on any given day, according to the Sentencing Project.
    Incarceration rates for black men are about twice as high as those of Hispanic men, five times higher than those of white men and at least 25 times higher than those of black women, Hispanic women or white women.
    When the government last counted how many black men had ever spent time in state or federal prison — in 2001 — the share was 17 percent. Today, it’s likely closer to 20 percent (and this number doesn’t include people who’ve spent time in jail without being sentenced to prison). The comparable number for white men is about 3 percent.
    The rise of mass incarceration over the last half-century has turned imprisonment into a dominant feature of modern life for black Americans. Large numbers of black men are missing from their communities — unable to marry, care for children or see their aging parents. Many others suffer from permanent economic or psychological damage, struggling to find work after they leave prison.

A recent study by the economists Patrick Bayer and Kerwin Kofi Charles found that 27 percent of black men in the prime working years of their lives — between the ages of 25 and 54 — didn’t report earning a single dollar of income in 2014. “That’s a massive number,” Charles, the dean of the Yale School of Management, told me. Incarceration, including the aftereffects, was a major reason.

The anger coursing through America’s streets over the past week has many causes, starting with a gruesome video showing the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. But that anger has also been building up for a long time. It is, in part, anger about incarceration having become normal.
    Politicos, both sides, love to talk about criminal justice reform, and it never happens. At some point you reap what you sow.

You can't read that, have an ounce of integrity and make the claim that black lives matter the same as everybody else.

My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Politicos, both sides, love to talk about criminal justice reform, and it never happens. At some point you reap what you sow.

You can't read that, have an ounce of integrity and make the claim that black lives matter the same as everybody else.
    I’m guessing CC’s takeaway from that is more along the lines of “black men need to quit breaking the law so much!”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "
    In many black communities — and especially for black men — the situation is entirely different.

Some of the statistics can be hard to fathom:

• Incarceration rates for black men are about twice as high as those of Hispanic men, five times higher than those of white men and at least 25 times higher than those of black women, Hispanic women or white women.

• When the government last counted how many black men had ever spent time in state or federal prison — in 2001 — the share was 17 percent.

Today, it’s likely closer to 20 percent (and this number doesn’t include people who’ve spent time in jail without being sentenced to prison). The comparable number for white men is about 3 percent.

The rise of mass incarceration over the last half-century has turned imprisonment into a dominant feature of modern life for black Americans.

Large numbers of black men are missing from their communities — unable to marry, care for children or see their aging parents.

Many others suffer from permanent economic or psychological damage, struggling to find work after they leave prison.

A recent study by the economists Patrick Bayer and Kerwin Kofi Charles found that 27 percent of black men in the prime working years of their lives — between the ages of 25 and 54 — didn’t report earning a single dollar of income in 2014. "

--NY Times email

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gofundme link for big George's daughter

https://www.gofundme.com/f/gianna-fl...rge-floyd-fund

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The 13th Amendment (1864) permits slavery of prisoners, so freed blacks, after emancipation, were jailed for bull charges, like loitering, and put back to work as slaves.

Dept of "Corrections" ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Joe Biden vows to address ‘ins utional racism,’ meets with black leaders amid unrest

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation...sfmc_id=665585

====================

"Joe Biden, who was one of the principal architects of de-industrialization and

responsible for the loss of hundreds of thousands of good, union jobs.

Biden and Bill Clinton also destroyed our welfare program,

where 70 percent of the recipients were children, and

orchestrated the doubling of our prison population and

the tripling and quadrupling of sentences.

Biden, as Naomi Murakawa points out in “The First Civil Right: How Liberals Built Prison America,” was

a driving force behind the notoriously harsh penalties in the Anti-Drug Abuse Acts of 1986 and 1988, and

the three-strikes legislation in the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994,

which also provided funding for 100,000 new police officers and the aggressive prosecution of 60 new capital crimes.

He sponsored legislation to dramatically curtail the ability of those in prison to appeal and

led the passage of the Federal Death Penalty Act of 1994 and

The Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act of 1996.

He oversaw the militarization of the police and

the massive expansion of death-eligible crimes, which he has repeatedly bragged about.

Biden was also at the forefront of the re-segregation of our public school system and

has repeatedly called for cuts to Social Security.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...n-ruling-class

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well no

Isnt this why we have a rebellion right now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The upperclass white male is indoctrinated from a very young age to be obedient and not question authority. Nothing new.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we all agree;

That that went down in Minnesota was just ing wrong. Those 4 cops killed that guy.

Can we also agree that peaceful protests are fine as long as they are just protests and dont block freeways etc?

Can we all agree that rioting and looting are counter productive and diminish the effectiveness of the protests?
    In other words, I'm more concerned about the quality of my drive, than my fellow citizens rights being trampled by my government.

You don't give a flying about the effectiveness of the protests, if you did you would participate. If things stay exactly the same for another 50 years it wouldn't trouble you in the slightest (so long as nobody blocks your road, whether they be protesting injustice or have a ty car and bad spatial awareness)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team Leader Stephen Jackson doing Team Leader tings

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is from Washington, DC... not sure how it differs on other states.

(b) Whoever without justifiable and excusable cause, assaults, resists, opposes, impedes, intimidates, or interferes with a law enforcement officer on account of, or while that law enforcement officer is engaged in the performance of his or her official duties shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be imprisoned not more than 180 days or fined not more than $1,000, or both.
    Yup. The Supreme Court has ruled that it's a crime to say an unfavorable word to a police officer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything is better now. Yesterday’s black squares saved us tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

In what planet?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The media that works in lockstep with Democrats is working on their new narrative.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A letter to Defense Secretary Mark Esper
    By James N. Miller

Hon. Mark T. Esper

Secretary of Defense
    The Pentagon
    Washington, D.C., 20301

Dear Secretary Esper,

I resign from the Defense Science Board, effective immediately.

When I joined the Board in early 2014, after leaving government service as Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, I again swore an oath of office, one familiar to you, that includes the commitment to “support and defend the Cons ution of the United States . . . and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same.”

You recited that same oath on July 23, 2019, when you were sworn in as Secretary of Defense. On Monday, June 1, 2020, I believe that you violated that oath. Law-abiding protesters just outside the White House were dispersed using tear gas and rubber bullets — not for the sake of safety, but to clear a path for a presidential photo op. You then accompanied President Trump in walking from the White House to St. John’s Episcopal Church for that photo.

President Trump’s actions Monday night violated his oath to “take care that the laws be faithfully executed,” as well as the First Amendment “right of the people peaceably to assemble.” You may not have been able to stop President Trump from directing this appalling use of force, but you could have chosen to oppose it. Instead, you visibly supported it.

Anyone who takes the oath of office must decide where he or she will draw the line: What are the things that they will refuse to do? Secretary Esper, you have served honorably for many years, in active and reserve military duty, as Secretary of the Army, and now as Secretary of Defense. You must have thought long and hard about where that line should be drawn. I must now ask: If last night’s blatant violations do not cross the line for you, what will?

Unfortunately, it appears there may be few if any lines that President Trump is not willing to cross, so you will probably be faced with this terrible question again in the coming days. You may be asked to take, or to direct the men and women serving in the U.S. military to take, actions that further undermine the Cons ution and harm Americans.

As a concerned citizen, and as a former senior defense official who cares deeply about the military, I urge you to consider closely both your future actions and your future words. For example, some could interpret literally your suggestion to the nation’s governors Monday that they need to “dominate the battlespace.” I cannot believe that you see the United States as a “battlespace,” or that you believe our citizens must be “dominated.” Such language sends an extremely dangerous signal.

You have made life-and-death decisions in combat overseas; soon you may be asked to make life-and-death decisions about using the military on American streets and against Americans. Where will you draw the line, and when will you draw it?

I hope this letter of resignation will encourage you to again contemplate the obligations you undertook in your oath of office, as well as your obligations to the men and women in our military and other Americans whose lives may be at stake. In the event that at least some other senior officials may be inclined to ask these questions after reading this letter, I am making it public.

I wish you the best, in very difficult times. The sanc y of the U.S. Cons ution, and the lives of Americans, may depend on your choices.

Sincerely,
    James N. Miller

----

James N. Miller served as under secretary of defense for policy from 2012 to 2014. He provided The Post with a copy of his resignation letter, which he submitted to Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper on Tuesday evening.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...g/?arc404=true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The media that works in lockstep with Democrats is working on their new narrative.
    are these the filthy democrats you are referring to?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    are these the filthy democrats you are referring to?

I'm talking about the assholes that are basically silent about a pandemic all of a sudden but when conservatives were protesting they were painted as mass murderers, racists, and people undeserving of medical care.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "they"

Thread Information